Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Oh my...i need some help...

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Oh my...i need some help...

Old 08-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Microz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh my...i need some help...

Hey there. So i have only two "large" planes, and im now concerned. After reading about peoples fingers being chopped off from those props, im concerned. The precautions i take are:

I have a throttle cut programmed into my radio, and i keep that switch activated when the plane is powered up on the ground, during preflight checks.

I ALWAYS stand behind the plane, and keep clear from the prop.

When working on the plane, i NEVER have anything plugged in... i plug everything in when im done working on it, and i test it outside...not inside.

I ALWAYS plug the battery in from BEHIND the plane.

Thats all the precautions I've been taking from day 1, but im still worried about being bitten by a prop...any advice or comments on my precautions? I would absolutely hate to be bitten by one. Any other precautions i should take?

Also, sorry if this is the wrong section to post in. Couldn't find any other section.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:35 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: Oh my...i need some help...

It sounds like your safety procedures are good. The main thing is to respect the prop and treat it like it could start at any moment when the battery is plugged in, even if you do have a throttle kill switch.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:39 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Treat it as you would any power equipment.  With care and respect.

We get hurt when we get careless or complacent. 
Old 08-04-2012, 08:26 PM
Microz

Thanks guys. Yeah i will make sure not to become careless...heck, i still monitor my lipos by sitting right next to them the whole time. Anyone else want to share their opinions?
Old 08-04-2012, 10:46 PM
ScottMcM
My Feedback: (66)

It's not only the big planes/engines that will take a finger. I lost mine to a Saito 130...a small twin. I stumbled on a piece of plywood under my tuning table. Right hand, index finger, first joint....stupid hurts[:@]
Old 08-05-2012, 01:00 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you are running electric always take the prop off when working on or setting-up the plane as a "whoops" program error on the transmitter can start up the motor .
Old 08-05-2012, 06:40 AM
Microz

Okay thank you guys. Whenever im working on the plane though, I have nothing plugged in, and then when im setting it up, its usually not plugged in. I only plug it in really right before flying.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:53 AM
Lamoilleriver

From a boss a long time ago at a manufacturing facility(Cleaned up for RCU), never place your fingers in anyplace where you wouldn't place your "manhood". Yes, I still have 10 fingers.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:42 AM
topspin

ORIGINAL: Lamoilleriver

From a boss a long time ago at a manufacturing facility(Cleaned up for RCU), never place your fingers in anyplace where you wouldn't place your ''manhood''. Yes, I still have 10 fingers.

LOL.... I still have the scars on my right hand from a 10 inch APC prop 10 years ago and it was only connected to a geared 400 brushed mortor. I got five stiches on the back of my hand and learned that even electric planes can hurt you.[X(]