Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

London Olympics are fantastic!!

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

London Olympics are fantastic!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 11:55 AM
David Gladwin

Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts
Default London Olympics are fantastic!!

Not much to read on RCU this evening so a new thread, jet related because jet airliners are constantly beginning their final approach over the main event areas!

Despite the gloomy reports, ( and Romney trying to muddy the waters, but he's gone home!) the Olympics are under way and have started fantastically well:

Wonderful preOlympic concert at the Royal Albert Hall, Baranboim, Beethoven 9, West-Eastern Divan Orchestra* bringing jews and Arabs together in music. They are still putting the roof back on the RAH !

Opening ceremony truly wonderful, great success, inc HM,s arrival by jumping from helicopter with 007! Press reports v good indeed.

Daughter was at the huge party in Hyde Park reports it was a truly marvelous evening watching the opening on the big screen plus loads of live entertainment.

This morning headed to first event, dressage at Greenwich Park, wow!

Trains all had overnight wash and clean, (or so it seemed) stations spotless, loads of staff all smartly tuned out and in best of moods. All we used exactly on time, signage superb.

G4S (Grateful 4 Soldiers) may have screwed up but the military doing a fantastic security job, good humoured and efficient, brilliant, police ditto, many armed with Heck and Kocklers.

Volunteer helpers in droves, all well briefed and doing a brilliant job, even showing us to our seats!

Greenwich park facilities truly amazing in a wonderful setting, Greenwich RN College, sensational. Greenwich observatory as the other backdrop and the Cutty Sark just visible plus a wonderful view of the London Skyline.

Know little about horses but many clearly superb performances, best in world.

Trip home great, trains v busy but no long queues and everyone in great good humour.

Weather perfect, light winds partly cloudy, temp plus 22.(much nicer than last week's 30 plus)

Next event, rowing at Dorney, just 5 miles from home!

London and GB are doing themselves and the world proud!

Al that and model jet flying tomorrow!

Regards,

David.
T
* should be on everyone"s Must Do, Bucket, list. The finest music ever written played by an Orchestra devoted to music and peace. Led by a brilliant musician who has broken incredibly difficult barriers, it sells out everywhere, from Sydney to London and it is an honour to be in the audience on such a wonderful occasion. My wife and I will never forget this wonderful start to "London 2012". DO IT !

Old 07-28-2012, 12:17 PM
DominicM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: London Olympics are fantastic!!

Has indeed been a fantastic start to the Olympics. Opening Ceremony was a spectular and very British piece of theatre. Jet flying tomorrow and then a week down in Weymouth. Should be super atmosphere.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:50 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

I dont know guys everyone I talked to said it was the most boring opening ceremony they had seen at the Olympics. I know it made since to you guys but it was kinda boring, everyone on facebook was posting the same thing. I did however enjoy the 007 bit
Old 07-28-2012, 02:05 PM
Jetdktr
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn
Old 07-28-2012, 06:03 PM
jetster81

ORIGINAL: FenderBean

I dont know guys everyone I talked to said it was the most boring opening ceremony they had seen at the Olympics. I know it made since to you guys but it was kinda boring, everyone on facebook was posting the same thing. I did however enjoy the 007 bit
That's strange because all the media I have seen says the opposite

Old 07-28-2012, 06:04 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Indeed it was a great start, however the greatest thing of this olympic games is that we are being treated with incredible live images in HD in the web.. something that didn´t happened in the last games.

this is just one of many channels, with the best images of the day:

http://esportes.terra.com.br/jogos-o.../ao-vivo/1970/

Old 07-28-2012, 07:06 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Since when does media get everything right. Hey nothing personal just everyone I talked to and myself inducing found it kinda boring to others I have seen. Like I said it was ment for that region and im sure it was more exciting for you.
ORIGINAL: jetster81

Old 07-28-2012, 09:22 PM
RBardin
My Feedback: (27)

I enjoyed the opening ceremonies, but I have to ask;

Who is berners-lee?

...I thought Algore invented the internet

Old 07-28-2012, 09:30 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let the Brits have their day in the overcast... I mean sun.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:53 PM
jetster81

Perhaps it is because you and the others didn't understand it?

Since when does media get everything right. Hey nothing personal just everyone I talked to and myself inducing found it kinda boring to others I have seen. Like I said it was ment for that region and im sure it was more exciting for you.
ORIGINAL: jetster81

Old 07-28-2012, 11:02 PM
TimWatson
Banned

I thought the opening ceremony was incredible and very well put together. The UK did themselves and the rest of the world proud in my opinion.

for those that did not understand it it charted the birth of the UK and traced various aspects of our history. All it needed was a flypast by the Red Arrows (The Worlds best display team) but at night not possible
Old 07-28-2012, 11:19 PM
ViperOneNL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess Fender has a point, many people i spoke to in the Netherlands found it boring....

However I loved it because it showed how the British charish their history.

Everyone its own I guess......

Realy liked the way the flame was constructed.

Cheers,

Mick.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:16 AM
shorty55

It's called having a history of more than 200 years!
Not exciting, ok exciting may not be the word but its called imagination, not fireworks, noise and razamataz etc,this is GREAT Britain!
Nick in the UK!
Old 07-29-2012, 01:42 AM
alasdair

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

All credit to Danny Boyle, he put on a great show with elements to appeal to everyone.

Those who found it boring probably just don't understand it. I myself was less than enthralled by dizzy Rascal and Arctic monkeys, but I am sure it appealed to the younger generation.

Some of the big set pieces, like the forged Olympic Rings, and the cycling doves, were inspirational.
And so was the Bond bit, and Rowan Atkinson.

It is a shame that the queen and Phil fell asleep by the time the GB team entered, I thought they ought to have been on their feet waving like all the other countries' VIP representatives e.g. Michelle Obama. It was pretty late I suppose.

What about that old German VIP guy saluting the entry of the German team with a barely disguised Nazi salute? And Camilla and Boris were sitting right behind him, open mouthed in amazment. I'm surprised there was no mention in the press about that.

Good show Danny, as we have come to expect from you.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:49 AM
pmerritt
My Feedback: (118)

I see they found some fresh lipos to put in the Queen.  She was actually animate this outing.  NICE JOB. 
Old 07-29-2012, 04:10 AM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

.. for the ones who asking them self if Olympic Games are more than Harry Potter and James Bond,read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Games

By the way ,how about now you bring back the Athens Parthenon Marbles you stole [:'(] back to where they belong http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elgin_Marbles

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72539.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	1787198  
Old 07-29-2012, 04:26 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

I thought it was great. Of course we don't understand part of the UK history. I'm sure for them it was awesome.
Now do you British have TFRs?. If the Olympics were in Fl for sure we modelers could not fly x 2 weeks due to our stupid FAA and theTemporary Flight Restrictions due to VIP movements in the area. 
They should have a pattern competition in the Olympics.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:26 AM
jetster81

ORIGINAL: lopflyers

I thought it was great. Of course we don't understand part of the UK history. I'm sure for them it was awesome.
Now do you British have TFRs?. If the Olympics were in Fl for sure we modelers could not fly x 2 weeks due to our stupid FAA and theTemporary Flight Restrictions due to VIP movements in the area.
They should have a pattern competition in the Olympics.
Yep there are restrictions for both full size and Models in and around London at present

And yes there should be Model flying competition in the Olympics, it was mooted a few years ago I remember after MF was recognised as a sport and not a pastime but I have heard nothing since.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:35 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

I think EVERY Olympic opening/ closing ceremony was & will be boring, it's designed to please the masses and that it does. The real interest in the Olympics are the performances (or the lack of; sorry Phelps)
Old 07-29-2012, 06:47 AM
TimWatson
Banned

If anyone found the opening event boreing I think they should look to themselves and ask themselves a few questions about their lives

Old 07-29-2012, 07:01 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: TimWatson

If anyone found the opening event boreing I think they should look to themselves and ask themselves a few questions about their lives

I have to agree, it was an excellent opening and a great show. I thought the Arctic Monkeys nailed it.

However, I think the biggest icon of British history was missing: Benny Hill.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:05 AM
Jgwright

It seems the problem for those in the US was they were the only country in the world not to take the opening ceremony live and edited it/ censored it. So much for freedom of speech!

http://ca.music.yahoo.com/blogs/hear...223148511.html

Personally I thought the ceremony was well done and reflected our identity and sense of humour, I thought Rowan Atkinson was very funny.

John

Old 07-29-2012, 07:11 AM
3dean

delete this useless thread
Old 07-29-2012, 08:09 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: FalconWings

ORIGINAL: TimWatson

I thought the Arctic Monkeys nailed it.

Don't forget the sheep
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40571.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	257.6 KB
ID:	1787223  
Old 07-29-2012, 08:47 AM
jimmac

Who cares there are a lot better things our country could do with the money being wasted here. As someone I spoke to yesterday said the Olympics should only be held in Greece and all the countries who want to play games can contribute making it cheaper for everyone. In the middle of this financial climate this money is only being used to swell the ego's of the prats supposedly running it. And it has been a shambles they can't give away tickets for the football/soccer, and on the news this morning there is a call for an enquiry into the rows of empty seats at supposedly sold out venues.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.