The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

I am depressed!

Old 08-10-2012, 09:12 PM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default I am depressed!

I am depressed! I called my local hobby shop today about a 6V Rx battery pack. I said I was looking for a 6v NiMH 5C AAA 1000 mah pack for a pylon racer. I talked to 2 guys that knew absolutely nothing about what I was talking about. A very simple question. 15 minutes on my cell phone.

I was told... "we have a couple 9. 6 V 1600 packs". "No those are Tx packs"..... " well you could use a regulator"

"What is the cell size?"..........."They are for JR,Hitec,Airtronics, Universal"

My local hobby shop has become a "Toy Store"

I can go online and get exactly what I am looking for in seconds. Order it and move on.

Why should I continue to support the LHS when such ignorance exists?

Very sad! Sad,sad,sad!

Speedy G

Old 08-10-2012, 10:03 PM
kiwibob72

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: I am depressed!

Shame, but it happens, so time to move on I guess (I normally find it's normally ignorance or arrogance. Most stores I have dealt with are either staffed by muppets, or they are up themselves little plonkers who are shocked your wasting their model setup time with things like questions or sales in stuff)
Old 08-11-2012, 02:59 AM
Rodney

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There are no AAA packs with that capacity that I know off. You may have to to to AA.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:33 AM
GaryHarris

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Your pretty much going to have to step up to AA like Rodney said. I would even consider going to 2/3A. Check Max Amps and Cheap Battery Packs dot com.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:40 AM
Speedy-Gonzales

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Rodney

There are no AAA packs with that capacity that I know off. You may have to to to AA.
Untrue! Look here.
http://www.batteriesamerica.com/newpage8.htm#RECEIVER PACKS

Halfway down the page. Quite common battery actually.

HR-4U-1000 1000mAh (AAA)
Super high capacity & high quality in AAA size 4.8v with leads: $16.00 BUY
4.8v with connector: $19.00 BUY 6.0v with leads: $19.00 BUY
6.0v with conn: $22.00 BUY
Old 08-11-2012, 05:46 AM
jester_s1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I could see if you were looking for a cowl to fit a Spad 13, unknown maker that's about 20 years old that you might expect that response (although it's still their job to help you find what you need), but not knowing what a receiver pack is is unacceptable even for a guy who is in his first day of the job. I'd shoot an email to the owner to let him know his counter guys are in need of some remedial training pronto.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:54 AM
GaryHarris

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Speedy-Gonzales

ORIGINAL: Rodney

Untrue! Look here.
http://www.batteriesamerica.com/newpage8.htm#RECEIVER PACKS

Halfway down the page. Quite common battery actually.

HR-4U-1000 1000mAh (AAA)
Super high capacity & high quality in AAA size 4.8v with leads: $16.00 BUY
4.8v with connector: $19.00 BUY 6.0v with leads: $19.00 BUY
6.0v with conn: $22.00 BUY

After close to 20 years of racing electric RC cars, I don't believe those numbers. The best AAA's I can find for my Mini Z are under a 1000 mAh. Battery company's are well known to fudge their numbers.

http://www.reflexracing.net/R1-Wurks...es-_p_791.html
Old 08-11-2012, 05:59 AM
carrellh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

While I agree they should know what you are talking about, I would not expect any LHS to have that pack in stock. We have some pretty decent shops within an hour's drive and I doubt that any of them would have anything smaller than a AA pack on the shelf.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:19 AM
ameyam

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

True about the LHS. Sometimes... make that very often... they have no idea what they are selling. Thats quite OK if you know what you want. Some would say that water flows both ways.

Your LHS has probably moved into "toys" to be able to survive the recession. The few we have are doing the same. It would be quite difficult for you to obtain AAA battery packs. Why dont you make them yourself?

Ameyam
Old 08-11-2012, 06:32 AM
carrellh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Radical RC has AAA packs using Sanyo NiMH HR-AAAU 1000 cells
http://www.radicalrc.com/category/Re...-NiMH-Packs-19

edit > I think they are the same cells as the other link
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55373.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	1790897  
Old 08-11-2012, 06:34 AM
Speedy-Gonzales

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

True...the 1000 mah AAA is not a common over the shelf item for a LHS but I stated to the attendant I would be willing to utilize a smaller capacity battery. All I could hear in the background was shuffling,mumbling, and confusion.

Last week I went to the same HS for some APC 9x6 props for my 424 quickee pylon racer. Now mind you a 9x6 prop is a common item. None in stock and when I inquired about ordering them the OWNER said they had not ordered that size/brand prop in 6 years. This HS is in a large city in N/E Indiana and there is a local club that flys 424 pylon. I'm sure the locals are going elsewhere for their supplies too.

I like to go to my LHS with my business first but for the last year it seems to be an act in futility and I simply go online.

Now take this into consideration. This same HS has an online business and they do a very large volume of sales online but walk in the same store off the street and you get nothing. I am keeping the Hobby Shop's name confidentialsince it is not my intention to bring anyone's business down. Times are bad enough the way it is these days for business owners.

How is it at your LHS? Have you noticed a transition from a true "Hobby Shop" with a knowledgable staff, to becoming a "Toy Store"? I know sales are important but can't you have the best of both worlds when walking into your LHS?

I guess I may be a bit pretentious here since I have never ran a Hobby Shop. I'm sure it is not easy or every corner would have a Hobby Shop on it.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:51 AM
Speedy-Gonzales

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Batteries America ( E.H. Yost & Company ) is possibly the largest and most reputable supplier of batteries for the R/C hobby. I have been buying batts from them for over 20 years and never a pack that was DOA or under spec. A top notch supplier that I have trusted my models and wallet to for a long time and will continue to do so in the future.

You should give them a try. I always attend the TOLEDO R/C expo every spring and I make it a point to buy what I can from them at the EXPO. They have special pricing and no shipping too.

SPEEDY
Old 08-11-2012, 07:38 AM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Have you tried a LiFePo4 receiver pack yet?  A lot of folks are going to those.  I've not tried one yet, but supposedly they're smaller, lighter and last longer without the "problems" associated with LiPo's:   

On the hobby shop, I'm fairly lucky.....  my guy is very helpful and although you have to wait your turn sometimes as he's a "one guy shop" deal, he'll talk with you about something as long as you need and if he doesn't have it, it'll be in Wednesday or Friday.  If your shop has a growing online presence, it may just be that they want to go totally online and don't really care about their walk in customers.  You'd think they would at least try to transition you to their online outlet to retain you as a customer.... go figure.  I'm with Jester, I think I'd call or email the owner and let him know what you experienced, not to try to get the other guy in trouble, but just to let the owner know of your experience because the other guy obviously needs some training.  Depending on what kind of reception you got there, I might do all my shopping online from then on other than "emergency supplies" you might need from them or fuel and the such.....  Good luck with it!

Pat
Old 08-11-2012, 07:51 AM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Oh and for that battery I listed, HobbyKing's stuff is usually a little heavier than they list....  I think they weigh batteries without the wires on or something, so that one would probably be a little heavier than the 65g they list, but I think the LiFePo4 batteries are still a good bit lighter than the NiMH and NiCd batteries.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:40 AM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You'll find them at Walmart. AAA, 1000 mah Duracell, less then $10, then make a trip to Radio Shack, get a battery holder and solder your connect on this. Fast, cheap, easy. I have some in the smaller planes, they work great.

Our LHS is about 1 hour away, they never have the props I need, push rods no longer then 12", silicone fuel line is out,
of course no gasoline fuel line 'you can use silicone', no planes over 40 size, glow planes disappear slowly, being replaced by toy planes.

So only reason to still go there is to buy glow fuel, until I figure some other source and mix my own.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:35 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Something not right with this post. Jusy check out this members profile and you will understand my apprehension.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:44 AM
GaryHarris

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No Duaracells.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:18 AM
lopflyers

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

[8D]I guess I'm lucky, my LHS is owened by a very knowledgeable guy, he flies himself and hire only people that knows the business.
One day I was buying a prop for one plane and one of the guys told me he has the same plane and it flies better with this other prop.
That save me from experimenting. Although this shop is well stock if there is something I can't find there, i live 30 mins away from Graves.
This is a hughe hobby shop that has almost everything in stock.

About the battery, why you want a AAA.? All I have for all of my receivers are 6v 2000 mAh Nimh or Life.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:19 AM
lopflyers

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I forgot to mention it by name, Bobs Hobby Shop in Orlando Fl. The owner's name is Steve
Old 08-11-2012, 11:52 AM
Speedy-Gonzales

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: flycatch

Something not right with this post. Jusy check out this members profile and you will understand my apprehension.
Show me one single thing associated with my profile that leads you to be suspicious about anything. What ( or who) exactly are you talking about in your quote above?

Speedy-Gonzales
Old 08-11-2012, 12:57 PM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Speedy-Gonzales

ORIGINAL: flycatch

Show me one single thing associated with my profile that leads you to be suspicious about anything. What ( or who) exactly are you talking about in your quote above?

Speedy-Gonzales

Speedy, I agree. I don't get his post at all.

Also, I was just getting ready to post about my lhs. I needed ball links and nyrods. Figured I would Do the right thing and make the 40 minute drive to support him.

I found one package of 2-56 rods with clevis's and a package of 4-40 ball links. What little else that was there was for micros. Sorry if his sounds harsh, but I've had it with the lhs expierence. Not since I lived in upstat ny I have had a decent shop. I live on long island, which has a huge amount of rc going on but there is not a single shop that is worth visiting. I mean seriously, I don't expect a lhs to carry DA's, or 18mz's but come on, I can't even get the basics anymore? And I'm tired of hearing " I don't have it, but can order it". Guess what ? Me too.

So sorry to say, I'm done with trying to support the local guy. If they can't make the smallest effort to support their local flyers with the basics and are only concerned with the same crappy toy grade rc you can get in the shopping malls, then I will no longer feel an ounce of guilt for spending my money elsewhere.

Flame suit on
Old 08-11-2012, 01:45 PM
OliverJacob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Maybe you can enlighten everone and explain your statement 'no duaracell', Mr Harris?
Other brands work fine as well, such as Rayovac. Itest the capacity and take them back to the store if they are no good.
Of course they are no good for high power applications, a small plane with standard analog servos will do fine with this battery.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:11 PM
Boomerang1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I can go online and get exactly what I am looking for in seconds. Order it and move on.

Why should I continue to support the LHS when such ignorance exists?

Very sad! Sad,sad,sad!

Speedy G
Part of the downward spiral of retailing I'm affraid.

On line = no stock, no premesis, no staff, no insurances etc. You order from the flashy website (one or two guys in an office (garage?)
they then order from a supplier & on ship to you. I'm sure some biggies like Tower have stock & staff but they keep costs down through volume.

LHS = rent, insurances, staff entitlements, uniforms, stock, every expense you cann think of down to soap & toilet paper in the crapper.

Oh, almost forgot, the staff like some reward for turning up as well! The staff traditionally seem to be modellers between jobs or young kids
earning pocket money.

There's the problem ....... Pay peanuts, get monkeys.

John.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:16 PM
wldhair
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I went to my LHS today to get some nylon wing bolts - nothing special 1/4 20- he didn't have them ....I couldn't believe it (BTW my LHS is 60 miles away thank God that wasn't the only reason I went to town)
I mean thats like going to Dairy Queen and they're out of ice cream !!!!
Seems like everybody is going towards foamy stuff (nothing against foamy stuff fly what you wanna fly)
Guess I'll have to order on line .
Old 08-11-2012, 02:41 PM
OliverJacob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Would be great if they would employ some modellers. Not so around here. They find some cheap labor, someone who does not have a real job or a kid and they can't afford the hobby.

Most online stores here do have their own warehouse, employees, insurance and all the costs. Property taxes or rent might be lower since they don't have to be in a popular location. Some are in a dense area and still be cheaper then anybody else. Like Value Hobby - located close to Chicago sells a 60 size Stick plane for $88. The LHS has the same plane with the Great Planes label for $199.

I am ok with paying some extra $ to get my part right away. I payed $8 for a 6"servo extension, because I needed one. I can get the same from China for 30 cents - no difference in the quality at all.

The Problem is the selection you get there. No fuel line?4-40 push rods, but only 2-56 links and no 2-56 rods? give me a break, that list goes on and on.

So no, I am not happy with this LHS. I do not need anybodys help there, I know which parts I need.

I went to Milwaukee the other day and it was even worse - just looking for some covering at Hobbytown USA. They had a whopping selection of 5 rolls, nothing popular of course. 2X Orange,2X Green and Yellow - no , you can't have every part someone is looking for, but this is just a joke.

Now with my 18+airplans from 1/2 a to giant scale, Ihave all the standard parts in my hobby room. I bet I have a better selection then my LHS.
Too bad for their business, but I just get my things online, pay for the shipping and wait a week or two.

I hope most of your have more luck with your LHS.

Another problem is the recent hike in prices on arfs and kits. I just got an elder kit, this one sells now for $119 retail at Tower or Hobby shops. It's a box of sticks, no tank, wheels, pilot, gun or other little details you see on the box. So adding up all the little things, covering, paint, glue you are getting close to $200.
You can buy an 40 size arf for half that price, which is mostly assembled and someone else did a perfect covering job.

But thats a different story. Our Hobby shop owners don't do a good job of finding better suppliers, nor do they ever show up on any flying events. They could sell tons of parts and planes there and could get a better relationship to the local fliers.
On these events you'll meet a ton of spectators, you could easily talk some of them into buying a model right there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service