Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Grammar

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 11:21 PM
the pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Grammar

Im a shocker for spelling correctly but as long as you get your point across who gives a toss ? Im 50 now so it isnt going to change now and im over worrying about it . Sounds like some frustrated teachers here and if thats true its all YOUR fault ! Cheers the pope
Old 08-15-2012, 02:07 AM
oliveDrab

ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

i tend to slack off and type more loosely on forums... i know i shouldnt because when it comes time for the real thing, those nasty habits sneak in there... like usin a lot of''...'' when just a period is sufficient... or saying prolly or yur instead of spelling it correctly... but ohh well

- lots of lower case "i". Use upper case when using "i" to refer to yourself. "I tend to slack off....." "I know I shouldn't......."
- the contraction "shouldnt" needs an apostrophe, "shouldn't". Or simply say "should not".
- I knew an Indian guy who was wondering why "amn't" is not used as in "I amn't going to fly electric planes" or "I amn't going to eat broccoli". There is no "amn't". Use "am not" instead of "amn't". "I am not going to eat my vegetables".
- "usin" should be "using".
- "prolly" should prolly be "probably".
- "yur" should be either "ur" if ur texting on a cell phone or "you're" or "your" if you're speaking English like they taught us in grade school. There's a difference between "your" and "you're". "Your" means something that belongs to you such as "your dog" or "your cat" or "your airplane". "You're" is a contraction of "you are". Example: "You are getting ready to reach through the internet and strangle me".

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

"Cowboys" is incorrect. Cows is girls and bulls is boys. It should be "Cowgirls" and "Bullboys". Gallagher

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:27 AM
michaelj878
My Feedback: (6)

also, when did aeroplane become airplane, go AND get become go get, let alone the LIKE word used over and over and over you know like blah blah, i think i will put my blinkers on and go and fly my AEROPLANES
Old 08-15-2012, 02:42 AM
oliveDrab

To all of our friends from "down under": have you guyz ever seen the movie "Australia" with Hugh Jackman and Nicole Kidman? I love that movie. Can't stop watching it.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:54 AM
Kaos Rulz

ORIGINAL: acerc

Is it just me? Or is the lack of grammar as well as proper spelling becoming rampant?
Even in the ads here on RCU there are misspelled words as well as the improper use of grammar.
Here is an example,

Here is the way I would have written this:

Is it just me, or is the lack of grammar, as well as proper spelling becoming rampant?
Even in the ads on RCU there are misspelled words, as well as the improper use of grammar.
Here is an example:

Not to say my way is correct, or better, just the way I would have communicated.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:18 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it just me? Or is the lack of grammar as well as proper spelling becoming rampant?
Even in the ads here on RCU there are misspelled words as well as the improper use of grammar.
Here is an example,
It is not just you and it is rampant. I deal with it all the time and it is really an aggravation and what is even worse is that overall it dumbs down the one that does not understand even more. People cannot spell, have poor grammatical skills, and most could care less about it.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:24 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

By the way, I am old enough now that I don't care as much, however I do see the affects that these poor skills have had upon our youth. I don't pay as much attention to my spelling, word usage, or grammar in the forums as I should.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:30 AM
capngoggles

Should that be effects instead of affects?
Old 08-15-2012, 05:05 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

Instead of worrying about
ORIGINAL: Luchnia

By the way, I am old enough now that I don't care as much, however I do see the affects that these poor skills have had upon our youth. I don't pay as much attention to my spelling, word usage, or grammar in the forums as I should.
Instead of worrying about grammar, just get the message, If you were walking into an area that said "DANGER MINE FEELD" WILL YOU GET THE MESSAGE?
The mistakes happen every now and then, not that drastic
Old 08-15-2012, 05:19 AM
badazzgti03
My Feedback: (4)

honestly? Who gives a crap! as long it's to the point and you can understand it.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:00 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

I guess. We can all point, grunt, and wail. That eventually gets the point across too.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:19 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When our present generation does nothing but TWIT. Do you really expect them to know how to spell or use proper grammar ? [&o]
Old 08-15-2012, 06:28 AM
mogman

ORIGINAL: badazzgti03

honestly? Who gives a crap! as long it's to the point and you can understand it.

This is a perfect example of the way a lot people are these days. They just go through life with a seemingly bad attitude, along with poor to non-existant language and grammar skills, most likely a result of the rapidly declining education system. It's the "ME" generation. Young people today are generally lazy, have no regard for rules and care little for anyone but themselves. You can see it in the way they dress and carry themselves, most want instant gratification and are not willing to take the time to do something correctly. To them, sloppy and slovenly is good enough. Obviously, a lot of parents and teachers don't care either.
I could go on, but you can see the picture
Old 08-15-2012, 07:26 AM
Microz

Hy guyz I gt a ? 4 all of u. Is dis ez 2 undrstnd? Im sre it is.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:35 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: mogman

This is a perfect example of the way a lot people are these days. They just go through life with a seemingly bad attitude, along with poor to non-existant language and grammar skills, most likely a result of the rapidly declining education system. It's the ''ME'' generation. Young people today are generally lazy, have no regard for rules and care little for anyone but themselves. You can see it in the way they dress and carry themselves, most want instant gratification and are not willing to take the time to do something correctly. To them, sloppy and slovenly is good enough. Obviously, a lot of parents and teachers don't care either.
I could go on, but you can see the picture

Mmmm, sounds like an opinionated geezer... I am a linguist, so, I live in 2 worlds, my work that has to be published and it could be anything, written by anybody from the Secretary of State down, or a manual for a weapon system, piece of military hardware, locomotive or a health issue... and then you have the everyday chit chat in places such as this forum.

Do I re-read, correct and edit my e-mail messages in boards such as this one? No, I am sloppy, plus I have to use braces (really good for typos), and I am in and out in 15 seconds. I do understand the meaning of a message even if there is a letter missing.
You want good grammar read a good book... Oh, yes, we do no do that anymore... (well some of us still do). I got a piece where they did take out like 25% of the letters and you could perfectly read and understand the message. Most people will not see that an "s" at the end of a word is missing (for example). They will not see it, and the letter missing will not hinder the message at all... The reader WILL get it

And then you have people that obviously are lacking education which is obvious in the way they use their native language, but even somebody that can be an ignoramus, can be very knowledgeable and experienced in subjects as fishing, hunting or building model airplanes. Why would I correct this person and point out to him that he is not using his language correctly? I do that for a living (we call it editing):-)

Now, to see this happening in an ad, like the OP indicated... That is bad! I bet the guy that did the desk top publishing lost the letter when formatting the ad. Happens all the time. That's why we do post-DTP checks.

My 2 cents.

Gerry
Old 08-15-2012, 07:54 AM
WI53072

My personal favorite is the word PROBABLY that is often times mis-spelled "prolly". If I am not sure of a spelling I copy and paste that word into a word document and let word check it for me.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:46 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well this has sure turned out to be far more than I expected. It was not as much a complaint as an observation. I get that we are not going to care a great deal on here and that's ok. Yes we can usually understand the message. My ,if you will, gripe is with the ads. If they want me to buy their product's, at least put forth the effort to make the ad correct. For me this reflect's on the buisiness in a negative manner. In other words if they can not get a simple ad correct how well did they make their product's.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:12 AM
Microz

Well this has sure turned out to be far more than I expected. It was not as much a complaint as an observation. I get that we are not going to care a great deal on here and that's ok. Yes we can usually understand the message. My ,if you will, gripe is with the ads. If they want me to buy their product's, at least put forth the effort to make the ad correct. For me this reflect's on the buisiness in a negative manner. In other words if they can not get a simple ad correct how well did they make their product's.
u mispeld sumthin dude.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:21 AM
badazzgti03
My Feedback: (4)

I only use proper grammar and such ONLY when I need too. Like important Documents, letter and things like that. As stated before posting in this forum...could care less about "proper grammar". I am a very well educated man in his 30s with a college degree in Industrial design. May not have the best in spelling, grammar and punctuation but I can draw, design and build like a champ! Each to there own
Old 08-15-2012, 09:38 AM
Microz

I only use proper grammar and such ONLY when I need too. Like important Documents, letter and things like that. As stated before posting in this forum...could care less about "proper grammar". I am a very well educated man in his 30s with a college degree in Industrial design. May not have the best in spelling, grammar and punctuation but I can draw, design and build like a champ! Each to there own
+1 whos gonna look at rc forums to decide whether or not someone has good grammar? Its a dang forum.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:58 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: Microz

I only use proper grammar and such ONLY when I need too. Like important Documents, letter and things like that. As stated before posting in this forum...could care less about ''proper grammar''. I am a very well educated man in his 30s with a college degree in Industrial design. May not have the best in spelling, grammar and punctuation but I can draw, design and build like a champ! Each to there own
+1 whos gonna look at rc forums to decide whether or not someone has good grammar? Its a dang forum.

Exactly, plus if an expert shows me how to put "ribbits" in "them" wings, and he does a good job, and I am learning something, why would I point out his obvious grammar shortcomings?

Now if I would be hiring him to write a piece about the subject, I would make sure I get his approval to edit the text to make it readable..:-)

You see the "grammar police" in all kind of places. They cannot help themselves.

Me? I get upset when I buy a product, and the manual is in English, or Spanish, or German, or Italian, translated by a waiter in Taiwan, or Formosa, or the ... well you get the picture.

Gerry
Old 08-15-2012, 09:59 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Actually, employers all over are turning to online resources to judge the people that they plan on hiring. They will look at what, and how, a person posts on social media sites as well as online forums such as RCU. Many HR people feel they can get a good "feel" for how an applicant is going to behave if they were hired. They know that what happens on a resume and during an interview is only a small "snippet" and may not give them a good picture for what a person really is like. And in today's economy companies are looking to hire only those that they feel are a good fit for thier company from the start.

Ken
Old 08-15-2012, 10:24 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: RCKen

I only use proper grammar and such ONLY when I need too. Like important Documents, letter and things like that. As stated before posting in this forum...could care less about ''proper grammar''. I am a very well educated man in his 30s with a college degree in Industrial design. May not have the best in spelling, grammar and punctuation but I can draw, design and build like a champ! Each to there own

Actually, employers all over are turning to online resources to judge the people that they plan on hiring. They will look at what, and how, a person posts on social media sites as well as online forums such as RCU. Many HR people feel they can get a good ''feel'' for how an applicant is going to behave if they were hired. They know that what happens on a resume and during an interview is only a small ''snippet'' and may not give them a good picture for what a person really is like. And in today's economy companies are looking to hire only those that they feel are a good fit for thier company from the start.

Ken

Ooopsss, will have to stop posting on the "Ex-con forum" and the "50% over the speed limit forum" right now. On the other hand posting on this forum might not be a good thing either... Maybe if I change my name they will never find out. I might have to switch to the name of an unsuspecting victim...

Gerry
Old 08-15-2012, 10:32 AM
acerc

Like I said, I really don't much care what you do. I care about what I do. But when someone is trying to tell me something about what I am building, spelling and grammar does play a role in how well I listen. I will even go to their gallery to see how well they build. I have even went to their account info and viewed some of their other forum post to get a feel for their ability.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:33 AM
acerc

By the way, I have done those thing's to most who have posted here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.