Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Learn to fly ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 05:15 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Learn to fly ASAP

Here is a YouTube video of me using my teaching method. It was suggested that I post a video of my teaching method because some were skeptical of how well it worked for teaching. I've trained well over 500 over the a period of 4 decades and found out that it was very easy to teach other instructors how to use it. If the moderator has any problem with my post, please contact me before any action is taken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE0MJTfm6pw

Fliers1
Old 08-17-2012, 03:14 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Learn to fly ASAP

I have been an instructor pilot for more years than I care to think about, and as far as I am concerned there is no better way than a buddy box. Your vidieo shows one young man that spends more time looking at the transmitter than the plane, which is never a good thing. Your method reminds me of the old days of passing a transmitter back and forth, before the birth of the buddy box. I am glad that your method works for you, but I would think that there would be more that will stick with buddy boxes than switch to your method. Good Luck, Dave
Old 08-17-2012, 03:38 PM
STUKA BARRY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the advancements in simulators today, Realflight etc. kids are pretty much soloing the same day they take there first actual flight. Now with parkflyers that almost fly themselves, some newcomers to Model Aviation are not even with instructors and are flying. The buddy box system is a great tool, but even it is old school.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:11 PM
fliers1

To each his own. I've been teaching for over 40 years and at one time used the buddy-box, but thought there had to be a better way to teach. Unlike when I used the buddy-box, I now am able to teach people to fly and land ( with minmal asistance) on their very first ever lesson. Many of my students learned to fly very safely on their own within on the same day of their very first lesson.

As for the younster looking at the radio, I told him to do that. I use that as part of my teaching method. It works extremely well as a teachng tool. I've very successfully done that literally hundreds of times. Did you notice how windy it is? Most instructors I know, would not fly their own plane, let alone hand the transmitter over to a beginner, buddy-box or no buddy-box.

Why do I get the feeling that there are some out there who doesn't want to believe there just might be a an improvement over buddy-box teaching method? I've tried to pass this on to others for a long time and someone suggested that I provide proof via a Youtube video. I've even provided many testimonials and giving many in person demonstrations, yet I imagine no amount of proof would be enough for some. No, I don't have to pass the tx back and forth. lol

Fliers
Old 08-17-2012, 06:12 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

I use this method to teach and sometimes I use a buddybox. A few other instructors in the club use this method only.
I feel the student learns faster when you are on the same TX with them. I have used the buddybox when we have training days along with another instructor who stays with the student. Basically it's using this method with a buddybox attached just in case something happens.
With kids or adults my size or larger (6'3"), I use just the buddybox only as it's tough to see around them and sometimes reach around(did I just say that ?) to get your hands on the TX.
To each their own and whatever works best for you.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:06 AM
fliers1

With all due respect to those who claim to use my teaching method...they are not using my method. If they did, they would definitely not go back to using the buddy-box. I've said many times that I have literally everyone I teach using this method, takeoff, fly very confidently and land on their very first ever RC flying expeience. That I could NEVER do using the buddy-box. Now, if others say they have such positive results, then they are indeed using my method.

It doesn't matter how big the person I'm teaching is, I DO NOT HAVE TO REACH AROUND THEM. I don't know how many times I've explained in minute detail that, like in the video, I stand to the rignt and behind my students. I stand close enough so they can hear my soft spoken instructions. I only have to physically help them for no more than 5-10 minutes, total. Once more, as shown in the video.
I've sent copies of this video to several industry members, like Sig Manufacturing and they have shown much interest in what I have to offer them.

Ironically, in a way, I have the same problem with a means to rapidly creating more new RC fliers as the skeptics of my promotion method.
When I'm teaching, it is so much more confortable for both me and my student if we have the only aircraft in the air. But I am quite mindful of the safety-in- numbers concept.

I've trained others to use my method and it took less than an hour. Now they are able to have their student land on their first ever RC flying experience. No, they have to be assisted, but within several passes, most are able to land totally (maybe with verbal only help) on their own.

There are many nuances to my method that has to be learned.
Locally, several have claimed to try to use "my method", but the only thing they did was put their hand on top of their student's hand and not have a clue on what to tell their student to do. Right away, they said that this hand on hand teaching method doesn't work and the buddy-box is better. I have to totally agree with them. lol

, I don't put my hand on their hands, but put my thumb and forefinger underneath the student's thumb, which is on top of the aileron/elevator stick. Fliers1