Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Question??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Question??

Hey Guys and Gals, first time poster long time reader.

I was hanging at the flying field today and me and 2 other guys were flying and chatting a bit and got into a small debate about the origins of flight. We didn't know if it was 1903 or 1904 when the Warner brothers made the first powered flight with a human on board.. I thought it was 03 other guy thought it was 04. The engine was a issue too. I thought it was a early Ford engine before ford became a company. The other guy figured it was a early Briggs b4 he met Stratton. I'm really glad whenever with whatever engine they did it with in Kitty Hawk SC they they made that flyer fly. :-)

All I know the 3 of us had fun today. I have my 4-star 40 with os46 the other guy has a big stik 40 with a Magnum 46 and the other other guy has an electric helicoper that is pretty sweet.

Peace,
    J

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Question??

It was the Wright Brothers, 1903, and they built their own engine.
    K-Bob. The K is silent. \"The only time you can have too much fuel is if you are on fire\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There is quite a bit of evidence that the first flights in the USA were made by Agustaf Whitehead a couple of years before the Wright Brothers made theirs, also with an engine he made himself. His flights were also much longer in distance and duration than those done at Kitty Hawk.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Mr-Punk

I was hanging at the flying field today and me and 2 other guys were flying and chatting a bit and got into a small debate about the origins of flight.* We didn't know if it was 1903 or 1904 when the Warner brothers made the first powered flight with a human on board..* I thought it was 03 other guy thought it was 04.* The engine was a issue too.* I thought it was a early Ford engine before ford became a company.* The other guy figured it was a early Briggs b4 he met Stratton. * I'm really glad whenever with whatever engine they did it with in Kitty Hawk SC they they made that flyer fly. :-)*

All I know the 3 of us had fun today.* I have my 4-star 40 with os46 the other guy has a big stik 40 with a Magnum 46 and the other other guy has an electric helicoper that is pretty sweet.

Peace,
    J

No , Dude , Warner Bros was Bugs Bunny and such .... Now , As to the Wright Bros , yes , their first flight is in the history books as 1903 . in December . A funny and true side note here , is that the very first Harley Davidson motorbike was built several months earlier in that same year ! (I'm surprised that HD has never used that fact in advertising ; Something along the lines that they made man able to fly on the road before Wilbur and Orville made it happen in the air !) .....

Anyway , To continue ,

Yes , the Wrights are credited in the history books as first , but as with EVERY "invention" , these gains always come as a result of building upon the already existing technology . Could Edison have invented his light bulb had electricity not been harnessed earlier by others ? For the true origins of human flight , even powered human flight , ya gotta go all the way back to DaVinci , and follow through the work being done in both France and the US in the mid/late 1800s , , , A notable name for research is Samuel Langley . He was determined to acheive STEAM POWERED flight , and by some accounts , came close ! ( The original "Steampunk" ?!?! )

PS , before ya ask , NO ! Amelia Earhart was most certainly not the "First Female Pilot" as lots of today's generation seem to think . She just got , famously , lost ........ For the first ladys in the pilot seat ya gotta go back to Gals like Harriet Quimby , although i'm not too sure info on her is as readily available as that of later women like Earhart .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was hanging at the flying field today and me and 2 other guys were flying and chatting a bit and got into a small debate about the origins of flight.* We didn't know if it was 1903 or 1904 when the Warner brothers made the first powered flight with a human on board..* I thought it was 03 other guy thought it was 04.* The engine was a issue too.* I thought it was a early Ford engine before ford became a company.* The other guy figured it was a early Briggs b4 he met Stratton. * I'm really glad whenever with whatever engine they did it with in Kitty Hawk SC they they made that flyer fly. :-)*

All I know the 3 of us had fun today.* I have my 4-star 40 with os46 the other guy has a big stik 40 with a Magnum 46 and the other other guy has an electric helicoper that is pretty sweet.

Peace,
    J
    It was December of 1903 the first ever recorded manned flight by Wilbur and Orville Wright, a couple of bicycle mechanics, but it was Charles Taylor who made the engine for the Wright Flyer the flew for 26 seconds on that faitful day in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. In December of 2003 in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina there was a 100th Aniverary of Flight where a full scale replica of the Wright Flyer attempted to fly at the ecat moment 100 years ago. The weather was uncooperative and it did'nt happen.
    KEEP UM FLYIN

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Interestingly, while people claim that Langely achieved manned powered flight a short time before the Wrights, the person he chose to be the pilot never admitted to ever sucsessfully flying the Aerodrome. In fact, a number of years after the flights were supposed to have happened, the Smithsonian lent the Aerodrome to Glenn Curtiss to see if he could achieve flight with it, thereby proving that it could have flown before the Wrights. Curtiss did get it to fly, afte several months, and at least 40 major modifications. After that, the Smithsonian withdrew all claims, and had Langely's craft restored to it's original nearly unflyable and uncontrolable condition. Langely did get several models to fly free flight, but it seems the few attempts to fy with a pilot ran into problems with catapaulting the plane.
    In any event, the recognition for the Wrights is for haveing an aeroplane that under it's own power, ran forward untill becoming airborn, proceeded for a distance at an altitude higher than it's starting point, and landed at a point no lower than the starting point, or words to that effect. The Wright Brothers also had a plane that was controllable in pitch, yaw, and roll.
    Also, they had a newspaper photographepresent to record that first flight.
    And for the first flight, they did not use the catapault. That came later.
    There were also claims that a Gustave Whitehead was making powere flights with his own design as early as 1901, there were some claimed witnesses, but no photos. And he kind of cheated. He had a 10 hp motor driving the wheels to bring his machine up to takeoff speed. In fact, one witness claimed Whitehead drove the craft to the flying sites on the road with the wings folded against the sides with a capability of going in excess of 30 mph. Early flying car? But one of Mr. Whiteheads comments was that he almost crashed into trees on one of his flights, and found out he could control the plane by moving from side to side or front to back, unlike the Wrights who used aerodynamic controls.
    There are no existing photos of Whitehead flying a powered aircraft, but there are photos of him flying hang gliders.
    Still, the Wrights are credited with the first powered flights because they had documented witnesses that day.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Wright brothers were the first to achieve powered manned flight! Langley had much more powerful engines but his propeller developement was his downfall. He designed propellers like the ones used on boats and could not get more than 50% efficiency out of any of the ones he produced! The Wright brothers developed the first practical wind tunnel and with much testing developed a propeller that produced about 90% efficiency which is very close to what a modern day propeller performance is. Many believe that their propeller developement was their greatest achievement, even though there were many great ones! Glenn Curtis patented the aileron which replaced wing warping but was accused of stealing the design from the aerial experiment association in which Alexander Graham Bell had founded and Curtis had been a member of, but who knows for sure!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: init4fun

Peace,
    J

No , Dude , Warner Bros was Bugs Bunny and such .... Now , As to the Wright Bros , yes , their first flight is in the history books as 1903 . in December . A funny and true side note here , is that the very first Harley Davidson motorbike was built several months earlier in that same year ! (I'm surprised that HD has never used that fact in advertising ; Something along the lines that they made man able to fly on the road before Wilbur and Orville made it happen in the air !) .....

Anyway , To continue ,

Yes , the Wrights are credited in the history books as first , but as with EVERY ''invention'' , these gains always come as a result of building upon the already existing technology . Could Edison have invented his light bulb had electricity not been harnessed earlier by others ? For the true origins of human flight , even powered human flight , ya gotta go all the way back to DaVinci , and follow through the work being done in both France and the US in the mid/late 1800s , , , A notable name for research is Samuel Langley . He was determined to acheive STEAM POWERED flight , and by some accounts , came close ! ( The original ''Steampunk'' ?!?! )

PS , before ya ask , NO ! Amelia Earhart was most certainly not the ''First Female Pilot'' as lots of today's generation seem to think . She just got , famously , lost ........ For the first ladys in the pilot seat ya gotta go back to Gals like Harriet Quimby , although i'm not too sure info on her is as readily available as that of later women like Earhart .
    The cuyote has a long history in aviation pioneering, including such subjects as Acme homebuilts, pioneering glider experiments, as well as being the first to develop the human jet pack.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

me and 2 other guys were flying and chatting a bit and got into a small debate about the origins of flight.* We didn't know if it was 1903 or 1904 when the Warner brothers made the first powered flight with a human on board..* The engine was a issue too.* I thought it was a early Ford engine before ford became a company.* The other guy figured it was a early Briggs b4 he met Stratton. * *
    I'm not quite sure this comment is sincere. Questioning the year and butchering the name - especially when it can be found easily on the internet - shows a general lack of respect for such accomplishments. For a person having an interest in aviation at all, this is common knowledge. I would find it hard to believe that a milestone like this one is not taught in grade school along with other aerospace milestones such as crossing the Atlantic Ocean or landing a man on the Moon.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: H5606

me and 2 other guys were flying and chatting a bit and got into a small debate about the origins of flight.* We didn't know if it was 1903 or 1904 when the Warner brothers made the first powered flight with a human on board..* The engine was a issue too.* I thought it was a early Ford engine before ford became a company.* The other guy figured it was a early Briggs b4 he met Stratton. * *
    I'm not quite sure this comment is sincere. Questioning the year and butchering the name - especially when it can be found easily on the internet - shows a general lack of respect for such accomplishments. For a person having an interest in aviation at all, this is common knowledge. I would find it hard to believe that a milestone like this one is not taught in grade school along with other aerospace milestones such as crossing the Atlantic Ocean or landing a man on the Moon.
    What? Someone landed on the moon. When?
    Freedom Isn\'\'t Free
    USAF (Ret) 1961-1981
    Tiger Club #61

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[/quote]
    What? Someone landed on the moon. When?
    [/quote]

Don't sweat it too much; the country that is credited with doing so will likely be surpassed by China's advancing technology in due course and will rewrite history...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok look, I wasn't totally sincere 5606, In the original post. It was meant as a joke and to "poke a stick at a sleeping bull" Init4fun and Bill G caught the humor in it. :-) I have been in the hobby guys for 25+ years with 20+ flying RC and the earlier building and flying free flight-ers. I'm just me and like to fly when it's above 48deg F here. I'm in a club and AMA and like to build when I find time.

Peace,
    J

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

With a name like Mr Punk, you must have a sense of humor

Warner Brothers...
    Grammar: The difference in knowing your sh*t and knowing you\'\'re sh*t.