Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Need help with RC products

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Need help with RC products

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 06:08 AM
RC44130

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with RC products

Hello all, My name is Rodney and I'm new to this site and looking for expertise on the RC Circuit. I have a friend who is very ill and asked me to sell his RC collection to help cover exspenses. He has a pretty large collection including boxes and boxes of parts including tires wheels gas motors exhausts paint you name it it's here. He has about 11 cars maybe 4 or 5 are nitro powered the rest are battery. He has gas powered boats that are pretty large maybe 3-4 feet long. One helicopter. If there is anyway someone could call me or give me direction on what the approximate value is. He's very ill and states that one car has $3000 into it and I should sell it for $2000. Well I've done some research and prolly not $3000. That's why I'm so confused! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rodney 216-577-6261
Old 08-20-2012, 06:59 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: Need help with RC products

ORIGINAL: RC44130

Hello all, My name is Rodney and I'm new to this site and looking for expertise on the RC Circuit. I have a friend who is very ill and asked me to sell his RC collection to help cover exspenses. He has a pretty large collection including boxes and boxes of parts including tires wheels gas motors exhausts paint you name it it's here. He has about 11 cars maybe 4 or 5 are nitro powered the rest are battery. He has gas powered boats that are pretty large maybe 3-4 feet long. One helicopter. If there is anyway someone could call me or give me direction on what the approximate value is. He's very ill and states that one car has $3000 into it and I should sell it for $2000. Well I've done some research and prolly not $3000. That's why I'm so confused! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rodney 216-577-6261

[:@] Your gonna have several problems , the first being cred . While your story of the sick friend may indeed be true , there have been HUNDREDS of scammers through here with the sick friend story !

If your friend has so much into these cars , there is NO way that he is not affiliated with some hobby shop , group of friends who are also RCers , or someone who knows exactly what he's got and what it's all worth .

[8D] If your story of the sick friend is true , , , , I truly wish you and your sick friend the best ........

[:@] And if it's not , KARMA is a force best not , , , messed with !
Old 08-20-2012, 07:13 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my opinion almost all RC items are worth and typically sell 50-60% of list . There are certain exceptions.
Depending how they were used and cared for, cars/trucks and helicopters tend to either get beat-up and wear out faster than planes. The resale on these may be less ,again depending how/if they were ever run and how well they were cared for.
I would try and get a list together and do your own research (search the classified section here and elsewhere) on what they cost new and what they have been selling for used to set your price barometer ,then list them for sale . Or post a detailed list with pics here in the appropriate forum sections and get some feedback.

Good luck and good luck to your friend.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:44 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

First thing you need to do is take some pics of each car and have your friend write down what they are and what parts are in them, then you can research here on RCU or on eBay or other sites the typical selling price of those particular items. Keep in mind that price can vary widely depending upon condition and age. Take some time to educate yourself on what you are selling and only then list them for sale. I've seen plenty of the "I don't know anything" ads get sold for pennies on the dollar. In my experience, RC cars take a huge beating on value. It's not hard to imagine, say a top of the line Serpent 1/8 scale road car with $3k into it, but you'll never get near that back out.

For the best return, you'll need to sell on eBay. Most RC forums sell well below eBay prices, even after their fees. New parts need to be sold individually, or grouped in small lots. Used parts can be grouped by car model, etc. Cars could be sold RTR with matching radio, but expect to discount it heavily to sell that way.

It would also be wise to get one of your friends RC buddies over to help out with this, you should really run the cars and make sure they are 100% as described, or you're asking for problems and Paypal claims.

I wish you best of luck on this, it's huge undertaking, or your friend should be willing to take a bath on them if you have one person buy the lot.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:29 AM
RC44130

I do understand some concerns about fraud and apperciate any advice giving to me on this site, nor was I asking anyone to buy anythng. And my main point of sale will prolly be e-bay was just looking for some advice on where to start looking. it's all very confusing and there is so much stuff to go through. Theres boxes and boxes of nitro engines wheels tires body parts remote control hand helds boxes of paint. lol Thanks for any help. Will post some pics of this stuff and see if anything jumps out at anyone
Old 08-21-2012, 05:41 AM
KW_Counter

RC44130,

I just finished selling my buddies estate for his children, mostly plane stuff.

Your biggest values may be in the engines.
Make sure they run properly and are cleaned up.

You will never get back what was put into the cars.
If you can state what the upgrades are it will help, only help.
A $200 car with $2,000 of upgrades probably won't get you $200.
At least you can ship cars - planes not so easy.

The parts, group them in like batches and good luck
Most of that stuff won't be worth the hassle.
The stuff is valuable to the owner but probably to no one else.
It is of unknown quality with high shipping costs.
You may look to see if there are any upcoming swap meets in your area.

I found the USPS easiest to ship with.
They will even supply you with boxes for free.

Good Luck,
KW_Counter
Old 08-21-2012, 07:28 AM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

I just sold off a friend's estate for his widow, and we received about 10 cents on the dollar. Seems to be the going rate around here.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:47 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Rodney, I'm kinda near by I'd be happy to look at the stuff and let you know what i think.

Biggest reality is RC Car/Truck stuff depreciates like no other RC items,, the hobby changes so fast and most guys that are really into RC cars/truck want the newest stuff, once a car is 2-3 years old it's pretty much obsolete. If it's more that 5 years old you're lucky to give it away as replacement parts get hard to find. Some time you can make ore parting it out than selling as a complete chassis.

Like KW says the Engines might have some value if they are quality top of the line engines, a lot of so so product out there that is very hard to sell.

I don't know when I could get out your way, but if you could bring some of the stuff out Saturday to our club field in Grafton, I'll be out there all day at our Warbird event.