Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

What size of RC planes do you like?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

What size of RC planes do you like?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 04:53 PM
psb667

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What size of RC planes do you like?

Fly them all wind or no wind learn to make the little ones land and the big ones fly longer on gasoline.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:22 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

I LIKE PLANES IN THE 60 TO 73 RANGE.EASIER TO SEE AND FLY.i HAVE AN EXPLORER AND THE PLANE MUST FIT OTHERWISE i DONT GET IT.CAN BE GAS OR NITRO OR EVEN ELECTRIC.i RECENTLY BUILT A SCALE PLANE AND FOUND i LOVE DOING THAT TOO.i DONT CARE WHAT EVERYONE FLIES i FINALLY DECIDED i WILL BUILD AND FLY WHAT PLEASES ME.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:13 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

40 to 60 size is the sweet spot for me. Big enough to have some stability in the wind but still economical to build and fly. Cost goes up dramatically as they get larger.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:23 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

ORIGINAL: Microz
Yeah thats actually very true. They bounce around quite a bit in the wind and landing, unlike my two larger planes, but I've heard this new AS3X technology is supposed to smoothen it out? (wind that is..not landing bounce).
I like big planes, have .60 size Hellcat, and up to a 1/5.5 Skymaster L-39.

But, I just got for a birthday present a UMX MiG-15 with "AS3X" technology. I had no idea what that is. Well, let me say this little micro EDF flies like it's on rails!! Man, this thing rocks. The small size makes it look as fast as a bigger plane (yes, it can get small if you're not careful.) And it's not hard to land, either. I'm very impressed with it!
Old 08-22-2012, 06:26 PM
Microz

ORIGINAL: VF84sluggo

Yeah thats actually very true. They bounce around quite a bit in the wind and landing, unlike my two larger planes, but I've heard this new AS3X technology is supposed to smoothen it out? (wind that is..not landing bounce).
I like big planes, have .60 size Hellcat, and up to a 1/5.5 Skymaster L-39.

But, I just got for a birthday present a UMX MiG-15 with "AS3X" technology. I had no idea what that is. Well, let me say this little micro EDF flies like it's on rails!! Man, this thing rocks. The small size makes it look as fast as a bigger plane (yes, it can get small if you're not careful.) And it's not hard to land, either. I'm very impressed with it!
Cool I've been thinking of getting one! Question here...does AS3X make the small MiG "feel" like a larger plane? I heard it should...

Old 08-22-2012, 06:52 PM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

10 foot, plus wingspan. The bigger, the better.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:06 PM
Johnny_Zero
My Feedback: (44)

Hey. Just thought it would be interesting to hear what size of RC planes you guys out there like. Me personally, I like micro rc planes such as the parkzone Ultra Micros and E-flite Ultra Micro Extremes (hence my username ). One reason is because they are so small that its easy to store and transport them. They also aren't very costly which is a big concern for me being only 15 years old. When you crash...theres a very low chance that you will break something, and when you do, a little glue and you are back up in the air! Batteries are small and cheap, no need to buy $40 batteries or batteries that look like huge bricks!!! There is also no need to join a club. You can fly these almost anywhere...i prefer a school field. So what size or RC planes do you like and why?

This seems odd...............
Old 08-22-2012, 07:09 PM
Johnny_Zero

You must transport them in a pick up truck or maybe a very large SUV then! I transport my planes in a Volkswagen Jetta so you get the idea...

Thought you said that you are 15. Just how do YOU transport your planes without a drivers license?
Old 08-22-2012, 08:01 PM
bens123benjamin

Yeah! i would go for the smaller planes  But the bigger planes do seem more fun just  i live next to a lake and if i lost a plane like some of you guys got i would lose a lot of money
Old 08-22-2012, 08:04 PM
Microz

ORIGINAL: Johnny_Zero

You must transport them in a pick up truck or maybe a very large SUV then! I transport my planes in a Volkswagen Jetta so you get the idea...

Thought you said that you are 15. Just how do YOU transport your planes without a drivers license?
My daddy is the driver.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:05 PM
Johnny_Zero

ORIGINAL: bens123benjamin

Yeah! i would go for the smaller planes But the bigger planes do seem more fun just i live next to a lake and if i lost a plane like some of you guys got i would lose a lot of money

LOL!!!!!!!
Old 08-22-2012, 08:05 PM
Microz

ORIGINAL: Johnny_Zero

Hey. Just thought it would be interesting to hear what size of RC planes you guys out there like. Me personally, I like micro rc planes such as the parkzone Ultra Micros and E-flite Ultra Micro Extremes (hence my username ). One reason is because they are so small that its easy to store and transport them. They also aren't very costly which is a big concern for me being only 15 years old. When you crash...theres a very low chance that you will break something, and when you do, a little glue and you are back up in the air! Batteries are small and cheap, no need to buy $40 batteries or batteries that look like huge bricks!!! There is also no need to join a club. You can fly these almost anywhere...i prefer a school field. So what size or RC planes do you like and why?

This seems odd...............
I dont get whats so odd...

Old 08-22-2012, 08:20 PM
bens123benjamin

U people spend to much money on this crap buy a Traxxas revo
Old 08-22-2012, 08:35 PM
bens123benjamin

I NOWHAHA
Old 08-22-2012, 08:36 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: flycatch

Bottom line, do you want something that resembles it full scale counterpart and fly accordingly. Or do you want a gnat that flys like a fly.
1/2A planes fly very well if set up right. The biggest problems encountered by the .40 and up crowd when they build a small plane is the set up. A lot of guys think these things aren’t that important because it’s small. The truth is there are set up issues you may get away with in a larger model that will make the small ones almost if not completely unflyable. Improper CG, too much control throw, no aileron differential, no exponential are common problems I see in small ones that bounce all over the sky.

Rrragman

Old 08-22-2012, 10:05 PM
rcjake

I fly anything from a .010 size Li'l Roughneck (remember those???) to giant scale and anything in between. Gas, glow or electric powered...it doesn't matter to me! My wife says that rc aircraft is a sickness with me...just a sickness! I reply, "Well, it's better than alcoholism!"

BTW, I have been building and flying rc for over 35 years and will never quit!

Jake
Old 08-22-2012, 11:54 PM
DaBasher

As a newbe to flying I prefer the micro size planes. Got my first plane (flyzone micro cub rtf) about 3 months ago and took it out of the box and flew it and landed it the first time flying. It's a great plane to teach yourself to fly. Also have a flyzone micro Fokker. It's a very fun plane to fly but a bit more challenging especially in the wind. The micro size planes are like a cheap date , you dont have to spend alot of money on them but still have a good time . I do plan on getting a 36 to 50 in electric plane with skidders for grass landings. I like being able to just walk outside the house and throw the plane in the air and fly, or sometimes go to the park and fly. I enjoy watching and hearing the nitros fly but have no desire to get one at this time.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:37 AM
GerKonig

I started in RC in my early 20's. That was 40 years ago. I prefer bigger scale 80" and over if mono and 60" and over if bipes. I also have a foamy tiger Moth... Bigger flies better in my personal opinion.

This is a hobby that has something for everyone. I flew a lot of different models in those years, and at the time, they all were fun. Find whatever you like, and have fun. I know one thing, this hobby has made my life even more enjoyable. Also, thse days I do not fly nitro (quit nitro cold turkey like 5 years ago). I fly big electrics and gas.

Gerry
Old 08-23-2012, 04:03 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

46-76" wingspan. Bigger than that and they get unruly both in transport and cost, smaller than that and it gets somewhat difficult to get a nice fitting engine in there. Either ends up with the engine sticking out and looking extra silly, or it's underpowered as hell. The engines also get touchier the smaller they get.

I fly strictly glow so electric foamies and gas giants are out of the question anyway.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:14 AM
Red Raider
My Feedback: (86)

I fly anything I can put a 30cc gas engine on. Mostly in the 80 inch range. My giant super sportster goes together like any 40 size trainer. One connection for the ailerons, 2wing bolts and I'm ready. $4.00 gas instead of of $20 glow fuel plus the advantage of way better mileage, and very little clean up.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:50 AM
ARUP

40 four stroke or 60 two stroke. I have been working on 1/4 gassers and have a couple of largish scale sailplanes.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:35 AM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like it all, electric, gas, and kero burners. The smallest thing I have has a wingspan of 28", and the largest has a fuse length of nearly 11 feet. If it flies...[8D]
Old 08-23-2012, 06:18 AM
Red B.

I have flown aircraft ranging from "Peaunut scale"-size R/C models to 100" giant scale models.
Over the years I have gravitated toward aircraft in the .60-1.2 cu.in range. They are big enough to fly really well, but small enough to not difficult to transport and store.
Also, standard radio control equipment is quite sufficient. There is very little to gain by going up in size, unless of course you are into scale or aerobatic competition.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:03 AM
4u2nv-RCU
My Feedback: (28)

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

2M both gliders and pattern!!
Old 08-23-2012, 07:29 AM
IFlyEm35
My Feedback: (5)

50cc - 100cc and 30lb - 35lb thrust jets. [8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.