The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

What size of RC planes do you like?

Old 08-23-2012, 07:45 AM
tfarmer96

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: What size of RC planes do you like?

I use to think bigger is better, but i think i hit the limit. 102 is the limit for me and may event be a bit large. I have just recently started with the park flyers and they seem to be fun. I think my favorit will remain the 80 to 90 inch wing span airplanes. I did break down a few years ago and get a trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81886.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	1794639   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96251.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	1794640  
Old 08-23-2012, 07:52 AM
Microz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for all the replies guys! I dont know why, but it just interests me to hear what others prefer to fly.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:57 AM
IFlyEm35

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Honestly, for the price it's really hard to beat the 50cc market. Planes aren't much more than say a 30cc and you will most likely use identical servos. I can take my 50cc Yak out and fly all day on a couple bucks worth of fuel. However, if I take my "cheaper" 1.20 sized warbirds out with Y.S. 140's I EASILY will burn 1/2 gallon of 30% Heli fuel. At $30/gal they get expensive quick! Now on my jets I burn almost a gallon /flight. Jet-A/oil runs about $6-$8 per flight. So it's all relative I guess.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:07 AM
tony0707

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

40 to 120 sizeonly two cycle glo mostly these days-have 3 1/4 scale
retired so keeping some of the cost down
BIGGER does fly better and smoother and sure cost more to do
need to keep the hobby in a place so it remains fun or you are doing something WRONG !
Old 08-23-2012, 08:11 AM
ArcticCatRider

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I enjoy building kits and using glow motors from .46 to 1.00, two and four stroke.

The planes are small enough to use (mostly) regular servos, light duty hardware, and fit in closets and easily in my vehicle. They are large enough to take off and land on rough grass and handle a decent amount of wind.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:01 AM
Prop_Washer2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I drive a GMC Yukon XL (Xtra Long), and pull a 16 ft. V-Nose Custom Trailer, maybe I'll just put your Micro's in the Jetta, and the Jetta in my trailer and take you to the field....hah hah...

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Microz

You must transport them in a pick up truck or maybe a very large SUV then! I transport my planes in a Volkswagen Jetta so you get the idea...
Old 08-23-2012, 09:05 AM
Microz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

tony0707- Yes if you are not enjoying it...something is wrong.

Arcticcatrider- Oh well then they must not cost too much if you can use that type of equipment.

Prop_Washer2- hahaha now that may just work. 

Old 08-23-2012, 11:32 AM
wesaysoracing

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i have a night vapor to a 106 inch span 55 cc gas powered stick with several glow and electrics in between them, i even have 2 planes that are over 17 years old (a aerostar 40 trainer and a big stick .60)
Old 08-23-2012, 11:46 AM
tfarmer96

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: wesaysoracing

+1 on your tag line!
Old 08-23-2012, 12:33 PM
drdoom

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

All Sizes.

tfarmer96 : Very Nice!
Old 08-23-2012, 12:58 PM
JohnVH

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the big ones fly easier

Old 08-23-2012, 01:16 PM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: IFlyEm35

Honestly, for the price it's really hard to beat the 50cc market. Planes aren't much more than say a 30cc and you will most likely use identical servos. I can take my 50cc Yak out and fly all day on a couple bucks worth of fuel. However, if I take my ''cheaper'' 1.20 sized warbirds out with Y.S. 140's I EASILY will burn 1/2 gallon of 30% Heli fuel. At $30/gal they get expensive quick! Now on my jets I burn almost a gallon /flight. Jet-A/oil runs about $6-$8 per flight. So it's all relative I guess.
Fuel prices are one of the reasons I stay below 76" wingspan. I don't like gas engines, they sound far too much like my weedeater for my tastes, and the big glow motors that sound nice cost an absolute fortune to run. But 40-60 size glow engines? Yeah I can afford to feed those.

I might get a gasser if I get one that'll fit a Moki radial, but there will never be a day where I buy a plane and stuff a 2-cycle gas engine on it. Just don't like the sound.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:28 PM
juanjulian

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

When I was 15 twenty two years ago there was no tecnology for small planes, and RC was expensive. So I could only dream in making the guillows planes RC. Tried but never finished them.My first rc plane was a Golber eaglet with a os max 25 fp that I enjoyed building and then my instructor crashed.

Was until I turned 26 and could pay for my own stuff that returned to RC.

Like small planes probably for being NOSTALGIC and since this size of planes were the ones I used to fly with control line (remember the cox jets with 0.49)

Can fit 8 planes in my Suzuki Vitara (94 tracker)

Small planes are fun, but so the others.Think any size is OK while you are having FUN.

Should start in building your own planes check:

www.radicalrc.com

Cheers

Juan

Old 08-23-2012, 02:45 PM
kurt2022

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think 50cc is the best for many reasons, 1) I can start it on my own from behind that means I don't have to bother any of the other flyers that are too lazy to get off their rears and give a hand! 2) It is large enough to be stable on windy days that we have alot of here in south Texas! 3) one metal gear servo per surface is more than enough! 4) I can pick it up and put in my van without worrying about breaking my back doing so! 5) Less chance of hitting the tail trying to get it through a doorway! 5) Big enough I can see it when I fly way out from the strip!
Old 08-23-2012, 03:06 PM
Live Wire

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Any thing that will fit in a 82 S 10 with a topper and I need at least 6 I have had more
Larry K
Old 08-23-2012, 04:47 PM
jchorsejeff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

50cc size planes for me. Will fit in most suv's and fly great. One servo/flight control and very reliable engines.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:21 PM
IFlyEm35

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: jchorsejeff

50cc size planes for me. Will fit in most suv's and fly great. One servo/flight control and very reliable engines.
And burns cheap fuel. Hard to beat the 50cc class.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:06 PM
Speedy-Gonzales

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

50cc and under including gas and glow. Everything else is a PITA. If I have to buy a trailer to transport is is too big.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:33 PM
dadragon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree with F4U & john the bigger the better,but I still have my micro 76"sig cub all the rest are all A-1 skyraiders.1-120"% 1-150"witch is still in the building stage.quadra 150 & quadra 200 twins are for me.I love the smell of gas in the morning.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:44 PM
Speedy-Gonzales

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

All the big stuff shows up at the field and I show up with a Lanier "Shrike" with a 7.5cc DF engine on a pipe and I get a standing applause. I also like it when a jet jock challenges me to a speed dash. I may not win everytime but I give the crowd a big suprise showing a prop comparred to a turbine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26168.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	1794775  
Old 08-23-2012, 07:38 PM
Tommygun

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well in the past I would've said .60-.90 sized, 2 stroke that is. For a favorite, only flying considered, that's probably still true. But the truth is that after becoming a dad I just don't have the time anymore to make the 25 minute drive out to the AMA field, and I have a ballfield next to my house which I can fly the Parkzone EPO planes. Would you call those 400 size? I guess by default, the electric T-28 sized range plane is now my new favorite, since otherwise I don't fly at all.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:48 PM
Microz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

wesaysoracing- You've got a nice variety there then.

drdoom- You must have a pretty good variety of planes then too.

JohnVH- WOW THATS A BIG PLANE!!! Would hate to crash that....

Juanjulian- You know, I think I have a nostalgia to small planes as well since i learned on the micros.

Kurt2022- You must have some big doorways then...I hit the tail of my Sensei which only has a 58" WS on doors. [X(]

Live Wire- whoa...thats a pretty old car you got there.

jchoresjeff- 50cc...what WS do they typically have?

Speedy-Gonzales- Fully agree about the trailer part.

dadragon- 76" is considered micro!!! [X(] Oh gosh...my planes are considered microSCOPIC then.

Tommygun- Ah yeah it must be hard for you to get out and fly then. How big is the area you fly in? I end up having to fly my larger parkzone planes at the club field...
Old 08-24-2012, 07:00 AM
IFlyEm35

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Microz,

50cc generally will have a span on the mid 80 inches. However, if you get plug in wings you have 2 wing panels in the 3' range. IMO the best flying 50cc airplane available is the EF Yak.

[link=http://www.extremeflightrc.com/html/88yak54.html]http://www.extremeflightrc.com/html/88yak54.html[/link]

You can fly it like a sport plane or set it up for awesome 3D. In fact, in 25 years, of all the planes I have flown I have yet to find any manufacture that has a line up that flies anywhere near as good as the Extreme Flight birds.

Here is my 110" Yak.

And some of my other birds:

Old 08-24-2012, 07:24 AM
IFlyEm35

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: 378

Quote:
ORIGINAL: IFlyEm35

Honestly, for the price it's really hard to beat the 50cc market. Planes aren't much more than say a 30cc and you will most likely use identical servos. I can take my 50cc Yak out and fly all day on a couple bucks worth of fuel. However, if I take my ''cheaper'' 1.20 sized warbirds out with Y.S. 140's I EASILY will burn 1/2 gallon of 30% Heli fuel. At $30/gal they get expensive quick! Now on my jets I burn almost a gallon /flight. Jet-A/oil runs about $6-$8 per flight. So it's all relative I guess.
Fuel prices are one of the reasons I stay below 76'' wingspan. I don't like gas engines, they sound far too much like my weedeater for my tastes, and the big glow motors that sound nice cost an absolute fortune to run. But 40-60 size glow engines? Yeah I can afford to feed those.

I might get a gasser if I get one that'll fit a Moki radial, but there will never be a day where I buy a plane and stuff a 2-cycle gas engine on it. Just don't like the sound.
Not all 2 cycle gassers sound the same. Get a twin with a loud prop and you definitely wont confuse it with a weedeater anymore. Typically the "weedeater" sounds come from engines that started out in trimmers or chainsaws. Your DA's and 3W's don't have the same sound.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz6TLxIKO4A[/youtube]

Another option for the smaller birds are the Saito 4 stroke gassers. They sound good!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bKVaPdZY2k[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shv2-tac7Io[/youtube]

Or get away from recips all together! ;-)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA9mAL4pfZg&hd=1[/youtube]
Old 08-24-2012, 07:36 AM
oldbassard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

First I have to say, everyone likes the scales of planes they fly for different reasons so the scales or types they fly is better for them. Personally I have been building all types ofmodels since 1960. I like the giant scale because of the deatil you can put on them ( I am just getting back into RC planes after being out of them for 20 years) The reason is, I want to build a Giant scale JU-87 Stuka and super detail it., then flyit at contests.

Right now I am building the 6ft Telemaster to get oreinted flying rc's again before Ijump into the big expensive and harder to fly airplanes.

What ever scale you likeis the best for you, I have flown Micros inside my warehouse (Let's see a 40sized airplane do that, well ok maybe a well expierenced pilot might sweat it).

At any rate the young man didn't ask which scale is BEST he asked what scale you liked best and why.

I like to fly the 40-60 sized just for fun and I like to build giant to see how well I can detail them, I have flown micro's and the are cool. The important thing is the young fella is having good clean fun.

Search this Thread