Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: What size of RC planes do you like?

I soloed in 1977, and this was the era of the .60 size airframe being the biggest practical size available. Hundreds of kits were offered in this size range. Bud Nosen offered quarter scale kits which utilized belt drives and .60 engines, because large gas engines were still in their infancy. I still like the .60 size airframe, especially classic pattern planes.
    Representative of<br>
    GCBM R/C Enterprises

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Iflyem35- Ah okay thanks for the clarification. Those are some BIG planes you got there!!!! Holy crap!!!

oldbassard- Thanks for the reply! Seems like you've flown a good variety of plane sizes over the years.

glowplugboy- Wow that seems like a while back. Was probably really expensive at that time as well. You've been in this hobby a while then im sure.
    Cars: Axial SCX10, Losi Desert Buggy XL
    Planes: Ember 2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I started with .40 to .60 size and have pretty much stayed with them. OS engines have been pretty reliable and I haven't needed to buy any new engines for a number of years. Big birds are great to fly but are a pain to store and transport. I have a number of small electrics that are cool to buzz around the yard but just don't give me the buzz that nitro planes give me. I am partially fond of Top Flight 1/7 scale warbirds and have both the Mustang and Corsair in my fleet.
    If you love your plane, set it free, if it doesn\'\'t return, you should have checked the battery.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You think the pick up is old you should see some of my Planes I have one from 1949 and a Harley from 59
    Larry K
    Larry K
    Sig Brotherhood # 1 Sig Kadet Brotherhood # 4 WACO Brotherhood #34 Cub Brotherhood 14

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

scottrc- See, I'm the opposite. I feel the larger planes give me more "tension" where as the smaller ones are just plain old fun and awesomeness to me.

Livewire- Whoa...now THAT is old!!!
    Cars: Axial SCX10, Losi Desert Buggy XL
    Planes: Ember 2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a Spitfire 15e foam. A major problem is that it must be hand launched, since the grass makes takeoffs difficult.
    Besides that, I'm an older retired person that wishes he had better eyesight. The Spitfire is just too small to see at any distance.

My favorite planes are those with 48" and longer wings, although I do limit the size to those that fit in my P/U cab behind the front seats.
    These days, I prefer to fly electrics. no fuel, no cleanup, and so forth. Sadly, flight time per charge is about a third that of a similar model with glow power. Glow fuel is expensive, and the price of a good LiPo is about equal to three or four gallons of fuel. 

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My smallest model is a little indoor model with actuators at 14 grams and my current largest is a TF B-25G ARF with two 50 size electrics on 5S. I have around 60 flyable models in between those sizes with around 20-30 more in various stages of completion. Memories are full on my DX7 and DX8 and I have another 12 on my DX18.

All models are fun and different size ones are different kinds of fun. Indoor models are fun, seaplanes are fun, small electrics are fun, foam is fun, balsa is fun, scale ARFs are fun, original designs are fun, giant scale is fun. It is all fun, not matter how some folks like to look down on certain types and sizes of models. Of late, I really enjoy flying the larger models, in the 60-86" range, but my smaller models are not far behind at all. I like tinkering with smaller models..the big ones are a PITA in the shop to work on.

I am all electric currently, but flew lots of glow from 1969 until the late 1990s. Plan on more glow and some gas models in the future. Still have a garage full of old glow models I need to refurbish...

If I can only go to one model event a year, it is, hands down, the SMALL Steps event in Little Rock, AR for .26 ci and smaller glows and similar size electrics...multis ok. The event is held the first weekend in June. It should be illegal to have that much fun with model airplanes...

Electric Coolhunter

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I tend to prefer models with at least 48" wingspan. It's tough because my transportation (Honda Civic sedan) means I'm limited on how big a plane I can carry. So far my Tiger 60 is the biggest I can fit in the car, and that requires both rear seat backs opened and he trunk emptied.

Someday I will have a car/truck/van that will hold larger aircraft. Someday....
    Tarasdad
    Club Saito #680; Saito FA91 (2), FA80; Fox .50, .25, .19; Apprentice; Tiger 60, Sup. Chipmunk; Spirit

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: topspin

I like smaller planes for most of the reasons stated and I have several micro planes that are lots of fun. I enjoy building small foam and balsa planes to experiment with different configurations also.

Having said that, I want to build one IMMA legal plane just to have. I realize it's a lot of work but it really is fun to fly a plane that responds like a real one and you can see it at more than 500 yards.
    I like McDonalds hamburgers more than a grilled steak. All that time to prepare the steak is a hassle.

K-Bob. The K is silent. \"The only time you can have too much fuel is if you are on fire\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If it already hasn't been said.
    I like my planes to be in the same size going home as they were coming out to the field !
    Brian Ray

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am working in a Cessna 310 Bud Nosen, Could you tell me wich size GAS engines do I need it please. Also I am looking for a nose gear for the same plane.
    Thanks. I will posted some pictures later.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I love them all.
    The real Ken of RCU. Accept no substitutes!
    AMA 706166

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am working in a cessna 310 Bud nosen, they said for .60 size engines, do you know if I could use gas engines on the cessna 310?
    Thanks, wich size could be the best for it

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I enjoy the large planes. One is 38% and the other is 40% 107" wing and 122" wing. Dennis
    DadstoysRC. I fly what I sell
    CD Vette City Big Bird

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: DadsToysBG

I enjoy the large planes. One is 38% and the other is 40% 107'' wing and 122'' wing. Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ro41891.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	1866554   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Li20996.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	129.5 KB 
ID:	1866555  
    DadstoysRC. I fly what I sell
    CD Vette City Big Bird

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

"120s" because they fit easy enough in smaller vehicles but have 'big plane' flight characteristics.

Right now I'm working on my first 2M airplane (160) and think I'm gonna love it, once I figure out how to get it to the field [X(] .
    Joe Marri
    Enjoying all things aviation.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-ZR-lqqWSc&feature=share&list=UUvajm0pYeG7PvspskjQLq9A[/link]

1cc is enough for me.
    WHO GUNNA FEED MAW KEEEIDS..???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I like planes with a wingspan somewhere in the 90 inch range. I basically do Golden Age models and that's the best size for me.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
    Its easy, just glue all the pieces together, and sand off everything that doesnt look like an airplane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[8D] I will fly anything from my small electric parkflyers up to my "40" to "60" sized glow planes for now . I've got some bigger stuff , but havn't got around to getting any of em assembled yet . Ive got a Saito 270 twin awaiting my biggest project , but like I said for now I'm happy flyin the smaller stuff . It's not like huge wide open spaces are all that easy to come by where I live , so the small stuff does the job just fine for now ...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[8D] I will fly anything from my small electric parkflyers up to my "40" to "60" sized glow planes for now . I've got some bigger stuff , but havn't got around to getting any of em assembled yet . Ive got a Saito 270 twin awaiting my biggest project , but like I said for now I'm happy flyin the smaller stuff . It's not like huge wide open spaces are all that easy to come by where I live , so the small stuff does the job just fine for now ...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This is a bit too big for me......

http://youtu.be/84mgUCc4qv0
    # 93 in Club Saito; Carl Goldberg Ultimate Brotherhood # 12; Pulse brother # 2;Hellcat Brotherhood #8;P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood #18

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345