Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What size of RC planes do you like?

Hey. Just thought it would be interesting to hear what size of RC planes you guys out there like. Me personally, I like micro rc planes such as the parkzone Ultra Micros and E-flite Ultra Micro Extremes (hence my username ). One reason is because they are so small that its easy to store and transport them. They also aren't very costly which is a big concern for me being only 15 years old. When you crash...theres a very low chance that you will break something, and when you do, a little glue and you are back up in the air! Batteries are small and cheap, no need to buy $40 batteries or batteries that look like huge bricks!!! There is also no need to join a club. You can fly these almost anywhere...i prefer a school field. So what size or RC planes do you like and why?
    Cars: Axial SCX10, Losi Desert Buggy XL
    Planes: Ember 2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: What size of RC planes do you like?

Micro's are neat, but they really don't fly that well. Even the best won't fly well in wind and bounce too much on landing. Most are almost impossible to land and stay upright. Prefer .60 and.90 size myself.
    Glow Head Brotherhood #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah thats actually very true. They bounce around quite a bit in the wind and landing, unlike my two larger planes, but I've heard this new AS3X technology is supposed to smoothen it out? (wind that is..not landing bounce). And you know, I do like my larger planes just as much as my micros, its just that the price tag is much higher...not to mention when you crash!!! [:@]I guess then i like micros and "larger" electrics ranging from 30" to 46" WS (not sure of the "technical" term...)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I fly the .40 through 1.20 glow planes. They handle well, sound great in the air, are easy to see, and are easy to transport. When I get to the field most are quick to assemble and then just fuel and fly. Most need some clean up at the end of the day but that is not a problem for me in that I also use that time to check out hinges, horns, etc. to ensure all is read for the next day out at the field.
    Bruce L. AMA# 54227
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You must transport them in a pick up truck or maybe a very large SUV then! I transport my planes in a Volkswagen Jetta so you get the idea...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I echo landeck's comments exactly. The big gassers look good in the air, but spending 30 minutes to assemble a plane, fly it for 10 minutes, then spend another 30 minutes disassembling the thing just does not ring my chimes. That's an hour wasted not listening to and telling lies to the other guys.
    \"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; In practice, there is\"

Intolerance is not to be tolerated

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I like smaller planes for most of the reasons stated and I have several micro planes that are lots of fun. I enjoy building small foam and balsa planes to experiment with different configurations also.

Having said that, I want to build one IMMA legal plane just to have. I realize it's a lot of work but it really is fun to fly a plane that responds like a real one and you can see it at more than 500 yards.
    RC Aircraft/ Three Laws Safe.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jollypopper- Yeah it must take some time to assemble and disassemble those large planes!

Topspin- Yeah the smaller ones are just pretty nice to me. IMMA...WHOA!!! Those are some big planes!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I like the the 20-60cc size. I build most of mine so I make them where I don't have to do much disassembly. I built a roll out shelf in my truck, which has a topper. One on the top shelf and one in the bottom. I don't mind mounting the wing's. But one's like my Waco with flying wire's fit in the top without disassembly because of the slide out shelf.
    Robert
    Cub Brotherhood #3\\ Ryan STA Brotherhood #4
    Corsair Brotherhood #56\\ Waco Brotherhood #184

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow those must be really big!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well?, compared to micro I guess. All under 70" WS except for the cub.
    Robert
    Cub Brotherhood #3\\ Ryan STA Brotherhood #4
    Corsair Brotherhood #56\\ Waco Brotherhood #184

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I seem to be liking electric foam and/or balsa planes with about 40-60 inch wingspan. 45-48 inches seems to be just perfect for my backyard. I sure do fly the micros too and like them on a calm day.
    and airplanes were in

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

acerc- yeah its really big compared to micros.

guver- You must have a really big backyard then...dang...i wish i had one that size!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I fly 60 size planes. It takes about 3 minutes to attach a wing, and about 30 mins for everyone to walk around it saying wow, what a nice plane. Then I fly it for about 12-15 minutes, while the spectators say wow, look at that thing fly. Wow, look at that roll, that knife edge, the loop. Then I land and refuel while people stand around looking at the engine, asking questions and getting involved. Then I fly it again and again.

Never heard anyone say that about a micro airplane.

You see, it's easy to bash someone else's plane and why yours is better. But the true spirit of this hobby is doing what you like doing. Being your own person and doing what you enjoy. I have flown about every type of plane and love doing it. I love building and designing planes.

Expand your horizon's and embrace everyone's idea of what they expect from their hobby.

Let's go fly and have some fun.

Frank

AMA #5810
    CPA # 73
    Contest Director
    AMA Introductory Flight Instructor
    Club Safety Officer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The biggest darn thing I can get in my ride! And, it does not take 10 minutes to assemble either. I have a Balsa USA 1/4 scale EAA Bipe that will go into my Durango without disassembly at all. The rest get bigger from there. So far, I have stopped short of buying a trailer. I keep looking at some really big ones that would require one though. Hmmm.

Bedford

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Microz

You must transport them in a pick up truck or maybe a very large SUV then! I transport my planes in a Volkswagen Jetta so you get the idea...
    No, just a Volvo station wagon. I find I can handle anything up to a 70 inch wing. Considering that I have been doing this for 40 years, I have use a few different cars over the years including a Cheve two door hatch back. That one actually worked out quite well. Where there is a will there is a way.

Bruce
    Bruce L. AMA# 54227
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Micros, nahhhhh. Those are for the mall. All my planes are 60-120. Only one gasser, only one electric. Glow fuel rocks.
    Keep your wings level
    Club Saito Member #693

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

TO EACH HIS OWN IAM RETIRED AND DONT MIND PUTTING ON A WING OR TAKING IT OFF> I FLY 46 NITRO TO 26 CC GASBEEN FLYING FOR 45 YRS NOW IAM 80 AND STILL LIKE IT

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

.46 size, easy enough to fit two planes in a car and store several around the house.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I Like my bigger nitro powered airplanes WS 65 to 85 easy to see and I can haul three in my truck with the wings off and sperated, but I love to fly my little UMX beast with AS3X.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Pretty much a mixed bag with me, flown ultra-micro's to 1/3rd scale. Nowadays I keep a few micro flyers and hobbyzone cubs around for the backyard, some warbird foamies in 50+" wingspan, everything else is around 1/5-1/4 scale.

1/3rd scale was a lot of fun, but bigger planes mean bigger and more of everything that goes in them, not to mention transporting, getting them set up and having adequate space to store them. Can get expensive quick. 80-100" wingspan seems to be my sweet spot. Can build them out nice without breaking the bank, they transport easily, don't take a lot of time to set up and you don't need a second home to store them.
    Radical Departure..
    ..from controlled flight

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow, a lot of you seem to fly pretty big planes. For some reason, those bigger planes don't really appeal to me...not sure why. But hey, everyone likes their own size of planes.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I like 40 to 60 size models with glow engines. They have 48 to 72 inch wing spans and two planes fit fairly well in the back seat area of a crew cab pickup. My favorite is a Sig Astro Hog with a .91 four stroke. Assembly, cleanup, and disassembly takes a few minutes for each plane.

I do not dislike bigger or smaller models. I enjoy watching others fly them but I do not want them. It is just personal preference.
    - Carrell

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I like and fly 40 to 1.50 size electrics. Easy to see and look great.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Carellh- Im curious...how do you get these to fit? I can barely fit my sensei, P47, and a couple micros in my car. Yeah I don't mind seeing the bigger stuff fly either, its just i wouldn't want to own one...I don't hate them, they just aren't suited for me.
    Thrawn150- Yeah I've seen some 40 - 1.50 size electric, and they looked really good. I've got all foamies, so its tough to make them look as good as a balsa model (assuming yours are balsa? I think most larger ones are...), but I don't really mind...I just care if it looks close to scale.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast