Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Camarillo, CA Channel Islands Condors Field Closure

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Camarillo, CA Channel Islands Condors Field Closure

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 11:36 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: Camarillo, CA Channel Islands Condors Field Closure

If you signed a contract with a 90 days provision you might as well not have a contract at all, ours at least is year to year

Not in California a few miles from the ocean for sure, Land back here is much more affordable,, just hard to find where you can fly,, urban sprawl is just about everywhere
Old 10-10-2012, 02:11 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

I am not sure I don't agree with the ban if you are flying lipo powered electrics there.
Please use some common sense. If the place is sensitive to fire starting, ban Lipo's
Several years ago a jet turnbine crashed at our field and started a fire. It burned a lot of the farmers crop and neither he, nor the Navy who owned the land, we very happy about jets. But rather than ban them they just demaned that their fire department be notified so they could have someone posted. Everything we fly is a fire hazard. LiPos certainly are no more susceptible than jet fuel. And not really a lot more than nitro-methane. Use some common sense and have fire safety availablebefore you start flying.

But wait - that might ruin someone's "fun". And we all know fun and rules or even common sense don't mix.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:20 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

If you signed a contract with a 90 days provision you might as well not have a contract at all, ours at least is year to year

Not in California a few miles from the ocean for sure, Land back here is much more affordable,, just hard to find where you can fly,, urban sprawl is just about everywhere
So if yours expires January 1st, when does the landowner have to tell you he's not renewing?

My point is simple - if you don't own the land, better keep the landlord happy. If you do own the land, better keep the neighbors happy. Flying model airplanes is not a right.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:47 PM
scale only 4 me

We negotiate during the summer for the following year. Since we have a long off season due to Midwest weather that would give us many months to hunt a new site. Since we pay more than a sharecropper would it makes no Cents or Dollars for the landlord not to renew year to year

You're right, we try to keep out landlord happy, we actually have tried to buy the land, but there are easement issues since the flying area of the lot we use doesn't have road frontage. We have a great location surrounded by trees for sound deadening for neighbors and a scrap yard behind us, we'd buy it in a minute if we could.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:27 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't own the land the land owner can end your relationship at almost any time regardless of what kind of paper you're holding and what's written on it.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:22 PM
scale only 4 me

Breaking a contract has consequences

I have rental properties, I have rental contracts with my tenants, I can't go tomorrow and kick out my renters without being sued and loosing big, same way they can't leave without paying and without risking loosing their security deposit and or me suing them for lost income. A contract at least gives the landlord a reason not to kick you out until the contract is fulfilled. That's a whole lot better than nothing
Old 10-10-2012, 09:15 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

Breaking a contract has consequences

I have rental properties, I have rental contracts with my tenants, I can't go tomorrow and kick out my renters without being sued and loosing big, same way they can't leave without paying and without risking loosing their security deposit and or me suing them for lost income. A contract at least gives the landlord a reason not to kick you out until the contract is fulfilled. That's a whole lot better than nothing
What you say is true but the point Trent was making is that in most leases there are clauses written into the lease that will allow the lease to be broken at almost
anytime. Generaly it is the landowner that is holding the most cards in most cases, And even though your lease may be for a year or more the landlord will most
likely have a clause that will let them termnate the lease within a certain time frame if it is their interest to do so.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:22 AM
Teachu2

Actually, my point is to take exceptional care to protect your landlord's property and your relationship with them. When we get down to the point of trying to enforce a contract - we've already lost the field. NOBODY is getting rich leasing land to R/C clubs. If we become a pain to our landlord, we're done - 30 days, 180 days, 270 days, whenever. It's a whole lot easier to keep a field than it is to relocate.

One club field locally has a farmer as landlord. Every Christmas, we give him a bottle of Chivas Regal. He always says we don't need to do that, but he's been a lot easier to deal with since we started.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:44 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I heard there is positive progress to reopening the field. Did they offer up restrictions on LiPo batteries?
Old 10-29-2012, 12:30 AM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to hear there is positive progress. Otherwise, the club could have found an activity that did not violate the rules and restrictions imposed on them. I would have suggested that they host a full size helicopter fly-in as only unmanned aircraft were prohibited.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:05 AM
topspin

ORIGINAL: Teachu2

Actually, my point is to take exceptional care to protect your landlord's property and your relationship with them. When we get down to the point of trying to enforce a contract - we've already lost the field. NOBODY is getting rich leasing land to R/C clubs. If we become a pain to our landlord, we're done - 30 days, 180 days, 270 days, whenever. It's a whole lot easier to keep a field than it is to relocate.

One club field locally has a farmer as landlord. Every Christmas, we give him a bottle of Chivas Regal. He always says we don't need to do that, but he's been a lot easier to deal with since we started.

You can find the Ohio Stae law regarding leasing agreements here: http://www.ohiolandlordtenant.com/revised.html#5321.06

The botoom line is that a landowner can give reasonable notice, 90 days I think and then it's sionara. Only an ownere who is a complete idiot would ever enter into a leasing agreement that did not give them specific rights to terminate the agreement. The biggest problem for RC is that most flying fields are in areas that were once off the beaten path but are now being populated with houses and industrial courts. People don't like having RC planes near them.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:22 PM
Teachu2

ORIGINAL: Teachu2

Well, it's a month later - any progress?
Rapidly approaching three months - any progress?
Old 11-27-2012, 08:35 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Someone may have already said it at some point but just in case they haven't, you're going the wrong route trying to complain your way into keeping this flying field. They made a decision already, so you've already lost the battle of convincing them that the field is a good thing. If you whine, attack, send letters, threaten, etc, then you just solidify to them that they made the right decision and that RC guys are no good. That can close doors to having other flying sites available to you. The very best thing you can do is reel in the smear campaign and start asking about your club members to see if anyone knows a city councilman, someone in the parks department, someone who owns some land, anything that might be a lead for a new location. If you accept this loss with a mature attitude you'll at least not have the university administration saying that you all acted terribly.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:26 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder how long it'll be before the university starts flying UAVs (under government contract,naturally) from the condor site.

That aside, the club was too complacent, as many are until something happens.

Our local RC club has had many locations over the years, due to various government entities changes in attitude and landowners selling land. We even have an alternate field available for use if things should unexpectedly change at our present location. Landowners around us have voiced such things as "you are scaring away the deer", (and shooting them doesn't?).  "You make my goats nervous", "The horse jumped the fence", and so forth.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:22 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

2 more months give or take, any news?
Old 02-14-2013, 07:45 PM
Stikum

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

See http://cicondors.com/pdf/Jan-2013-newsletter.pdf

Looks like they are making progress - they found someone who understands burrocrats to lead the effort.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:17 PM
abelard

The things grown men do will make you want to poke your eyes out with a pencil...
Eons ago, in a club in Orange County CA, one of our members intentionally buzzed the Goodyear Blimp...
Old 02-16-2013, 05:27 PM
abelard

And not really a lot more than nitro-methane.
Ooo, sore point with me. Calling the fuel we use in glow engines "nitro" is relatively recent...for most of my modeling days it was just "glow fuel". Then somebody started calling it "nitro", even though it's more methyl alcohol than nitrogen compounds, presumably for the silly pseudo-macho sound.

Guess what? It's a red flag to the public. Ask a non-modeler who lives near your field, "Which would you rather see our models run on: alcohol fuel or nitro fuel?"
Old 02-28-2013, 09:40 PM
Stikum

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Lots of good info in the Condors' newsletter.

http://cicondors.com/Newsletters/2013_02.pdf