Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Camarillo, CA Channel Islands Condors Field Closure

The Channel Island Condors have been unfairly locked out of our field by Cal State University Channel Islands. Please go to our letters page and demand the University take immediate action to restore flying at our site.

[link]http://cicondors.com[/link]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Camarillo, CA Channel Islands Condors Field Closure

Why have you been locked out? There has to be another side to this story. Maybe we should hear the oher side before we stick our noses into somebody eles's business.
    \"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; In practice, there is\"

Intolerance is not to be tolerated

Sorry about your field, are you guys still taking about suspending electric flight (with Lipo I presume)? Did anyone contact CSFM office?
    Matt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you for your support, we encourage anyone to stick their nose into this one, all of the details are on the channel islands condorswebsite including the newspaper articles, it would take a long time to re-post all of the info here.

The State Fire Marshals office in Sacramento has been contacted as well as our email letter campaign goes straight to the top.

ORIGINAL: c99hris

Thank you for your support, we encourage anyone to stick their nose into this one, all of the details are on the channel islands condorswebsite including the newspaper articles, it would take a long time to re-post all of the info here.

The State Fire Marshals office in Sacramento has been contacted as well as our email letter campaign goes straight to the top.

Boy I sure hope that the fire marshal contact does not blow up in everyone's face. Ask the model rocket guys about dealing with the fire marshall
    Matt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JollyPopper

Why have you been locked out? There has to be another side to this story. Maybe we should hear the oher side before we stick our noses into somebody eles's business.
    Last I heard it was an electric plane crash and it started a big brush fire.
    If it ain t leaking oil, then somethings wrong,,, USMC 82-03, RETIRED!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Big Fire, hardly any fire is serious however in this case the fire was quickly put out by our able and responsive fire department. The Channel Islands Condors have had over 800,000 flights without fire over a 25 year period, due to the currently popularity of LiPo batteries fire has become a real problem. Our club has proposed to ban LiPo's untill a reasonable solution is found to enable their use. Please go to the Condorswebsite and by the click of a mouse send an email letter to the State Fire Marshal in support of the Condors.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Do you have a lease in place with the university?
    Ira d

LiPo batteries fire has become a real problem. Our club has proposed to ban LiPo's untill a reasonable solution is found to enable their use. Please go to the Condorswebsite and by the click of a mouse send an email letter to the State Fire Marshal in support of the Condors.
    I hope these letters don't wake a sleeping dog, they might ban LiPos everywhere.
    Matt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No we do not have a lease they refuse to give us one, its like negotiating with an 800# gorilla.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There was a popular drag strip and Motorcross track here in Carlsbad,Ca.
    It was the site of many World Championship events but the land was NEVER owned by the operator.

A few years ago the "city" wanted to extend a major road thru the property.

Guess what happened?

We now have a yearly vigil on the last little part of the track that remains and vow to not give any business to those that occupy the new mall but we are a small group compared to the soccer moms and jet set.

I hate to say it but you have NO ground to stand on as it wasn't yours in the first place.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No we do not have a lease they refuse to give us one, its like negotiating with an 800# gorilla.

First let me say I am sorry that you have lost your flying site but without lease I dont know there is a lot than can be done about it, Flying sites are under attack everywhere
    it seems and there are more and more restrictions on when you can fly and what type of model you can fly than ever before.
    Ira d

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am not sure I don't agree with the ban if you are flying lipo powered electrics there.
    Please use some common sense. If the place is sensitive to fire starting, ban Lipo's
    dirty old men need love too.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We did propose banning lipos as a start, however CSUCI has refused to discuss any use of the field, what we are looking for is support and having as many people go to our [link]http://cicondors.com[/link]website and send letters to the University to talk with us.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You think the club members would have dealt with the fire as soon as the plane went in, instead of letting it spread to the point that the fire department had to be called! Bad things happen when your club members are too lazy and unprepared with a fire exstinguisher to take care of a fire on their own like almost all the jet guys are! But this is Kalifornia which is a state with many takers and few doer's! I wouldn't live there with all the helpless fools that call it HOME!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I hate to say it, but it looks like your club gave them the reason they needed to boot you off the field.

Have you contacted a local TV news station? They would probably love to get their teeth into this.

I assume you're contacted AMA for help?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

they might ban LiPos everywhere.
    It wouldn't be so bad.
    Glow Head Brotherhood #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It appears that it was the state fire marshal at blame here not the university.
    Ira d

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You guys not from CA don't realize the anti motor powered anything political atmosphere in California, a couple years ago a greenie proposed baning gas and nitro planes at another field in SoCal. Power sports of any kind has been under attack in that state for decades. Just ask the Offroad Mororsports guys (of which I'm one)

Sorry to say, the media wouldn't help, they'd just point out the environmental impact and the noise pollution, they're fully in bed with the greenies, I bet they too would do more harm than good.

Might want to start hunting for a new location,, good luck
    You're so smart,, you figured out how to read this!! Or maybe ya just got lucky??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Actually we have had lots of support from the media, the local paper vcstar.com sided with the Condors, they have also written two positive articles for us. After more than 800,000 flights at the field its a shame to have the field closed. The real problem is the secret committee that does not want rc aircraft using the 300+ acres, their idea is to have bird watchers and hikers where the buzz word is "passive use". Most likely now there will be even a larger chance of fire with all the four wheelers tearing up the place. Before there was a locked gate now the gate will be unlocked during the day opening up the place to anyone who wishes to enter.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It is just a fact of life that LiPo's and Jet Turbines are prone to catching fire in a severe crash..........combined with the dry brush conditions in Southern California hillsides.................well it is a risk that a major brushfire could erupt if strong wind conditions fan the flames and with the dry brush as tinder wood fuel................. a major brush fire that devastated a big part of San Diego homes in the hillsides and also a huge brush fire that burned down Malibu million dollar homes in the Malibu hillsides a few years back is an ever present risk. The State Fire Marshall is not ignorant of this ongoing risks. Here in the Metropolitan L.A. County area, the flying fields are located in flood control drainage channels operated by the County or the City as parklands and with a flying field embedded in the pakland(i.e. Santa Fe Dam flying field, Chino park flying field???, Whittier Narrows flying field, Sepulveda Basin Apollo flying field and the Santa Clarita Flying field). Once the Fire Marshall and the University people dig in their heels knowing that a hillside brush fire is an ever present risk.................it might be time to contact the Ventura County Parks Department to embed a flying field in a suitable County Parkland.
    'Nuff said.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My firs thought was that people in Kalifornia should be fighting the wacko's there and return it to an American state, not the apparent communist state it is. 

But on second thought you need some R&R and the fight to save the field could also help save the state in some small way.
    Glow Head Brotherhood #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This is both sad and predictable. The issues involved form a perfect storm:

1) The club has no ownership of the land. That means they have no right to use the land - only the permission of the land holder, subject to revocation without recourse.
    2) The property is owned by a government agency. They bow to the political considerations every time. Do they please 150 men who want a place to play with toy airplanes, or 15000 bunny-huggers who want to walk in "wilderness"?
    3) The club has failed to be proactive in fire prevention and has done nothing to show a good-faith effort to mitigate the fire hazard inherent in the operation of models. Two plastic barrels of water and a couple of buckets, a couple of fire extinguishers, half a dozen buckets of sand??? Anything???
    4) The club has allowed members to smoke on site, in violation of local ordinance or policy.
    5) Someone from the State Fire Marshall's office documented what they observed.

Last year marked 40 years since I started in this hobby. I spent many years in club leadership positions, and dealt with landowners both public and private. Neither are very tolerant when we get caught breaking the rules.

It never ceases to amaze me how many R/Cers expect to have the Flying Field Fairy provide for them. What other recreational activities require a large area, and what does an afternoon at one of those activities cost? Price a golf membership and the fee to play a round. Check out a shooting range. Or admission to a "public" lake and boat launch fees. Or to use a race track. Yet we wail over a couple of hundred dollars a year (and mostly far less) to have a place to fly our thousands of dollars of models.

There are two kinds of power that control land - financial power and political power. Until enough like-minded individuals band together to represent one of those two (money or votes), clubs will face constant threats to their fields. There used to be a fantastic field at Mile Square Park in the Los Angeles area. I believe it's a golf course now. I proposed acquiring property adjacent to a public lake and park 15 years ago, when land was cheap up here. Nobody was interested in working to make that happen - now there is a skeet/trap/sporting clays club there.

Even when we get a sweetheart deal - like use of a 3500' paved runway for $20 a month - we screw it up, 'cuz we only follow the rules we agree with (and those only sometimes). And we post pictures of us violating the rules on the Internet. And then have to try to spin it into something acceptable.

I have seen the enemy, and he is us.
    Trent Combs
    Fly \'em until the last piece stops!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Trent,

That is the most insightful and well written post about whom and what we are that I have seen in these pages. Thank you for it.

We can all learn from it.

Bedford

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Agree 100% with Trent.

Seen it, dealt with it, still dealing with it as a club officer.

The things grown men do will make you want to poke your eyes out with a pencil...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast