The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Best car for the hobby

Old 08-27-2012, 04:32 PM
ppkk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Best car for the hobby

I am generally not a SUV fan, but after years of resisting the practicality argument is winning so I think the time has come... Up to now, I have been taking my wife's car (SUV) to the field when I've had time to go fly, so it would be nice to have one of my own.

Now that this decision has been made, the next one is what to get, so I thought I ask the question to those who enjoy the same hobby as I do. I am looking for an SUV that is not overly big, but big enough to allow me to put a few 60-sized planes and field equipment in it without having to play acrobatics.

I have been looking at the Toyota Venza, and wonder if anyone has one and if so, how practical is it? Any other ideas for an SUV in the similar price range?
Old 08-27-2012, 05:12 PM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Best car for the hobby

Land Rover Defender 110.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:06 PM
Charlie P.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jetta Turbo SportWagon.  I have had two 82" wingsan models and a .60 size model in mine simultaneously, with fieldbox, fuel and folding chair, for trips to the airfield.  30 mpg highway.  66.9 cubic feet in the bed with the rear seat down.  That's better than a lot of SUVs.  And it will get you plenty of speeding tickets if you let your foot get heavy.

And it's a blast to drive!

Old 08-27-2012, 06:24 PM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The best/cheapest vehicle for this hobby is a Chrysler minivan. All 4 rear seats fold down so it's easy to fit planes in this vehicle, and easy to put the seats back up too. The new 3.6 liter engine gets good gas mileage too, and has strong acceleration for freeway entrances etc. with all 4 seats down you can put a 4x8 sheet of plywood in the back laying flat.

Ed
Old 08-27-2012, 06:46 PM
JCOKEEFE
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

[8D]Minivan - Toyota Sienna. Amen..........
Old 08-28-2012, 02:04 AM
ppkk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Haha, trying to stay away from a mini van, that's too big a jump from a sedan all in one shot!! Can't deny it's usefulness however.

I like the idea of the Jetta wagon, I'll look into it. Subaru is another option I've been thinking about.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:19 AM
flyinwalenda

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yep, 2-3K minivan. Throw out the rear seats,put some rods across for a wing shelf and it's a perfect plane hauler. When it get's too much to repair just crush it like a dixie cup and go get another one !
Old 08-28-2012, 06:49 AM
topspin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: flyinwalenda

Yep, 2-3K minivan. Throw out the rear seats,put some rods across for a wing shelf and it's a perfect plane hauler. When it get's too much to repair just crush it like a dixie cup and go get another one !

I totally agree, used soccer mom minivans in nice cndx can be had for a song. They will haul all of your planes and gear and the best part is you don't have to give up your regular wheels. When it get's to the point where you need to get a tetanus shot to drive it, junk it and get another one.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:37 AM
red head

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ppkk

Haha, trying to stay away from a mini van, that's too big a jump from a sedan all in one shot!! Can't deny it's usefulness however.

I like the idea of the Jetta wagon, I'll look into it. Subaru is another option I've been thinking about.
[] That's a big jump ???? Minivans are just a larger sedan and in most cases they get better gas mileage then SUV's . For sure they have more room and ride better . ENJOY !!! RED
Old 08-28-2012, 11:43 AM
Sport_Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Does it have to be a car? I would think most any pick up with a camper would be ideal. Spilled fuel would not soil the carpet, and the wife would not complain about the smell, if she would even dare to drive the truck!
Old 08-28-2012, 11:51 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If it isn't intended to be used as a family car, a mid '70s full size wagon works great. Throw out all but the driver's seat and it will haul a boat load of equipment with very easy access to any and all of it. You will have four doors to get to the stuff as well as a rear gate that will hinge from both the top and side in many cases. We choose to ignore fuel consumption if we decide to go this route. And they can be had for under $500.00.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:33 AM
ppkk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's a big jump ???? Minivans are just a larger sedan and in most cases they get better gas mileage then SUV's . For sure they have more room and ride better . ENJOY !!! RED

Haha, I guess everything is relative! Considering I have always driven mid-sized sedans, this does seems like a big jump to me, Can't dispute anything that you are saying though.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:43 AM
ppkk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: topspin

I totally agree, used soccer mom minivans in nice cndx can be had for a song. They will haul all of your planes and gear and the best part is you don't have to give up your regular wheels. When it get's to the point where you need to get a tetanus shot to drive it, junk it and get another one.

I have actually thought about something like this, but unfortunately I have no place to park it. Another thought that crossed my mind was a small tow trailer, but I have the same space issue. Either way, I do need something more practical for every day use and road trips etc. so I might as well get an all-purpose vehicle.

I've been looking at a Mazda CX-9 (Red will rightfully argue that this is not much smaller than a minivan ). It has a ton of room inside and drives nice, trying to see if I can work something out with the dealer, if not the search will continue...
Old 08-30-2012, 12:13 PM
red head

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Actually I like a FULL sized van . They are low enough that you don't have to climb a ladder to get at things. They can have doors on both sides and the rear making it real easy to get in or at anything in it. They are completly covered and lock secured . The inside can be set up in a million ways to do your job.

They can still have seats and not lose much space. You can carry friends etc. and when the weather is a bit nasty you can have a beer bust in the van ( out of the weather ). They ride pretty good and some of them even get fair gas milage if you don't push down to hard with the right foot.

As far as being big, it's relevent. Just like our planes, it won't be long and they get bigger and bigger and we just ENJOY them that much more.
I guess now you can see that I don't like pickups either . LOL Any way, what ever you get just make sure it's what you want, if you don't you will hate it forever. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 08-30-2012, 01:18 PM
flyinwalenda

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ppkk

ORIGINAL: topspin

I have actually thought about something like this, but unfortunately I have no place to park it. Another thought that crossed my mind was a small tow trailer, but I have the same space issue. Either way, I do need something more practical for every day use and road trips etc. so I might as well get an all-purpose vehicle.

I've been looking at a Mazda CX-9 (Red will rightfully argue that this is not much smaller than a minivan ). It has a ton of room inside and drives nice, trying to see if I can work something out with the dealer, if not the search will continue...

Well , another idea that some folks have done is to look for a neglected pop-up camper about 8' long. leave the fiberglass lid(roof) and gut the rest, put in some tie-down rings, compartment for wings, etc ...and you have a nice ,cheap ,plane trailer.