The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Lame hobby?

Old 09-04-2012, 02:30 PM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Lame hobby?

I know not too many people are into flying R/C anymore, but I didn't know it was actually considered "lame," by mainstream standards. Cool dragon plane though, it was in the AMA magazine a while back....

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/3...source=message
Old 09-04-2012, 02:35 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Lame hobby?

More like a lame website with lame articles and lame writers !
Is "lame" even "trendy" anymore?
Old 09-04-2012, 03:04 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I interviewed him at the Toledo Show this year. Very cool model indeed!!!

Ken
Old 09-04-2012, 04:39 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I believe it is covered in the latest issue of Model Aviation...the model that is....
Old 09-04-2012, 04:46 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (107)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well if RC is lame, than so be it. I am not going to give it up and I would consider the author of the article a lame idiot for making such a broad statement. It is a cool dragon, Dave
Old 09-04-2012, 05:38 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

RC isn't lame. There is a distinct possibility that, if this hobby has declined in any way at all, it is our society that is lame for allowing it to happen.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:10 AM
scottrc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A cool hobby for the target audience of the magazine and website involves piercing something, watching Snookie, obsessing on Facebook, and hookahing on a bong.

Anything that involves thinking, creativity, and dexterity would be considered lame to these clowns.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:29 AM
topspin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So is crashing into a fence at 75 MPH, parts flying and yelling an obscenity in a park where kids can hear you lame? I don't think so.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:43 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: scottrc

A cool hobby for the target audience of the magazine and website involves piercing something, watching Snookie, obsessing on Facebook, and hookahing on a bong.

Anything that involves thinking, creativity, and dexterity would be considered lame to these clowns.

+1

-
Old 09-07-2012, 05:59 PM
Charlie P.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I haven't worried what the "mainstream" thought about anything since about . . . ever.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:37 PM
Zlash03
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree that it isnt as popular, but with a certain % of the population.(Since most of the time when I see people flying planes they are snotty old men with grey hair. Not everyone is old but a large % is. Im only 17 and fly helicopters.) Also a lot of people dont have the patience or skill to do it. What person with a job and/or school wants to go buy a $400 plane and then find some airfield with snotty old men and try to ask them to teach you how to fly it? I sure dont. I spent $150 on a brand new trainer and couldnt fly it and there is no airfiled to find anyone to teach me how to fly it within 2 hours. What a waste honestly.

I bough a Blade mQX recently and within 5 flights i was a champion at it. I could fly it without even seeing it most of the time, or in 10mph+ winds! Still cant fly a TRAINER plane though. Its an aggravating hobby to say the least if you dont know what your doing cause it feels like you need a pilots license to man the stupid thing.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:16 PM
countilaw

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well Zlash, I'm sorry you feel that way. But I'm going to play devil's advocate here, Because I'm one of those "snotty old men with grey hair." If you bought a trainer for $150, it probably wasn't much of a trainer, but a small foamy that is too light for any type of wind and not very stable. I wouldn't attempt to teach someone to fly with a cheap toy airplane. And let's face it, a plane that has to be flown in little to no wind is nothing but a toy plane. You really need a 40 size plane with trike gear. And yes it can be a foamy. There are several of these types of planes on the market, but they cost upwards of $400.

Now for being snotty old men with grey hair. They ( I ) have been flying planes since we were kids your age and younger. I started in 1958. The last thing we ( I ) want is a snotty kid coming up to me with his toy airplane and wanting me to show him how to fly it. We have better sense than to try to teach anyone to fly with a small, under powered and too light, plane. How many times have I had a kid ( some adults also ) come up to me with a P-51, P-40, Corsair, or a AT 6 Texan, wanting me to teach him how to fly it. If you can't be talked into buying a true trainer, you can't be taught how to fly.
An old teacher once said, " Too impatient is he."

On the other hand, I have taught many a youngster to fly radio controlled airplanes as well as C/L airplanes. My own kids learned at a very young age. But they had a proper trainer and listened to what I had to say. So sometimes it the youngsters attitude that causes us snotty old men with grey hair to turn away.

But in most instances, Those snotty old men with grey hair are more that happy to teach a newby to fly his airplane. I know my friends, as well as myself, are always willing, when approached the right way.

Iam glad to hear that you enjoy flying your Blade McX helicopter. (Just don't get cocky about it, it's a toy designed for kids, 5 and up to play with.) LOL

Old 09-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Zlash03
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I see. I dont go around to people and demand help or be rude or anything (Im really kinda shy actually). The trainer I bought is a Firebird Stratos. It has the Tri-Gear but I dont know how to size it. so Ill just leave the dimmensions and various other info here:

Wingspan: 42.0 inches

Overall Length: 30.0 Inches

Flying weight: 17.0 oz

Experience Level: Beginner

Plane Type: Trainers

I sorta just gave up with the idea of ever flying one EVER after I had 2 severe crashs from less than 20ft off the ground. The first time the nose broke off, then the second time the fuselage cracked in half more than halfway down the plane. Another time it crashed and one motor started smoking like crazy. Thats when I glued it back together and now it sits at the bottom of my bed, unused since May 25th. (Bought it May 20th). So now because of that one thing Im afraid and bitter of the R/C Plane hobby. I will most likely never touch a plane again. Unless its something indoor for $50 or something.

But to be honest, I envy the people who can fly these things cause its surely an awesome skill. Nice job for flying that long. I chose cars and Quadrocopters/Helicopters cause they are simple, easy, and almost no learning curve. (Who has never driven an rc car?) Im also (like I stated before) a 17 year old. I go to coneventions periodically and film them with my cars or mQX, and sport the appropriate body or canopy for the Con. Cant fly a plane in the New Jersey Meadolands Expo center.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:13 PM
dmoody19
My Feedback: (24)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi guys,
 I started in this unpopular sport in the early 1980's. Then the military took me far away and life changed what was important. About 8 years ago I had another huge life change and found time to get back into this hobby. I have to say it is crazy to think this is a hobby that nobody likes because millions around the world love it.  The airfield I fly at here in Florida has many old men, some very very old (me I am 50).  However: to call any of them  names is not right. All of these men and women have always stepped up and offered their help to me from day one.  I was very rusty but got lucky and found a yard sale that had a few engines and planes including a wonderful superstar .40 size hobbico plane. I did a lot of research and after a couple mistakes with radio gear I changed out the old 72 mhz JR receiver and bought a used spektrum 6 channel radio that would be there for me while I learned and when I advanced up the chain It would always be more than enough radio for me LAter I got a new SD10G radio and in fact I now have a few different radios including spektrum 6 and 8 channel radios that are also awesome radios. SO.... I got all the rc stuff from the yard sale for 50 bucks and the engine ran great. With thespektrum 6 radio and that plane I had put around 250 dollars into the first plane and radio. You could too if you are careful and ask the right questions. This plane is the perfect trainer. Wind doesn't phase it at all as long as it isn't 30 miles an hour or more...

Back to the old guys.... right away they came over and a couple guys checked out my plane and servo setup and they helped me with my setups. first flight they flew it from take off and then let me take over and fly around and land.. I have been re-hooked ever since...