Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

The times, they are a changin! Say it ain't so Joe?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

The times, they are a changin! Say it ain't so Joe?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 02:06 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: The times, they are a changin! Say it ain't so Joe?

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

ORIGINAL: Mike in DC

Listen to yourselves, guys! You are totally insulting a whole generation of potential pilots. You don't like them. You think they are soft. You think your generation was so much better than them (even though you were the parents that raised themor you raised the parents of the parents). OK, you have a right to your opinions. But then you turn around and say your club membership is declining. Who the heck would WANT to be in a club that has such disdain for everybody not in their generation?

Personally I have no problem with the younger generation (I'm 60 and I raised three of the hardest working youngsters you'll ever meet, and all their friends are pretty amazing as well). But I do have a problem with clubs and older guys that seem to be stuck in an older technological age.

I think a lot of clubs are still in the mode of glow and gasoline planes weighing 6 pounds or more. With that sized plane you probably need a lot of rules and a field safety marshall, and pilot "stations", and no spectators on the field, etc. etc. But now almost everybody is flying electrics that weigh a couple of pounds or less. Could they hurt somebody in a freak accident? Sure, but freak accidents can happen anytime, and they are thankfully rare. I've seen people scared away from clubs by "safety" field marshalls that clearly were still thinking of olden times.

Most clubs are still training potential pilots with glow or gas planes. Half the training time is spent going over safety and fooling around with temperamental engines and other complex gear. I know from training my friends that you can learn 100 times faster with a nice 2 pound electric trainer. First, it's easier to fly, and second, you just turn it on and it works. If it crashes, you hot glue it back together or buy some inexpensive replacement parts. Why would a new person stay with the club when the club members are actually making it harder to learn to fly? And then they can read here that the older generation looks down on them for taking the easy route, when every single one of them would have done exactly the same thing if the technology were available.
Yep, you got it Mike. Get them a a cheap, lightRTF, take them down to the park and get that piece of crap int he air. Don't worry about safety - hell if it goes throught he window of someone's car just run like hell. If it hits a kid palying with his dog, so what - the dog would have hurt the plane anyway.

What is the matter with you Mike? Safety, even with a 2 pound electric is paramount. The I'll do what I want attitude is nohting but trouble, serious trouble. But you don't give a damn do you?

I don't want to stray too far off -topic but that comment threw me a bit too. Safety needs to be one everyone's mind and the most important thing at any field. To dismiss it is foolhardy. But, a lot of people do have the hooray for me to h&ll with everyone(or anything) else attitude and fly where ever and when ever they want not thinking or caring what could happen.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:15 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am happy to go to our field and fly or sometimes just sit with a couple of friends and watch the clouds go by. Maybe we will fly and maybe not. I feel the hobby is not about flying but making the best out of what you have. Flying will always be there. Good friends will eventually go away for one reason or another. If you and one or two others show up at your field have fun with it. You don't need 25-30 flyers around to have a good time.

Just the way I see it.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:18 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

You can always invite these types to a combat session with their giant size somebody else made the plane. See how they get real touchy then!
Old 10-04-2012, 04:29 PM
ovationdave
My Feedback: (16)

Right there with ya mike. Half of it is about getting outside, talking with like-minded people, forgetting about your problems, and talkingabout nothing more than planes. Its funny how I can spend 6 hours at the field and fly 3 times. Its about more than flying, its a great stress reliever (well, that is, assuming there are no unfortuate incidents).

Dave

ORIGINAL: mike31

I am happy to go to our field and fly or sometimes just sit with a couple of friends and watch the clouds go by. Maybe we will fly and maybe not. I feel the hobby is not about flying but making the best out of what you have. Flying will always be there. Good friends will eventually go away for one reason or another. If you and one or two others show up at your field have fun with it. You don't need 25-30 flyers around to have a good time.

Just the way I see it.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: acerc

So I mispelled WHINERS you got the point. And it has been corrected. As for winners and losers, you mean to tell me every kid should not get a trophy. Ohhhhhh the horror of it. Choke, gag, puke. Hell no. Losers not only should not get a trophy but, as I had to do in LL, applaude the winner's. Sure made me wanna work harder to be a winner. Might have something to do with why and how I retired at 45 years of age.

Acerc,

Check out our latest flyer for a contest, not a fly-in.

Kurt
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45264.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	1807899  
Old 10-05-2012, 06:15 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote]ORIGINAL: ovationdave

Right there with ya mike. Half of it is about getting outside, talking with like-minded people, forgetting about your problems, and talking about nothing more than planes. Its funny how I can spend 6 hours at the field and fly 3 times. Its about more than flying, its a great stress reliever (well, that is, assuming there are no unfortuate incidents).

Dave

Last Saturday I went to the field and it was a bit breezy. Nobody was there. Let me tell you, it is not the same to fly alone than when you are in a group... Much more fun if there is social interaction, you learn about other models, etc.

Did 4 flights, went home.

Gerry
Old 10-05-2012, 07:04 AM
VIRGINIA MODEL BUILDERS
My Feedback: (159)

our company is based in Glen Allen VA and I fly at a great field in Thornburg.Our membership keeps growing and range from teenagers to those in their 80's how does 100 members sound 2 runways, clubhouse with heat and air etc. In this area things are veryy active
heck us out http://fredericksburgrc.com/
Old 10-05-2012, 07:45 AM
Pecanpatch

ORIGINAL: oliveDrab

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

There used to be a rule. You had to build the airplane you entered in the contest. Whatever happened to that?
That's a great rule. Which one of the following builds would satisfy that rule:

1. building from scratch?
2. building a kit?
3. building an ARF?

I assume that #3, building an ARF, would violate the rule.

You dont build ARF's , you do a final assembly
Old 10-05-2012, 08:20 AM
dadragon

It is a hobby and should be treated as such,some like it some dont,I DO,I am a builder and fly some but not very will so I build and I love it.I get a set of plans enlarge,modify.First the engine size then build the plane around it and as far as noise if you cant hear it,why fly it. arfs have ruined the (Hobby-Sport)of RC aircraft as far as building and being proud of the finished product and to see in flite.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:59 AM
kurt2022
My Feedback: (18)

After reading all the comments I believe there are a few areas doing well and even growing, but for most parts of the country that isn't the case, well at least where I live its not! Talking to a club member the other day, that also has quite a bit of rc planes and equipment, he stated we are already too deep in it to just get out, that is if we don't want to pretty much give all our stuff away! I will not buy any new planes and only get what is necessary to keep the current planes going. I will just have to trudge on and hope this multi-year downward trend will miraculasly turn its self around! I do really enjoy flying my planes but the maintaince is the part that I have to force myself to do, but if you don't fix them sooner or later you will have nothing to fly! I never thought in my wildest imagination that when I was amassing my fleet of planes that there could be a possibility that they might out last the hobby, Well in my area at least!
Old 10-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Bozarth

ORIGINAL: dadragon

... arfs have ruined the (Hobby-Sport)of RC ...
For whom???? Builders who are proud of their product don't buy ARFS, so their hobby isn't ruined.
Non-builders don't care that they bought an ARF, so their hobby isn't ruined.

So I'm not sure how ARFs have ruined the hobby for anyone, unless you are upset that somebody else bought an ARF.

Kurt
Old 10-05-2012, 11:06 AM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

This is a great thread! I am a builder and an old f_rt! I've been in the hobby for over 60 years, starting at a very young age, of course. At my field, ARFs predominate with only a few members in the 50+size club really builders. Thats OK, we all get along and enjoy the hobby and get out of it what we want. The fellowship is as important as the flying.

Paul
Old 10-05-2012, 11:45 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

+1
Old 10-05-2012, 01:17 PM
dreamwever

RCPaul said it right the fellowship is just as much fun as the flying. helping each other out and just having a good time.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:55 PM
Bill G

ORIGINAL: Bozarth

ORIGINAL: dadragon

... arfs have ruined the (Hobby-Sport)of RC ...
For whom???? Builders who are proud of their product don't buy ARFS, so their hobby isn't ruined.
Non-builders don't care that they bought an ARF, so their hobby isn't ruined.

So I'm not sure how ARFs have ruined the hobby for anyone, unless you are upset that somebody else bought an ARF.

Kurt
I would be the last person to say that ARFs ruined the hobby as I got started with a few myself, although I'm exclusively a builder now. I wouldn't dismiss the statement that was made however, as the people behind them, not the ARFs themselves, can be a different story. I have had a few smart remarks made toward my builds from builders, but in the past few years, there has been a mass increase of people on some forums (more on another forum than here by far) that contribute nothing but smart remarks and challenging of others. They tend to be ARFers and not builders. Again not the fault of the ARFs, but just the people. That may have had some influence on the original poster of the ARF statement.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:11 PM
Bozarth

Stereotyping at its finest!

Kurt
Old 10-05-2012, 06:44 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

some times we get only 3 flyers any givin day our club had 140 members now maybe only 50 but i been there 3 yrs and only know about 6 people where did the rest go> so it makes it nice for me and we are all in our 60 80 ages> but i dont care if any more then that come i have seen sometimes iam the only one there real nice for me
Old 10-05-2012, 07:30 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

+1, dave.. I will sontetimes carry 2 or 3 planes, and only fly 3 or 4 times in a 5 hour session, the rest of the time is spent with fellow modlers engaging in "Hangar Flying".. just haveing like minded people to talk to is a great stress reliever for me..

Craig.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:42 AM
Bill G

ORIGINAL: Bozarth

Stereotyping at its finest!

Kurt
Go to RCSB, and try to find even 1 contributing builder that has caused even 1/100th as many problems as about 50 regulars at another place that starts with an R, and is not RCU. None of those 50 regulars are builders, as far as I would know. Not a stereotype, but just an observation.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:29 PM
corvette65
My Feedback: (3)

Not so in Canada. Every week someone new joins our club. Just went to our MAAC(Canadian version of AMA) zone meeting and it was a record attendance.You need good hobby stores in your area to generate interest-not only online stores. Canada has a new store(Great Hobbies) in all the major markets and they are generating excitement. Your initial purchase usually is in a store,not online so you need well stocked stores.The problem in the US is the absence of any major hobby store chain that have well stocked stores.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:50 PM
acerc

Sarah, you are absolutely correct in the fact that we need better stores. Problem is the store's are not in it to promote the hobby. Only to make a buck. The easiest way to do that is to cater to the now crowd. At least that is their mindset. I have talked with several of the LHS's to no avail on this issue. Not all are that way, but most. Another large part of the problem, here at least, is the overburdening government regulation's, excessive taxation, lack of descent help, and insurance. I use to be in buisiness for myself and was so for 27 year's. Two factor's made me dicide to retire early, #1 government regulation and #2 the mentality of employee's. It all became more than it was worth to stay open.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:32 AM
Bill G

ORIGINAL: Teachu2
Kits required learning skills and developing craftsmanship - hobby activities. ARFs removed patience, dedication, and craftsmanship from the equation. Electric foamies moved it into the amusement/toy category.
Yeah, that kinda falls in line with the comment previously made about folks "getting out of the hobby". You just don't "get out of the hobby", when craftsmanship and building are a way of life for you. Not to compare it with the mob, but a person just can't quit when they are into it like that. Folks get upset when "the hobby" is not characterized as the same thing, whether they are foam RTFers or 100% scratch builders. Reality is simply that it's not the same thing. It shouldn't be considered demeaning or insulting either, as it's simply a difference. If a person becomes bored with flying and doesn't build, then that's pretty much the end of it for them. I haven't flown in a month, but I just finished my last project a few days ago, and am actively searching for the next one to start. I don't think I can go more than a week without building, although I think I'll finally get around to flying the last few yet unflown completed builds in the next few days, with some great weather coming.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20072.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	1814205  
Old 10-23-2012, 01:28 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

Actually, after decades of building, designing, and flying models and teaching others to do the same, I recently left the hobby. Skills acquired in the r/c hobby transfer to many other fields of endeavor. Even though I did teach professionally at times, it's still a hobby. Other interests took priority, and there are only 24 hours in a day.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:39 AM
Yourworstnightmare

Ya'know what's funny? I'm 27 years old, and I couldn't agree with you guys more. (Those of you who are older than I am.)

The entitlement culture has absolutely zero desire to put EFFORT into anything. They're lazy, fat, and all they want is the next iPhone or iPad. They will never sit down and work on anything that requires time, dedication, and a sense of mechanics. They don't know how to change a flat tire on the side of a road, and they don't know how to install a ceiling fan in their homes. They're absolutely useless on every level, and just milking us that DO KNOW how to do things dry.

It's sad that at MY AGE, I can see it clear as day, and agree with you guys. The society of today, or "$30,000 millionaries" is too busy buying $250 designer jeans, wasting money at the club on $16 drinks, and spending all their time chasing worthless ****s who suck their pockets dry. They're too naive to see it happening right in front of their faces, and still come home empty at the end of the night.

Hobbies are a fantastic thing to do in your free time. Especially those that mentally challenge you, and can possibly physically challenge you as well. (My other "hobby" is mountain biking. I freakin' love it).

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:11 AM
kurt2022
My Feedback: (18)

Yourworstnightmare,
It is sad to see the majority of younger people with NO DESIRE(beneath them, they think) to learn any mechanical skills that would save them a fortune in their lifetime! I had a neighbor kid come over a while back and complain about an auto shop wanting to charge him $60 to change the serpentine belt on his pick up. I told him I would do it for half that! I grabbed my ratchet and an extension and bent back the spring tensioner and had the belt changed in 5 minutes! The neighbor kid freaked out that it would have cost him $60 for 5 minutes work and I told him to buy me a 6 pack of new castle brown ale and we were even. Most kids today think that they have to be taught everything and can't learn anything on their own with a little reseach and effort on their part, I'm sure there are a million videos on youtube on how to change a serpentine belt!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.