Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: garage launch slowstick 12am

quote from a viewer of the clip in that city above:
    They're modelο»Ώ airplanes that a ***group*** of people were flying on FM 179. I passed right by them.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

elect officials that prevent lightweight drone flights in a city if you want to.

I'll live in places that allow it, as i currently do.

my prediction is faa will define a weight that allows civilian uavs to continue

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: brandon429

Now lets add a little more to the mix, I don't give ya'll all my ammunition up front you get it parsed as needed.

Local news did a story once on my plane

They asked the local city codes dept if there are laws about flying planes over houses and they said no there aren't, its a non issue.

This was in the news report. They didn't include threats of "if he crashed I will incarcerate him immediately" or anything, likely because they and local pd are out shopping for robbers and people who don't mow lawns and stuff.

My city has actually reviewed my flights, neat huh.

Im telling you to no avail lots of prep went into this.

So, proof. There are like 4 cool people in this thread who won't out my city for the reasons I mentioned. I'll pm you the news link and you can watch the whole clip with the understanding you repost it to nobody you can just say "yep, thats what they said"

Please post the archive news article link to your story.

Brian Ray

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Lol who said anything about getting arrested for night flying! Where did that come from! I am getting whiplash trying to follow along!!

Tell the one again about why flying over houses is as safe as park flying, that one is much more entertaining on a slow Friday of babysitting!
    Matt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Matt that was a reference to the ridiculous writing of Airplanes400 in the poll thread. its exaggerated wildly.

You were on my very tip top list as one of the cool ones walenda, I can't link to you fast enough

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Matt that was a reference to the ridiculous writing of Airplanes400 in the poll thread. its exaggerated wildly.

You were on my very tip top list as one of the cool ones walenda, I can't link to you fast enough

Please bear with me as this is a long post.

Many of these posts are way overdone. Risk taking is the reason we have much of the technology we do today! Pure and simple. There are thousands of thousands of laws in the US and most of them are a total wacked out mess. You probably would not be able to turn your lights on if you knew the heart of the matter as there is probably some law to forbid it. More important is to respect your fellow man and do what is right by that pretense.

Respect will not fail anyone - might make some mad, but overall is unfailing. Man's laws have failed over and over again and have a consistency of doing so. That is why they have to keep adding a law or rule at every blink of the eye and complexity reigns. Many call it Red Tape or rule bloat. I have seen Red Tape blind good visions many times over now.

I looked at the poll and there are no variables at all. It is just basically should FPVs fly over populated areas? What the heck good is that? Without any information you could just respond yes or no. You could do the same thing and state should kites fly over populated areas (because a kite string is unsafe when it wrapps around a child's neck)? Yes or no? Never take your kite to the beach again.

We could go on and on with polls that are useless and prove nothing. Should eagles be allowed to live in populated areas (since they could drop large limbs while building their nest that would kill someone)? Should kids be allowed to play on skateboards in cul de sacs (since they could damage someones car or cause an accident)? Should kids be allowed to run RC cars in mall parkets lots (since they could hit someone's ankle)? All of these have dependencies before any type of consensus poll will give any good info.

I have given this example before because it is true. I am a member of two separate RC Flying clubs. One has rule after rule and the other only has one rule. To sum it up the one rule is: "Behave yourself and respect others." Guess which club has more drama than Peyton Place? Both clubs have been around for over 30 years.

The club that has no rules and has never had an issue. They discuss anything that might become an issue and everything is out on the table. You simply respect others and if for any reason you do not ALL of the club members share in the responsibility of letting you know. They are an AMA club and do follow AMA rules, but have never had to bother with them at all. It is very nicely handled.

Now the other club...what can be said? Some drama going on most of the time. Almost like teenagers belly aching and complaining, etc. I used to fly with a gentleman there and he finally "dissed" them - one of the nicest and esiest going guys I have known. He drives a greater distant to a club now. I have never seem him out of line once. One day I asked him, why he left? He said, too much drama!

My main point here is that there are good people in both clubs but look at what rules can do if respect is thrown out of the window. If Brandon follows all laws of the land (which we don't know he isn't) and the law of respect to his fellow man, then he is doing right in my book. If not, and his little FPV hits someone and somehow hurts them then he will live with the consequences.

Will it hurt RC? It may, but then should we all live under a basket and never come out in case we stub our toe?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Talking about other posts being overdone and then writing an overdone post !    The topic is RC FPV flying over a development/neighborhood, not eagles flying, skateboards, kites, etc.  There are no variables in the topic discussion because there is no room for any. It doesn't matter.  Flying  any type of RC FPV over a neighborhood is not safe , respectful, nor is it a smart thing to do. Doing so could result in  major personal problems and  quite possibly cause damage to the hobby.
    Brian Ray

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My club has but the one rule ... and even that ain't written down... "Don't do nuthin' dumb".

Fly what you want, how you want ... but the consequences belong to YOU.

They asked the local city codes dept if there are laws about flying planes over houses and they said no there aren't, its a non issue.
    City codes were not broken. Just state and common law.
    Glow Head Brotherhood #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bogbeagle

Fly what you want, how you want ... but the consequences belong to YOU.
    Have you seen the several examples posted here? One guy does something dumb and the field is closed to RC. Maybe things are different in Great Britain I don't know.

If I knew the consequences were limited to the one guy I would not have posted once.
    Matt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well then, mr matt, we come right back to the "political system" being at fault... tyrannical, even, just like those crappy teachers who punished us for the sins of other kids.

I, for one, will not collaborate with those of that mindset. If you harass the Brandons of this world, then you are doing tyrants' dirty work for them.

Yes, the self-same people abound here, too. They will latch onto any indiscretion as an excuse to ban those things of which they don't approve... and the list is without end. That's exactly how they got our guns; but they couldn't have done it without the active collaboration of the great, unthinking, majority.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was putting myself out there pretty well in posting here uninvited, its been interesting pressing everyone for the heart of the matter. Some like walenda will continue with the blanket statements that all rc around people is bad, except for toy grade rc that has never harmed anyone and we can convert those to FPV as well, but they won't discuss that angle, they can't afford to think through compromises, looks bad to peers vs me who doesnt care what peers think unless they are reasonable.

To the guy who keeps posting I broke state and federal issues lol its not even worth a response Im not mad if you keep writing that, we've shown otherwise quite effectively. The challenge exists for anyone to find federal non compliance and I'll pull the vid.

I wonder if those who have all AMA rules/history memorized can tell me if there has ever been a payout from flying a slow stick in the history of ama payouts? just wondering. If there's one, I bet there isn't two, let me know.

The toy grade thing was never a distraction, its a step up in safety that will satisfy everyone who admits it. I tried to be very carefully planned with my uber light weight slow stick, as light as I can get it to do the job, and its understandable not everyone agrees. The toy grade conversions were an important compromise in flying wherever I want to...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

"active" and "unthinking" at the same time? Robots?

Anyway, 85% of the folks here are active and thinking and they vote "no".
    \"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; In practice, there is\"

Intolerance is not to be tolerated

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jollypopper ... are you saying that your Point of View gains legitimacy because "85% of people" agree with it?

Forget the "active" and the "unthinking", if you like. Let's concentrate on the collaborating. Can I assume that you would like to see Brandon's activities banned, using the force of Law?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: flyinwalenda

Talking about other posts being overdone and then writing an overdone post !Β*Β*Β* The topic is RC FPV flying over a development/neighborhood, not eagles flying, skateboards, kites, etc.Β* There are no variables in the topic discussion because there is no room for any. It doesn't matter.Β* FlyingΒ* any type of RC FPV over a neighborhood is not safe , respectful, nor is it a smart thing to do. Doing so could result inΒ* major personal problems andΒ* quite possibly cause damage to the hobby.
    I can see my post was not understood. A long thought out and post and overdone are two quite different things. Hopefully some understood the reasoning.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Walenda, flying airplanes anywhere in the national airspace without a pilots license is completely illegal and terrible.

Do I mean rc or real planes? Clarification matters bub.

The poll is a slanted medium for topspin to recover from his ham out here in my thread

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well then, mr matt, we come right back to the ''political system'' being at fault... tyrannical, even, just like those crappy teachers who punished us for the sins of other kids.

I, for one, will not collaborate with those of that mindset. If you harass the Brandons of this world, then you are doing tyrants' dirty work for them.

Yes, the self-same people abound here, too. They will latch onto any indiscretion as an excuse to ban those things of which they don't approve... and the list is without end. That's exactly how they got our guns; but they couldn't have done it without the active collaboration of the great, unthinking, majority.
    Good Lord, bogbeagle,
    of course that's how they got your guns. "They' likely wouldn't have done it without the active individual acts of the great, unthinking, few.
    That is exactly what we here are trying to prevent.
    Is it really so foggy over there?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We are looking through two ends of a telescope.

They "got our guns" because the majority of people are quite content to see "the class punished for the indiscretions of the individual".

They'll get yours the same way ... and don't give me any guff about, "My cold, dead hands."

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes, bogbeagle, that is exactly what I am saying. It is called "democracy". Whether you believe it or not, it damn sure DOES gain legitimacy because 85% DO believe it. I'm net even sure what kind of "unthinking" person would make a statement like that.

You made may argument better than I did.
    \"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; In practice, there is\"

Intolerance is not to be tolerated

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We are looking through two ends of a telescope.

They ''got our guns'' because the majority of people are quite content to see ''the class punished for the indiscretions of the individual''.

They'll get yours the same way ... and don't give me any guff about, ''My cold, dead hands.''
    I'm not saying you are wrong, just saying
    you are being bull-headedly unrealistic.
    What most of us here are trying to do,
    is head off the acts that would cause all of us to be punished.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Walenda, flying airplanes anywhere in the national airspace without a pilots license is completely illegal and terrible.

Do I mean rc or real planes? Clarification matters bub.

The poll is a slanted medium for topspin to recover from his ham out here in my thread
    BUB?? Easy there Napoleon.
    What are you taking about now ? The poll asks " Is Flying FPV Over a Neighborhood OK?" It's in a RC Forum and is directly related to this thread. For those paying attention, no clairfication is needed. Haven't you figured that out .....YET?
    By the way, where is that link , video, scanned newspaper copy, on the news article about your flight? We are all anxiously waiting to read it.
    Brian Ray

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Can't give it to ya man..its better if you make the statement "he doesn't have one" and type a few more things and move on. Then back, then on again long about page 15.

Top can run his poll as he pleases.

I've offered to discuss compromise and miniaturization and you won't hear it.

You pick a plane small enough that it cannot damage any structure and I'll fpv it, then there's no issue.

There are planes too small to damage any structure in my flight pattern, it just curbs having to think if we steer clear and say all rc around people and structures are bad. The various decent sized indoor flyers are totally harm free yet all of the sudden nobody will talk about them rationally, its just dig your heels in, all rc around people is bad, hype about cameras.

Also its my opinion you have the right to hate over flights of fpv. I'm exercising allowances to use the airspace conveniently and it hasn't hurt anyone in a decade. It seemed to me downsizing could be continued to maximize safety.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I know how democracy works, Popper ... that's why I think it's crap. You can vote for murder and call it legal. Of all people, Americans should know that.

Let's go back in time, 50 years or so.

Brandon turns up and tells you about his tiny FPV plane. I'll bet you'd have said, "Wow, that's fantastic, Brandon. This guy is an achiever." Pat on the back for Brandon. Smiles all round.

Fast forward to 2012 and the majority consensus is that Brandon is a nail, standing proud. "Let's hammer him down." "Brandon, you've gotta subsume your desires to the group. Act for the common good, Brandon."

Plenty of "common-gooders" on here. As I recall, that was the rallying cry of the National Socialists, wasn't it? Group before individual. I generally call it the "European Disease", but I see that the Atlantic has been no barrier to the spread of infection. Personal achievement is frowned on, here ... it usually attracts a fine called "extra taxation". For the "common good", you understand.

Anyway, it becomes clear why groups, such as the FPVers, have to split away from the mainstream of modellers. It's looking like a fine flying day, today. I shall be out, later, scandalising the neighbourhood with my model aeroplane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bog, I perceive this to be a sensitive issue. This may be a good subject for another thread. I too have some soapboxes that I like to climb up on.

Can democracy work effectively when good people are the ones making the decisions? I am more of a person that prefers good folks joined together to make good choices. Maybe democracy is not allowed to work? I realize we suffer in this country from the wackos running it for greed and lust for power. Again a topic for another day.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I know how democracy works, Popper ... that's why I think it's crap. You can vote for murder and call it legal. Of all people, Americans should know that.

Let's go back in time, 50 years or so.

Brandon turns up and tells you about his tiny FPV plane. I'll bet you'd have said, ''Wow, that's fantastic, Brandon. This guy is an achiever.'' Pat on the back for Brandon. Smiles all round.

Fast forward to 2012 and the majority consensus is that Brandon is a nail, standing proud. ''Let's hammer him down.'' ''Brandon, you've gotta subsume your desires to the group. Act for the common good, Brandon.''

Plenty of ''common-gooders'' on here. As I recall, that was the rallying cry of the National Socialists, wasn't it? Group before individual. I generally call it the ''European Disease'', but I see that the Atlantic has been no barrier to the spread of infection. Personal achievement is frowned on, here ... it usually attracts a fine called ''extra taxation''. For the ''common good'', you understand.

Anyway, it becomes clear why groups, such as the FPVers, have to split away from the mainstream of modellers. It's looking like a fine flying day, today. I shall be out, later, scandalising the neighbourhood with my model aeroplane.

Let's go back in time, oh, just a couple days ago.
    You said this:
    "It was just the same with Large Models ... and with Helis ... and with 3D ... and with electrics.

Nothing personal, you understand.

Can you imagine the fuss when RC began to emerge? "
    RC began to emerge more than 50 years ago.
    I'm sure that it caused plenty of consternation.
    But now you are saying had it been FPV RC, especially
    FPV flown over towns, it would have been welcomed with open arms?

I...don't...think...so...

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast