Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Jordan River Modelport Issues??

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Jordan River Modelport Issues??

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 07:22 PM
Cessna26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jordan River Modelport Issues??

Does anyone know about the Jordan River Modelport issues. They are planning on getting rid of it. Does anyone know any in depth information about it?
Old 09-10-2003, 09:31 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Jordan River Modelport Issues??

It doesn't surprise me that they are closing it for other use. I worked on a project near there on and off for 2 1/2 years. I stopped by during the week, on the weekends, in the spring, summer, and fall (sorry, skiing in winter!), and never saw one person using it, nada, nill, zip. Maybe that has something to do with it. It's a shame, because it was a good location.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:43 PM
Cessna26

Well now days I see 5 min. people there. Even sometimes during the week. Maybe you were there a really long time ago.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:58 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

It has been about a year and a half. Alot of people were flying out on the flats by Grantsville at that time.

I hope you can get enough support to keep the site, it is a great location.
Old 09-26-2003, 11:53 PM
AQ500

I have now been shot down twice at the Salt Lake Crashport in just over a year. I also witnessed 2 other shoot downs last year. It's a shame to see the place go, but others in the community also avoid flying there because of the expense of planes going down. I think the frequency control system needs to be re-thought because, as simple as it is, many people that fly there can't figure out how to use it correclty to avoid problems. It is a state park open to all people which I beleive is part of the problem. If the club was able to enforce the rules better and instruct all of the users with the correct methods of doing things, I think that the place would have more support.

The first time I was shot down was at the fly-in last year. A club member was setting up and turned on his radio while I was flying with my frequency marked. The most recent was a flier that marked his frequency with a piece of paper and then ignored the board for a couple of hours. His tag blew off before I arrived. My tag was up for about 30 minutes, which he didn't notice, and I was shot down.

There are many stories like this one that originate from there. I was amazed at the number of crash sites out on the field. If the frequency issues can be taken care of it would be a better place to fly. I just can't afford to fly there any more, the same with many others that are now migrating to alternate sites such as Grantsville. There are many prominent RC'ers in the area that share this point of view. I guess there is a bright side to it, the place is less crowded.

There are other reasons youngsters are few out there, but that's another story.

I hope the place stays open because I don't want the careless frequency control around when I am flying. We have never had a frequency related problem at our alternate site, which hopefully remains alternate and out of the way.
Old 10-01-2003, 12:05 PM
Arrow>>-->

The sports complex goes to a vote during the upcoming elections for a bond. If it passes and it looks like it will it will be designed and constructions probably started within the next 1 to 2 years. I have seen the preliminary plans and it consists of 30 soccer fields, 1 championship soccer field with a 15-20,000 seatin capacity around it, 8 baseball fields, lots of playgrounds and concesion stands, and lots of asphalt and grass parking areas. As part of building the complex they are looking for alterneative sites to construct a new Modelport from what I am told. So if any of you local guys know of a good site you should contact the city so they know about it.