Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Swap meets

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Swap meets

IMHO Swap meets are a thing of the past, like 72mhz, frequency board, the 8 track, cassette player, VCR, picture tube TV's, etc. I only sell on the Bay, RCU, and the other means of selling stuff to a larger market off of the Internet. We now have the convience of International shipping for the smaller items, which dramatically increases your market exposure, then just the local market. Swap meets, to me, have become a waste of time. Big planes are difficult to get rid of, unless priced accordingly, use local pick up so that I don't have to box a plane, is just as good as going to a swap meet. A swap meet, you just have the market of those who show up that day, but on the Internet, you can post a plane for sale until it sells, or as long as you want to list it. Smaller items, like engines, I have sold all over the world. I would have never got a good price on the local market, but due to our money not being worth much, I would still get a fair price for it Internationally. Swap meets are a good place to go and buy things cheap, then flip it on the Internet. Been there, done that.
    JPO Yearly Member. Retired ATP B-727, HS-125, IA-JET

AMA Turbine CD Waiver Holder- BVM F-16, CARF-Viper, Flash, Super Extra 3.2M, 44%Giles, Extra 330, 1/8th scale F-18, flying r/c since I was 11 years old.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My wife and me were at the Nashville swap meet as well. It is just a fun thing for us to look at models and see lots of friends. My wife did buy me an 81 inch span Eindecker with a G26 ready to fly for $210. One of the best deals I have made at a swap meet. My take after many years of swap meets. (40) yrs or there about, is it is mostly for fun. Some folks are asking an arm and a leg for junk. Some folks brought stuff that needed thrown in the trash rather than bring to a swap meet. Then there are actually some that know what the swap meets do and have some nice things very reasonable. I saw two brand new in the box G38s for $200 each. A real steal. I saw a DLE 30 price very reasonable and when a buyer offerd $10 less the seller got all upset. Told him to "GET AWAY" from his table. Hey guys, that is just how it works at swap meets. Being kind and saying I can't go that low will probably get you the sale. Going off on folks is not going to help your sales at all. My wife and me enjoy swap meets, had a great time got a couple items and supported the Nashville guys event. Looking forward to a few more in our area this winter. Brian

ORIGINAL: eindecker 3

I went to a swap meet yesterdayΒ* in Nasville Tn and found alot of good planes that I did want to getΒ*but with only $300 in my pocket I could not afford what some of the asking prices were. I did happen up on a Goldberg Falcon 56 kit that was IΒ*interested in, when I inquired about the price the guy wanted $200 for it I wolud haveΒ* gone as high as $150 for it.Β*he said it was a ''collectors item''. It just was overpriced for a kit that I would have builtΒ*and flown not become a ''hangar queen'' so I passed up on it as he seemed aggrivated that I was asking about it. It was not a total wasted trip as I picked up an electric B-25 for $90Β*that day andΒ*the seller was quite helpful as he powered up the plane to show that everything worked on the plane.
    Brian P. Smith Bismith2@hotmail.com
    AMA 1044 IMAA 21141 W4BPS <><

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My rules to swap meets:

If it smells worse than I do, don't buy it.
    If it's dirtier than I am, don't buy it.
    If I see the same item, at the same swap meet, year after year, don't buy it.

TBH, the things I buy at swap meets are the unique creations of fellow modelers.  Aircraft stands, restraints, tools.  I also buy the various clubs raffle tickets and that's about it.  Good times.
    Urge Congress to keep common sense in the skies

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This thread has brought up another thing I've noticed with buying and selling in hobbies of all kinds, which is the chasm of perceived value between buyers and sellers. I call it the 50% rule. Half of all sellers are unrealistically high on what they think their stuff is worth, usually based on what they spent on it initially. Stuff is only worth what someone will pay, and apparently that cardboard and instruction manual is worth a whole lot from new planes. So half of the sellers will never sell anything because they aren't dealing in reality on their prices. Ditto for buyers, but it goes the other way. Half of them are so cheap they'll never be able to buy anything because they are only willing to pay giveaway prices. Those who have good experiences at swap meets, classifieds, auctions and such are the ones who research prices and know how much stuff will actually sell for, both sellers and buyers, and make offers that are in that happy medium area. But there is a third option. To my mind the true gold to be found in swap meets is in the name of the event- swapping. An artful trader can improve his collection substantially without spending any money at all. Sellers who would turn their nose up at say a $200 offer on a nice plane will often trade your for an item that's only worth $150. It's just a matter of showing him something that looks interesting and not making it about money. Most of my collection has been acquired this way- buy large lots of stuff for a song, do a few repairs, sell the items that will sell well (little stuff and electronics) then trade the rest for stuff I actually want.
    No kid, I said break ground and fly into the wind!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I also went to Winston Salem 11/03 and had a pocket full of money but what got me was we were standing in line and seeing planes going out the back door before the doors opened. I know that happened because a couple of friends of mine had tables and thayhad sold most of there stuff before the doors opened.That must have been what all of the empty tables were for, to come in as a saler then buy.
    I have been to this swap meet before and bought planes, engines, parts, ect. ect. Going to Sanford Saturday 11/10 and see what happens.
    I was looking for glo engines but what I seen to me thay were a little high.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Some good ideas, some bad, lots of grumbling. Must be an RCU threadWe have always held our swap meet one week after one of the biggest in the area in March. If you live anywhere it gets cold for the winter then who wants to buy an airplane they are going to sit on all winter before they can fly it? Unless you are selling or buying kits looking for a winter project, trying to sell arfs oralready built planes I think is going to be slow this time of year. I for one refuse to pay more for a kit because it's "rare, or collectable" I don't want another box of stuff to sit in my attic, I want to to fly it! Like many here I see the same junk year after year being hauled form one meet to another, and the poor slob doing it is spending tons of $ on gas an table fees I sell it and get what I can for it thats the way it is, and I'm not in this hobby to make money. Yeh there's plenty of fools departing with their money buying current kits for more than new or almost new. I saw one guy selling a nib TF giant corsair for $350 plus $30 shipping and had to tell him it's only $299 new at tower and the shipping is free. By the way our club routinely makes $3500-$4000 every year on our 1 day meet; keeps our dues down to $65 yr. Be sensible in your pricing and except that you will lose money and you will sell it.
    If what you believed to be true was false would you want to know the truth?

"You shall know the truth, and the truth will set you free".

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We're going to have a swap meet here in Lubbock, Texas on February 2nd. It's going to be a small one, at least in terms of the number of tables available (25). But, we're holding it at the Silent Wings Museum. Lubbock Army Airfield (now Lubbock International) was a primary training facility for WWII glider pilots. Our swap meet is going to actually be held under the wings of one of these gliders and in the same proximity with the other exhibits in the main hangar exhibit hall. The museum staff is encouraging us to have a "show" as well, displaying models for static judging and awards. Don't know if we'll do that or not, but their enthusiasm and willingness to participate is contagious. If you have any suggestions, I would be really interested in hearing them. I am going to put up a Facebook page sometime either today or tomorrow with some of the details. We're looking at having a good time and maybe bringing a little interest back to RC here on the South Plains. Hope a lot of you get to come.
    Steve
    Fly it like you stole it

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've started the Facebook page with the basic information on it. You can find it under my name - Steve Shipley.
    Fly it like you stole it

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you are not familiar with auctions, swap meets , most of the selling & buying takes place the night before or the morning of the show before the doors open. Like the sellers say, we are our own best customers !
    Brian Ray

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here you go the grand daddy of tthem all http://www.cpaa.us/lots of good deals to be had.
    If what you believed to be true was false would you want to know the truth?

"You shall know the truth, and the truth will set you free".

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

stop bumping your own swap meet's the thread i think is about what goes on at a swap meets not add's on upcoming ones..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: zacharyR

stop bumping your own swap meet's the thread i think is about what goes on at a swap meets not add's on upcoming ones..

I see no problem with that, it's a service for those of us that live in this area. Most of those that are reading this thread attend, or will attend Swap meets. And as he said, it's the grandaddy of them all... Besides, his comment was "lots of good deals to be had", and I am witness to that.

Also, yes a lot is sold before the doors are opened, to those of us that enter early because we have tables, but the best prices, no doubt, go around noon, when people want to get rid of stuff in order not to take it back home.

My 2 cents.

Gerry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

MABE IAM WRONG BUT I SELL MY PLANES ALL IN # 1 CONDATION> IT ALL DEPENDS WHAT I HAVE IN THE PLANES> ENGINE SERVOS OR JUST THE PLANE WITHOUT ANYTHING>IF IT SAYS 200.00 IN THE CATALOG I SELL FOR 125.00 NOW I DONT SELL FOR ANY LESS> TIMES ARE HARD AND THE BUYER IS GETTING A BREAK ON IT> BUT I HAVE SEEN CARS LINED UP AT THE GATE WAITING TO GET IN AND PEOPLE DO SELL RIGHT THERE AND DO SELL A LOT ME TO

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My rule of thumb is never to buy used for more than $0.50 on the dollar.
    I have bought so many used planes that when I go to the field to fly them there is a ton of stuff wrong with them. That is why the seller wants to get rid of them.
    So if is half of the price of when it was new I'd consider it, more than that I'd rather buy new.
    Keep your wings level
    Club Saito Member #693

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I enjoy going to swap meets, if for nothing else, just to look around.. I have gotten some very good deals at swap meets, and other times have not bought anything.. I enjoy going just to see what treasure I might find..

I also think that If you have a price on an item, it is usually natural to see if the buyer can talk the seller down a bit more.. you, as the seller, can always say no, give a counter offer, or stand firm on your original price.. don't get mad or upset if someone tries to talk you down more, just politely accept or decline the offer.. However, if the Potential Buyer is being a jerk about it, then I guess I would be a jerk about it right back..

Although I was kinda amused about the one guy taking the hammer to his Rx's..

Craig.
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #10
    Revver Bro #263
    Tiger Club #26

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I also enjoyed reading about the guy who smashed the Rx's. I have been doing swap meets for many years. A few years ago, I went to a swap meet in Roanoke, VA and bought 10 planes. I live in Wash. DC. I have been to meets in NY and PA. I may have flown a few of them but sold most of them for a lost of course. I now have so many planes that I cannot fly them all in my lifetime. This damn hobby has now gotten out of hand. I thought that I would be flying more and crashing a lot and I could reach out and pull another plane off of the shelf. But I am not flying much now but am still buying more planes. I don't think that I am a hoarder because I heard that if you can still see the floor, you are not a hoarder.
    I have a three-car garage that is filled with planes in the attic. I also have two other attics that contain a bunch of planes. All of these planes were bought at swap meets or on line. I have a very small table at the Lebanon Swap Meet that cannot hold any large planes. When I go there, I hope to sell some planes but I havta come away with at least one new one. I think that I may need some kind of help.
    Jasman

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Business idea.... maybe open up a mental health clinic next door to the Lebanon & Hamburg shows !
    Brian Ray

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: kurt2022

I had couple old pcm 72mhz recievers that I was trying to get $5 each that I probably paid $80-$100 for a few years back. I had a guy interested in them, but kept trying to jew me down more on them, he made me so mad I took a hammer to them in front of him and the look on this guy's face when I did that was priceless and well worth more than losing $10!

Hmm power panels too or Power Panels the Movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1k4g...8&feature=plcp

John
    \"Keep your controllines tight\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

R/C modelers are natoursly "O'l Cheap Farts" ... What more explination do U need. Proof is just listen to any conversation at the field when someoe brings out something new .... it usally goes like this. "OH I got it on line at (insert Your Favoret sit here) and I got it for "X" amount including taxes. You now how much the Hobby Shop Wanted $5 more on a $295 plane. I went to the hobby shope to check it out first to see if it's wha I waned. OH dd you here the Hbby Shop isgoing out of buessiness. Wher we gona get out fuel and small stuff?
    Remember ... Every one of these Things we fly Comes with a Number, When the R/C Gods call that Number, it's going in a Garbage Bag, No Sniveling Allowed.
    P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood #24 & #43

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

I had couple old pcm 72mhz recievers that I was trying to get $5 each that I probably paid $80-$100 for a few years back. I had a guy interested in them, but kept trying to jew me down more on them, he made me so mad I took a hammer to them in front of him and the look on this guy's face when I did that was priceless and well worth more than losing $10!

John

Mental note:

a) Take hammer to swap meet
    b) Get reinforced table where you can actually bang on something with a hammer. Not the regular folding tables that would break
    c) Take a couple of receivers to smash
    d) Also some pumpkins if available

Gerry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: flyinwalenda

Business idea.... maybe open up a mental health clinic next door to the Lebanon & Hamburg shows !

What! Why? If we do not allow nutcases, the place will be empty. No sellers, no buyers....

Gerry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ever watch the TV show called "Pawn Shop" this is what I see as a buyer. The seller of course sees' just the opposite. I have purchased both new and used items but I never payed what the seller was asking.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: GerKonig

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

John

Mental note:

a) Take hammer to swap meet
    b) Get reinforced table where you can actually bang on something with a hammer. Not the regular folding tables that would break
    c) Take a couple of receivers to smash
    d) Also some pumpkins if available

Gerry

\"Keep your controllines tight\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

"To my mind the true gold to be found in swap meets is in the name of the event- swapping. An artful trader can improve his collection substantially without spending any money at all. Sellers who would turn their nose up at say a $200 offer on a nice plane will often trade your for an item that's only worth $150."

Tradin at the Swap Meets is what it's all about! SOmetimes you get a deal, sometimes a lemon. I always take a few planes & stuff to sell, but rarely if ever, sell outright; most of it is tradin! Some meets have more "traders" than others. Just depends on location & time of year. $0.50 on the dollar either give or take is my rule. Afterall, it's used.
    I like to buy truly well built classics, I marvel at the "Old Masters" craftmanship / workmanship & ingenuity.

BUt the hobby is changing. Seems like electrics are taking over. BUT, I still like to go!! Never know when you'll find a deal!

Best Regards
    Ed

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Saturday the 4th of Nov our club had an auction where the club get's 10? of the selling price paid by the seller. This one guy (whom shall remain nameless) was asked by this 14 year old kid, the day before. what he wanted for his 60 size Spit Fire with a 90 4 stroke in it. He replied he'ed take $175. Well the young man called his parents and asked if he could buy the plane and would they bring his money. So about an hour later he had the money and tried to get the plane and the O'ld guy said OH that was an immedite thing it's now an hour later and I want $200. well th young man walked away all dejected. Long storry short the HIGH bid on the SPIT was $100, noware near the reserve, but was asked if he would let the plane go for the $100. No he said but make it $125 and it's yours.... if he had lived up to his word the day before he would have realized another $50 more ... Too bad.

Remember ... Every one of these Things we fly Comes with a Number, When the R/C Gods call that Number, it's going in a Garbage Bag, No Sniveling Allowed.
    P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood #24 & #43

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast