Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Swap meets

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Swap meets

Whats up with swap meets? Took alot of stuff today to a swap meet and you would have to hold a pistol on someone to get them to buy something.I had nice planes 1.20 size and up and you could not give them away.40 size and small electric was most of what was sold and that was not much.Either people are scared of big planes or just broke.I priced some at 30 cents on the dollar and it's just pityfull,if I am going to a swap meet or auction airplanes or motorcycles I am taking money if I see a good buy if I don't have the money why go.I don't know if it's the economy or the hobby is just going down.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Swap meets

Election, economic stability, joblessness, etc. Usually you have to give the stuff away. I stopped going to swap meets long ago. Sad but true.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Swap meets used to be fun. If you are a seller, it's hard to get anything for what you're selling. Everyone wants you to give it away.

I've seen guys have an item marked down to next to free status, and a potential buyer will still try to beg it down lower. I figure if the guy really wants it, he'll pay the asking price. If he doesn't want to pay the asking price, he can move along.

Frank
    AMA #5810
    CPA # 73
    Contest Director
    AMA Introductory Flight Instructor

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I know what you mean. That last one I was at, I sold some stuff at 10 cents on the dollar so I didn't have to take it home. I think HK and the Chinese are driving all the prices down, including swap shows.
    Takeoffs are optional, landings are mandatory
    Sig Brotherhood #131

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well you look at the market places and see all the older equipement being sold. The market right now is being flooded with estate sales a lot of the older modelers are passing away to the great hanger in the sky and can't take their hobby with them. This is taking a toll on what is for sale at swap meets and cheep well anyway inexpensive junk on the market does not help. Yes there is a thread here about RC people being the cheepest in the hobby. OH well the trash collector comes around twice a week with thier compactor compost machine
    Larry K
    Sig Brotherhood # 1 Sig Kadet Brotherhood # 4 WACO Brotherhood #34 Cub Brotherhood 14

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Even the established meets I frequent run hot and cold. Some years things are selling like mad, other years not so much. I've seen beautiful planes priced right sitting there all day while other years they don't even make it onto the table before they are sold.
    The events have to be ran right too. You can't throw an event together and expect it to be successful.

Brian Ray

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree with Larry, not just estates but the market is flooded with newer product too. A big % of Hobbyists are just buying new ARFs. Very few guys in the 2 clubs I'm in that don't have stuff they'd like to sell.

Also we have a catch 22 now a days. Guys Including me, are more reluctant to buy a Used ARF than kit built plane because of quality and durability issues, And don't want built planes because of weight and older less aerobatic designs. So we choose to buy new or from someone we really trust, not a stranger at a meet or even online.

So as a result, you pretty much have to give it away to sell,, if you get $.50 on the Dollar for excellent condition items you're lucky
    You're so smart,, you figured out how to read this!! Or maybe ya just got lucky??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had couple old pcm 72mhz recievers that I was trying to get $5 each that I probably paid $80-$100 for a few years back. I had a guy interested in them, but kept trying to jew me down more on them, he made me so mad I took a hammer to them in front of him and the look on this guy's face when I did that was priceless and well worth more than losing $10!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bob Dively Christen Eagle whats it worth as is I forgot to add, this plane is in the ARF stage pull pull installed "NEW" NO graphics[:@] Auto paint, SIG covering on wings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ay74506.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	144.4 KB 
ID:	1817512  
    Larry K
    Sig Brotherhood # 1 Sig Kadet Brotherhood # 4 WACO Brotherhood #34 Cub Brotherhood 14

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What quite a few RC'er don't understand is that there are two kinds of buyers in this hobby. The ones who don't mind spending money but want things their way go to the hobby shops and buy new stuff. They may occasionally buy a really nice used plane and pay a fair price for it, but it has to be exactly what they want. Those guys rarely frequent the swap meets and RCU classifieds because nearly everything there is going to have a scratch on it or need a little work to get flying. The other kind of buyer is the bargain hunter who doesn't mind a bump here or there or will buy a red plane when he really wanted a yellow one. But he's got the mind of a vulture, and isn't even interested in something priced reasonably. I'm admittedly more of the vulture type myself. I'll buy whole lots of stuff from people for pennies on the dollar and fix it up to enjoy. But put a beautiful RTF in front of me priced at say 2/3 of retail and I yawn. If you want top dollar, you have to sell where the top dollar buyers are, which means putting pristine airplanes in the consignment area at the LHS.
    No kid, I said break ground and fly into the wind!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I went to a swap meet yesterday  in Nasville Tn and found alot of good planes that I did want to get but with only $300 in my pocket I could not afford what some of the asking prices were. I did happen up on a Goldberg Falcon 56 kit that was I interested in, when I inquired about the price the guy wanted $200 for it I wolud have  gone as high as $150 for it. he said it was a "collectors item". It just was overpriced for a kit that I would have built and flown not become a "hangar queen" so I passed up on it as he seemed aggrivated that I was asking about it. It was not a total wasted trip as I picked up an electric B-25 for $90 that day and the seller was quite helpful as he powered up the plane to show that everything worked on the plane.
    Takeoffs are optional but landings are manditory!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i got to swap meets to sell and buy> if i see aplane i want i dont cut the guy down i dont mind repairing them> that to me is a lot of fun>> but i do sell what i thik the plane is worth> other wise it goes home with me till the next swap meet> i likethe swap meets>if i say a price that will be furm> i dont haggle> but there are a lot of cheap buyers out there and they dont get my thingsive been flying for 50 yrs now iam not dumb at this

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

if you try to sell a plane for 50.00 and it is in good shape it might cost 200.00 at tower> so let him go to tower thats what i tell them

Went to a large swap meet in Winston Salem, NC yesterday and saw the exact same thing. Lot of sellers, but a lot fewer buyers. From what I could see, buyers were mostly tire kicking, not seriously interested in much of anything. Small electric planes (foamies) and airplane accessories (chargers, hardware, fuel tanks, etc..) were the only things moving. Glow and gas planes or engines got very little attention. Unassembled kits got no traction, even RTF glow or gas planes barely got a glance-unless they were really cheap (like, less than $50). Not sure swap meets are worth the effort for sellers right now.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I aways know the new price when I am looking for something. If its in decent shape I will pay what they want because I know at most swap meetsI am getting a good deal anyway!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I took a 6X14 foot trailer loaded with arf kits , RTF 1/3 scale planes some .60 size stuff. It was the same down here in Texas, lot's of sellers very few buyers. I got lucky at the last minute and sold 1 kit , one RTF P-51 and a 1/3 balsa USA Sopwith. I had one clown look at a new in box 30cc size Sukhoi, I told him $250.00 He offered $ 50.00 I told him where to place his lips! You never Know about swap meets, one year I will sell most all my stuff , go back the next year and not sell anything. I usually make about 6 meets a year, some years are great, some suck.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I don't know about swap meets but I see stuff sell on ebay for much more than you can get for new. For example I was bidding on a Sig Aqua-Star kit. the bidding got up to $75.00. I decided to look to see if you could get it new and how much it cost. I found that you can get it new from Sig for $47.00. Needless to say, I stopped bidding, and bought it new from Sig. I have since seen this kit sell for $75.00 or more on ebay. This is not the only plane that I have seen this happen with on Ebay. Seems like Ebay is the way to go if you want to make some money selling your kits and planes.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm not loading my stuff up and then loading it back up any more not worth it....................I will go to Perry once a year and that's it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have recently come back to the hobby and went to a swap meet. What i found was alot, and I mean alot of junk. And most people wanted $20 less than new. Well sorry but I would rather pay the extra $20 and get a new one with a warranty. What surprised me was the auction after when you could get large planes ready to fly for $50 - $100. The only thing I could think of is a family estate and no one knew what Grampa joe's planes are worth.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've never gone to a swap meet but reading through this thread, I may start. I'm always looking for the next kit to build and would pay near list price if it were complete.
    Glow Head #6, UltraSport #70

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What people tend to forget is that most RC pilots are cheap. While a kit or an arf may be worth what is being asked for it, we all know that it is still only a box of wood. I don't know that I would ever buy a kit for more than $125 unless it were 1/4 scale or larger.
    What I see is alot of kit collectors buying kits as an investment and wanting to sell for more than they paid. As for arf's, well once you leave the hobby shop and assemble it, it is just like a new car that is worth $10,000 less the day after you buy it. Even if it has never been flown you still don't know how well it was assembled.

Just my opinion.
    KaP2011
    AMA #408493
    SPA #521
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #110
    Spitfire Brotherhood # 193

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i usually buy a lot of things at swap meets to resell on ebay, but i quit doing that because people nowadays are just not parting with their money. if you have older discontinued kits that are hard to find, they go for outrageous money sometimes. I saw an older top flite zero (red box) with a 395.00 bid on it so far and there was still 3 days left to go, and i saw a sig kobra kit going for 115.00, you can get the kobra at the lhs for around 70.00 new. glow engines are on their way out because of electrics and gas engines and don't sell well at all anymore.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi
    I have ran the Tucson Indoor Rc Swap Meet now going on our 4th year< and like a lot of you posted most stuff has to be really cheap to sell.

I know one thing for sure the condition of the item your looking at, the sellers attitude and the price new all come into play big time. We kust had an event saturday Nov 3rd and it was pretty well attended and lots andlots of rc things for sale. ( cars, boats, helis and planes are all welcome ) I saw lots of planes and accessories change hands and I know some were sold for decent money< some were sold cheap for what ever reason.

My take on Swap Meets is this, I go for the comraderie, the chance I might see something I cant live without and a chance to maybe make a couple of bucks, I dont always sell my stuff but ALWAYS ALWAYS leave with a mile and having had a great time.

So to all you who I say this, " Go, Enjoy, Meet People and hopefully get a new Toy"

Keep EM Flying!!!!!!!!!!!

Ed
    Tucson Indoor Radio Control Swap Meet

If your in the area this coming March look us up on craigslist.com under toys and games . I always post event notices there. You can also send me am email and I will add you to my ever growing list of email recipients for our events.

ourtime61@gmail.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Had never attended a swap meet until last March. It was in Perry Georgia. Plenty of stuff, plenty buying, selling and loads of good folks. Good Folks is the reason I may go back. It was fun and the last time I checked. Fun is what this is suppose to be about.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm not at all suprised at these comments. I've found that items over $300, regardless of what it is, don't sell very fast at a swap meet. At yesterdays swap meet in Winston Salem NC, there were 2 30% planes, both with DA 50's, and high $ servo's that probably went for less than $600 ea. These were giveaway prices, but they didn't go quickly. As mentioned above, more sellers than actual buyers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast