Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Horizon Hobby and PayPal

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 02:52 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horizon Hobby and PayPal

I just ran into an interesting situation. I discovered that Horiaon Hobby and PayPal do not play well together. I was attempting to order a small order via internet using a gift card and paying with PayPal. When I got to the screen where it asked for the gift card number, it accepted the gift card number and then reduced the total by that amount. But when I got to the check out screen, it was back to the original total. I closed down the site and started over and the same thing happened. So I called HH to ask what I was doing wrong. After a lengthy conversation with a very nice representative named Glenn, I happened to mention that I was using PayPal to pay for the order. That changed everything. He assumed I was using a credit card to pay, and profusely apologized and flat out said that HH and PayPal had not worked out a system where any deviation from an order total could be changed. If I had not used a gift card as partial payment, it would have been OK, but PayPal and HH have not worked out any working agreement where a gift card can be used. What we had to do is to cancel the PayPal order and use a credit card in order to use the gift card. Now I have to wait and see if, in fact, the amount does or does not show up in my PayPal account as it has been charged to a Visa credit card. Baffling as hell.

But it is not all bad. Glenn was extremely apoligetic and not only waived the shipping charges, he gave me what amounted to about a 20% discount on the parts. I ended up getting $77.82 worth of parts for $37.92 shipped. So this is great so long as the $77.92 does not show up in my PayPal account. We shall see.

Again, I will say that Glenn was extremely helpful and I believe he would have given me the order free of charge if he could have. He had an really good attitude about it, and I suspect that this attitude comes right from the top level of management at HH. I suspect that HH trains their guys to make the customer happy.

Anyone wish to try something like this with Hobby King?
Old 11-17-2012, 05:45 AM
Bill G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Horizon Hobby and PayPal

ORIGINAL: JollyPopper

I just ran into an interesting situation. I discovered that Horizon Hobby and PayPal do not play well together. I was attempting to order a small order via internet using a gift card and paying with PayPal. When I got to the screen where it asked for the gift card number, it accepted the gift card number and then reduced the total by that amount. But when I got to the check out screen, it was back to the original total. I closed down the site and started over and the same thing happened. So I called HH to ask what I was doing wrong. After a lengthy conversation with a very nice representative named Glenn, I happened to mention that I was using PayPal to pay for the order. That changed everything. He assumed I was using a credit card to pay, and profusely apologized and flat out said that HH and PayPal had not worked out a system where any deviation from an order total could be changed. If I had not used a gift card as partial payment, it would have been OK, but PayPal and HH have not worked out any working agreement where a gift card can be used. What we had to do is to cancel the PayPal order and use a credit card in order to use the gift card. Now I have to wait and see if, in fact, the amount does or does not show up in my PayPal account as it has been charged to a Visa credit card. Baffling as hell.

But it is not all bad. Glenn was extremely apologetic and not only waived the shipping charges, he gave me what amounted to about a 20% discount on the parts. I ended up getting $77.82 worth of parts for $37.92 shipped. So this is great so long as the $77.92 does not show up in my PayPal account. We shall see.

Again, I will say that Glenn was extremely helpful and I believe he would have given me the order free of charge if he could have. He had an really good attitude about it, and I suspect that this attitude comes right from the top level of management at HH. I suspect that HH trains their guys to make the customer happy.

Anyone wish to try something like this with Hobby King?
I would retitle the thread to "Paypal is setup their way only and gift cards don't work". Horizon has no reason to "play" with paypal. They are a reputable company, and shouldn't have to deal with paypal whatsoever. Paypal wants to monopolize, and the last thing a large, decent company like Horizon should do, is to go along with it.

On the last suggestion, the answer is no. This is a gift card scenario with HK reported here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...11&postcount=1
Old 11-17-2012, 10:08 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Horizon Hobby and PayPal

Your thread title is fine IMO, However Horizonshould post info on their web site stateing they have a problem with Paypal so the cust will be aware of what they may be
in for if they use Paypal.