Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Flying Models Mag

Is Flying Models in trouble? The last issue I received was September. I just renewed for 2 years so I hope all is OK.

Paul
    Gosh, model airplanes are not a matter of life and death - they are more important than that!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Flying Models Mag

I was wondering the same thing. I was going to renew my subscription but now I will wait to see what happens.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a friend who writes for Flying Models. From what he has indicated to me I'm not very confident that the magazine will be around too much longer. 

Ken
    The take off is optional, but the landing is MANDATORY!!
    RCU Forum Manager
    www.gettingairborne.com
    RCKen Publications
    Brotherhood's
    Ultra Sport Brother #1
    Sig Brotherhood #4
    Balsa USA #4

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just got my Oct. issue today. Hope this is a good thing.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's sad that magazines in general have been fading away since the internet. I've had some thoughts for what FM could do to possibly keep the magazine as interesting as possible, but the reader base is probably dwindling with fewer builders. That said however, I would say they should stick to being a top notch builders magazine and feature articles that are as interesting as possible. There's no point in trying to compete with the ARF mags. Features like Scale Mastercraft that Flying Scale mag had featured would be a good example.

ORIGINAL: madmaxx11

I just got my Oct. issue today. Hope this is a good thing.
    Sent the Avro's in for a Barnstormer's submission. Maybe I'll see it in there soon.
    edit: Just got my Nov issue today, Nov 19.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ay75728.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	1820096  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would subscribe to a builds magazine. I didnt know there was one. I love and would much rather build. Maybe I call them and ask.... Flying Models you say...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would subscrobe as well. Can't stand the non builder version mags put out today.
    Robert
    Cub Brotherhood #3\\ Ryan STA Brotherhood #4
    Corsair Brotherhood #56\\ Waco Brotherhood #184

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Ken, find out if enough of us was to suscribe (builders mag) would they stay. Maybe put up a poll on here for membership possibilities.
    Robert
    Cub Brotherhood #3\\ Ryan STA Brotherhood #4
    Corsair Brotherhood #56\\ Waco Brotherhood #184

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: acerc

Hey Ken, find out if enough of us was to suscribe (builders mag) would they stay. Maybe put up a poll on here for membership possibilities.
    Honestly I'm not sure if that would help. From what I've seen I would pretty much say that we're going to see the end of that magazine sooner rather than later.

Ken

RCU Forum Manager
    www.gettingairborne.com
    RCKen Publications
    Brotherhood's
    Ultra Sport Brother #1
    Sig Brotherhood #4
    Balsa USA #4

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

First it was RCM then RC Report, what next? I think that in order for them to keep their doors open they have do do what Model Airplane News has done and simply become a catalog for what sells.

I used to write for RC Report when Gordon had the enterprise and the handwriting was on the wall for quite some time before he sold his interest to Tony. If you guys want to see a building magazine continue to be viable, then you had all best pony up for a subscription and then hope like Hell that the advertisers will do the same. It is expensive to publish a periodical and even more so when things are that time sensitive. The kids and those who only want to fly the ARF's won't be subscribing to a builders mag, so it would be up to all who do want to build and fly. In other words, it ain't gonna happen.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
    Its easy, just glue all the pieces together, and sand off everything that doesnt look like an airplane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Honestly I'm not sure if that would help. From what I've seen I would pretty much say that we're going to see the end of that magazine sooner rather than later.*

Ken

Ken, is it the entire Carsten's company, or just FM that's failing?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There is nothing like having a good magazine to read. Reading off the internet just isn't the same. I read my mags cover to cover, and then read them over again wth anticipation of the next issue to arrive.

I would really hate to see Flying Models go the way of RCM.

Frank
    AMA #5810
    CPA # 73
    Contest Director
    AMA Introductory Flight Instructor
    Club Safety Officer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Everyone;

Greetings from the ever warm 'Valley of the Sun'.

I too just received my October issue of Flying Models, which I have always thought was just about the bestest model mag available. I have been in the hobby over 60 years now and have flown FF and Cl as a youngster growing up in rural Canada, and got into RC back in '69. FM always has a good, well balanced diet of articles each month to appeal to all of us interested in model airplanes, whatever your interest or discipline. I am happy to say that I have been a constant subscriber to FM since the late 50s to date and have almost every issue from about 1955 to date. What a library of designs to research, I just love delving into these old mags, simply a wealth of knowlege therein. I have read of FMs demise several times over the years, but they just keep on a'publishing a real great magazine; and if the did stop publishing, well, I guess I will just have to be happy in re-reading my 700 or so old and carefully maintained library of old issues. I also have every issue published of Model Builder, RCM, AAM/AM/MA, and MAN from 1960>2000; I stopped purchasing MAN since because they simply became an ARF catalogue so to speak.

Anyways, I have loved and enjoyed Flying Models Magazine for almost 60 years now, wish to them every success in the future and hope that they never stop publishing their fine magazine, 'nuff said, best regards from Glendale, Arizona,

Joe Nagy.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Hemikiller

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Honestly I'm not sure if that would help. From what I've seen I would pretty much say that we're going to see the end of that magazine sooner rather than later.

Ken

Ken, is it the entire Carsten's company, or just FM that's failing?

I don't know about all of the company, only what I've heard about Flying Models. Unfortunately I can't say most of what I know about it because the person I got from has asked that I not spread around the information. If they are still here a year from now I will be absolutely amazed. Heck, six months would be an accomplisment!!!

Ken

RCU Forum Manager
    www.gettingairborne.com
    RCKen Publications
    Brotherhood's
    Ultra Sport Brother #1
    Sig Brotherhood #4
    Balsa USA #4

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just received my October issue of FM yesterday 14 Nov. 2012.
    I also miss the good magazines of yesterday, one of my favourites was "Model Builder" here in the USA. The older version of the British Mag "RC Models and Electronics" is also quite good but to expensive for me here in the States. Yes the old RCM and RC Report were very good too.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You guys are states away and now have your copies, so it better come today if it's going to get here.

Since some have commented on the "builders" topic, one thing that I think would help a number of magazines, is to have more contributors. Mags tend to be a bit clique like, in that the same people tend to contribute. I understand there are valid reasons for this, as you need dedicated people, as well as people that will meet a certain level in the quality of their content. I also believe that there are a number of people who would create detailed articles with some of the most interesting subjects and content, if they thought it may actually be accepted and published. There's far too much new and interesting material out there, to replay the same thing, or simply feature a less than interesting/useful article. I won't be specific and offend any contributors and their works, but I have seen a number of articles that are yet another example of the same thing fro the same person. It may have been interesting the first time, but after the 3rd or 4th, you would rather see something new and interesting, as the pages are limited. As well as being interesting, the topics have to include subjects and material that people will actually want to build and find useful. For example, it may be really cool, but if it costs 1 million dollars then none of us will ever be able to have one or build one for ourselves.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've been having a rough time finding MAN on the shelves of late....only one bookstore carries it - you guys notice that also?
    # 93 in Club Saito; Carl Goldberg Ultimate Brotherhood # 12; Pulse brother # 2;Hellcat Brotherhood #8;P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood #18