Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Club membership cards

Hey guys,

I am membership chair of a club, and I make up simple membership cards each year. I have been using US flag cardstock that has 10 cards per sheet, perforated at the edges of each card, each card being 2"x3.5". I just print the member and club info on each card. I want to keep using this approach but have used the same US flag cardstock a number of years. Just to be different, I want some cardstock that has some other design on it, preferable an aviation theme. I have looked high and low on the internet and have not found anything else already preprinted except for the US flag. Surely there must be other cardstock with preprinted background already on it. I don't want to print background too on plain white stock because that will eat up ink pretty fast. I guess I could do it, but I currently just donate my ink. Maybe it is not a big deal for just 60 members. Thanks for any suggestions on where to find said cardstock. Jon
    Carl Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 Brotherhood #01
    Club Saito #707
    P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood #97

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Club membership cards

Stick with the flag stock. Why change?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

60 cards wouldn't eat up THAT much ink if you kept the design simple.
    Membership cards are kinda cool though. Our club hasn't done it in a few years. We had the gate lock combination on the back of ours.
    A guy who used to live on this site and now is rarely here due to the "upgrade".
    Most likely fading away till the My Forums is fixed. Too bad.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My two cents.

Go to Airliners.net and find a photo you like.

http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...ch=true&page=2

Make sure what ever you print on them will be readable over the image. In the windows based "word" software you can set an image as a background in lighter settings so that it's sort of a ghost image.

Arrange multiple copies of the image on a word file with dimentions that fit your old card stock format. Save that as your new template.

Now either print ONE copy out of your machine or email that file to the local fedex/kinko's and have them print a dozen or so blank copies as if it were your cardstoc. Have the club reemburse you for the printing.

Take the card stock home and print out the cards as normal
    Spitfire Brotherhood #6
    Kadet LT 40 Brotherhood #98

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi, I am club sec for our club and like you I made up cards and printed them for our club. I now order custom made business cards from 123print online and get 100 for $15 including shipping. You can design your own logos, last years card featured an American flag so I know you could add your flag logo to the card design. Quality is much better and I get a glossy finish. Try them, I think you will like the results.
    Larry
    Sec/Trea
    Sky Corral R/C Club
    Pueblo, Co

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Major, that's another cool way to skin the cat!

larry, does that mean you have the member's name printed on each card too, thus needing to know your full membership list for the year when you send it to 123print? Or are you basically getting cards made up with all info, EXCEPT the name that you add on at home? This would mean 123 print sends perforated sheets back to you for use on your home printer?

Thanks all for the ideas so far! Jon
    Club Saito #707

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I don't think you could get each members name printed on the card, it would be too expensive. You can leave a blank spot to put each name in by hand which I have done. You can also have printing on the back of the card.
    The cards come complete, 100 to a box, ready to hand out. Here is a PDF of our card for this year.
    Larry
    Attached Files Attached Files

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you're using an ink jet printer, you probably would come out cheaper paying Office Depot or Kinkos to print your cards for you. As I recall from the last big job I took there, it's 23 cents a page for full color printing on 8 1/2 x 11 paper. So a nice round figure for both sides is in the neighborhood of 50 cents a page, maybe a little more for card stock. I would expect they could do it on the perforated business card stock if you ask, or it's a simple enough task to use their paper cutter if not.
    No kid, I said break ground and fly into the wind!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would probably say finding a background pic, and formatting it the way you want would be very econimical. Using white pre-perfed biz card stock, and thier template, Avery comes to mind, and youre I'm sure aware of where/how to lay these out, as youve done it for a long time.

For 60 members.. you're only printing 6 sheets of 8.5"x11" paper. Thats really just a small small amount of ink... even with a full coverage image. I did a job on my home printer a short time ago that was 150 sheets of 8.5x11, with full coverage/bleeds/2 sides, and it only took 2 sets of cartridges.. so thats average of 150 sheets per set of cartridges.. again, thats full color, full coverage.

This is with a smallish Canon printer I got at Walmart for about $30.. best printer I've ever owned and very economical. I paid way less for the printer, stock, and ink then it would have cost me to have the job output at Kinkos... and it came out fantastically pro. I say this from experience, as I've been in the printing industry for 30yrs, and technology nowadays is amazing.. and scary, as in some ways.. the components/machinery has taken my place.. therefore I've also had to adapt... which is a good thing.. change isn't a bad thing if we can stay up with it.

I would say bottom line... don't worry about how much ink you're using.. it won't be bad at all... much cheaper then ordering, and you will end up with something custom and probably something that is way more affordable then you think. Good luck to you.. I also like the idea of club membership cards.. at this point.. our club membership officer simply stamps our club logo on our AMA card.. which signifies we're paid members.. the club card is cool though.. Good luck to you.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

DGrant, That is exactly the route I went with. I will likely print more than 6 sheets by the end of 2013 simply because I make mistakes, lol. One thing that happens frequently after the first glut of perhaps 30 renewals, is that the renewals then dribble in during the first 6 months of the year. I end up printing a few cards at a time, sometimes just one or two. My Brother printer only allows me to feed it as little as a sheet consisting of the top three rows of cards, total of six cards. Less than that will not feed. Any way, in other words, I often am not able to print ten cards at a time, to make full use of every sheet of card stock. I work it out to waste as little as possible. I won't hold on to batch them out monthly because it's just not my approach to "customer" service. I might hold up processing for a week, but not much longer. Just for ending the story, here is what the final card looks like: oops I am on my wife's computer, so I will add the pic later from my own hard drive, after my guests leave the bedroom where my pc is located. Here's the pic of the card (I will center the bottom line on other cards) :

BIG thanks to all of you who responded with your great ideas! AND FEEL FREE to post up pics of your membership cards here...that will give us all ideas for future use. Jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pn37386.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	1823302  
    Club Saito #707

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good info.. Just another FYI maybe.. You can use a different stock to set-up on too(cheap,generic).. if you want to see how it looks, or adjust position.. only use the good perf-stock when you've got it dialed in. You might also think about simply printing out a box of "masters" with your logo/image on them in full color. Then its a simple matter of imprinting specific info(IE name, AMA#, etc.) on a small batch/order.. being it sounds like generally only one card per member. Your box of "masters" would be good indefinately unless you changed logos/images. I think they come in either 50 or 100 sheets don't they?.. anyway.. just ideas here.. Id love to see your card when you get a chance.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A few years ago my computer came with the Microsoft Office and it had Publisher in it. I use Publisher a lot for club fliers, membership cards, signs... it's a very easy program to work with. With it I make up my clubs membership cards, and I get 12 cards per 8.5 X 11 card stock. Each year I just change the year and the airplane profile and we have new cards. I write member names on the line provided so the cards are available immediately. Ink usage is no more than any other type of page I would be printing, maybe less (no background printing). I like the idea of just stamping your logo on your AMA card. That makes it easy.

A number of years ago I bought a paper cutter to chop up the cards which makes things go smoother.
    [link]http://www.harborfreight.com/18-inch-x-15-inch-paper-cutter-90874.html[/link] Wait for it to go on sale or you have a coupon or something.
    72 MHz Forever...............or at least until I buy a new radio.

My club: www.deepriver.jimdo.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

DGrant, actually I do print the cards in two layers. I do the master as you call it first...it is full sheets of the 10 cards per sheet, with the background printed on each. Then I print the words in the next layer, as I receive membership applications and payments. I can do the masters all at once, but it is the individual cards with each member's name on it that dribbles in after the first bunch of renewals at the beginning of the year. Jon
    Club Saito #707