The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

R/C Airplanes are not toys...

Reply
Old 11-29-2012, 03:40 AM
  #251
CGRetired
Moderator
 
CGRetired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Galloway, NJ
Posts: 8,999
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: R/C Airplanes are not toys...

I don't think this has any more benefit in this forum so I am moving it to the Clubhouse forum. If you guys want to squabble over sandboxes and full scale Pitts, well, you can do it over there. In fact, I have no idea why it's in a beginners forum. There is not one post that has any benefit to a beginner in RC Flight.

CGr
Moderator.
CGRetired is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:44 AM
  #252
Luchnia
 
Luchnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Amelia, VA
Posts: 2,075
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: R/C Airplanes are not toys...


Quote:
ORIGINAL: warbird addict

WOW I've never been so humbled by anybody's self importance in my entire life, I think I speak for the entire rest of the flying community when I say we should all bow and kiss your afterburner , You're awsome in your own mind and we should all take a lesson from you. ''over backwards in my chair LMFAO''
OH Yeh Whistling turbine sounds in the background too LOL
Absolutely priceless!
Luchnia is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:49 AM
  #253
sensei
 
sensei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SAN ANTONIO, TX
Posts: 2,630
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: R/C Airplanes are not toys...


Quote:
ORIGINAL: CGRetired

I don't think this has any more benefit in this forum so I am moving it to the Clubhouse forum. If you guys want to squabble over sandboxes and full scale Pitts, well, you can do it over there. In fact, I have no idea why it's in a beginners forum. There is not one post that has any benefit to a beginner in RC Flight.

CGr
Moderator.
I did not realize this thread had any benefit to the hobby at all...

Bob
sensei is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:55 AM
  #254
DGUY
 
DGUY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Meansville, Ga
Posts: 287
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: R/C Airplanes are not toys...

This is my one and only post here on this......What does it matter??????????? Long as you have fun!!!!!
DGUY is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:58 AM
  #255
scale only 4 me
 
scale only 4 me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Avon Lake, OH
Posts: 9,559
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: R/C Airplanes are not toys...


Quote:
ORIGINAL: CGRetired

I don't think this has any more benefit in this forum so I am moving it to the Clubhouse forum. If you guys want to squabble over sandboxes and full scale Pitts, well, you can do it over there. In fact, I have no idea why it's in a beginners forum. There is not one post that has any benefit to a beginner in RC Flight.

CGr
Moderator.
Classic,, pawn it off on Ken to deal with,,, LOL

After reading one page, I can tell you the thread doesn't benifit us experianced guys either
scale only 4 me is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:53 AM
  #256
Luchnia
 
Luchnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Amelia, VA
Posts: 2,075
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: R/C Airplanes are not toys...


Quote:
ORIGINAL: sensei


I did not realize this thread had any benefit to the hobby at all...

Bob
Cannot entertainment be a benefit to our glorious hobby? I do agree, maybe not the best for the beginner forum [8D]
Luchnia is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:57 AM
  #257
scale only 4 me
 
scale only 4 me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Avon Lake, OH
Posts: 9,559
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: R/C Airplanes are not toys...

All I know is all I know,, I think,, could be wrong, probably not
scale only 4 me is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:18 PM
  #258
Rv7garage
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: MUNDELEIN, IL
Posts: 1,736
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: R/C Airplanes are not toys...

You guys got it all wrong- this thread is a clear window into the R/C airplane hobby. Anybody been to a flying field lately?? Bunch of old men arguing about nothing, somehow protective of and embarrassed by their toys at the same time. Except here it's worse, 'cause we got a bunch of internet tough-guys. Grumble grumble grumble! 50* out today; I'm gonna go fly a toy airplane... haw
Rv7garage is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:32 PM
  #259
mr_matt
 
mr_matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Oak Park, CA,
Posts: 9,910
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: R/C Airplanes are not toys...

Quote:
ORIGINAL: blhollo2

Am I the only one who has to correct their friends,family and coworkers on the hobby and go on light defense?

I don't because they are right, they are toys.

EDIT you can call your uncle a bicycle, that does not make him one ;-)
mr_matt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:13 PM
  #260
sensei
 
sensei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SAN ANTONIO, TX
Posts: 2,630
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: R/C Airplanes are not toys...


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Rv7garage

You guys got it all wrong- this thread is a clear window into the R/C airplane hobby. Anybody been to a flying field lately?? Bunch of old men arguing about nothing, somehow protective of and embarrassed by their toys at the same time. Except here it's worse, 'cause we got a bunch of internet tough-guys. Grumble grumble grumble! 50* out today; I'm gonna go fly a toy airplane... haw
Now this is very funny.

Bob
sensei is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:44 PM
  #261
dirtybird
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: San Tan Valley, AZ
Posts: 5,768
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: R/C Airplanes are not toys...

I am one of those old men that likes to go to the flying field and argue.
The planes we fly are not toys but they are getting closer every day.
I build my aircraft from plans. Do you?
dirtybird is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:26 PM
  #262
sensei
 
sensei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SAN ANTONIO, TX
Posts: 2,630
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: R/C Airplanes are not toys...


Quote:
ORIGINAL: dirtybird

I am one of those old men that likes to go to the flying field and argue.
The planes we fly are not toys but they are getting closer every day.
I build my aircraft from plans. Do you?
I have but usually I scratch build my toys...

Bob
sensei is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:44 PM
  #263
GallopingGhostler
 
GallopingGhostler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Clovis, NM
Posts: 1,740
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: R/C Airplanes are not toys...


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Rv7garage You guys got it all wrong- this thread is a clear window into the R/C airplane hobby. Anybody been to a flying field lately?? Bunch of old men arguing about nothing, somehow protective of and embarrassed by their toys at the same time. Except here it's worse, 'cause we got a bunch of internet tough-guys. Grumble grumble grumble! 50* out today; I'm gonna go fly a toy airplane... haw
Dag nab it! I'm not grumpy! I'm not protective of the best dang trainer aircraft in the world, the Sterling Minnie Mambo! And I'm not embarrassed by it! Gotcha beat! It's 72 here!
GallopingGhostler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:49 PM
  #264
combatpigg
 
combatpigg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: arlington, WA
Posts: 19,891
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: R/C Airplanes are not toys...

I draw my own plans. and build from scratch. It still doesn't diminish the fact that I'm playing with a bunch of toys in the sand box. I don't see this hobby as some sort of "noble pursuit" that needs to be recognized with somber, dignified reverence and only the highest amount of respect. It's actually a pretty silly pass time when I stop to think about it....which is just fine.
It's the truly "self important" types who can not come to grips with what many of us can see in it's proper perspective.
The one guy who stands out amongst all of the "IT'S NOT A TOY" types that I've ever met and flown with was one of those guys with the official AMA jacket with 200 patches sewn on it commemorating all of his grande acheivements and what not. He always wore those "official" military issue pilots sunglasses..and really was quite the social misfit if any other subject besides model planes was ever being discussed.
combatpigg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:20 PM
  #265
PLANE JIM
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: AT THE AIRPORT
Posts: 1,957
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: R/C Airplanes are not toys...

That's funny-I know that guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PLANE JIM is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:25 PM
  #266
nute12
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Lynden, WA
Posts: 327
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: R/C Airplanes are not toys...

i think most every club has at least one of those guys.
nute12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:40 PM
  #267
az3d
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 152
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: R/C Airplanes are not toys...

Someone should start one of the vote strings. I vote: toys
az3d is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:50 PM
  #268
astrohog
 
astrohog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 1,557
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: R/C Airplanes are not toys...

Anybody who is offended by the use of the term toys for our planes (regardless if it is a scaled-out, $20,000.00 turbine, or a HK knock-off foamy), is wound WAAYY too tight and should think twice about why they are involved in this hobby (or is it a sport?) .

Regards,

Astrohog
astrohog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:31 PM
  #269
GallopingGhostler
 
GallopingGhostler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Clovis, NM
Posts: 1,740
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: R/C Airplanes are not toys...

Who cares what others think? I'm the one with the RC transmitter or U-control handle in my hands. Let's fly and who cares what anyone else thinks! [8D]
GallopingGhostler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:07 PM
  #270
combatpigg
 
combatpigg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: arlington, WA
Posts: 19,891
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: R/C Airplanes are not toys...

GG..if you saw any of my planes you would know that I couldn't possibly care what others think.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33674.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	1825095  
combatpigg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:44 AM
  #271
Rob2160
 
Rob2160's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,786
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: R/C Airplanes are not toys...


Quote:
ORIGINAL: dirtybird

I am one of those old men that likes to go to the flying field and argue.
The planes we fly are not toys but they are getting closer every day.
I build my aircraft from plans. Do you?
No, because I hate building them.. I love flying them...

I am also a full size Jet pilot, but I didn't build the corporate jet I fly either.

This is one of my pet hates in this hobby... and model railroaders are the same.. I love trains.. watching them run, but I have ZEROinterest in building small trees and building structures.

I understand and can respect that SOMEPeople love this side of the hobby, building andthe artistic side of construction, but just because you like it, does not mean every RC pilot has to also..

How many REAL Pilots build their own aircraft.... VERYFEW....

It does not lessen their skills a pilot nor detract from their enjoyment of actually flying (RC or full size)

If you enjoy building from plans that is super. I had to do it 30 years ago when there was no alternative but Ihatedit, but it was a necessary evil if I wanted an RC plane, and I am so happy I can nowbuy a plane ready to fly and spend all my time flying.. ..

Sorry.. I rant . no actual offense intended..

I didn't build my car either.. I just like driving it..
Rob2160 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:48 AM
  #272
GallopingGhostler
 
GallopingGhostler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Clovis, NM
Posts: 1,740
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: R/C Airplanes are not toys...

Quote:
ORIGINAL: combatpigg GG..if you saw any of my planes you would know that I couldn't possibly care what others think.....
That photo, real battle damage!
Seriously, you really put in some good combat flight times to have that much engine exhaust damage the finish. I take it that your streamer was standing more often than not! [:-]
GallopingGhostler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:55 AM
  #273
GallopingGhostler
 
GallopingGhostler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Clovis, NM
Posts: 1,740
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: R/C Airplanes are not toys...

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Rob2160 How many REAL Pilots build their own aircraft.... VERY FEW....
I build my own aircraft, because I enjoy it. It is the artisan in me. Does that mean one needs to build their own aircraft to enjoy the sport? No. There are building competitions, but they are not a requirement, just means that one who does not build doesn't participate in those. So, the main thing is that you are enjoying what you are doing.
GallopingGhostler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:27 AM
  #274
Luchnia
 
Luchnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Amelia, VA
Posts: 2,075
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: R/C Airplanes are not toys...


Quote:
ORIGINAL: GallopingGhostler

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Rob2160 How many REAL Pilots build their own aircraft.... VERY FEW....
I build my own aircraft, because I enjoy it. It is the artisan in me. Does that mean one needs to build their own aircraft to enjoy the sport? No. There are building competitions, but they are not a requirement, just means that one who does not build doesn't participate in those. So, the main thing is that you are enjoying what you are doing.
Nothing like toy plane builders with their little toy glue bottles and little toy toolkits! I have not built one yet, maybe one of these days. I looked at kits and WOW was I surprised at the cost. They were priced way more than I ever expected.

Hottest thread on RCU - goes to show you what entertains us
Luchnia is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:41 AM
  #275
Rob2160
 
Rob2160's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,786
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: R/C Airplanes are not toys...


Quote:
ORIGINAL: GallopingGhostler

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Rob2160 How many REAL Pilots build their own aircraft.... VERYFEW....
I build my own aircraft, because I enjoy it. It is the artisan in me. Does that mean one needs to build their own aircraft to enjoy the sport? No. There are building competitions, but they are not a requirement, just means that one who does not build doesn't participate in those. So, the main thing is that you are enjoying what you are doing.
I totally agree, and this hobby is different things to different people. I had a friend at school who LOVED to build, he even designed his own gliders from scratch and built them beautifully, they were true works of art and something to be admired. I was in absolute awe and respect of his talent, but at the end of the day.. I don't enjoy this part of the hobby, I admire those who can build a superb flying machine from scratch. Enjoy what makes you happy, but please don't discredit those in this hobby who can't build a work of art, and just want to enjoy flying..
Rob2160 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:56 AM.