Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

R/C Airplanes are not toys...

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

R/C Airplanes are not toys...

Old 11-30-2012, 03:42 AM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: R/C Airplanes are not toys...

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

ORIGINAL: GallopingGhostler

ORIGINAL: Rob2160 How many REAL Pilots build their own aircraft.... VERYFEW....
I build my own aircraft, because I enjoy it. It is the artisan in me. Does that mean one needs to build their own aircraft to enjoy the sport? No. There are building competitions, but they are not a requirement, just means that one who does not build doesn't participate in those. So, the main thing is that you are enjoying what you are doing.
Nothing like toy plane builders with their little toy glue bottles and little toy toolkits! I have not built one yet, maybe one of these days. I looked at kits and WOW was I surprised at the cost. They were priced way more than I ever expected.

Hottest thread on RCU - goes to show you what entertains us
Had 40 batteries charged and 3 planes and 2 helis ready for a day of action.. 50Kph winds put an end to that plan today..

So RCU gets a work out..

Old 11-30-2012, 07:13 AM
koastrc

I was telling my younger brother about this toy thing. He give me his take on it. He is a charter boat owner. His boat is his tools. My boat is my toy. He has a Model 19 he likes to shoot from time to time. I have a Model 19 that I am required to shoot twice a year. My Smith is a tool, his is a toy. So I guess all 275 post is just how it is and how we look at it. I almost never agree with Chuck, but I think he is on to something about the guy with the patches.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:17 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, it is just like painting a beautiful landscape that an artist can do so well. If I try that it looks like chicken scratch. I even struggle drawing a decent circle and not sure why I could never do that well. I cannot paint anything exept maybe a wall in my house, but when it comes to something mechanical or with a computer, I can almost look at it and fix it - been doing mechanical stuff all my life and it just fits me.

We are all different and that is what makes it all beautiful to me. With one flavor of ice cream the world would be rather dull.

What is that old saying, "Different strokes for different folks"? Yeah, that is what I am talkin' 'bout!
Old 11-30-2012, 08:06 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

...... My answer to "R/C Airplanes are not toys..."

Well , of COURSE they're toys ! .... After crashing one or two , you don't REALLY think I'd do this as a JOB , do ya ???

Anyone on the "they're not toys" bandwagon is taking their selves just a bit TOO seriously , and thank GOD it's only toy airplanes they are playing with .... Could you imagine the discontent such an ego could create if they were in any position of real authority ? Best they stick to the toys and leave the rest of the world free of their haughtiness
Old 11-30-2012, 08:28 AM
dryverman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW! All these posts already!

Nothin' gets us cranked quicker than the word "TOYS"
Old 11-30-2012, 09:29 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: dryverman

WOW! All these posts already!

Nothin' gets us cranked quicker than the word ''TOYS''

Almost nothing.

Try "Castor oil", for a really good cranking.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:47 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Rob2160

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

I am one of those old men that likes to go to the flying field and argue.
The planes we fly are not toys but they are getting closer every day.
I build my aircraft from plans. Do you?
No, because I hate building them.. I love flying them...

I am also a full size Jet pilot, but I didn't build the corporate jet I fly either.

This is one of my pet hates in this hobby... and model railroaders are the same.. I love trains.. watching them run, but I have ZERO interest in building small trees and building structures.

I understand and can respect that SOME People love this side of the hobby, building and the artistic side of construction, but just because you like it, does not mean every RC pilot has to also..

How many REAL Pilots build their own aircraft.... VERY FEW....

It does not lessen their skills a pilot nor detract from their enjoyment of actually flying (RC or full size)

If you enjoy building from plans that is super. I had to do it 30 years ago when there was no alternative but I hated it, but it was a necessary evil if I wanted an RC plane, and I am so happy I can now buy a plane ready to fly and spend all my time flying.. ..

Sorry.. I rant . no actual offense intended..

I didn't build my car either.. I just like driving it..
There are a lot of people that build their own full scale aircraft. I knew a guy that built his own jet. Unfortunately he crashed and killed himself.
There are also lots of people that build their own cars.
When you are given a jet or car and you only have to operated it, it really is a toy. No matter what the size is.
This hobby used to be you had to build your airplane and get it to fly. It was a work of art to some. They even had a builder of the model rule in the AMA.
Now you buy an aircraft, poor it out of the box, push a few buttons and you are flying. Its a toy.
That doesn't mean you cant enjoy flying it. Just don't try to call it anything but.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:51 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Flog, flog, flog.
Poor dead horse. 12 pages and it's still way up in the list of most active articles.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:57 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

ORIGINAL: rgburrill Poor dead horse.
Think of that ole' dead horse as a toy.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:59 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Can you say TOY BOAT five times out loud as fast as you can?
Old 11-30-2012, 11:17 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

ORIGINAL: sensei Can you say TOY BOAT five times out loud as fast as you can?
Can you say, British Bristol Brushless LiPo Bipe Bomber five times out loud very fast?
Old 11-30-2012, 01:18 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Heck no, I can't say any one of them 5 times without messing up...

Bob
Old 11-30-2012, 04:41 PM
warbird addict

Part of The reason I don't believe in calling anything that posesses the ability to kill you a TOY is becasue it gives the impression to the unaware that any IDIOT can pick this thing up and misuse or handle it improperly, with no fear of injury and thats wrong , it has nothing to do with anybody trying to inflate their own self importance by adding unecessary importance to what they do as a hobby.
Let me give you some background as to why I don't downplay dangerous things by calling them toys.
In dec of 2007 I bought a STOCK Yamaha R-1 and being a longtime sportbike rider and "backroad racer" I went the whole 9 yards on this bike performance wise when I finished the bike it was pushing somewhere around 190 HP 4th gear roll on , I can't remember the Ft Lbs of torque but basicly it would come up on the back wheel all the way up to 3rd gear with a firm twist of the throttle, I kept the bike till 2009 at which point I traded it in for another bike for reasons I can't remember , in any case I get a call from the dealer 2 weeks later telling me a potential buyer wants to talk to me about the bike, no problem , I go down to the dealer and come to find out this guy wants to buy it for his sons 18th birthday and he wants to buy his kid a nice flashy toy for his birthday and he wants a bike "his first bike", toy, toy ,toy kept coming up in conversation and I cautioned him about this potentially NOT being a good first bike for the kid but the old man "wealthy" and driving a Z-06 and not taking the bike seriously blew me off still calling it a big boy toy bought the bike for his 18 year old son, not more than 10 days later the dealer called me back and wanted me to come in as he had something to show me, when I got there he took me into the back room where sat the bike I built in milk crates, come to find out that "KID" was killed on it when he impacted a 3/4 ton pickup head on doing over 100 MPH on the back wheel PLAYING with his new TOY.
For Me it was a big boy toy but for him it was a death sentence and thats what happens when people with the skillsets to navigate their hobby or pastime activities safely impart the impression upon those who lack the experience to do so that they are playing with a TOY .
Yeh for the reasons stated above I do not call or consider dangerous things TOYS anymore it gives the absolute wrong impressionto those who DON"T KNOW any different than what you are telling them the absolute wrong impression, and by all acounts if somebody gets mangled up due to the impression of complacency you give them by calling them toys no matter what it is, well thats on your conscience and I just will not be the one to give anybody that impression , just my.02 and yes I'm pretty vocal about it

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

I draw my own plans. and build from scratch. It still doesn't diminish the fact that I'm playing with a bunch of toys in the sand box. I don't see this hobby as some sort of ''noble pursuit'' that needs to be recognized with somber, dignified reverence and only the highest amount of respect. It's actually a pretty silly pass time when I stop to think about it....which is just fine.
It's the truly ''self important'' types who can not come to grips with what many of us can see in it's proper perspective.
The one guy who stands out amongst all of the ''IT'S NOT A TOY'' types that I've ever met and flown with was one of those guys with the official AMA jacket with 200 patches sewn on it commemorating all of his grande acheivements and what not. He always wore those ''official'' military issue pilots sunglasses..and really was quite the social misfit if any other subject besides model planes was ever being discussed.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:10 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Kids have been killing themselves on motorcycles since Adam & Eve.
I was in basic training with a guy we called Frankenstein. He was about 20 years old, he walked like he had a stick up his tailpipe and he could place a bar of soap in a recess in his sternum. He was given a Kawasaki 900-1000 for his 16th birthday.
This has nothing at all to do with what you call "self importance". His bike was a useless toy that almost killed him.
You pay your nickle and you takes yo' chances.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:23 PM
nute12
My Feedback: (14)

Part of The reason I don't believe in calling anything that posesses the ability to kill you a TOY is becasue it gives the impression to the unaware that any IDIOT can pick this thing up and misuse or handle it improperly, with no fear of injury and thats wrong , it has nothing to do with anybody trying to inflate their own self importance by adding unecessary importance to what they do as a hobby.
Let me give you some background as to why I don't downplay dangerous things by calling them toys.

I copied this from your post sir......they are still a toy, BECAUSE the purpose is entertainment. It's really simple... if it is not a necessity it is a toy. Did you buy your model because you thought they were dangerous and it needs YOUR common sense to make safe? getting hurt is Darwinist law. There are actually people out there with good sense! Now some toys are dangerous and can cause collateral damage. The collateral damage should be the worry. those in the hobby know the risk. the rest of us in the hobby with em try to lessen the risk.
you waitin for nanny state to draw line for ya? tell ya whether it is a toy or a clear and present danger to the security of the united states? get a grip and have some fun. Thats what this is supposed to be about!!!!!! Semantics is kinda like legalease ..... 3 guys out of 100 actually UNDERSTAND what is being said, the rest follow the speech they like the best. because of that we end up takin it in the shorts for a few guys attempt at control. (if ya cant tell i kinda rebellious) it's easier just to call it fun and leave it at that.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:28 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see the correlation between something being potentially dangerous to not being a toy.

Where has this bizarre fear of injury come from? SEEMS EVERYWHERE I turn, people are concerned about MY safety! What happened to good ole common sense and each of us being able to decide how safe or reckless we want to be and taking personal responsibility for those decisions? I am sure that there will be those that take issue with my belief that I could care less how dangerous YOU want to be, just don't tell me how SAFE I HAVE to be.

Astrohog
Old 11-30-2012, 05:47 PM
nute12

Sure can tell the weather is turnin , huh?
Old 11-30-2012, 05:55 PM
nute12

hmmmm grapics for the Katana......"clear and present danger" I can make that work..... and work really well.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:58 PM
warbird addict

Well I guess I have a higher self imposed level of accountability for my words and my actions, with the realization that someone could very well get the wrong impression and get seriously hurt when the dangers are downplayed.
The evidence of people who think these things are toys is all over youtube , guys flying turbines off traveled highways, buzzing commercial airliners, flying their toys behind their car while driving down the road and a thousand other just such videos as proof positive and it fosters the Idea that anything goes it's just a toy and it's up to the ones who've been in this awhile to dispell the perception that these are toys to be played with in any manner we see fit.
I see threads all the time related to more and more regulation coming from th FAA regarding MODEL Aircraft and guys screaming up a storm about it but yet still encourage more of the same behavior by calling them toys and downplaying the responsibilites to the point that the FAA is now forced to deal with it because of the crap they see on Youtube
I just think it's irresposible as hell for anybody in this hobby to downplay the responsibilties involved by mimimizing dangers and calling them toys.
that would be no different than handing the neighbors kid a loaded 30.06 to play with and telling the parents when he kills himself or somebody else with it "YOU PAY YOUR NICKLE YOU TAKES YO CHANCES"
Old 11-30-2012, 06:21 PM
GerKonig

Well, after reading 12 pages, it is clear that:

a) RC airplanes are not toys, they are Model Airplanes

b) Model Airplanes, on the other hand, are toys, and this is proven, because we play with them all the time, or as much as we possible can

Gerry

Old 11-30-2012, 06:23 PM
warbird addict

Just an observation and not to take issue with you personally but maybe just maybe it's your own behavior/complacency/ recklessness or carelessness that makes the people around you afraid for your safety?
I was in the service with a guy who use to take the 45 from the guy he relieved on watch and put it to his head and pull the trigger with the assumption that the guy he relieved hadn't loaded it or played with it or left a round in the chamber ultimate show of trust until one night the weapon went BOOM luckily missing him with the round ricocheting all around the metal bulkheads damned near killing them both, long story short it's your actions and your actions alone which instill confidence in the people around you and not your confidence in yourself, the manner in which you conduct yourself also affects the safety of those around you and their level of concern is directly related to your possible lack of it
Like I said based on your post it's just an observation.
An old timer told me if everybody is backing up and looks like they are ready to dive under their car you are doing something wrong, whatever that is STOP doing it LOL

ORIGINAL: astrohog

I don't see the correlation between something being potentially dangerous to not being a toy.

Where has this bizarre fear of injury come from? SEEMS EVERYWHERE I turn, people are concerned about MY safety! What happened to good ole common sense and each of us being able to decide how safe or reckless we want to be and taking personal responsibility for those decisions? I am sure that there will be those that take issue with my belief that I could care less how dangerous YOU want to be, just don't tell me how SAFE I HAVE to be.

Astrohog
Old 11-30-2012, 06:24 PM
nute12

Warbird addict,, yer missin my point, I said nothing about accountability (other than Darwinism) these things are a choice as a hobby to do for fun. That Makes em toys, whether ya build from scratch or buy a rtf spend 150 bucks or 20,000...... you still have to be responsible for your actions with these toys.Responsibility does not take them out of the realm of being a toy.....only necessity to make your living from em can do that. (which still leaves our model airplanes open to a few)
Old 11-30-2012, 07:06 PM
astrohog

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am going to try and put this as simply as possible:

MY safety is MY responsibility, not anyone elses.

It is MY responsibility not to inflict harm on others, NO ONE ELSES. (IF I DO inflict harm on someone else, THEN and ONLY THEN is it someone elses responsibility to take action against me)

If I am around someone that is acting in a manner that may be harmful to themselves, others or myself, it is NOT MY RESPONSIBILITY, duty or RIGHT to tell them to STOP. I can choose to offer MY OPINION that they are being unsafe and offer assistance, or I can choose to be responsible for my own safety and remove myself from the danger.

@ warbird addict: your analogies are waaaay off base!! giving the neighbor kid a gun and say "you take your chances"? COME ON, NOT ANYWHERE NEAR AN ACCURATE ANALOGY!!!! GIVING something dangerous to ANYONE without the proper training and knowledge to use it in a responsible manner would be extremely irresponsible. NOW, if said person went out on their own accord and acquired something dangerous.....WHOLE DIFFERENT STORY!

We obviously have different thresholds of what we each consider safe, and I am good with that as long as we can agree to not impose each others' beliefs on another.

Regards,

Astro
Old 11-30-2012, 07:16 PM

ORIGINAL: warbird addict

In dec of 2007 I bought a STOCK Yamaha R-1 and being a longtime sportbike rider and ''backroad racer'' I went the whole 9 yards on this bike performance wise when I finished the bike it was pushing somewhere around 190 HP 4th gear roll on , I can't remember the Ft Lbs of torque but basicly it would come up on the back wheel all the way up to 3rd gear with a firm twist of the throttle, I kept the bike till 2009 at which point I traded it in for another bike for reasons I can't remember , in any case I get a call from the dealer 2 weeks later telling me a potential buyer wants to talk to me about the bike, no problem , I go down to the dealer and come to find out this guy wants to buy it for his sons 18th birthday and he wants to buy his kid a nice flashy toy for his birthday and he wants a bike ''his first bike'', toy, toy ,toy kept coming up in conversation and I cautioned him about this potentially NOT being a good first bike for the kid but the old man ''wealthy'' and driving a Z-06 and not taking the bike seriously blew me off still calling it a big boy toy bought the bike for his 18 year old son, not more than 10 days later the dealer called me back and wanted me to come in as he had something to show me, when I got there he took me into the back room where sat the bike I built in milk crates, come to find out that ''KID'' was killed on it when he impacted a 3/4 ton pickup head on doing over 100 MPH on the back wheel PLAYING with his new TOY.
For Me it was a big boy toy but for him it was a death sentence and thats what happens when people with the skillsets to navigate their hobby or pastime activities safely impart the impression upon those who lack the experience to do so that they are playing with a TOY .
Yeh for the reasons stated above I do not call or consider dangerous things TOYS anymore it gives the absolute wrong impressionto those who DON''T KNOW any different than what you are telling them the absolute wrong impression, and by all acounts if somebody gets mangled up due to the impression of complacency you give them by calling them toys no matter what it is, well thats on your conscience and I just will not be the one to give anybody that impression , just my.02 and yes I'm pretty vocal about it

The kid's first bike, and he is wheely-ing at 100 mph 10 days later.
Well, I'm mostly a dirt-biker, but I've owned and ridden a few high-performance street bikes.
That boy, ( and his dumb-arse father) was out of control from the get-go.

The moral of the story is not that the R-1 is not a toy, but in this case, not a suitable toy for an inexperienced 18 yr. old.

That unfortunate young man was living on borrowed time already.
If not the R-1, he'd have found a way to hurt or kill himself with something else.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:16 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

What does a kid playing with a gun have to do with toy airplanes (of which I have a garage full)?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.