Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: R/C Airplanes are not toys...

Oops double the fun
    Matt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

To me, an rc plane is a really bad***** toy...
    Gws Slow Stick Brushless

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

ORIGINAL: Rob2160

I am one of those old men that likes to go to the flying field and argue.
    The planes we fly are not toys but they are getting closer every day.
    I build my aircraft from plans. Do you?
    No, because I hate building them.. I love flying them...

I am also a full size Jet pilot, but I didn't build the corporate jet I fly either.

This is one of my pet hates in this hobby... and model railroaders are the same.. I love trains.. watching them run, but I have ZEROinterest in building small trees and building structures.

I understand and can respect that SOMEPeople love this side of the hobby, building andthe artistic side of construction, but just because you like it, does not mean every RC pilot has to also..

How many REAL Pilots build their own aircraft.... VERYFEW....

It does not lessen their skills a pilot nor detract from their enjoyment of actually flying (RC or full size)

If you enjoy building from plans that is super. I had to do it 30 years ago when there was no alternative but Ihatedit, but it was a necessary evil if I wanted an RC plane, and I am so happy I can nowbuy a plane ready to fly and spend all my time flying.. ..

Sorry.. I rant . no actual offense intended..

I didn't build my car either.. I just like driving it..
    There are a lot of people that build their own full scale aircraft. I knew a guy that built his own jet. Unfortunately he crashed and killed himself.
    There are also lots of people that build their own cars.
    When you are given a jet or car and you only have to operated it, it really is a toy. No matter what the size is.
    This hobby used to be you had to build your airplane and get it to fly. It was a work of art to some. They even had a builder of the model rule in the AMA.
    Now you buy an aircraft, poor it out of the box, push a few buttons and you are flying. Its a toy.
    That doesn't mean you cant enjoy flying it. Just don't try to call it anything but.
    Yes, I don't disagree with you that SOME pilots have built their own plane. and SOME people build their own cars, but these are in the extreme minority, I would say less than 1% of pilots actually build their own aircraft and perhaps less than 0.01% of drivers build their own cars.

I absolutely admire anyone who has this talent / aptitude, but I certainly don't. However I absolutely love flying anything that flys!, RC Planes, RC Helicopters, Real Planes, Helicopters..

Yes, I was in this hobby when the only option was to build it from plans or a very basic balsa kit. I spent many nights as a teenager cutting numerous ribs from Balsa sheet and I hated every second of it, but it was the only way to get an RC aircraft.. I totally respect that some people enjoy the satisfaction of the building project. But they should not look down on those who just prefer to fly.

How many Footballers actually sew togther their own pig skin to make the football? NONE.. I'm just saying that if someone does not want to build and just wants to fly, it makes them no less welcome to this great hobby and they should not be made to feel inadequate by older modellers who won't take a plane seriously unless it was hand built over many weeks and hundreds of hours.

To be honest, my Bind and Fly Parkzone aircraft look and fly MUCHMUCH better than ANY Hand built RC Aircraft in my club 30 years ago. With no noise, no mess and no fuss, and infinite more reliablity.

Even my $69 Hobbyking Spitfire is better than planes at the club that cost over $1000 30 years ago..

I have been in this hobby since 1978 and the last 3 years have been BY FAR the most enjoyable for me.. I have done more flights in the past 3 years than the Previous 32 combined.. Because I don't have to build the "BL**DY things..

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my planes for what I told her they cost.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: koastrc

I was telling my younger brother about this toy thing. He give me his take on it. He is a charter boat owner. His boat is his tools. My boat is my toy. He has a Model 19 he likes to shoot from time to time. I have a Model 19 that I am required to shoot twice a year. My Smith is a tool, his is a toy. So I guess all 275 post is just how it is and how we look at it. I almost never agree with Chuck, but I think he is on to something about the guy with the patches.

Yes, some good examples of perspective.. !. I totally agree.. Its up to each of us and how we view this hobby..

To me they are Toys, and I LOVE my toys and am not ashamed to say "I'm going to play with my Toys"

I don't understand why some people get so defensive or insulted by that word.. To me they are recreational and fun..

and remember.. He who dies with the most toys WINS!

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my planes for what I told her they cost.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: blhollo2

Well, some people who have no idea of the hobby of flying r/c airplanes think of them as toys.. but man, I tell you My wife and friends always says ''Are you going to go fly your toy planes today?'' and for some reason that Irks me. Even my co-workers say the same thing and chuckle and then I explain to them that these ''toys'' fly at 60-80mph and yeild 50cc gasoline engine and cost anywhere from $200-$1300.00 to build or assemble and have the ability to cut & chop fingers off or worse. Then they act like I'm a big kid..And I might be a big kid deep down inside and I enjoiy it! Am I the only one who has to correct their friends,family and coworkers on the hobby and go on light defense? Now I just laugh and tell them to come to my house and see the planes and when they do they are amazed and say ''WOW I though they were like small ''toys'' lol...oh well they dont know any better!

As long as you take care of family and business/finances first, you are grown up enough to be a kid when you want.

Steve

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

Hey, it is just like painting a beautiful landscape that an artist can do so well. If I try that it looks like chicken scratch. I even struggle drawing a decent circle and not sure why I could never do that well. I cannot paint anything exept maybe a wall in my house, but when it comes to something mechanical or with a computer, I can almost look at it and fix it - been doing mechanical stuff all my life and it just fits me.

We are all different and that is what makes it all beautiful to me. With one flavor of ice cream the world would be rather dull.

What is that old saying, "Different strokes for different folks"? Yeah, that is what I am talkin' 'bout!
    + 1 exactly as I see it also.. You also described my artisic lack of talent perfectly, but anything mechanical is putty in my hands.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How does a guy put a .45 to his head, then pull the trigger...then miss his head...then have the ricochet bounce all around and end up ALMOST KILLING BOTH OF THEM with just 1 shot...?

It is a totally unwise leap of logic to think that because I call my planes toys that I [or the vast majority of us] downplay their plane's potential to do serious harm. There have been several close calls that I've witnessed flying combat. I know a guy who had his plane come straight at him from the top of the circle. Nelson .36 on 60 foot lines, 8x6 APC. He put his hand up just in time to keep the engine from hitting his head and the styrofoam wing panel broke his collar bone. 20 years earlier, a AMA fast combat plane was cut loose and hit a passer by in the back of his head at 100 mph at Sandpoint Park in Seattle. This happened before safety wrist thongs and fuel shutoffs were mandatory. Pylon racing has had at least 2 fatalities that I've heard of. Very sobering stuff.
    Even in Pop Warner football and Little League baseball there have been numerous tragedies. If you can't look at a football, a hardball and bat and a model airplane as toys in light of their potential to do harm then that is obviously your personal choice.

WHO GUNNA FEED MAW KEEEIDS..???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's all about risk management. That is why flying model airplanes is a sport, not a child's play thing. Rules are involved to enjoy the sport and avoid accidents.

β€œHe’s crazy Lew, he builds toy airplanes”. Capt. Frank Towns, Flight of the Phoenix
    George Hostler
    Clovis MADS AMA Club, Vintage R/C Society (VRCS)
    And we know love by this, that He laid down His life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 1 John 3:16

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have built and flown model airplanes since my childhood. It was not only a hobby for me but it also transported me into the science of aviation. I used model airplanes to learn to fly full scale aircraft. I used model airplanes with my students as a tool to help them master their skills to become certificated aviators as well. I fly large corporate airplanes all over the world, and have bettered myself and my family along the way, with the help of model aviation. I have never felt they were a toy, and to this day I build and fly model airplanes. No they are not toy's, anymore than balls are toys to sports stars, or video games are to the young geek down the road who took that interest and went on in life to use those interests as innovators of the future. I guess it is all in the eye of the beholder.
    GIVdriver
    P-51 Brotherhood #50
    P-47 Brotherhood #30
    P-40 Brotherhood #102
    CORSAIR Brotherhood #89

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I never made any money playing baseball but I played at a level where you could hear the ball hiss as it crossed the plate and where you could smell burned rubber when you foul tipped a 90 mph batting practice ball.
    Regardless, it was only a game and the play things we used to play that game could in no way be considered anything else but our toys.
    Same thing goes for video games.!....[X(]
    Besides you, who on Earth doesn't consider them not just toys...but a huge waste of a youngster's childhood....?
    Kids belong outside, not raised in front of a picture tube.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: blhollo2

Well, some people who have no idea of the hobby of flying r/c airplanes think of them as toys.. but man, I tell you My wife and friends always says ''Are you going to go fly your toy planes today?'' and for some reason that Irks me. Even my co-workers say the same thing and chuckle and then I explain to them that these ''toys'' fly at 60-80mph and yeild 50cc gasoline engine and cost anywhere from $200-$1300.00 to build or assemble and have the ability to cut & chop fingers off or worse. Then they act like I'm a big kid..And I might be a big kid deep down inside and I enjoiy it! Am I the only one who has to correct their friends,family and coworkers on the hobby and go on light defense? Now I just laugh and tell them to come to my house and see the planes and when they do they are amazed and say ''WOW I though they were like small ''toys'' lol...oh well they dont know any better!
    So, turn to your wife and say, "Are you going to do that silly girly thing at the spa where you pay $300 just to get your nails and hair done?"
    I don't get how they think THAT is money well spent !
    We in the Federal Government have no sense of humor that we are aware of.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: GallopingGhostler

It's all about risk management. That is why flying model airplanes is a sport, not a child's play thing. Rules are involved to enjoy the sport and avoid accidents.

β€œHe’s crazy Lew, he builds toy airplanes”. Capt. Frank Towns, Flight of the Phoenix
    I most likely gave my Son a couple, "This is not a toy, it can do harm" talks when showing him how to ride a minibike or fire a BB gun when he was a little kid. Some years pass and it's pretty hard not to look at that in it's context.
    As for the "Flight of the Phoenix" movie...it's been years since I saw it but if I remember correctly the German was depicted like a pouty, indignant child when the subject was brought up about his toy planes......

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

“He’s crazy Lew, he builds toy airplanes”. Capt. Frank Towns, Flight of the Phoenix
    Not a childs play thing??

Check this vid.. we had a 9 year old at our club 32 years ago, (I was 16) who could fly .60 size pattern aircraft like this..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XnwrCC0YEQ[/youtube]

How many of you fly this well? I NEVER will..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The great thing about having the Internet and this type of forum is that it gives you so many views from different sides of the fence. I enjoy all the observations/perceptions about this subject. With being a bit open we can learn so much and most of all learn how our fellow RC folks view our hobby.

Many tend to think if it can do harm it is not a toy because of the risk and others don't think that way. Many think that if it have a value of work associated with it it is not a toy and so on it goes. One interesting thing that has come up a number of times is how others view what a toy really is. Some consider "play" very differently, whether it be a 1500HP dragster or a small electric heli.

I thought it very interesting how the hobby can be used to further your kowledge of aviation and even assist in an aviation career to some degree. That is a very good aspect of it that I usually do not think about. To me, it is really a passtime to get away from my work livelyhood and free my mind some. Some great side benefits too - it is fun, rewarding, and can be used as an avenue of learning.

Folks should post their thoughts about it as others of us gain from reading them and can enlighten those less knowledgeable as to the various "strengths" that RC has to offer.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's a lot harder to make a case for regulating toys ...

Maybe we should all push the idea that these things are toys.

Let me give you an example.

I fly on a public site, which is administered by an archaic method. The land is "common pasture" and it is administered by an hereditary cartel called "pasture masters". They don't own the land, but they do have some say in how the pasture and timber are harvested.

They would love to see model flying banned ... they've told me as much. But, thousands of people use this land for recreation; they bring their kids, with their toy planes and they launch them after picnic lunches. (they launch the planes, not the kids. Mostly)

As long as it is impossible to distinguish between our models and those toys, a ban is going to be really difficult to word.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

So, turn to your wife and say, ''Are you going to do that silly girly thing at the spa where you pay $300 just to get your nails and hair done?''
    I don't get how they think THAT is money well spent !
    It's money well spent if it helps you get a little nookie at night
    Bob-O
    I Crashed All My Planes, Can I Fly Yours

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am one of those old men that likes to go to the flying field and argue.
    The planes we fly are not toys but they are getting closer every day.
    I build my aircraft from plans. Do you?
    No, because I hate building them.. I love flying them...

I am also a full size Jet pilot, but I didn't build the corporate jet I fly either.

This is one of my pet hates in this hobby... and model railroaders are the same.. I love trains.. watching them run, but I have ZEROΒ*interest in building small trees and building structures.

I understand and can respect that SOMEΒ*People love this side of the hobby, building andΒ*the artistic side of construction, but just because you like it, does not mean every RC pilot has to also..

How many REAL Pilots build their own aircraft.... VERYΒ*FEW....

It does not lessen their skills a pilot nor detract from their enjoyment of actually flying (RC or full size)

If you enjoy building from plans that is super. I had to do it 30 years ago when there was no alternative but IΒ*hatedΒ*it, but it was a necessary evil if I wanted an RC plane, and I am so happy I can nowΒ*buy a plane ready to fly and spend all my time flying.. ..

Sorry.. I rant . no actual offense intended..

I didn't build my car either.. I just like driving it..
    There are a lot of people that build their own full scale aircraft. I knew a guy that built his own jet. Unfortunately he crashed and killed himself.
    There are also lots of people that build their own cars.
    When you are given a jet or car and you only have to operated it, it really is a toy. No matter what the size is.
    This hobby used to be you had to build your airplane and get it to fly. It was a work of art to some. They even had a builder of the model rule in the AMA.
    Now you buy an aircraft, poor it out of the box, push a few buttons and you are flying. Its a toy.
    That doesn't mean you cant enjoy flying it. Just don't try to call it anything but.
    Yes, I don't disagree with you that SOME pilots have built their own plane. and SOME people build their own cars, but these are in the extreme minority, I would say less than 1% of pilots actually build their own aircraft and perhaps less than 0.01% of drivers build their own cars.Β*

I absolutely admire anyone who has this talent / aptitude, but I certainly don't. However I absolutely love flying anything that flys!, RC Planes, RC Helicopters, Real Planes, Helicopters..

Yes, I was in this hobby when the only option was to build it from plans or a very basic balsa kit.Β* I spent many nights as a teenager cutting numerous ribs from Balsa sheet and I hated every second of it, but it was the only way to get an RC aircraft.. I totally respect that some people enjoy the satisfaction of the building project. But they should not look down on those who just prefer to fly.

How many Footballers actually sew togther their own pig skin to make the football?Β* NONE..Β*Β*Β* I'm just saying that if someone does not want to build and just wants to fly, it makes them no less welcome to this great hobby and they should not be made to feel inadequate by older modellers who won't take a plane seriously unless it was hand built over many weeks and hundreds of hours.

To be honest, my Bind and Fly Parkzone aircraft look and fly MUCHΒ*MUCH better than ANY Hand built RC Aircraft in my club 30 years ago. With no noise, no mess and no fuss, and infinite more reliablity.

Even my $69 Hobbyking Spitfire is better than planes at the club that cost over $1000 30 years ago..

I have been in this hobby since 1978 and the last 3 years have been BY FAR the most enjoyable for me.. I have done more flights in the past 3 years than the PreviousΒ* 32 combined.. Because I don't have to build the ''BL**DY things..

I don't think you would be where you are today if you hadn't been forced to learn what you did when you were young.
    That's the trouble I see today. You buy one that all of the engineering has been done for you and all you learn is how to push a few buttons and manipulate some levers.
    If that is all the current generation needs to know, I feel sorry for the human race.
    dirty old men need love too.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We have gone from R/C airplanes are not toys, to I feel sorry for the human race...

Bob
    Fly It Like You Stole It!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: pmerritt

The wife collects Barbies so we have our fun being kids again with our ''toys''.Β* She gets on me a lot because she says she is at least smarter than me because she doesn't take her Barbies out in the field that throw them up in the air hoping they don't come down and crash.Β*
    I think she makes a good point!
    LOL - Good one!

Bad news for most of the posters.... You know you are a nerd if you don't call your toys toys! Here's a litmus test... lets say you are at a party and see a very attractive woman you would like to get to know. You strike up a conversation and she asks you about your hobbies. Would you be embarrassed to tell that woman you play with model aircraft? If not, you are probably a nerd and not likely to get the attention of an attractive woman! lol....
    "Luftcrazy"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: spinnetti Here's a litmus test... lets say you are at a party and see a very attractive woman you would like to get to know. You strike up a conversation and she asks you about your hobbies. Would you be embarrassed to tell that woman you play with model aircraft? If not, you are probably a nerd and not likely to get the attention of an attractive woman! lol....
    If you are single and she says sure, I'd like to watch you fly those airplanes, you have a potential keeper!
    George Hostler
    And we know love by this, that He laid down His life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 1 John 3:16

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: combatpigg
    ORIGINAL: GallopingGhostler It's all about risk management. That is why flying model airplanes is a sport, not a child's play thing. Rules are involved to enjoy the sport and avoid accidents.
    I most likely gave my Son a couple, ''This is not a toy, it can do harm'' talks when showing him how to ride a minibike or fire a BB gun when he was a little kid. Some years pass and it's pretty hard not to look at that in it's context.
    You instructed him right. I am sure you built a path where he carries those proper instructions into his other activities in life.

ORIGINAL: combatpigg
    ORIGINAL: GallopingGhostler β€œHe’s crazy Lew, he builds toy airplanes”. Capt. Frank Towns, Flight of the Phoenix
    As for the ''Flight of the Phoenix'' movie...it's been years since I saw it but if I remember correctly the German was depicted like a pouty, indignant child when the subject was brought up about his toy planes......
    And Frank Towns was portrayed as a bigoted, anti-model plane grumpy old man.
    George Hostler

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: spinnetti

ORIGINAL: pmerritt

The wife collects Barbies so we have our fun being kids again with our ''toys''.Β* She gets on me a lot because she says she is at least smarter than me because she doesn't take her Barbies out in the field that throw them up in the air hoping they don't come down and crash.Β*
    I think she makes a good point!
    LOL - Good one!

Bad news for most of the posters.... You know you are a nerd if you don't call your toys toys! Here's a litmus test... lets say you are at a party and see a very attractive woman you would like to get to know. You strike up a conversation and she asks you about your hobbies. Would you be embarrassed to tell that woman you play with model aircraft? If not, you are probably a nerd and not likely to get the attention of an attractive woman! lol....
    Well, if you tell her, and she laughs or looks at you oddly, just remind her about the "Flight of the Phoenix" where the guy who saved all the others was an R/C toy model builder & pilot. Then say if you and she were ever on a plane called, The Phoenix that went down in a rain forest, you would repair the plane and fly it out, but leave her smartass behind.
    We in the Federal Government have no sense of humor that we are aware of.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here we go again............if a kid can fly an R/C plane proves our pride and joys are toys
    The foamies and ARF's have changed this hobby for the better .......Ilike toys . This thread
    is hilariously true...........grown men palying with model airplanes. Hey, That kid can outfly
    me any day of the week , but can HE pay for his own toys ?? Naaah ole poppy foots the bill.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The point is missed. A child, if taught the rules of safety, can participate in the hobby, too, and be competitive. (Remember Chip Hyde 20 years ago as an 8 year old won 2nd place in US National R/C pattern?) It is not an MATURE AUDIENCES ONLY thing.
    George Hostler

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The point is missed. A child, if taught the rules of safety, can participate in the hobby, too, and be competitive. (Remember Chip Hyde 20 years ago as an 8 year old won 2nd place in US National R/C pattern?) It is not an MATURE AUDIENCES ONLY thing.
    But Chip Hydes pappy bought and built the airplane for him. That's the mature part
    dirty old men need love too.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast