Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

R/C Airplanes are not toys...

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

R/C Airplanes are not toys...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 09:12 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts
Default RE: R/C Airplanes are not toys...

That's why it is a sport and not a toy thing.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:40 AM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: spinnetti

ORIGINAL: pmerritt

The wife collects Barbies so we have our fun being kids again with our ''toys''. She gets on me a lot because she says she is at least smarter than me because she doesn't take her Barbies out in the field that throw them up in the air hoping they don't come down and crash.
I think she makes a good point!
LOL - Good one!

Bad news for most of the posters.... You know you are a nerd if you don't call your toys toys! Here's a litmus test... lets say you are at a party and see a very attractive woman you would like to get to know. You strike up a conversation and she asks you about your hobbies. Would you be embarrassed to tell that woman you play with model aircraft? If not, you are probably a nerd and not likely to get the attention of an attractive woman! lol....
Great post.. and so true.. it works both ways.. I have always told girls at the beginning of a first date about my hobbies at the time, be it Model Trains, RC Planes or Helis,If she reacts positively or in good naturedjest its all good.. but if she reacts with any form of disdain or mocking, then she suddenly becomes much less attractive to me and I never wasted time on a 2nd date..

Best tell em first up.. if it gets serious shewill find out anyway...

If you are embarrassed about your hobby.. change hobbies.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:52 AM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

I don't think you would be where you are today if you hadn't been forced to learn what you did when you were young.
That's the trouble I see today. You buy one that all of the engineering has been done for you and all you learn is how to push a few buttons and manipulate some levers.
If that is all the current generation needs to know, I feel sorry for the human race.
You make a very good point.. yes I did learn a lot about aircraft by building my own.. and yes, I see it also in kids these days.. I was 14 whenI built my first .15 powered high wing trainer from scratch.... Did it all by myself and it flew great..

Most 14 year olds these days don't even know how to use a hammer.. But they can kill a thousand bad guys in an hour on the XBOX.. What a waste of youth..
Old 12-01-2012, 10:16 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rob2160

I don't think you would be where you are today if you hadn't been forced to learn what you did when you were young.
That's the trouble I see today. You buy one that all of the engineering has been done for you and all you learn is how to push a few buttons and manipulate some levers.
If that is all the current generation needs to know, I feel sorry for the human race.
You make a very good point.. yes I did learn a lot about aircraft by building my own.. and yes, I see it also in kids these days.. I was 14 when I built my first .15 powered high wing trainer from scratch.... Did it all by myself and it flew great..

Most 14 year olds these days don't even know how to use a hammer.. But they can kill a thousand bad guys in an hour on the XBOX.. What a waste of youth..
Agreed. This trend is undeniable as the future male gene pool gets ever so slowly feminized through "easy living". Mother Nature does try to intervene, the past 30 years since video game time got added to TV watching time [that was already excessive] , diseases linked to sedentary lifestyles have been increasing tremendoudly in young people. It might sound melodramatic to say so, but several young lives have been ruined from WAY too much time in front of a TV, video game or a computer. Diseases like atherosclerosis and diabetes used to be unheard of in the under 25 y.o. set...now it is showing up more often in the culture that were raised by electronic baby sitters.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:25 AM
Ttowntoolman

Toys. Where do you all buy your models? Right next to the other toys at the local hobby store..........hmmmmm. Dont be ambarassed guys, were all in this thing together.........seperatly of coarse.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:19 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

I just received a copy of AIR $ SPACE SMITHSONIAN. It has an article about military UAV's that are now showing up on the civilian market. They are very similar that the toys I see at our flying field but they cost a lot more. They don't call them toys, they call them Drones.
There is the solution. The next time a pretty girl at a party asks you about your hobby, tell her you are a drone pilot.
Be careful who you tell that to or you could be required by the FAA to file a flight plan when you want to fly your toy.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:23 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

[deleted[/quote]
Old 12-01-2012, 05:38 PM
Rob2160

I just received a copy of AIR $ SPACE SMITHSONIAN. It has an article about military UAV's that are now showing up on the civilian market. They are very similar that the toys I see at our flying field but they cost a lot more. They don't call them toys, they call them Drones.
There is the solution. The next time a pretty girl at a party asks you about your hobby, tell her you are a drone pilot.
Be careful who you tell that to or you could be required by the FAA to file a flight plan when you want to fly your toy.
I stay in one of Perth's most prestige hotels for very extended periods.. I often take my Helicopter / Planes with me in the elevators.. Unquestionably I get positive reactions from every man that happens to be in the elevator.. Envy and admiration usually.. Recently, I had two sperate guys say.. "Hey, you have a drone... "

Heck I'm not embarrassed.. I used to Set up my N Scale model trains in my room at the Police Academy.. Only one guy made fun of them, but he was totally disliked by everyone in the class.. the gals actually thought it was super cute..
Old 12-01-2012, 05:42 PM
telejojo

Most of them now are toys cheap foamys that you buy,charge bat. and go fly and will survive most crashes,no building or tuning.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:22 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

ORIGINAL: telejojo Most of them now are toys cheap foamys that you buy,charge bat. and go fly and will survive most crashes,no building or tuning.
But still, they are not toys. They follow the same principals of physics, aeronautics. The fact they are lighter, fly slower and sustain crashes easier allows one to get stick time when the flying field is too far away, a little fatigued to drag out all the gear, catch a little flight time before work, before supper, experiment when the weather isn't optimal being gutsier on a lower investment, etc.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:24 PM
warbird addict

My point in the whole matter is not to promote the misconception that danderous things are toys to be handled in any manner you choose without fear of reprocussion and or serious injory and or death, to me its an accountability issue if it posesses the ability to maim or kill you I will be the first one to tell you that, make no mistake about it and you can make your decision about how to handle it , atleast in that manner of doing things I can reasonably say to myself , well I warned them of the dangers involved and they made that decision to take that risk themselves.
I am not even remotely one who lives life on the reserved and overly cautious side quite the opposite is in fact the case with me I've ridden sport bikes at over 190 mph but never in any case have I ever given anybody the impression through my own confidence and or complacency the impression that it's safe to do or downplay the the dangers involved by calling it a toy to play with , it's just damned irresponsible and gives the absolute wrong impression about it, be it RC airplanes , firearms or anything else that posesses the ability to mangle you, i will not be the one to give you the wrong impression and give you a FALSE sense of security by downplaying the dangers and calling it whatever it may be a TOY.
The way I look at it the people who come to me and ask questions due to the fact that I am well entrenched in this hobby of ours, are looking to me for advice and will conduct themselves accordingly based on the input I've given them and to me that bears a certain responsibility not to give them the wrong impression by calling them toys as it minimizes the dangers involved, to me common sense dictates transparency and full disclosure so that those who look to you for advice can atleast make an educated decision on how to approach what they are about to undertake armed with the knowledge to do it safely, minimizing the dangers by calling them toys is a really bad way to start
Old 12-01-2012, 07:27 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

By any chance do you have patches on your jacket?
Old 12-01-2012, 08:00 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Patches..? We dunn need no steeenkieen patches...!!

Give people some credit for the brains that they were born with. If I call my 190 mph bike either a TOY or a DANGEROUS OBJECT that will NOT make a spit's worth of difference to anyone else within range of my voice who has the means to get on that bike and take ownership of it..
Old 12-02-2012, 01:39 AM
koastrc

My grand son is a Med student. He has read ever post on this thread. When he and I talked about the way we look at ourselves he has some observations. First thing is his view on all of the different back round of the people in this model aircraft business. According to him, many of you would do well in many occupations. Some of us let it be known what we do. Other have to be figured out. Not sure what part of his studies people in our hobby/sport plays, but he sure is interested.
Maybe to people outside the sport we do present a strange picture. When I read these comments. They look alright to me. Sounds much like our field on meeting day. On the bright side we do all have something in common. One of those parts of our sport we share is opinions. Those opinions are the things that drive this thread. I like it. Makes for good reading.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:39 AM
ackroyd
My Feedback: (8)

There big boys toys, get over yourself
Old 12-02-2012, 03:38 AM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: telejojo

Most of them now are toys cheap foamys that you buy,charge bat. and go fly and will survive most crashes,no building or tuning.
Ain't life grand!!!

Best fun I've ever had for 80 Bucks. 1 Hour to build..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruiuZahglQk[/youtube]

And this one.. 69 Bucks.. 30 minutes to build..

It now has over 1000 flights.. that is 5000 minutes, over 80 HOURS in the air.. completely flawless..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUr81q8hqpg[/youtube]

My First RC aircraft cost me over $400, was a low performance high wing trainer.. took 3 months to build and never flew as well as the above aircraft..

To each his own but for me itsa NO BRAINER..ARF and BNFFoamies win hands down..

This one cost $300, took 20 minutes to build and absolutely BLOWS AWAY ANY of the Glo Plug BALSA planes I flew over the past 30 years..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmxEoGUIf0E[/youtube]
Old 12-02-2012, 03:53 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: GallopingGhostler

But still, they are not toys. They follow the same principals of physics, aeronautics.
Are you saying that "it" becomes a toy if it does not follow the principles of physics?

Old 12-02-2012, 04:04 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: perttime

But still, they are not toys. They follow the same principals of physics, aeronautics.
Are you saying that ''it'' becomes a toy if it does not follow the principles of physics?

For some strange reason, my definition of "toy" does not fit all of RC. I guess it was because we played with toys on the floor or in our rooms most of the time and in those days there was not much, if anything anyone could afford that was wireless. We played with mostly toy soldiers, cowboys and indians, small models, the little Tonka type toys and that was about it.

When we got BB guns, they were not considered toys because you could kill animals and/or possible a person if hit in the right place, or do other serious damage as in put out an eye. I guess the damage or danger factor must come into play in my mind as far as definition is concerned.

We had mini-bikes and yet again they were not really considered toys because they could bust us up pretty bad. We had to learn safety (whether we were safe or not with them[X(]). Also a thought comes to mind that if anything can damage other people's property it rose above toy status as in the case of a baseball going through someone's window.

I guess for me, just because it is something that you don't need that has a danger factor does not make it a toy. More food for thought [8D]

Old 12-02-2012, 04:12 AM
siberianhusky

Hmmm I was always taught most everything follows the rules of physics as we currently understand them.
Perhaps the poster could provide a few examples of objects that DON'T follow the laws of physics?
Gotta find me some of them thar things that ain't follerin no lars of fisiks.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:18 AM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: siberianhusky

Hmmm I was always taught most everything follows the rules of physics as we currently understand them.
Perhaps the poster could provide a few examples of objects that DON'T follow the laws of physics?
Gotta find me some of them thar things that ain't follerin no lars of fisiks.
A Bee.

http://www.ftexploring.com/askdrg/askdrgalapagos.html

and also the Millenium Falcon.

A cute story.. my nephew is 5.. loves anything to do with space and is a budding astronomer..

One night we were looking at the moon with his telescope and I asked him..

Tom, how do people get to the moon?

He said, "With a ROCKET, but if they are in a hurry, the Millenium Falcon"

Old 12-02-2012, 05:23 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: perttime

Are you saying that ''it'' becomes a toy if it does not follow the principles of physics?

Mmmmmm, nice one, but name one thing that does NOT follow the laws of physics...

You migth have to rethink your definition of toys, while hilarious, it might be a bit out of what we call, wat do we call it? Oh, yeah: reality....

Gerry
Old 12-02-2012, 06:31 AM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

I started this thread and now 14 pages later... people have gotten off topic and taken this way to serious lol go play with our TOYS and eat,drink and be merry people.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:56 AM
spinnetti

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: blhollo2

I started this thread and now 14 pages later... people have gotten off topic and taken this way to serious lol go play with our TOYS and eat,drink and be merry people.

Are you kidding? this IS grumpy old nerd entertainment! ....... Off to the machine shop to make parts for toys...
Old 12-02-2012, 08:14 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: spinnetti

Are you kidding? this IS grumpy old nerd entertainment! .
Hey! No kidding here! This is a serious matter (more exclamation marks!)
Old 12-02-2012, 09:31 AM
vwpowered

They call this a toy..Well the FAA inspector called it a Nice Toy..I just said..Thanks

Worste part..I have more money in one of my Giant scale birds with a 100cc twin then I do this thing....But boy is she fun to fly..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVl6Afk9iuQ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.