Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

R/C Airplanes are not toys...

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

R/C Airplanes are not toys...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 06:26 PM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: R/C Airplanes are not toys...

ORIGINAL: quiltsfly

Blhollo2, I agree with you 100%, I say to my wife that I'am going to the garage to work on planes and she say, ''play with you planes''. I have put a stop to that, she is a quilter and I say to her are you going to play with your material and sewing machine, she got the point. I've been in the hobby for 20 years and have enjoyed every day if I fly or work on a plane.

Happy building with your HOBBY.
Quiltsfly

hahahah I feel your pain!! I think its the fact they say it in a negative or joking way lol discounting my Cool guy toys lol
Old 11-19-2012, 07:57 PM
psb667

toys.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:20 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm probably just a tad more involved in this hobby than most of you. I have been building model airplanes since 1949. I also flew full scale airplanes, some that could make a virgin quail puke. I also have quite a collection of firearms, and boats and cars. I love to play with them all.

Ahem.........They are all toys. Stop taking yourself and your hobbies so seriously. Life is a hoot, and you ain't gonna get out of it alive. Get over it.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 11-19-2012, 08:38 PM
turbo.gst
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Europe R/C is considered more of a sport than a hobby, unlike it is here in the US. To me, it is one of my favorite ways to spend my spare time. If people want to call it playing with "toys", that is fine with me as long as I still get to play with my toy airplanes!
Old 11-19-2012, 11:30 PM
Tluu
My Feedback: (85)

I guess pro athlete plays with toys also(balls). To me anything that involves skill to operate a fine tune equipment is consider a sport.....Hands eye coordination .
Old 11-20-2012, 01:09 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's true that pro-athletes play with their balls ... and it's true that my model planes are toys. AFAIAC, play, discovery and learning are synonyms.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:46 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

When does men playing with toys become a craft? I am thinking the guys that put all the work into flying IMAC might get disturbed at the "toy" thing. I can hear it now, "I am leaving for my toy IMAC competition now.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:18 AM
billd76
My Feedback: (3)

Toy maybe, but our toys can bite!!! Dont' ask how I know. But can send you some pics of my left thumb. I finally have my thumb nail back. My "toy" bit me on April 1st of this year. 60 stitches and filleted right across the tendon. Still flying and loving it though!!
Old 11-20-2012, 04:39 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: blhollo2

Well, some people who have no idea of the hobby of flying r/c airplanes think of them as toys.. but man, I tell you My wife and friends always says ''Are you going to go fly your toy planes today?'' and for some reason that Irks me. Even my co-workers say the same thing and chuckle and then I explain to them that these ''toys'' fly at 60-80mph and yeild 50cc gasoline engine and cost anywhere from $200-$1300.00 to build or assemble and have the ability to cut & chop fingers off or worse. Then they act like I'm a big kid..And I might be a big kid deep down inside and I enjoiy it! Am I the only one who has to correct their friends,family and coworkers on the hobby and go on light defense? Now I just laugh and tell them to come to my house and see the planes and when they do they are amazed and say ''WOW I though they were like small ''toys'' lol...oh well they dont know any better!

I enjoyed the hobby a lot more once I got over myself regarding the "toy" label. I have toys and I like playing with them, radio control, full scale and otherwise.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:22 AM
Gixxy
My Feedback: (18)

Just Big Boy Toys.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:22 AM
siberianhusky

Wikipedia says toys and so do I.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toy

Read the first three paragraphs. Toys! I also consider my dirtbikes, canoe, camera etc all toys. Expensive but toys. I don't make any money off of them, I pay to play with them. According to that definition of toys we are playing, going out with a group and socializing for enjoyment - playing! We go out an PLAY football or whatever floats your boat. We make the choice to go out and play with a scaled down flying/boating/driving toys.
I'm in my mid 40's and for a bit over 30 years I've looked forward to getting out and playing with my various rc toys every weekend with a group of like minded individuals.
Guitars no, I get payed to play with those. I just consider them a tool.
I'm a firm believer in "The difference between men and boys is the price of the toys (even the well built 2 legged type!)"
Old 11-20-2012, 05:26 AM
blhollo2

... I suppose you could call it a sport...the dictionary defines A Sport as

1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
2. a particular form of this, especially in the out of doors.
3. diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.
4. jest; fun; mirth; pleasantry: What he said in sport was taken seriously.
5. mockery; ridicule; derision
Old 11-20-2012, 05:28 AM
blhollo2

I told my wife she was my toy and she stated other wise lol followed by a few other choice words
Old 11-20-2012, 05:32 AM
blhollo2

When does men playing with toys become a craft? I am thinking the guys that put all the work into flying IMAC might get disturbed at the "toy" thing. I can hear it now, "I am leaving for my toy IMAC competition now.

According to some replys on here, some people see the IMAC competition as one big ole play party jamboree!
Old 11-20-2012, 05:47 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

What really BUGS me is when my RC Compatrites refer to FULL SCALE planes as REAL air planes. Our Models are just as REAL as the "FULL SCALE" Just smaller in Scale.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:05 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

THESE ARE TOYS. And Fun ones!

They are condescending you. If your wifes friend is male, he is nailing your wife. If she is female, its ok they like child like qualities in men.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:30 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

We spend way too much time worryiing about what other people think.  [:-]  And I thought the PC BS was bad.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:36 AM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, I'm just a big kid at heart and the only thing that separates my toys from my that of my grandkids is the price. So I don't take any offense to my 55lbs $15,000 plane being referred to as a toy. I'm just happy that I'm at a stage in my life that I can fully enjoy this hobby and all it has to offer me. [8D]
Old 11-20-2012, 08:51 AM
jessiej

I get the distinct feeling that those who object to their models, cars, bikes, guns etc. Being called "toys" either is lacking in self confidence or takes. Themselves far too seriously.

Jess
Old 11-20-2012, 09:15 AM
Mtthwacrss
My Feedback: (1)

They might be expensive and dangerous but yes they are toys, and I love them. I am just glad i can enjoy them. Who cares what other people call them as long as we get to build and fly them and have our fun. I am not going to get raped around the words people use to describe them. Yes my guns are my toys also. Just have fun and fly!!

Old 11-20-2012, 09:19 AM
warbird72
My Feedback: (79)

I have never seen a toy that needed 2 mil 5 hund K insurance on either.. That coment irks me as well.. Tell them to try it..A toy anyone can play with over and ouer.. But a plane only once. Then its cost more than a toy does.. Go figure..
Old 11-20-2012, 09:22 AM
RUMROLLER

Some toy airplanes make gun noises when the child pushes the button on the fuselage and runs around in circles in the room. Some toy airplanes fly half a world apart and gather intelligence, or act as judge, verdict, and executioner all in one. My toy airplanes have one purpose, to escape the stresses of life. For a short time nothing exist besides throttle, rudder, aileron, and elevator.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:24 AM
warbird72
My Feedback: (79)

Amennnn!!
Old 11-20-2012, 09:59 AM
Jackjet
My Feedback: (1)

the one who dies with the most toys is still DEAD...................

jackjet
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38359.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	1822058  
Old 11-20-2012, 10:07 AM
crossman

I have suggested that the mission statement for our club could be "Grown men playing with toys".

When I was a kid, my dad often referred to the tools and equipment in the garage as his "Toys". There are a lot of things out there that can hurt someone too. Even now, I am sure that he would place the "toy" label on his collection of 30's and 40's farm tractors. We have our planes to bring ourselves joy, who really cares what these other people think about them anyway?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.