Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: R/C Airplanes are not toys...

ORIGINAL: perttime

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

To me a toy guitar and a real guitar are very different things. I view them differently and do not call the professional guitar a toy. The same line of thought could fit RC planes. Must be my old school mentality
    I have a couple of moderately nice guitars ... and consider them toys.
    Why?
    Because to me they are a pleasant pastime, distraction (what were the other words that were mentioned to characterize toys?)

In the hands of a serious musician, they could certainly be considered as tools.

The same line of thought could fit RC planes....
    I used to play music a lot in bands. I played a Gibson Les Paul "fretless wonder". My dad was a professional musician for most of his life and had numerous hits back in the day. He was with Patsy Cline for about two years. One of dad's songs made Billboard four star rating. At any rate, one of the folks dad knew used to work for Martin guitars and retired from Martin after many years (I think it was 34 years). He built and designed many Martin guitars. His name was "W. C. Winemiller" and he built a beautiful guitar. Of course if you know about Martin guitars you already know the quality.

His nickname was "Bud" and he used to visit my dad when my dad was out on the road playing music. Bud only made a small number of guitars before he passed away. He asked my dad if he would like a guitar built for him. My dad said, yes. Bud told him to provide some special wood for this one since my dad already had a D28 Martin that he played. My dad found a soundboard out of an early 1800's steinway piano and gave it to Bud, I believe the wood was rosewood or something like that.

Bud made my dad a "W. C. Winemiller" one of a kind original and it was made from that very wood, with abilone pearl with my dad's name in abilone on the staff. It was used to record a number of songs in the studio because of the rich beautiful sound it has. It was the very last guitar that W. C. Winemiller made before he died within six months later. My dad passed a number of years ago and I have the Winemiller guitar today. Folks offered my dad a small fortune for the guitar and some have even tried to figure out what its value should be. With this one it aint' money .

I also have a Guild D50NT Dreadnought which is nice as well. I guess it is just me, but in my way of looking at it, the Winemiller is not a toy, nor the Guild. I think maybe I just don't understand what toys are. [8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

LOL My toy tmaxxes do to haha..
    How did that tree get there???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Love the truck on tracks Nice toy man

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bud made my dad a ''W. C. Winemiller'' one of a kind original and it was made from that very wood, with abilone pearl with my dad's name in abilone on the staff. It was used to record a number of songs in the studio because of the rich beautiful sound it has. It was the very last guitar that W. C. Winemiller made before he died within six months later. My dad passed a number of years ago and I have the Winemiller guitar today. Folks offered my dad a small fortune for the guitar and some have even tried to figure out what its value should be. With this one it aint' money .[8D]
    I'd consider that one a treasure and a historical artefact. Possibly other things too if it is still played.

... On the other hand, there are toys out there that are now considered treasures and historical artefacts. And I mean things like dolls and wooden cars.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well very nice!! regardless.. Cheers Ernie,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Some might think patriot missles are toys, too.
    The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.....

Here's a TOY in action.
    A dangerous toy, but a toy nonetheless....[link]http://youtu.be/4CKSH8lxQjw[/link]
    Toys provide recreation.
    The truck on tracks is sweet - roto rooter!

Maybe defining a toy is in the eyes of the one that has ownership of the device and the level of play involved? A sword could be considered a toy until someone chops a head off with it. A little plastic sword is usually considered a toy when children play with them.

One could surmise most anything that is not needed is a toy - space shuttle is an example of something not needed that is big and dangerous yet is still a toy. Not much different between a truck on dozer tracks except for a lot more money, people, metal and wires involved, etc.

When one of the toy RC jets flies through the side of someone's house or damages property, the land owner and the lawyers might have a different definition than a ''toy flew into his house and set it on fire.'' They would probably use, ''radio controlled device'' as a starting point and then end up with how this jet was nothing short of a missile.
    I have always looked at the space program as a toy of sorts for the public's amusement.
    There has been some practical uses and what not that have come from it, but for the most part it is a gigantic, frivolous, plaything for those who have a difficult time identifying a want from a need.
    WHO GUNNA FEED MAW KEEEIDS..???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How do you add pics here?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Toys!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[img][/img]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Im trying to put pics of my toyes here lol.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nl28886.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	150.2 KB 
ID:	1822278  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

that was wrong pic.. Mine isn't that nice haha.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: blhollo2

Heres what the dictionary defines as a ''toy''
    1. an object, often a small representation of something familiar, as an animal or person, for children or others to play with; plaything.
    2. a thing or matter of little or no value or importance; a trifle.
    3. something that serves for or as if for diversion, rather than for serious pratical use.
    4. a small article of little value but prized as a souvenir or for some other special reason; trinket; knickknack; bauble.
    5. something diminutive, especially in comparison with like objectsy says the defination of ''toy'' is

Basically,it is up to the person to how they determine what they consider a toy!!! and my R/C Airplanes Are not toys!! lol
    #3 applies to RC planes imho.

When I told my sister I build and fly airplanes see said: "Oh. A real airplane". I said "No - I can't afford a real airplane. And besides.....what practical use is a Cessna 172 or similar small aircraft to me?" It's inconceivable to my family members that I fly what they consider to be "toy airplanes". When I talk about RC airplanes with family members they get real quiet and have a blank expression on their faces. I translate this as saying: "Oh no - how can this grown man be flying toy airplanes".

However, my 3 grandchildren, boys 3,5, and 8 really love them!

"We’re retrieving the seed — then we’re done defending the humans."

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As one person pointed out. We all have a hard time figuring out need and want. Is a model aircraft a toy when it is used to help a person with some medical problem? Is a model aircraft a toy when it is used to look over a field of cotton or corn? Perhaps it is a toy when it is used to fill up space between doing things we need. Do we need to spend time in a debate with people we have never met over the idea of a model aircraft is a toy or not? Does a computer become a toy and RCU our runway? Not sure about any of this, but it is sure entertaining.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: koastrc

As one person pointed out. We all have a hard time figuring out need and want. Is a model aircraft a toy when it is used to help a person with some medical problem? Is a model aircraft a toy when it is used to look over a field of cotton or corn? Perhaps it is a toy when it is used to fill up space between doing things we need.
    If it is doing "work" it is not a toy.
    Checking out a field is work. I'd even say that a foamy IL-2, used in a TV drama to represent an attack on a train, is doing work.

Me flying a miniature aircraft for my own pleasure is not work. It is play.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: warbird72

http://images.rcuniverse.com/gallery.../lg-235674.jpg Here in my home built..
    WOW!! [X(]
    Nice toy...! No glow plugs to mess with, either.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My insurance company classes them as toys and charges me premiums for coverage accordingly. Who am I to argue ;-)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anything that is not a nessesity of life could be classified as a toy.. The deffinition of the word toy here i think is something you get fun from, enjoyment, you like it because you like it
    and that's why you like it..No other reason or justification nessesary..
    That could be anything, RC airplanes, just being one of these things one could derive Fun from, enjoyment.. Thats why I do RC planes, Motorcycles, building things etc. things I dont need to do but do for the Fun of it.. ok

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

"...Mr. Towns... a toy plane is something you wind up and it rolls along the floor. A model airplane is something totally different..."

Heinrich Dorfmann

Flight of the Phoenix 1965
    If its not a warbird, Its just a target.
    Balsa USA brotherhood #29

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

CP
    A go cart with air conditioning
    Larry K
    Sig Brotherhood # 1 Sig Kadet Brotherhood # 4 WACO Brotherhood #34 Cub Brotherhood 14

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Let me let you in on a little secret. They are toys. In fact I am going to break out my 110 inch wing span toy and fly it tomorrow morning before I eat some turkey.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Can you write it off as a business expense? Must be a toy.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: warbird72

Ibanez lol.. Your cool. Keep on rocken in the free world..
    NEIL!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

I have always looked at the space program as a toy of sorts for the public's amusement.
    There has been some practical uses and what not that have come from it, but for the most part it is a gigantic, frivolous, plaything for those who have a difficult time identifying a want from a need.
    Wow, CP, for the first time ever I have to disagree with you. Do you have any idea what the space program has brought to your life? Do you use a computer? A cell phone? Enjoy modern medical technology? "Miracle Materials", composites, the list could go on and on. And all for less then half a penny on the dollar of the national budget. Compare that to the cost of the Defense Department or the real killer, entitlements. Do you want to turn the mideast into glass or would you prefer to develop technology to improve the world?

Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dave, a lot of folks before us led wonderful lives without all the things you listed. Just because more people are living longer than before doesn't mean that they are living more fullfilling lives, nor does it mean that their quality of life thanks to modern heroic medicine is all that great.
    I wouldn't trade my time on Earth with ANYONE born into today's USofA.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast