Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

R/C Airplanes are not toys...

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

R/C Airplanes are not toys...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 09:06 AM
cfircav8r
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: R/C Airplanes are not toys...

Are you planing on flying that thing non stop to San Diego? Aren't you afraid your Tx batteries will die before you run out of fuel?
Old 11-27-2012, 09:38 AM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i made this thread out of boredom lol 8 pages later...
Old 11-27-2012, 09:41 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Naw had a 3000 Nimh strapped on the back of the tranny Gives all the time needed. That was a fifty mile cruze down the Colorado River with one planned stop. And If I survice the med folks cutting out a Kidney Grimlin out in the next few weeks the next one will be an open ocean crossing this coming summer to Avelon.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11239869/tm.htm

John
Old 11-27-2012, 01:26 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And it's still boring!!!
Old 11-27-2012, 03:02 PM
600Bob

Full scale airplanes are not toys.
RC aircraft are functional models.
Toy airplanes are what you give to children to play with in the house.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:23 PM
nute12
My Feedback: (14)

ah geez... they are toys....you buy em for enjoyment, not for work or making money .....just cause ya aint a kid, and it does have a danger factor does not mean it is not a toy. now if you buy em to put to work they are no longer a toy.
they are advanced for SOME kids. (lil nintendo generation varmints still tick me off with their skill on these things) hell my harley is a toy....only useful purpose it has is puttin a smile on my face. old saying goes... only difference tween men and boys is the price of their toys.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:09 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I think it's time for either Dr Phil or Oprah to settle this.
I'm sure both of them would see people who have "issues" here............
Old 11-27-2012, 04:11 PM
nute12
My Feedback: (14)

combatpigg......i still fly a ole gremlin with a tt40 on it.....lets tear up some ribbons.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:27 PM
brenthampton79

tomato tomoto, who cares what other people think anyway, if you like it do it. I think this is sad this subject is one of the hot subjects on RCU. If you care about what people think then like really you might still be living in high school or a little to worried about something that doesn't matter. If you want to insult your wife for liking stones dug out of the ground or inform her that she spreads bat crap on her eye lashes to impress the other girls then go ahead, gotta keep it real everynow and then but the best way to irritate them is to just not give a rats butt what they say and keep smiling and say yup gonna go play with my toys see ya later.

I mean this crap irks my butt because people really think they are that special that woah your awsome you fly a model plane real one or whatever. And the general public don't even care or know who the best of our little group is. If you don't beleive me walk up to a complete stranger in the mall and ask them who Sean D. Tucker is? of course we all know who he is but the general public doesn't know or care. Does anyone know who the national unlimited aerobatic champ is this year? I do but several on here won't without googling it. so quit fretting about it and go play with your toys or models you pick. Its your hobby no theirs
Old 11-27-2012, 04:30 PM
warbird addict

Now theres one point I totally agree with !!

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

I'm sure both of them would see people who have ''issues'' here............
Old 11-27-2012, 04:42 PM
combatpigg

ORIGINAL: warbird addict

Now theres one point I totally agree with !!

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

I'm sure both of them would see people who have ''issues'' here............
Do you keep a log book of all your "sorties"..?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki17987.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	1824239  
Old 11-27-2012, 04:44 PM
CGRetired

Kind of like "facebook". Who really cares. Good point there, brenthampton79. Is "this" where we are going? Why does it matter? Toy. Tool. Hobby. Whatever. Let's grow up a bit and move on. You said exactly what I've been thinking throughout 9 pages of this.

Good grief.

CGr.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:18 PM
easystar123

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

hi everyone, ive really enjoyed reading through everyones point of view on whether it is a toy or isnt a toy lol. everyone has there own different outlook on this great hobby of ours. im in a club but i also do a lot of float flying on a lake beside home and its next door to a golf club. i get people coming up to me all the time and asking all kinds of different questions relating to the plane. one person asked me what fun i get out of it, i noticed that he had a lot of alcihol taken so was trying to be a bit clever. i told him that no two flights were the same and that it was a challenge to get a good take off from the water, followed by a good smooth flight and the best and most rewarding bit of all , having a really nice smooth landing and taking the plane home in one piece lol. i told him like i tell everyone else that these are not toys, that i need to have insurance to fly in case of an accident, crashing into someone, or someones property. also i tell people that it gives me a great buzz , the same same buzz that a man would get from playing golf or football or going for a days fishing. ive been flying 26 years and most woman when they pass me bye will always comment, BOYS AND THEIR TOYS LOL. to which i always have a good laugh and never take it seriously. its just the way other people view our hobby and im fine with it at the same time knowing that these planes are a lot more than just a toy and we have to have the utmost of respect for them at all times for safe flying.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:19 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

As a kid growing up into my teens our family owned several full scale airplanes, and we always considered them to be toys, especially when we were out barnstorming and carving through the canyons and so on...

Bob
Old 11-27-2012, 05:21 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: 600Bob

Full scale airplanes are not toys.
Toy airplanes are what you give to children to play with in the house.
Some of us fly our toy R/C airplanes and helicopters in the house LOL. Just couldn't resist.

Bob

Old 11-27-2012, 05:28 PM
brenthampton79

to the comment about full scale planes

I considered our pitts s1s a toy since it was for pleasure and had no functional use other than that
now the airtractors are work machines and the citabria is a toy on some days and when used to scout fields its a tool

thanks cgr thats my point who gives a rip lets move on and PLAY!!!!
Old 11-27-2012, 09:20 PM
psb667

nothin busts up a heli like the china cabinet
Old 11-27-2012, 11:42 PM
combatpigg

ORIGINAL: brenthampton79

to the comment about full scale planes

I considered our pitts s1s a toy since it was for pleasure and had no functional use other than that
now the airtractors are work machines and the citabria is a toy on some days and when used to scout fields its a tool

thanks cgr thats my point who gives a rip lets move on and PLAY!!!!
The Pitts has no functional use..? How about remaking some of those old Charlie Chaplin movies..?
Old 11-28-2012, 01:12 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Now, to add a whole new dimension to this conversation, I saw a sign at the local 7-Eleven tonight on my way to work. It was advertising a "Professional Grade" metal bodied R/C helicopter for around $40. When I laughed at the sign, the clerk asked "What's so funny?" I had to reply "I have servos that cost more than that as well as $1,500 scale hydroplanes and not one of them is considered any thing other than hobby grade." I then followed that with "The only professional grade R/Cs that I know of are the Predator drones used by the military." His reaction was priceless: a blank, lost stare showing he didn't comprehend what I was telling him
Old 11-28-2012, 01:32 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: 600Bob
That raises another somewhat related question:

To me, a model is something that mimics an original.
A 1/144 size plastic representation of a Spitfire that flew in Battle of Britain is a model. So is a flying 1/5 size F-16 mimicking a Tiger Meet scheme of the Belgian 31sqn.

Is an F3D Pylon racer or a featherlight indoor rubber duration plane a model, even if it does not look like any man-carrying aircraft that ever existed?

I'd prefer to call it a miniature aircraft.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:07 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

ORIGINAL: jester_s1 I suppose it depends on if it's meant as an insult. Some people would equate it to a grown man going outside and playing with Tonka trucks. That would imply immaturity and a simple mind. To those people, I would explain that it's a hobby, every bit as demanding as many other things that men do for fun like hunting, golf, racing, woodworking, etc. But if it's meant as a joke then yes, I'm a little boy who goes out and spends all day playing with his toys!
I hear you, jester_s1, I can relate to your humor about the little boy in all of us. Some people just can't seem to say something without putting in their digs. I just let it fly past me. I enjoy having fun with my toys.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:10 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hydro Junkie Now, to add a whole new dimension to this conversation, I saw a sign at the local 7-Eleven tonight on my way to work. It was advertising a ''Professional Grade'' metal bodied R/C helicopter for around $40. When I laughed at the sign, the clerk asked ''What's so funny?'' I had to reply ''I have servos that cost more than that as well as $1,500 scale hydroplanes and not one of them is considered any thing other than hobby grade.'' I then followed that with ''The only professional grade R/Cs that I know of are the Predator drones used by the military.'' His reaction was priceless: a blank, lost stare showing he didn't comprehend what I was telling him
I treasure those deer in the headlights looks!
Old 11-28-2012, 04:18 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

tomato tomoto, who cares what other people think anyway, if you like it do it. I think this is sad this subject is one of the hot subjects on RCU. If you care about what people think then like really you might still be living in high school or a little to worried about something that doesn't matter. If you want to insult your wife for liking stones dug out of the ground or inform her that she spreads bat crap on her eye lashes to impress the other girls then go ahead, gotta keep it real everynow and then but the best way to irritate them is to just not give a rats butt what they say and keep smiling and say yup gonna go play with my toys see ya later.

I mean this crap irks my butt because people really think they are that special that woah your awsome you fly a model plane real one or whatever. And the general public don't even care or know who the best of our little group is. If you don't beleive me walk up to a complete stranger in the mall and ask them who Sean D. Tucker is? of course we all know who he is but the general public doesn't know or care. Does anyone know who the national unlimited aerobatic champ is this year? I do but several on here won't without googling it. so quit fretting about it and go play with your toys or models you pick. Its your hobby no theirs
I don't know Sean Tucker and I fly RC planes. Just stating
BTW....my planes are not toys [X(]

I think it is cool how an undefined topic such as "toy" airplanes falls to the perception of the individual. If a person considers RC planes as toys, then to him they are toys. The one that considers them model RC planes, to him they are models, and so on it goes. It really all depends on your definition of a toy.

Ok, let me go fly my toy, not toy, toy, not toy, toy, not toy, planes now [X(]
Old 11-28-2012, 04:46 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

I don't know Sean Tucker and I fly RC planes. Just stating
BTW....my planes are not toys [X(]

I think it is cool how an undefined topic such as ''toy'' airplanes falls to the perception of the individual. If a person considers RC planes as toys, then to him they are toys. The one that considers them model RC planes, to him they are models, and so on it goes. It really all depends on your definition of a toy.

Ok, let me go fly my toy, not toy, toy, not toy, toy, not toy, planes now [X(]
And let's not forget those that consider their toys "works of art" or "museum quality pieces". Pus there are others that should consider their toys "accidents waiting to happen..." We all know one or two like that...

Gerry
Old 11-28-2012, 04:46 AM

Santy Claus is bringin' me a new Synergy N5C nitro helicopter.
Does he deliver anything but toys?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.