Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

R/C Airplanes are not toys...

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

R/C Airplanes are not toys...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 09:37 PM
straitnickel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: R/C Airplanes are not toys...

I don't call them toys or playing. I'm in this alone. as for family they see it as a waist of time and money all they ask is how much did that cost or did you crash it, this pisses me off. I supply the roof over their head as well as food in their stomach pay all the bills with no help from my working spouse. which they all take for granted. I'm going to fly my planes because it's what I enjoy and I like being around other fellows enjoying this hobby also. In this hobby calling planes a toy is a derogative so try not to let that get to you.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:45 AM
siberianhusky

Some of you people must have made horrible life choices! I can't imagine being stuck with somebody who doesn't respect/support me or my hobbies. Must really suck going home to that every day of your life!
Old 11-22-2012, 07:52 AM
TheNewKid

I don't feel the need to justify ANYTHING I enjoy to ANYBODY. I provide a home, food, clothing,use ofvehiclesetc. to my "significant other", and ask very little in return, beyond love and loyalty, plus ordinary houshold duties. My entire home is my "man cave", as I see fit. I feel I have earned the right to haveall the things I enjoy, most of which I refer to jokingly as my toys. I share all of my hobbies (which are many) with my lady, and she enjoys most of them also. I have a truly great relationship !! It is a shame that somepeople feelthat they needto explain and justify things that they enjoy to other people. Yes, along with many other things,my planes are toys !!

>>>>> TheNewKid
Old 11-22-2012, 09:42 AM
FuzzyDice
My Feedback: (6)

Ihave a full scale and your planes are fine examples of a COPY ofa FULLSCALE ...........Ihave had 3 friends die in FULL scale.
all we are out as modellers is money and some damaged pride . I love my toy planes too .
Old 11-22-2012, 12:50 PM
warbird addict

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone Now I'm going to throw my TOY Turkey In My Toy Oven And burn the hell out of it then eat it on my Toy Plate with my Toy Silverware !!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-22-2012, 02:52 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: warbird addict

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone Now I'm going to throw my TOY Turkey In My Toy Oven And burn the hell out of it then eat it on my Toy Plate with my Toy Silverware !!!!!!!!!!
If you eat your turkey and nothing comes out your other end within 48 hours, then it was definitely a "Toy turkey". It had no practical purpose other than to entertain your palette.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:51 AM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: at101

my thought process is that if you bought it at Wal-mart or Target then it is a toy
another thing is on the box for one of my planes it says ''This is not a toy''
ÃŽ have found the same warning on many items, such as plastic bags. A m I to gather that shotguns, power tools, and lawn mowers. from Wall. Mart are toys ?

Jess
Old 11-23-2012, 12:12 PM
kiwibob72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Toys" are what little children play with.
Even if you can get toy versions that are INTENDED FOR CHILDREN, guns are not toys, they are weapons. Real cars are not toys, matches and fire are not toys, dynamite is not a toy just as my model aircraft are in no way intended for little children, and thus is not a toy. What they are is model aircraft that I, as an grown adult, use for enjoyment and passing time in the hobby I have.

Again this whole thread is off on differing tangents, where folks with a whole raft of differing opinions (like the one I just wrote above) just have to post them as they are sure that they are right. For the most part though, there is no right or wrong answer as your opinion is your opinion, and you are entitled to it just like I am to mine - the kicker is that no one said anyone ever had to 'agree' with other's opinions, as that is what makes us human, we can think for ourselves.

So after all this is said and done, I'll see you gun totting, toy sport's car driving, toy model flying inbred six fingered backwards odd bod weirdo's at the field, where we will put any differing opinions aside like we always do, and just get out and enjoy flying out model/toy aircraft together and have some fun with this hobby/sport. Though no guns please - we have seriously strict laws attaining to them down here in little old NZ!
Old 11-23-2012, 03:08 PM
combatpigg

If you use it STRICTLY for fun, amusement, entertainment and for no practical purpose, it's a toy.
Even if you make a little money showing it off it can STILL be considered a toy.
It makes no difference how dangerous it is, both children and adults are maimed or killed by their toys every day.
It's time to get a grip on reality and to see what we do for what it is really worth.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:24 PM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not so much the word "toys", it's the inference, mostly spoken out of ignorance by women, that grown men should not by playing with "toys". I think that those women are jealous because some of us may give more attention to our "toys" than to them.

Fliers1
Old 11-23-2012, 05:46 PM
combatpigg

I know a couple guys who put this hobby on the "back burner" so they could provide their families with more of their own time and more goodies, like vacations, sports events and trips to here and there. Totally unselfish and admirable of them.
For those who can't find this sort of balance in their private lives...the term "TOY" might strike a nerve....?
Old 11-23-2012, 07:45 PM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: fliers1

It's not so much the word ''toys'', it's the inference, mostly spoken out of ignorance by women, that grown men should not by playing with ''toys''. I think that those women are jealous because some of us may give more attention to our ''toys'' than to them.

Fliers1
Probably so.
I'm lucky, tho.
My wife counsels people with all sorts of weird hangups.
Drug and alcohol addictions, self-mutilators, people that eat their own flesh, you name it, she's seen it.
She thinks my TOYS are good therapy for me.
I believe her.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:19 AM
fliers1

I'm very lucky myself. My wife of 42 years is extremely supportive of my addiction to the hobby/sport. She has never use the word "toy" for my RC aircraft. She has her own hobbies, such as gardening, quilting and cooking.

I knew of a guy whose wife put down his hobby big time and got on his case every time he brought home another airplane. She called his airplanes not only toys, but his "junk". Funny thing, she had a $5000 doll collection and thought nothing of bringing home more dolls. lol

Obviously, family first, but I'm talking about how some people show a bit of ignorance about the worth of our hobby/sport.

Fliers1
Old 11-24-2012, 06:42 AM
ARUP

I love my toys! Some even come with dolls! I even get to make their clothes to make 'em look old timey or whatever! LOL
Old 11-24-2012, 08:23 AM
chashint

The amount of anger that is evoked in some of you by someone calling a RC airplane a toy (which it most certainly is) is just mind boggling.
Same thing happens when someone says they built an ARF and the "kit builders" get their panties all wadded up.
Only your own insecurities or superiority complex can be the root cause of this angst.
The problem lies not with those who see men playing/building toy/model airplane, it lies with those who think this hobby/sport/activity is something other than that.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:51 AM
kiwibob72

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

If you use it STRICTLY for fun, amusement, entertainment and for no practical purpose, it's a toy...........
Over my younger (single) years, I had 'girlfriends' that I placed into the "fun, amusement, entertainment and for no practical purpose" category, never classed them as "toys" though .... ditsy, easy and a whole raft of other terms yes ..... but "toy" .... NO.

I guess that was because they were a grown ups play thing, and not intended for use by children in that manner!
Old 11-24-2012, 12:24 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ARUP your airplane that appears to be a longhorn Bristol boxkite (please correct me if I am wrong) is absolutely brilliant and thanks for the picture.

As far as what we call them among ourselves I could not give a rats holler and there is no wrong terminology. We actually are free to call them anything that appeals to each individual.

There is at least one situation however that I have discovered, using the referance to toys or adult toys will indeed work aginst us and that is when dealing with any governmental entity Federal, State, City or something as simple as the chamber of commerce. Dealing with any of the above the referance to toys and especially adult toys will most certainly put a damper on any attempt to use parks or try to get help on flying sites.

Soccer fields or skate board tracks sure but adult toys, no way. Model airplane hobbiest or calling the flying of our aircraft a sport however does tend to smooth the way and certainly did in our local case.

John

Old 11-24-2012, 05:55 PM
combatpigg

ORIGINAL: kiwibob72

If you use it STRICTLY for fun, amusement, entertainment and for no practical purpose, it's a toy...........
Over my younger (single) years, I had 'girlfriends' that I placed into the ''fun, amusement, entertainment and for no practical purpose'' category, never classed them as ''toys'' though .... ditsy, easy and a whole raft of other terms yes ..... but ''toy'' .... NO.

I guess that was because they were a grown ups play thing, and not intended for use by children in that manner!
My girl friends were as much toys to me as I was a toy to them. that's why if the relationship evolves beyond that stage, we call it...."serious".
I wonder what Deputy Barney Fife would have to say about this..?
I could just see Thelma Lou ask him if he planned on spending all day with his toy planes or with her..?
Barney would get a real serious look on his face and tell her, "Dang it Thelma Lou, these aren't TOYS!! These are highly sophisticated miniature aircraft..!!!![>:]"
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85518.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	1823502  
Old 11-24-2012, 06:18 PM
ARUP

Combatpigg... too funny! I can just visualize Barney right now!
John B, you are correct in the assessment concerning gov't and etc. There is an image that needs to be portrayed that evokes some semblance of professionalism. The 'Boxkite' is a sports version by my own plans and it flies! The little dollie... I mean... pilot moves with the controls including throttle. The outer panels unplug for transport. There is a pushrod that has to be disconnected once the wing starts to get separated each side.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:28 PM
kwblake

I could just see Thelma Lou ask him if he planned on spending all day with his toy planes or with her..?
Barney would get a real serious look on his face and tell her, "Dang it Thelma Lou, these aren't TOYS!! These are highly sophisticated miniature aircraft..!!!![>:]"
[/quote]

Combatpigg
You just dated yourself. And a good number of us. Getting a visual of Barney saying that now!!! Great old show.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:01 PM
combatpigg

The characters in that show were all so well done, Goober, Gomer, the town drunk, the angry brick throwing hermit, etc.. We have a channel that has re-runs of those old shows.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:57 PM
kiwibob72

Not really too sure if I can answer that specific question, as while I know the face in your post (Donn Knotts or something right??), I don't know the character, perhaps that show didn't play down here in it's day, or else I'm just not old enough to have seen it when it did.

Perhaps that's why I can actually remember that my ex's were not 'toys' suitable for kids, and that even though I got "serious" with one or three, that my generation didn't feel the social necessity to settle down right away with 2 and a half kids and the good ol' white picket fence just cause we did get a little serious! (as I am now, though it was only ever me, my wife & one kid, and my house/area does not suit an old fashioned picket fence!)
Old 11-24-2012, 07:57 PM
bikerbc

Our model aircraft are toys ..If we feel embarased about playing with them we shouldn't play with them..If it wasn't this that they were bugging you about it would be somthing else so why worry about it..There is no way I would ever let somebody ruin this wonderfull hobby for me..I would use that as an opportunity to try and show off a bit and maybe help them to see how much fun I am having that they are missing...Or just ignore them ...Although I hate to say it , it is hard to say that guns are not toys when there are games like paint ball that are so popular...It is kind of scary how easy and fun it is getting to point guns and shoot at each other...I will stick to flying my planes ..
Old 11-25-2012, 12:42 AM
straitnickel

Ok, how about this, it's OK to call them toys as long as it was not ment to be a negative remark.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:36 AM
fliers1

Exactly!! It's OK to call them toys when it's not meant as an insult. I imagine some of us may be a bit too thin skinned, but the toy insult also may tend to scare others away from participating.

Fliers1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.