Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

R/C Airplanes are not toys...

Well, some people who have no idea of the hobby of flying r/c airplanes think of them as toys.. but man, I tell you My wife and friends always says "Are you going to go fly your toy planes today?" and for some reason that Irks me. Even my co-workers say the same thing and chuckle and then I explain to them that these "toys" fly at 60-80mph and yeild 50cc gasoline engine and cost anywhere from $200-$1300.00 to build or assemble and have the ability to cut & chop fingers off or worse. Then they act like I'm a big kid..And I might be a big kid deep down inside and I enjoiy it! Am I the only one who has to correct their friends,family and coworkers on the hobby and go on light defense? Now I just laugh and tell them to come to my house and see the planes and when they do they are amazed and say "WOW I though they were like small "toys" lol...oh well they dont know any better!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: R/C Airplanes are not toys...

I don't even try to correct them. They wouldn't understand anyways. So I just go fly my TOY AIRPLANES and have a ball doing it.
    DX-7,RDS8000. big Bingo,1/4 Scale Cub, SeaMaster 120, Forget the health food, I need all the preservatives I can get

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I understand. It kind of bugs me also. On one hand, I think about a saying from back in my bike days. " If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand " Most of the people I associate with understand mechanical stuff, so I tell them about my Saito 100. What kind of RPM is involved, the fact that it is one cubic inch in displacement, and that it makes close to 2 horsepower. Also I may pull out a magazine and show them some of the radials or jet engines. They usually get it.
    Kevin

Club Saito Member #780

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Of course R/C airplanes are toys

... as long as you are not making a living out of them they are. So are motorbikes, sportscars, man-carrying airplanes, and guns used for target shooting.
    That doesn't mean that you don't need to treat them with some skill and respect.

Now go and play with your toy airplanes

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Of course R/C airplanes are toys

... as long as you are not making a living out of them they are. So are motorbikes, sportscars, man-carrying airplanes, and guns used for target shooting.
    That doesn't mean that you don't need to treat them with some skill and respect.

Now go and play with your toy airplanes
    Theres always one in the bunch lol couldnt help yourself!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yeah lately i just pull up youtube and show them some giant scale and 40 size videos and it enlightens them to the dark side lol

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: blhollo2
    Theres always one in the bunch lol couldnt help yourself!
    What? Do you actually think your toy airplanes are not toys Please explain.

Hint:
    Size, expense, speed, and potential danger don't disqualify things as TOYS.

The one who dies with the most toys wins!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Different dictionaries have different thoughts but small items always come into play. "Small" is relative. I have a small tree in my yard. I have a LARGE tree in my yard. They are both TREES!

I have been into the TOY airplanes since 1940, even maybe earlier, as I was born in early 1936. I don't give a small rodent's posterior what "they" call my "TOYS".
    Model airplanes ARE my toys. I spent 41 years driving 1:1 scale, but my toys were more important. The big things allowed me to hit the Hobby Shops, mail order houses, and get to the flying field.
    Do I really get serious about my "TOYS". Yes I do. I never cared for owning my own 1:1 scale airplane. I wanted only my toys. Heck, some 17 years ago I wrote a check for $250,000.00 so a club could own a flying field. Could I afford such? Nope, but toys are inportant to me. Don't worry as I have been repaid most of that so was it worth it? YEP!

I always refer to my models as "My Toy airplanes." I am too old to worry about what anyone else thinks. I have no concern about what others do as long as they don't bother that which is mine. What they call me is also immaterial, but just be careful talking about my grandchildren! [:@]

My model airplanes are MY TOYS and so they will forever be so.
    Horrace Cain AMA L-93

“Peace is the brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.\" T. Jefferson

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Grumpy Jenkins campaigned a string of 500-600 HP Pro Stockers for 20 some years and they were all named "Grumpy's Toy"
    Don Garlits as well as uncountable others referred to their dragsters as toys. These 1/4 mile cars claimed quite a few lives over the years. Some of these cars made some guys [a select few] a handsome living and would therefore be considered more like "tools"..[if you want to get anal about definitions] .
    In reality, very few guys made enough money at this to consider their cars as anything more than really expensive toys.
    I consider all of my RC planes to be toys, no matter how fast and dangerous they might be.
    WHO GUNNA FEED MAW KEEEIDS..???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

All my guns were toys, all my race cars were toys, all my motor cycles were toys and all my airplanes are toys, no big deal. No one is going to call them scale aircrafts. I just refer to them as planes. The toy thing has never bothered me, I'm just a big kid that likes his toys. They just cost more then the toys of a little kid. The old adage of the difference between a man and a boy is just the costs of there toys fits quite well. Live with it, those that aren't into it will always look at a hobby as playing with toys. I often tell my wife I am heading out to play. No big deal, they are toys. They keep me out of the bars and strip clubs so my wife thinks they are great toys.
    Go out and play, don't worry about what they are called.
    Drinking and driving are illegal, why do bars have parking lots
    Daisy Air Guns, keeping kids off your lawn for 100 years

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I suppose it depends on if it's meant as an insult. Some people would equate it to a grown man going outside and playing with Tonka trucks. That would imply immaturity and a simple mind. To those people, I would explain that it's a hobby, every bit as demanding as many other things that men do for fun like hunting, golf, racing, woodworking, etc. But if it's meant as a joke then yes, I'm a little boy who goes out and spends all day playing with his toys!
    No kid, I said break ground and fly into the wind!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just a matter of semantics. There was a thread just like thison RCGroups that basically turned into an all out war and got the OP banned for a little while. The only time I bristle is when some joker calls firearms toys! A firearm should never, EVER, be thought of as any type of plaything. To do so is irresposible at best.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes, they are toys and I've been playing with them for some 70+ years and will continue to do so for hopefully many more.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Chucksolo69

The only time I bristle is when some joker calls firearms toys!

A firearm that is not used for hunting, defence, or the more martial duties is a toy.
    Any firearm should be handled with skill and respect. Just like a car, motorcycle or an aircraft (whether miniature or man-carrying).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

my thought process is that if you bought it at Wal-mart or Target then it is a toy
    another thing is on the box for one of my planes it says "This is not a toy"
    If you have RC as a hobby and you are ever bored than it is YOUR OWN FAULT
    AMA# 964821

ORIGINAL: perttime
    What? Do you actually think your toy airplanes are not toys Please explain.

[/quote]

Ok 'Therapy'
    \"Keep your controllines tight\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeh, I get that with my '23 T Bucket.  Blown 355 Chevy with 12 pounds of boost on her, 1500 lb. car that does 0 - 60 in 2.3 seconds with 15" Goodyears on it.  People, (mostly women) come up and say, "that's such a cute car".   Yeh, woman, sit yer azz down in this seat and I'll have you crapping all over yourself in less than 500'! 
    I guess it's all a matter of conception.    I'd say my planes are toys.  Just like that Ginsu knife in the kitchen drawer.  Let your 3 year old play with that!  (a matter of comparison - please do not try at home - handled by a real toy person on a profession course)
    Intelligence is similar to a dress code. Dont attend a black tie affair wearing cutoffs and a tank top. Know your facts

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The difference between a man and a boy, is the price of the toys.[8D]
    Keep your wings level
    Club Saito Member #693

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Heres what the dictionary defines as a "toy"
    1. an object, often a small representation of something familiar, as an animal or person, for children or others to play with; plaything.
    2. a thing or matter of little or no value or importance; a trifle.
    3. something that serves for or as if for diversion, rather than for serious pratical use.
    4. a small article of little value but prized as a souvenir or for some other special reason; trinket; knickknack; bauble.
    5. something diminutive, especially in comparison with like objectsy says the defination of "toy" is

Basically,it is up to the person to how they determine what they consider a toy!!! and my R/C Airplanes Are not toys!! lol

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I suppose it depends on if it's meant as an insult. Some people would equate it to a grown man going outside and playing with Tonka trucks. That would imply immaturity and a simple mind. To those people, I would explain that it's a hobby, every bit as demanding as many other things that men do for fun like hunting, golf, racing, woodworking, etc. But if it's meant as a joke then yes, I'm a little boy who goes out and spends all day playing with his toys!
    You sir, hit the nail right on the head!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: blhollo2

Heres what the dictionary defines as a ''toy''
    1. an object, often a small representation of something familiar, as an animal or person, for children or others to play with; plaything.
    2. a thing or matter of little or no value or importance; a trifle.
    3. something that serves for or as if for diversion, rather than for serious pratical use.
    4. a small article of little value but prized as a souvenir or for some other special reason; trinket; knickknack; bauble.
    5. something diminutive, especially in comparison with like objectsy says the defination of ''toy'' is

Basically,it is up to the person to how they determine what they consider a toy!!! and my R/C Airplanes Are not toys!! lol
    It is pretty clear, then, which definition you choose to ignore.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

They serve no practical use..... they're toys.
    Yours are toys, mine are toys.

Don't believe me? Ask the old lady what they are. She'll let you know.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

NO TOYS ?

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A CHILD AND A MAN IS .... THE PRICE OF THEIR TOYS !
    Rafa.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

They are positively toys.

Bob
    Fly It Like You Stole It!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was always under the impression that TOYS were something you could give to a child so that he/ she could amuse themselves without much supervision or fear of them injuring themselves, (IE) no sharp edges , no small parts to be broken off and swallowed, no motorized moving parts to to fetch up and grind or pinch little fingers etc. etc.
    to me the term TOY implies something that is used for amusement but has been deemed fairly if not completely harmless to the user, with that said I really don't believe that anyone here would hand one of their planes to their 5 YO grandkid and say here have at it, ANYTHING capable of causing severe injury and or death is anything BUT a TOY and should be respected as such.
    However it all depends on the end users definition of toy in that am I able to make money with it or do I depend on it to make a living etc. etc.

Plaything for a child or infant. Toys survive from the remote past and from a great variety of cultures. They range from the simple to the complex, from a stick or piece of string that becomes a toy in a child's hands to complex mechanical and electronic devices. Perennial favorites include balls, jump ropes, dolls, drums, whistles, dice, jackstones, board games, marbles, play weapons, and costumes. In the modern era the toy industry has grown tremendously, especially with the advent of computer games.

\"Q\" If you could have one super power what would it be?
    \"A\" The ability to leap tall blondes without them screaming

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast