Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Cold Weather Gloves

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 09:02 AM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cold Weather Gloves

Are there any gloves available that can be worn during cold weather to hold your transmitter without interfering with your flying? Dan.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:26 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Cold Weather Gloves

I've thought about giving it a try..to make my own.
The main idea is to route a heat element wire in a loop throughout the glove and then run just enough current through the wire to make a difference. The wire itself would work harden and break over time if it was inside work gloves, but flying gloves would get less abuse.
I think stainless aircraft safety wire, a D cell battery and an adjustable current regulating IC are what I'm going to try fitted to a pair of "mechanics" gloves.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:40 PM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just cut off the tips of the thumb and first finger of a pair of heavy cotton gloves since I fly with a tray. If you fly thumbs only, the you just need a small hole in the thumb of each glove.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:43 PM
All Day Dan

Thank you, you two. Since I fly with my thumbs, the extra thickness of the gloves I have tried disturbs my touch that I am used to too much. There are heated gloves available but none that will fit my needs. I know about the transmitter covers but I am not ready to take the plunge for one of them. Maybe there is something else out there. Dan.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:55 AM
beepee

I have a pair of running gloves that are great for knocking the chill without desensitizing my fingers. They are knit and fit close to the skin and should work well.

Bedford
Old 12-29-2012, 05:12 PM
All Day Dan

Running gloves? I never heard of them. Good recommendation beepee. I'll give them a try. Dan.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:46 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Dan, you planning on going flying somewhere cold?
Old 12-29-2012, 07:10 PM
All Day Dan

I was waiting for someone to notice where I live. Yes, I’m in “sunny†southern California near Los Angeles and I’m not going to destroy that well known myth. But between you and me, it does get cold here, at least by our standards. The field I fly at is 55 miles east of Los Angeles in what used to be a desert. It is still a desert but it is now covered by homes and an occasional flood control basin. The field is in one of those basins and during a winter morning, it is around forty at sunrise. Don’t call me a wimp because holding the transmitter is like holding a block of ice. Where are the gloves? Dan.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:05 PM
scale only 4 me

LOL Dan,, I lived here 43 years,, I'm here in Orange visiting family right now as a matter of fact,, it is chilly this week, just teasing ya.
I go back to the "cold" next week
Old 12-29-2012, 08:26 PM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

Might try a pair of heated socks with holes cut for the fingers.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:15 PM
Rod Robbins

I can usually handle cold temps when flying except when there's also a wind at the field. Must be the "wind chill" thing...

FWIW: This year I've been using one of these things from Hobby King:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ap_Ready_.html

Only $13 plus s&h. They look a little geeky but they work very well at shielding your hands from the cold wind.
They fit most any TX, have a large clear plastic window that makes it very easy to see everything on your radio, have plenty of room inside to operate all the controls, switches, knobs, etc. They've also got a small hole towards the top of the clear plastic "window" for the antenna to poke through.

(Dang, I just noticed that they're currently on back order.)

Regards,
Rod
Old 12-30-2012, 04:01 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If we had 40 degree weather, I'd wear shorts and a T-shirt.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:20 AM
scale only 4 me

I know right,,, if it gets up to 40 guys start riding their motorcycles to work again.

Looks like I'll be back to working the snowthrower in a few days
Old 12-30-2012, 07:47 AM
dirtybird

Take an old sweater and stick the antenna out one of the arm holes. Then you can reach up inside the bottom of the sweater to the controls. It keeps your fingers warm and dry. No gloves required.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:21 PM
All Day Dan

My wife is going to design a transmitter mit for me. If it works out I'll post it on RCU. Thanks for the inputs including the funny ones. dan.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:56 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm with you on the normally hot places being too stinkin' cold. Here in Texas we've had about 5 days of 30 degree weather. It would be ok if any of us owned the thick coats and wool pants and insulated boots (any of us besides hunters that is) to deal with the cold, but my leather jacket and jeans doesn't cut it. We had a black eyed pea fly in yesterday and I didn't even go.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:16 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

When it gets much below 20 here , if you want to get some flying in , ya gotta use those little hot packs that slip into the gloves . it's the only way , unless you do the one flight then defrost the hands on the car heater method .

I've personally used the hot packs down to 2 degrees F , and was able to feel my fingers for the entire flight . (which , of course , was about 4 minutes shorter than normal due to the cold Lipo dropoff)
Old 01-02-2013, 09:17 AM
All Day Dan

Thanks init. I had planned to put them in the transmitter mitt. Can you recommend some? Dan.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:53 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

[8D] Hi Dan ,

These two brands work well for me , and are fairly cheap when bought in bulk like the 10 pack as shown in the photo . Best and cheapest places to get them are "Dollar Tree Stores" and costco/BJs type of warehouse grocery stores where they sell most everything in bulk . I paid $2 for that 10 pack in the local warehouse store
Old 01-02-2013, 11:59 AM
All Day Dan

Great post init. I'll start looking around for something like that. Thanks a lot for the help. Dan.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:35 PM
topspin

I tried flying with gloves a few times but just didn't like it and I have never found any that let my thumbs feel right on the sticks. I just take them off, put them in my pocket and tough it out for a few minutes then put them back on after I land. I don't fly when it's really super cold any way. By the way I have used the GI hand/foot warmers that you add a little water to and they are great. Wish I could still get those.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:17 PM
Minnreefer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a pair of gloves a little like this http://www.amazon.com/Thermoskin-Art...fingerless+men with the finger tips taken off. They worked as well as the rest of my outfit when it was 15 degrees out on the the lake (it was frozen and a nice BIG runway) ))
Old 01-04-2013, 08:24 PM
All Day Dan

I had a pair of gloves with a pocket on the backside for a removable mitten cover for the fingers. I cut it off and used the pocket for some hand warmers. It was between 35 and 40 at the field today in the morning and I was able to fly with no problem using the glove. The cut off finger tips gave me a good feel with the transmitter and the warming packs really helped with the cold. My fingers got cold but not painfully so. I’ll try two warmers in each glove next week. Thanks guys. Dan.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35869.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	1836889   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53434.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	1836890