Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Mosquito Infestation!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 07:58 PM
ZachK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mosquito Infestation!!

I'm here in Ohio and today I packed up my plane and left the flying field after one short flight due to a RIDICULOUS number of mosquitoes that seem to be impervious to ALL brands of insect repellent. The mosquitoes are starting to become a huge problem at my field as most of the members leave after being attacked by these critters on the flight line. It is very hard to concentrate on controlling your aircraft when you can't stand still due to the hundreds (it feels like) needles piercing your skin. I was wondering if anyone else is having problem with these pesky bloodsuckers and what you are doing to control them.
Old 09-13-2003, 08:07 PM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Mosquito Infestation!!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...tm.htm#1050089

Above is a link to a recent thread discussing mosquitos.

Eric
Old 09-13-2003, 08:20 PM
r degen

We are having a big problem with those little sweat bees and nothing seems to keep them away.
Old 09-13-2003, 09:50 PM
IronZ
My Feedback: (3)

I fly in Troy, Ohio and they suck there also....no pun intended!
Old 09-13-2003, 11:57 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do an Exxon Valdez number on them....

....(when no one is looking )
Old 09-14-2003, 09:06 AM
KW_Counter

I thought this was supposed to be a hobby full of creative people?
Build a 60 size crop duster and use it.
KW_Counter
Old 09-14-2003, 10:05 AM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

here in northeast PA we also have the same problem, we got intouch with DEP and they came and sprayed, since they did find west nile infected mosquitos about 1 mile away.
but afetr they sprayed they are still there, i watch a show about mosquitos on discovery channel saturday, deets and other repelants are having less and less of an effect on them, but for the most part, just about every member at our field has atleast 1 or 2 cans of off in thier flight box at all times, DO NOT WEAR ANY COLONGE, DEODERANT,perfumes, or anything like that, you will atrack more bites

mark
Old 09-14-2003, 10:25 AM
BigSky
My Feedback: (11)

Hey Guys,

I found a spray that works great. I know this sounds corny but it works.[link]http://www.mosquitoczar.com/Mosquito_Barrier_FAQ/#mf10[/link]
Old 09-14-2003, 11:33 AM
Trombe
My Feedback: (1)

Home-made trick: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Supe...1134952/tm.htm
Old 09-20-2003, 12:37 AM
Ptarmigan

I hate mosquitoes! They bite and swarm like crazy! Aaaarrrggghhhh! They could be a real nightmare when flying RC.
Old 09-21-2003, 12:37 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

Did you know you are much more like to be bit by a Mosquitoe after eating a banana? Something in the bananas must give off a nice scent...

Steven
Old 09-21-2003, 07:59 AM
iowanspctr

Gee, maybe I should take a bunch of bananas for the lawn chair guys. Diversionary tactic. But that would be mean. I wouldn't really do that. Really, I wouldn't---
Old 09-23-2003, 02:48 PM
gubbs3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have found some stuff that I picked up at an outdoors store that really works. Its Deep Woods Off that is 95% DEET. If you want wicked potency this is the stuff to get. Any of that garden variety spray on repellant doesn't work. I use it when repelling into a quarry that has a pond at the bottom of a 100 foot cliff that is also infested with mosquitoes, and not a bite. Don't get it in your mouth though, I got a little on my lower lip and it went numb for about an hour.
Old 09-24-2003, 11:38 AM
trailingedge

Here in the Mississippi delta, our mosquitos sound like c130's flying over head. One crop duster crashed last week when a mosquito crashed through the canopy killing the pilot and seriously injuring the mosquito. Seriously though the ones around here bite through blue jeans and are unaffected by most of the repellants on the market (I've tried almost all of them). Here are a few of the items I've found to work somewhat in my quest to kill those little bastiges.

1. Mosquito magnet- It does actually catch mosquitos, but it's expensive. I bought the defender model and I think the thing was just overwhelmed. There were fewer mosqitos, but not few enough. The octenol cartridge by itself did much more good than the actual catcher by itself.

2. Bug light- They work a little...

3. Ortho mosquito B gone- this is some pretty good stuff. Too bad it doesn't last but a day or two.

The end result-
Mosquito magnet running with buglight nearby and octenol cartridge also rigged to hang in buglight. Mosquito be gone sprayed on the yard every other week. Any standing puddles get a little 10 percent to keep the breeding down. Now I can go outside in the evenings again .

The field part is easy. We have a few guys who like to adjust needles on the ground often. If I'm alone, I'll just run the engine kinda rich on the ground for a few. When the mosquitos come back, repeat the process. Smoke systems help also.
Old 09-24-2003, 11:47 AM
trailingedge

Better idea!!!

Invite the inlaws over for dinner. Serve banana pudding and banana split for desert. Be carefule to avoit desert like the plague! Retire to the back yard for a relaxing family visit.

Note to self:
Send ex wife a large bag of banana's
Old 09-24-2003, 01:48 PM
2left_thumbs

Just a little thought.

Would that Citronella fuel for those torches make a good smoke oil? Turn on the smoke system and fog those little buggers out!