Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

ethanol

Old 01-08-2013, 03:59 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ethanol

You guys might like to look at this:

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/2000862202001/

Its been checked out by snoops.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:35 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HP, are you saying that only 6 seconds worth of the Sun's total output was needed to grow the bio mass that decomposed into oil, the energy it took to recover that amount [42 cubic miles] and then the amount of energy that got released when the oil eventually got used..?
42 cubic miles seems like a ridiculously small area.
What I said is that the total amount of energy consumed in the world each year is produced by the sun in a half of a nanosecond (500 pico-second). Or another way of looking at it, in one second, the sun produces the amount of energy the entire world uses each year 2 billion times over.

We receive roughly over 6,000 times as much energy from the sun on the Earth each year as what we consume each year. The problem is not a lack of energy, just of collecting and using it. This is because our level of technology is still rather primitive. I don't expect it to improve all that much over the course of the next three or four decades.

The amount of oil we have extracted and used in the past 140 years would fill 42 containers 1 mile on each side. At present we use just a bit over 1 cubic mile of oil each year (1.03 cubic mile the last year I got data on).

Old 01-08-2013, 05:09 PM
cap 580
My Feedback: (40)

Producers feed the byproduct from ethanol plants to there livestock which also  feeds america. 

Old 01-08-2013, 07:46 PM
abelard

all the gold that has ever been found...IIRC it would fit inside a 20x20x20 meter cube...which sounds way too small to me.
Well, at current prices, a 20-meter cube of gold would be worth about 11-1/4 trillion dollars. Remember, most of the gold you see is extremely thin...
Old 01-08-2013, 08:24 PM

ORIGINAL: HighPlains

HP, are you saying that only 6 seconds worth of the Sun's total output was needed to grow the bio mass that decomposed into oil, the energy it took to recover that amount [42 cubic miles] and then the amount of energy that got released when the oil eventually got used..?
42 cubic miles seems like a ridiculously small area.
What I said is that the total amount of energy consumed in the world each year is produced by the sun in a half of a nanosecond (500 pico-second). Or another way of looking at it, in one second, the sun produces the amount of energy the entire world uses each year 2 billion times over.

We receive roughly over 6,000 times as much energy from the sun on the Earth each year as what we consume each year. The problem is not a lack of energy, just of collecting and using it. This is because our level of technology is still rather primitive. I don't expect it to improve all that much over the course of the next three or four decades.

The amount of oil we have extracted and used in the past 140 years would fill 42 containers 1 mile on each side. At present we use just a bit over 1 cubic mile of oil each year (1.03 cubic mile the last year I got data on).

I don't expect it to improve all that much over the course of the next three or four decades.
Because that is about the expected life span of our oil reserves as now known?
When the oil runs out is when we'll get off our butts and actually do something about energy.

Here's a plan. We keep burning fossil fuel until the U.S. gets warm enough to grow sugar cane for ethanol.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:27 PM
warbird addict

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

ORIGINAL: warbird addict
Hate to be skeptical but it's been my experience having served in a combat zone that what's in the best interests of big gov't will get you killed and from what I've seen their philosphy is no different concerning the civilian sector, big gov't has and always will protect it's own survival ahead of and before yours and mine, been there done that and have the medals to prove it.
I know about the award criteria for those medals and they don't qualify your opinion above anyone else's and they sure as heck don't mean you had to do anything other than your basic duty as a soldier [sailor].
Here you are again ranting against someone besides me, referring to the time you spent onboard the USS RL PAGE as your ''trump card....[8D]''.......
...Dude I tried to add something constructive but you have to once again take it off topic and start with the name calling crap so heres my final reply, shut your mouth you're a punk plain and simple , I'm nobody's F@#$%n mother I think my DD214 will clearly drive that point home! Mouthpiece! people like you are a pimple on the ***** of people trying to accomplish something here who are using this forum as it was intended and have some kind of an input that gets heard by big buisness, so save your childish ***** name calling nonsense for when you're face to face with me....

warbird addict
12/21/2012 10:26 PM
Status: online Sorry what did I miss I was busy mixing up a batch of beer brew so I can wait six months to drink it LOL You've got a pretty polluted sense of the world my friend , My freezer is full of Deer meat, my bills are paid, I work over 80 hours a week ....
I served my country in a combat zone DID YOU? seems to me you have entirely too much time on your hands to fluff up your own self inflated EGO! to have any sort of real credibility no in fact what I see from you is the "CHAIRBORNE RANGER" coming out of you Kinda like you wished you had but lacked the balls or comittment to stand up for something that was beyond your own well being , people like you are a dime a dozen , you talk a big game but when it comes right down to putting your money where your mouth is your reaction is PREDICTABLE you COP out and resort to your self preservationist cowardly TACTICS your ass is so transparent a blind man could see right thru it.
Do society a favor and just shut up and blow away we've already got enough greenhouse gas floating around without your one sided off base contributions.
Really give it a rest you've got your entire life to be a complete schmuck!!! TAKE A BREAK YOU"LL FEEL BETTER FOR IT!!!

Which version of ''the truth'' is it..? 100 hours EVERY single week since you were 15 is a far cry from 80+. Plus that post time was about 1:30 AM your time..hmmm, interesting
ORIGINAL: warbird addict comments in ''Models are not toys'' thread.........
I was in the service with a guy who use to take the 45 from the guy he relieved on watch and put it to his head and pull the trigger with the assumption that the guy he relieved hadn't loaded it or played with it or left a round in the chamber ultimate show of trust until one night the weapon went BOOM luckily missing him with the round ricocheting all around the metal bulkheads damned near killing them both......
This is one of those urban legend stories that I'll bet many have heard various versions of. I'm sure PO2 Marks would back you up on this whopper if you paid him enough. I'm not so sure if the ship's commander would though.
It looks more like you fabricated this story to try to drive home a point about dangerous things being treated like toys.
Your motorcycle story [that you submitted to drive home your same message about RC models not being toys] just doesn't pass the ''smell test'' either. What were the odds that you work 100 hours per week [7 days per week @ 14 hours per day] but were somehow able to dash on down to the bike dealership at the drop of a hat to try to save the boy's life..? What were the odds that a seasoned and experienced bike builder and seller needed your assistance anyway..? What are the odds that he took the father's money anyway after having wasted your valuable 100 hour per week time to talk him out of the sale..? What are the odds that you wouldn't be able to remember why you sold this bike just 3 years ago when you've only owned a handful of these special road racers..? What are the odds that only 10 days later the boy would have killed himself on that bike..?
Just wow, man.
As for that phone number......
I could furnish you with a phone number that will give you a guy at the other end who will swear I made Evil Knievel's jump for him across the Grande Canyon and that the bike was confiscated after the jump by GIBs because it was equipped with one of those ''vapor carburetors'' The jump would have been successful, but the GIB's hit the machine with a magnetic pulse that spoiled it's trajectory.........[8D]
If all your stories are the absolute truth, then you could charge Stephan Spielberg to hang out with you.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:52 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I served my country in a combat zone DID YOU? seems to me you have entirely too much time on your hands to fluff up your own self inflated EGO! to have any sort of real credibility no in fact what I see from you is the ''CHAIRBORNE RANGER'' coming out of you Kinda like you wished you had but lacked the balls or comittment to stand up for something that was beyond your own well being , people like you are a dime a dozen , you talk a big game but when it comes right down to putting your money where your mouth is your reaction is PREDICTABLE you COP out and resort to your self preservationist cowardly TACTICS your ass is so transparent a blind man could see right thru it.
Do society a favor and just shut up and blow away we've already got enough greenhouse gas floating around without your one sided off base contributions.
Really give it a rest you've got your entire life to be a complete schmuck!!! TAKE A BREAK YOU''LL FEEL BETTER FOR IT!
Look at the Navys' casualty reports of sailors against enemy fire since Vietnam and your odds of getting killed as a private citizen in the USA would have been much greater. Not counting the valiant SEALS and aviators and deck hands onboard carriers, the average sailor during this era didn't have too much to worry about..the casualty reports during this time [the past 35 years+] are under 100 of your typical deck hands....so.........
Get a grip on it, RAMBO....!!!
I served during Vietnam, but I was never in harms way as the NCOIC for the Fire Control Computer Repairmen of the 4th Mechanized Infantry Division. I would never misrepresent myself as one of the TRUE grunts who put their lives on the line. Therefore, I place no importance or honor upon the badges that were thrown my way as a tool to get me to RE-UP..or to win any arguments here at RCU while we talk about toy airplanes and such..
Keep using your DD-214 to help fortify your opinion here...eventually you will see how far that will get you. The same goes for those "Fantastic Tales" of your's. Leonardo DiCaprio should pick your brain for inspiration.

Got that 1000 click stare from your time in combat..Boss..?
Old 01-08-2013, 09:15 PM
warbird addict

There are those that talk as thats all they have the intestinal fortitude and LIFE EXPERIENCE to do and there are those that do because it's necessary and they believe it's for a cause above their own well being and with all the CREDENTIALS IN THE WORLD TO BACK IT UP , and from EVERYTHING I've seen come from you , you're nothing more than a "TALKER" it's what you're GOOD at as you obviously aren't very good at and lack the balls to be a DO'ER , from me to you do yourself a favor DO NOT EVER GET IN MY FACE IN A PUBLIC SETTING FACE TO FACE or you will be sent home with your pretty pink panties in your purse!! THATS right I'll be overjoyed to smack the taste out of that sewer you call a mouth, YOU have the BALLS TO QUESTION MY SERVICE TO THIS COUNTRY ?DO ME A FAVOR AND DO IT TO MY FACE and you'll be picking your filthy minded good for nothing "LAZY" ass up out of the grass wondering if anybody got the plate # off the greyhound bus that just ran you down,you want to escalate this and take it to a less than politicly correct level feel free my cell# is 518-837-7296 between 7am and 6 pm Nothing would give me anymore pleasure than to hand you your ass with a pretty "RAINBOW" colored ribbon around it , I'm sick of your candyass **** period so either put up or shut up and make my phone ring THATS HOW IT IS!!!! screw the formality lets get primal PUNK!
Thats right I"ve said it you're a LOUD MOUTH PUNK thats hides behind the anonymity the internet provides you because YOU lack the balls to say it face to face, solution is simple make my phone ring , or if you're actually dumb enough, show up and get in my face and spew your sewage in my direction.

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Hate to be skeptical but it's been my experience having served in a combat zone that what's in the best interests of big gov't will get you killed and from what I've seen their philosphy is no different concerning the civilian sector, big gov't has and always will protect it's own survival ahead of and before yours and mine, been there done that and have the medals to prove it.
I know about the award criteria for those medals and they don't qualify your opinion above anyone else's and they sure as heck don't mean you had to do anything other than your basic duty as a soldier [sailor].
Here you are again ranting against someone besides me, referring to the time you spent onboard the USS RL PAGE as your ''trump card....[8D]''.......
...Dude I tried to add something constructive but you have to once again take it off topic and start with the name calling crap so heres my final reply, shut your mouth you're a punk plain and simple , I'm nobody's F@#$%n mother I think my DD214 will clearly drive that point home! Mouthpiece! people like you are a pimple on the ***** of people trying to accomplish something here who are using this forum as it was intended and have some kind of an input that gets heard by big buisness, so save your childish ***** name calling nonsense for when you're face to face with me....
There are those that talk as thats all they have the intestinal fortitude and LIFE EXPERIENCE to do and there are those that do because it's necessary and they believe it's for a cause above their own well being and with all the CREDENTIALS IN THE WORLD TO BACK IT UP , and from EVERYTHING I've seen come from you , you're nothing more than a "TALKER" it's what you're GOOD at as you obviously aren't very good at and lack the balls to be a DO'ER , from me to you do yourself a favor DO NOT EVER GET IN MY FACE IN A PUBLIC SETTING FACE TO FACE or you will be sent home with your pretty pink panties in your purse!! THATS right I'll be overjoyed to smack the taste out of that sewer you call a mouth, YOU have the BALLS TO QUESTION MY SERVICE TO THIS COUNTRY ?DO ME A FAVOR AND DO IT TO MY FACE and you'll be picking your filthy minded good for nothing "LAZY" ass up out of the grass wondering if anybody got the plate # off the greyhound bus that just ran you down,you want to escalate this and take it to a less than politicly correct level feel free my cell# is 518-837-7296 between 7am and 6 pm Nothing would give me anymore pleasure than to hand you your ass with a pretty "RAINBOW" colored ribbon around it , I'm sick of your candyass **** period so either put up or shut up and make my phone ring THATS HOW IT IS!!!! screw the formality lets get primal PUNK!
Thats right I"ve said it you're a LOUD MOUTH PUNK thats hides behind the anonymity the internet provides you because YOU lack the balls to say it face to face, solution is simple make my phone ring , or if you're actually dumb enough show up and get in my face and spew your sewage in my direction

warbird addict
12/21/2012 10:26 PM
Status: online Sorry what did I miss I was busy mixing up a batch of beer brew so I can wait six months to drink it LOL You've got a pretty polluted sense of the world my friend , My freezer is full of Deer meat, my bills are paid, I work over 80 hours a week ....
Which version of ''the truth'' is it..? 100 hours EVERY single week since you were 15 is a far cry from 80+. Plus that post time was about 1:30 AM your time..hmmm, interesting.

Thats right I"ve said it you're a LOUD MOUTH PUNK thats hides behind the anonymity the internet provides you because YOU lack the balls to say it face to face, solution is simple make my phone ring , or if you're actually dumb enough show up and get in my face and spew your sewage in my direction

ORIGINAL: warbird addict comments in ''Models are not toys'' thread.........
I was in the service with a guy who use to take the 45 from the guy he relieved on watch and put it to his head and pull the trigger with the assumption that the guy he relieved hadn't loaded it or played with it or left a round in the chamber ultimate show of trust until one night the weapon went BOOM luckily missing him with the round ricocheting all around the metal bulkheads damned near killing them both......
This is one of those urban legend stories that I'll bet many have heard various versions of. I'm sure PO2 Marks would back you up on this whopper if you paid him enough. I'm not so sure if the ship's commander would though.
It looks more like you fabricated this story to try to drive home a point about dangerous things being treated like toys.
Your motorcycle story [that you submitted to drive home your same message about RC models not being toys] just doesn't pass the ''smell test'' either. What were the odds that you work 100 hours per week [7 days per week @ 14 hours per day] but were somehow able to dash on down to the bike dealership at the drop of a hat to try to save the boy's life..? What were the odds that a seasoned and experienced bike builder and seller needed your assistance anyway..? What are the odds that he took the father's money anyway after having wasted your valuable 100 hour per week time to talk him out of the sale..? What are the odds that you wouldn't be able to remember why you sold this bike just 3 years ago when you've only owned a handful of these special road racers..? What are the odds that only 10 days later the boy would have killed himself on that bike..?
Just wow, man.
As for that phone number......
I could furnish you with a phone number that will give you a guy at the other end who will swear I made Evil Knievel's jump for him across the Grande Canyon and that the bike was confiscated after the jump by GIBs because it was equipped with one of those ''vapor carburetors'' The jump would have been successful, but the GIB's hit the machine with a magnetic pulse that spoiled it's trajectory.........[8D]
If all your stories are the absolute truth, then you could charge Stephan Spielberg to hang out with you.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:22 PM
combatpigg

Famous last words of every Internet Tough Guy.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:28 PM
HighPlains

Hey addict,
Why don't you take a break? That would be refreshing.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:35 PM
combatpigg

Hey addict,
Why don't you take a break? That would be refreshing.
HP. he's under contract to RCU to boost ratings.......
Old 01-08-2013, 09:37 PM
combatpigg

HP, is the study of the Sun's output only about the radiation we have seen pass our way [through the Earth]...?
I recall seeing concepts of "solar farms" stationed in orbit around us and then able to send that energy through thin air down to collectors at ground level. At the same time we have had talk of Super Conductors that are capable of handling tremendous energy that could be used in support of a similar task. Maybe "WE" are only 100 years away from seeing such developements take form..?
Old 01-08-2013, 11:19 PM
HighPlains

Well the sun is enormous, something on the order of 860,000 miles in diameter. The Earth averages about 93 million miles distance, so a sphere with a 93 million mile radius would have a surface area of 1.1E17 square miles or about 110 million billion sq miles. The surface of the Earth exposed to the sun at any point in time is only about 50 million sq miles. Another way of looking at it is of the energy the sun radiates, only about 1 part in 2.1 billion strikes the Earth. Not all that energy stays on Earth, some of it is also radiated away.

Quite a number of years ago there was an idea for gathering sunlight in space and transmitting the energy down to collectors on the ground with microwave energy. All kinds of problems with that concept, the expense for one thing, plus you can do better with ground based technology. All pie in the sky like you see in Popular Science type magazine. Fluff like cotton candy.

There is no perfect technology, if it did exist then it would appear as magic because in just a generation or two only a very few would understand it well enough to keep it moving forward. Today's technology, the planer micro chip that has fueled the electronic revolution is about tapped out after the past 50 years. Fortunately we will soon quit making things by removing material, but be able to make things at the molecular level, creating surfaces and materials that you can not produce with simple chemistry, heat or pressure. Nano tech holds both great promise and great threat.

Genetic engineering is very crude, more akin to blasting a package of hamburger with a shotgun and hoping for a steak. Eventually it will become like writing software, but the bad news is at your fingertips. Just how bad is MS Windows, which is just a poorly defined wallpaper over the original DOS programming from 40 years ago. So imagine software that is millions of times more complex and could kill everone with a single mistake.

I'll close with a quote that I like from Donald Rumsfeld that sums it up quite well:

There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know.
There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know.
But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:24 AM
combatpigg

Have faith in Mother Nature if future technology gets out of hand....she has a way of culling the herd when you least expect it. Population control trumps all other concerns IMO.
Thanks for taking the time to elaborate on the nature of things as far as the Sun is concerned and for what potential it has that we've failed to harvest.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:33 AM
HighPlains

Harvest the sun. Yes, I think that is correct. Ethanol production does that, regardless if it is from corn, sugar cane, sorghum, or someday - cellulose. Other than weapons, some of the earliest technology was discovered purely by accident. Fermentation was due to poor storage of grain (wet grain in any quantity either starts to grow or ferment). Cheese was discovered when milk was put into a bag made from the stomach of a goat.

Both made someone question what was going on and now we have the NFL giving a reason to party with beer and cheese. Most discoveries are small ideas that move the chains just a little further down the field. The problem is that most people want to shoot for the end zone on every play and forget that the linemen are the real game.

So big science is out there, spending billions and trillions of dollars trying to smash particles at the speed of light, or create fussion in the lab leading to making a sun in a easier to harness form factor. Or the space program, which has been a favorite of my generation, except for all the naysayers going on about 'wasting the money when we have problems on Earth.'

Well newflash! Went we send a probe out into space, we send a chuck of metal with mostly processed sand out there. The money never leaves the ground. But it drives technology that moves the chains.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:39 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the sun is enormous, something on the order of 860,000 miles in diameter. The Earth averages about 93 million miles distance, so a sphere with a 93 million mile radius would have a surface area of 1.1E17 square miles or about 110 million billion sq miles. The surface of the Earth exposed to the sun at any point in time is only about 50 million sq miles. Another way of looking at it is of the energy the sun radiates, only about 1 part in 2.1 billion strikes the Earth. Not all that energy stays on Earth, some of it is also radiated away.

Quite a number of years ago there was an idea for gathering sunlight in space and transmitting the energy down to collectors on the ground with microwave energy. All kinds of problems with that concept, the expense for one thing, plus you can do better with ground based technology. All pie in the sky like you see in Popular Science type magazine. Fluff like cotton candy.

There is no perfect technology, if it did exist then it would appear as magic because in just a generation or two only a very few would understand it well enough to keep it moving forward. Today's technology, the planer micro chip that has fueled the electronic revolution is about tapped out after the past 50 years. Fortunately we will soon quit making things by removing material, but be able to make things at the molecular level, creating surfaces and materials that you can not produce with simple chemistry, heat or pressure. Nano tech holds both great promise and great threat.

Genetic engineering is very crude, more akin to blasting a package of hamburger with a shotgun and hoping for a steak. Eventually it will become like writing software, but the bad news is at your fingertips. Just how bad is MS Windows, which is just a poorly defined wallpaper over the original DOS programming from 40 years ago. So imagine software that is millions of times more complex and could kill everone with a single mistake.

I'll close with a quote that I like from Donald Rumsfeld that sums it up quite well:

There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know.
There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know.
But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know.
The 'rithmetic looks sound but yours is the best case scenario. Reduce the estimate to about 1/4... The amount of earth surface exposed directly to the sun at any given moment at an angle effective enough, is only about 1/4 or less. And some of that energy gets reflected, never reaching the surface....

To the Rumsfeld conundrum, I'd gladly exchange what I know for what I don't! But not sure my head can handle it!
Old 01-09-2013, 01:12 PM
Deadeye

Let's keep things friendly or I will be forced to not only clean up some messages, but lock the thread down. This is the one and only warning you will get. This goes for everybody.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:21 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I run Ethanol when required. I run NON- ethanol & get about 20% better milage in my Honda Accord V 6. Ethanol does not help milage.

But it sure helps Wall Street Futures Price fixers.

Does Wallstreet run a price fixing monoply ????????????????? Never. Only supply & demand.

You want it ?

I demand you pay anything I demand !! Sounds like WW II Germany.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:30 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Combatpig, interesting what you did in Nam. I was in the Army National Guard from 1957 to 1963, in artillery fire direction. I ended up a fire direction chief computer. We did it with a plastic gun fana protractor like device, and a slide rule which gave range and elevation for various charges. Also a pencil and a piece of paper. I read in one of the artillery newsletters about the first development of a fire direction computer, but that came on line after my time. I sent a lot of rounds downrange in training, but have never heard a shot fired in anger. That's fine with me.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:36 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: Deadeye

Let's keep things friendly or I will be forced to not only clean up some messages, but lock the thread down. This is the one and only warning you will get. This goes for everybody.
What part of my reply caused your reaction?? I didn't read all the posts but the few I did had no malice intended and certainly mine did not.......Calm down guy
Old 01-09-2013, 01:53 PM
warningshot

ORIGINAL: MTK

ORIGINAL: Deadeye

What part of my reply caused your reaction?? I didn't read all the posts but the few I did had no malice intended and certainly mine did not.......Calm down guy
Read post 108.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:04 PM
HighPlains

The 'rithmetic looks sound but yours is the best case scenario. Reduce the estimate to about 1/4... The amount of earth surface exposed directly to the sun at any given moment at an angle effective enough, is only about 1/4 or less.
From the sun's point of view, it always sees a "full Earth", a disk in the sun's hemisphere that is about 8,000 mile across. So I think my numbers are correct. True as you move away from high noon, the energy gets spread over a larger surface area and some energy is reflected back into space at a multitude of wavelengths. Otherwise the Earth would be invisible, and be very hot - which is almost the description of a black hole.

I just got back from a little 40 mile round trip in my new quad cab Ram 1500 pickup. I don't even know what gas they put in it at the dealer, just that the 26 gallon tank was full. It's 4 wheel drive (damn hard to even buy 2w drive anymore), so not the best setup for mileage. Well at 65 mph it seems to get somewhere less than 18 mpg, but at 60 mph just over 21 mpg. All on the same tank of gas. So it was warmer, and one town is 200 feet higher than the other. I'm not sure which way the wind was blowing either, maybe it has 20 more miles of breaking in, and maybe the air pressure had dropped.

So what does it all mean?

Nothing at all, too many variables that go unquantified.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:53 PM
combatpigg

ORIGINAL: Jim Thomerson

Combatpig, interesting what you did in Nam. I was in the Army National Guard from 1957 to 1963, in artillery fire direction. I ended up a fire direction chief computer. We did it with a plastic gun fana protractor like device, and a slide rule which gave range and elevation for various charges. Also a pencil and a piece of paper. I read in one of the artillery newsletters about the first development of a fire direction computer, but that came on line after my time. I sent a lot of rounds downrange in training, but have never heard a shot fired in anger. That's fine with me.
Howdy Jim. So you were a "Chief of Smoke", huh? The system I repaired weighed about 300 pounds and it needed a special 400 cycle 3KW generator, so the fire direction control guys hated it and they preferred a little briefcase that held the manual instruments you mentioned working with. They used to sabotage the poor FADAC M-18 so they wouldn't have to lug that monstrosity out to the field. It was an extremely loud POS to work around with a spinning disk memory [built by Cadillac] that spun at 6000 rpm and cost about $10,000 IIRC...just for the memory. All you had to do to ruin the memory was jar the computer [like making a pinball machine "tilt"]. The FADAC did basic trig like a $10 pocket calculator, but it could keep track of 5 battery's individual "field problems". I think the FADAC was introduced in the early 1960s for field trials but not accepted for official duty until after it was already obsolete. It was a really expensive "White Elephant" that had about 50% of it's massive wiring harness was dedicated to troubleshooting circuitry. 99% of all the wiring was colored white, too. Ironically my MOS dead ended at E-5 and once you hit E-6 you got transferred into small arms repair.