Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

OMP Customer Service Bomb

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 09:13 PM
EMB145CA
My Feedback: (242)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMP Customer Service Bomb

I've been in this hobby for over 27 years and I've seen a lot come and go. Every once in a while you find a plane that is so sweet, your comfort zone greatly expands and you start trying every maneuver in the book. This is what happened when I stumbled upon an OMP YakSP55M. It is an absolute blast to fly and actually makes me look like I know what I'm doing. I saw another one for sale online that was NIB and I had to have it. I must say the packing job they do on their planes was the best I've ever encountered. The arf was clean, covering tight, cowling paint was flawless and glistened in the sun. OMP was fast becoming my company of choice.

So, my friend calls me up and says OMP is running a christmas special of free shipping on the new 120cc Yak55 and two other 50cc aircraft according to an add in a popular RC magazine. He sends me a picture of the add and sure enough, free shipping. I said I would get one as well and wound up ordering two 120cc Yak55/DLE111 combos fully anticipating the same high quality I saw in the previous version Yak I own. However, the add was incorrect but we did work up a deal on shipping for both. After shelling out over $3300, both kits and engines arrive at my door in good condition (airfcraft #1 and aircraft #2).

After inspection everything, turns out the canopy on a/c #1 had some damage to the flooring (foam board). Nothing really torn apart, however, the cracked areas of foam board already had tape on them as if it was done at the factory that way.....what gives? Second issue is the cowling. It has lots of "pitting" in the black paint (which leaves white marks), black paint specs in the yellow paint, poor edge paint lines (bleeding over), some small cracks in the inlet edges, areas of yellow that have already been touched up, and overall poor paint coverage. I check cowling #2 and it looked descent (in the lighting of the garage). Third issue was both spinners. One had a 2" long white hair molded into the finish, and the other had several swirl marks on it which after about 30 minutes of polishing compound, managed to come out.

So, I call John at OMP and tell him I'd like to have the canopy, spinner, and cowling replaced and send him very detailed pics showing the damage. I sent the spinner and cowling back (at my expense) and he agreed to send another cowling, canopy, and mentioned he could pull a spinner from another kit and make it happen. I would send him back my canopy using the box from the canopy he sent me.

In the meantime, I deliver Yak #2 to my friend and as we are going over it, I pull the cowling out (this time sunny) and to my dismay, here are much of the same problems mine had only to a higher degree. Full palm prints, finger prints, white pitting in the black paint, and areas (in the black on top of the cowling) where you can actually see the primer on the leading edge of the cowl. So, I call John back up and tell him cowl #2 needs to be replaced now and send him very detailed pics (several times).

Only this time, his email response to me is..."I can't see what the problem is in the pictures you have sent because of the glare. (on a side note, what he is mistaking for glare IS the actual damage on the cowling, ie-the white pitting) You guys got over $200 off on these planes and have done nothing but complain about very trivial things wrong with these planes. ARFs aren't perfect. There about 90-95% solution and most people know and accept that. You can return the cowling, however if I don't think there is anything wrong with it I'll return it at your expense."

So, after some heated debate and a few integrity checks, we work out a solution and everything should be good. I get the new canopy, cowling, and spinner in the mail..........AND....

The spinner was fine.

The canopy actually has more damage to the floor than my original one with two large cracks by the instrument panel and each of the four corners of the center floor cutout had visible cracks.

The cowling that John chose to send me actually has a repair already made to it where it has been manually re-fiberglassed from the inside of the cowling. Several other cracks (again) on the inlet area around the nose of the cowl, again with big palm prints in the mold, surface cracks in the paint, improper areas of paint coverage (on top of the cowl in the black paint so white shows through it), and the best part.........someone actually sanded on the top of the cowling making it flat black instead of gloss black.

This is what John chose to send me as a replacement cowl. This was a spare that he had in stock, according to him. I discussed this with my buddy who owns aircraft #2 and he has now opted not to send his cowling back to have it replaced due to poor customer service. I sent an email back to John telling him the condition of the items he sent me and he has opted not to respond. I told him I did not want to deal with him anymore after he had the audacity to send a damaged cowl and pass it off as new.

Not sure what has happened at OMP. Their previous planes seemed to be of very high quality, but not true for this new one. And, if this is any indication of quality control at OMP, I would be very cautious. I spent over $3300 and was treated very poorly. I was made to feel inferior, my integrity was put into question, and there was never anything like "sorry that happened, we'll get you fixed up asap." The whole experience has completely changed my view of OMP and I will not be purchasing anything from them again and their direct competitors will be getting my future business. So, I will be selling a NIB 120cc Yak55 with a NIB DLE111 for the same price I bought it for which is $1663 (with a new "used" cowl).

How does that go again? A good experience, you tell 10 people, a bad one, you tell 10,000. Just want to keep someone from going through what I did.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:37 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: OMP Customer Service Bomb

Spread the joy. Maybe there is more sympathy to be gained on this forum rather than FG.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:41 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Doubtful
Old 01-17-2013, 10:08 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar issue with some products from TBM-Troy Built Models got no satifaction from them. And like you I posted my experience here on RCU. Boy did I get ripped. I feel your pain and it does suck.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:59 AM
harsosuao
Banned

Maybe there is more sympathy to be gained on this forum rather than FG. 
Old 01-18-2013, 06:44 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: harsosuao

Maybe there is more sympathy to be gained on this forum rather than FG.

What are you , a Parrot ? Kbob already said the exact same thing , and it wasn't all that funny when he said it , either ........

[] But whats REALLY sad is that every time some reasonable sounding RCer like EMB14SCA or acerc has a problem with a popular company , that company's fanboys all pounce on the guy with the complaint without even stopping to consider the nature of the complaint . YES , popular companies DO sometimes make mistakes ! And yes , they then even sometimes compound that mistake by treating the upset customer in an off handed way . So then the rightly angry customer comes on here and relates their story , only to have their "modeling cred" challenged and be insulted by the fanboy legions . The guy in post one spent 3K on airplanes and had every right to receive perfect products for the perfect 3K he sent them . he ended up with somewhat less . And people want to attack HIM as though it's HIS fault the paint on the cowls sucked ?

I don't care if it's the most popular company in all of the RC world , if they really do screw someone out of rightfully paid for product then that person has every right to come here and relate that story without harassment .

And remember , fanboys , the NEXT screwed up cowl could very well be YOURS !!!
Old 01-18-2013, 06:54 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

Fanboys?Brilliant exercise in name calling there sport. I have never seen, owned, flown or cared one bit about OMP planes or their products. In fact by definition, you qualify as a fanboy of EMB14SCA.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:30 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: acerc

I had a similar issue with some products from TBM-Troy Built Models got no satifaction from them. And like you I posted my experience here on RCU. Boy did I get ripped. I feel your pain and it does suck.

[8D] I agree with you that it's not right to be attacked for posting about a bad purchase , no matter who the company is . The popular companies make mistakes too , and just because they are a popular company shouldn't mean they are exempt from the scorn of an unhappy customer .

Bottom line here is that for $3300 the OP should have been delivered his planes with NO blems , no matter WHO the seller is . Instead , He paid his $3300 and got something less than first quality merchandise . Period ...
Old 01-18-2013, 09:27 AM
acerc

Yesterday after posting the TBM CS manager emailed me. We had a lengthy email conversation. My spinner is suppose to be on its way free of any further charges. So maybe they are not so bad after all. Just wish it had went a bit smoother from the get go.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:37 AM
Fly RC II
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: acerc

Yesterday after posting the TBM CS manager emailed me. We had a lengthy email conversation. My spinner is suppose to be on its way free of any further charges. So maybe they are not so bad after all. Just wish it had went a bit smoother from the get go.
100% agreed. Why should it take these actions to achieve customer service satisfaction? Our hobby is not something companies will get rich on, but that is what customer service is all about. There is give and take, and whether the customer is right or wrong, the service provider should ask the customer what "it" is they can do to make it right. Many times, they don't ask that and the communications end up in negative lights. If I were a provider, which in a way we all are when dealing with things that we sell to others, communicating with the customer is always best left said than not.

We aren't in a perfect world but in our hobby, we cannot afford to leave anyone (if possible) with ill feelings or disappointed with your products or services.

Just my 2 cents worth...
Old 01-18-2013, 01:26 PM
acerc

Just got an email, package has been sent. Hoo rah!