Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

If it were easy, would your club do it?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

If it were easy, would your club do it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 01:49 AM
mkranitz
Banned
My Feedback: (60)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If it were easy, would your club do it?

I'm doing a bit of informal polling here in an effort to understand why so many clubs use paper, checks and more traditional means of handling pilot registration.

About a year ago, I created a system (and have since heavily upgraded it) that does three major things:

1. Displays events from anywhere in the world in a highly searchable manner. It also automatically publishes those events on every other RC website that wants to (and does) host our calendar widget. So it's syndicated.

2. Allows clubs to take in pilot registrations online and also manually enter them so that all pilots are organized under a single dashboard from which the club can view, print and export all their data.

3. The system remembers events and pilots so when a club goes to host the same event the next month or next year, they can just copy it. Same with pilot data - making registration easy for all future events.

We have about 500 organizations on the system. But, I am wondering whether I am in the clouds thinking that we can truly get a majority of clubs using ONE system so that the process of promoting the event is ONE STEP and handling pilot registrations is done on ONE site.

By the way, the event listings are also incredibly interactive and easy to read.

I think it's hard to break old habits, but I also think it can be done over time.

I'd like feedback from the crowd. The site is www.rcflightdeck.com and YES, it's FREE to use for all.

Michael
Old 01-21-2013, 06:02 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: If it were easy, would your club do it?

Maybe a little gun shy. Our web site was pretty basic as far as functionality but still flashy, lots of general info, and was updated regularly by our web master. Most considered he did a good job. Then it was decided to upgrade to a more interactive web site based on promises from younger working web developers. It has paypal, some online registration, online swap and discussion blogs. What a mess, some of it works, some of it doesnt, and its very frustrating. Now it seems nobody wants to mess with it anymore and the traffic has dropped off dramatically. I check back every now and then for new student contacts, but thats about it. I'd rather see us go back to what we had. It worked, was simple, but needed an active web master which we had in a retired guy that was perfectly happy working it.
Edwin
Old 01-21-2013, 09:30 AM
mkranitz
Banned

Which is precisely why you would use a system like RCFlightdeck. You don't have to be a programmer and its always kept up. Send me a PM and I'll show you how to get started.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:01 AM
Edwin

I'll forward this on to the clubs EC, I think they would be interested because the original web designers under estimated the task involved. They tried to make everything self serviced and it hasnt worked out that way yet. So it appears our web designers want to bail now. They started out with the right idea, just poor execution.

Our needs as spec 'd are -
1. General layout for easy access from the front page (not buried too deep)
2. Docs page, (How To's, getting started, articles, and so on)
3. Quick link to contact officers and instructors.
4. Online paypal for membership renewal/new and event registration
5. Online Swap (self serviced)
6. Front page rotating event flyers.
7. Second level event calendar.
8. News letter/treasury reports
9. Photo video gallery
10. I'm sure I'm forgetting something else, but I know you get the picture.

Total online event management is something we have not really thought of. I know some of the other CDs would probably like that idea.

The EC knows of the memberships complaints, its just a chore to fix and those working on it still have a job. I'm sure our needs are not any different than other clubs needs.

I think this is a good idea, but like you said, old habits are hard to break. I know a bunch of us are a bit gun shy now when it comes to creating a new web site when the old worked, it just needed a little tweeking. Something like this expanded for club management might take off. If there were a standard template and provisions for a designated club site master with approvals for layout setup, this would be good for clubs that dont have developer minded people but enough skill to cut-n-paste. There are several clubs that dont do any events or at least outside invitation type events that still would like a means to have a nice web site. We have one around us that hasnt been updated in about 6 years. Club web masters come and go, it would be nice to have an easy template to work with so the torch can easily be passed on to the newer younger members that want to help out, but may not have much for skills. With RC FlightDeck as the top level, clubs could be listed in a directory.

Edwin

Forgot to mention. I'm looking around that web site.

I made another change in the last paragraph.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:17 AM
mkranitz
Banned

Your solution sounds like a full club management site and I agree that this would be a terrific idea. I own RCClubs.com and have always thought we could do something like that.

For now, however, we have the full RCFlightDeck system (which you've poked around I gather) and it does a great deal of heavy lifting. We'd love to see you guys use it!
Old 01-21-2013, 11:52 AM
Edwin

Looks like one of our events is already on your calendar, Central Texas Jet Rally, May 24. Whats the color code for the map pointers?
Edwin
Old 01-21-2013, 12:01 PM
mkranitz
Banned

There are icons on each pin. Red=Heli, Blue=Jet, Yellow=Airplane Green=Swap/Auction
Old 01-23-2013, 09:19 AM
bolar
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: mkranitz

I'm doing a bit of informal polling here in an effort to understand why so many clubs use paper, checks and more traditional means of handling pilot registration.

Michael
Look at who is running the Clubs. They are mostly older gentlemen who do not really embrace the latest in technology. In my Club just last year I was able to get 100% e-mail addresses from everyone. I also know a lot of the older people in my Club do not manage their own e-mail accounts, their wives or kids open the e-mail for them. The "Traditional" methods still work for them so they are going to continue to go that way.

I'm not real old but I have my preferences. I only fly sport glow planes and power them with Nicads. I'm still coming home from the field happy and don't see a need to cross over to electric. With all the new stuff out there, I'm sure I'm considered "Old School" by many. I'm going to look really old when I'm out there flying with my Futaba 4 channel when everyone else is using their smart phones.

If you really want this thing to work you need to integrate or take over the AMA online contest directory. As it is right now it's just another place to post an event with a few more bells and whistles.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:35 AM
mkranitz
Banned

ORIGINAL: bolar

ORIGINAL: mkranitz

Michael

If you really want this thing to work you need to integrate or take over the AMA online contest directory. As it is right now it's just another place to post an event with a few more bells and whistles.

Hardly a few more bells and whistles. More like every other site IS a bell and whistle and RCFlightDeck is the actual vehicle. Consider this:

1. If you post the event on RCFlightDeck, it gets seen on HUNDREDS of sites (that host our calendar), like Hobby Lobby, Futaba, FlyRC, etc...

2. You can actually click into an event and register online, on the spot.

3. You can click into an event and see a list of pilots who have registered (list updates itself)

4. If you are the event host, you can log in and see a dashboard of all your events, pilot lists, accounting data, basically everything you need.

5. You can simply click COPY and the event is ready for next year

6. Where else can you search for an event based on a combination of location, event type, sanction status, host organization, date, etc...

The list goes on and you have hit on a huge point; people need to take a moment to consider what the RC world would be like if they could look on ONE system to locate and register for events. Event promotors would like it too because the practice of handling faxes, checks, emails, pdf's etc. is just a waste of time given the alternative.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback. You've pointed out that we need to do a better job of communicating our differences!