Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

HARD CHOICES

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 04:36 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HARD CHOICES

I am in a quandry!!!!! I cannot decide on engine choice and researched everything I can get my hands on.-I am trying to decide on OS 120 or Saito 120-it is going in my 105" champ-any help would be appreciated. I have never owner a saito- or any four stroke -only os and super tigre glow engines which both have been quite good-I always wanted a four stroke and now I can afford it-I really do not want to make the wrong decision-thanks
Old 01-09-2003, 04:52 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HARD CHOICES

You should be happy with either...

I chose O.S. for my first 4-stroke, and have been very pleased with it. However, there are several people running 4-strokes at the local club field, and the Saitos have been just as reliable. It would be difficult to rate one above the other.

The YS's seem to need a bit more tweeking... but the people running them are putting a LOT more time on thier engines, practicing for Patern competition. I imagine that if I was burning 1 to 2 gallons of fuel a week, my O.S. would need a bit more mantenance too.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:32 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default HARD CHOICES

Both are great engines. I personally like the looks of the Saito and think their cam design is better. I think it boils down to which one is better priced.
later daveo
Old 01-09-2003, 08:34 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HARD CHOICES

I agree with fhfuber. The YS works great with tank placement at cg due to pressurised tank system. The OS and Saito can also do that with an external pump and regulator. Some OS comes with a built-in pump/regulator
Old 01-09-2003, 09:44 PM
GeeBeeJim-delete

Default HARD CHOICES

A 1.20 sounds a little "Light" for a 105" span Champ. Have you considered going to maybe the Satio 150, or 180 ?
Old 01-10-2003, 12:11 AM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HARD CHOICES

I have thought about a larger engine but it is a bud nosen junk kit-it calls for 60-80 glow and a finished wieght around 10-11 lbs. - I know drag should be considered (it has a big flat nose) but it also has a flat wing bottom-what do you think I should do?
Old 01-10-2003, 12:23 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Default HARD CHOICES

At 10 lbs, the plane should be able to fly using a .91 4-stroke. I was trying to HOVER a 9 lb Fokker Dr1 with my .91 FS. (almost succeeded... pilot couldn't do it, plane COULD!)
Old 02-11-2003, 12:22 AM
Postal FLyer
My Feedback: (9)

Default HARD CHOICES

Go for the Saito, it's like the Bucs compared to the Raiders (OS). One is for real and one is hanging on the a past reputation.