Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

New? Idea for Smoke????....Maybe....

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

New? Idea for Smoke????....Maybe....

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 06:55 AM
Big Sasquatch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New? Idea for Smoke????....Maybe....

I recently purchased this toy for my nephew and was really amazed how much smoke it produces with just a tiny amount of "Hollywood" special effects fog/smoke fluid and some double A batteries. Has anyone looked into using this fluid and wiring up a simple gizmo with a few small batteries to make a smoke maker for your aircraft. It looks like it could be rather simple and very light compared to other methods. You really have to see how much smoke this little toy makes..............Also, the fluid is non-toxic and is cherry scented.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/cubegoodies/toys/5b4a/images/
Old 09-16-2003, 07:55 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: New? Idea for Smoke????....Maybe....

I couldn't say for sure without seeing it first-hand, but you also have to realize how much smoke is generated by an airplane. For example, if you turned on a good smoke system in an average living room for only 3-4 seconds (Don't try this at home kids... We're professionals), You wouldn't be able to see your hand in front of your face. (No, I didn't do this in my living room, but you should have seen the look on all of the neighbors faces when I opened the garage door! )
Old 09-16-2003, 10:16 AM
Big Sasquatch

Ahh,
I see your point, but if you do a search for Hollywood special effects you will find companies that sell gallons of smoke/fog generating fluid. From what I have seen it makes very dense smoke.....I wonder if it is the same stuff sold for generating smoke in model airplanes already, or if it is something different and possibly better????
Old 09-16-2003, 10:43 AM
MinnFlyer

Keep in mind, I'm only guessing here, but I would doubt that it would be any good. I admit I could be wrong, but let's consider a few things.

First, Theatrical Smoke, is made for indoor use. It is usually used with light shining on it. When something semi-transparrent is lit from the front, it appears more dense, and when it is backlit, it will be more transparrent (The sky will back-light your smoke)

Also, indoors you don't have to contend with wind, and the aperatus that is expelling the smoke is not moving at 90 miles per hour.

Here's another way to look at it:

Sit in your car with the windows rolled up and smoke a cigarette (Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that smoking is a great way to generate tax dollars). As you exhale smoke, it slowly dissipates into the air, so while the air may stink of tobacco, you would need several people smoking to really work up a "Cloud".

Ok, so now you have 4 or 5 people puffing away. Open the window at 60 MPH and see what kind of a smoke trail you're leaving.
Old 09-16-2003, 04:00 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

A while back I did a search on all the theatrical foggers and juices. The price ends up more than the commercial stuff for RC even if you make your own. Plus it produces a lot less smoke. The exhaust of a rich running glow engine makes much more smoke than that toy.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:11 AM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

I prefer to light the tail of my plane on fire ,then take off. Not only does it give a cool smoke effect, but gives the appearance that it was "shot down"
Your miles may vary.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:09 AM
Lightfoot
My Feedback: (1)

I bought 4 gallons of smoke fluid for my son's business about 2 weeks ago. It cost me $20 per gallon.
Old 09-17-2003, 02:18 PM
BigBird1

One of the local flying clubs was having a fun fly not too long ago...

One of the big birds was flying and he pulled the smoke valve on, low and behold a dense cloud of smoke came out...I'm thinking corvace oil, lamp oil. Nope...Ford type F trans fluid and Diesel at a 1 to 1 mix..should work out to about $6.00 a gallon...and lots O smoke....
Old 09-17-2003, 03:02 PM
MinnFlyer

I use Ultrasmoke. It's $10/Gal But it doesn't stink like those petroleum based fluids do, and it doesn't attack your covering job. If anyone wants some call Air Capital Hobbies at: 316-522-4905