Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

funny craigslist ad

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 10:14 AM
Minnreefer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default funny craigslist ad

I had to laugh when I read the description:

Hello, I have an awesome Futaba RC plane with a bigger 40cc gas motor. This plane is in great condition and has never been crashed. It has the custom microprocessor based airplane system controller with elevator to flap and flaperon with aileron differential. This is a high performance transmitter with a comfortable ergonomic design. This is a great multifunction transmitter with narrow band technology. The plane comes with a rolling tool box full of stuff for the plane. The transmitter, 8 new propellers, power packs, voltage tester, misc. tools, extra wheels, parts galore, and misc. There is also a Powershot starter. This is a very fast plane that is easy to maneuver. This would be a fun way to spend an afternoon with your kids, friends, or by yourself.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/cs...680047166.html

It is for a Great Planes Escape plane with what looks like an older Futaba remote and probably an super tiger 40 on it. A fine looking plane, but this seller must be a salesman.

Jon
Old 03-24-2013, 10:20 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: funny craigslist ad

He needed some bikini clad gals posing with the plane & gear to top off that description !
Old 03-24-2013, 02:15 PM
Fly RC II

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think he threw in the lawnmower deep in the snow in the background of one of those pics as well. Didn't he??

Lol
Old 03-24-2013, 02:26 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Selling the plane to buy a shed,, LOL

Seriously, when I see an ad like that where the guy has no clue, I figure it's stolen
Old 03-24-2013, 02:30 PM
flyinwalenda

Considering his list of barter items he doesn't know the true value !
Old 03-24-2013, 02:51 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I always get a kick out of ads like this. Like was said above, the guy selling it has no clue to what he has. It's either stolen or he got in a estate sale or something like that. Regardless, my guess is that he'll find a sucker someplace that will jump on the "deal" and buy it. They guy will show up at a flying field someplace and then be heartbroken when he learns the truth about what he bought. 

Ken

Old 03-24-2013, 04:52 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

It does look like it was stolen. I'd call the Minneapolis police to see if it looks familiar.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:11 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I usually figure guys like that are just dishonest people trying to prey on some newb. Many of us have been that 16 year old who has his own money for the first time and just dying to spend it, and the first smooth talker we stumble across gets it.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:41 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

I usually figure guys like that are just dishonest people trying to prey on some newb. Many of us have been that 16 year old who has his own money for the first time and just dying to spend it, and the first smooth talker we stumble across gets it.

[8D] I think Jester_s1 has got it right , the seller knows it ain't worth the value of a jetski or fishing boat and is fishing for someone with more $$ than knowledge . I doubt he's an RC hobbyist , probablly as mentioned earlier he bought it at an estate sale for too much $$ , couldn't figure out how to even get the engine started , and now wants to unload it for even more $$ than he got ripped off in paying for it .

The wordy descriptions sound like a badly botched attempt at copying some of the manufacturer's sales literature , I highly doubt he came up with such gems as "A high performance transmitter with a comfortable ergonomic design" on his own
Old 03-25-2013, 05:34 AM
Minnreefer

I would agree with some of the statements, The town that he has listed is out in the sticks, I really doubt that Minneapolis police would have any interest and we have so many different towns that if it was stolen, it could be from anywhere. He probably got it in a swap or estate sale, and is hoping to get rid of it.

My personal favorite was "narrow band technology" I have an old computer with a 14.4k dial up, what can I list that technology as?????????????

Jon
Old 03-25-2013, 05:57 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Dayumm, if I could get a jet ski for a ratty old plane and an antique radio I'd have to build a marina
Old 03-25-2013, 11:27 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: Minnreefer

I would agree with some of the statements, The town that he has listed is out in the sticks, I really doubt that Minneapolis police would have any interest and we have so many different towns that if it was stolen, it could be from anywhere. He probably got it in a swap or estate sale, and is hoping to get rid of it.

My personal favorite was ''narrow band technology'' I have an old computer with a 14.4k dial up, what can I list that technology as?????????????

Jon
In my mind a reputable re-seller typically would state that in the ad, along with "i don't know much about it" etc. etc... When they try to be all smart about it and look stupid doing it,, I figure they are stupid and are thieves.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:31 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Yeah, more often than not when a guy tries to sound inteelligent about something he knows nothing about, he ends up just sounding stupid. His opening line is a beaut.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:17 PM
frieshoo
My Feedback: (20)

There was a guy that would come by our field with old, cheap, dirty, and useless RC stuff. He didn't know a thing about the stuff, but would haul it around to the local fields trying to sell it.

He was getting the stuff at a local auction, and the auctioneer was the previous owner. The auctioneer got the stuff from an estate sale, and would randomly auction the stuff at his sells.

It was a tangled mess. LOL! By the time the traveling salesman got the stuff, it was very over priced.

FWIW, I did buy some 4 1/2 Sullivan wheels of him for $5. My buddy bought a Shogun (sp?) heli that flew pretty good.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:30 AM
carrellh

It appears the ad has been modified

=================
Hello, I have an awesome Futaba RC plane with a bigger 45ci gas motor. I know nothing about these other than what my friend told me. I thought it would be fun to do with my son, but I think I need to start with a smaller one.
=================

If he did get it from a friend he probably just copied and pasted the 'technology' stuff from the internet.