Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Standing position for take off

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Standing position for take off

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 05:01 PM
Live Wire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Standing position for take off

lets not get into that I can not yell loader that a big GASSER, when I am 200 feet away[] let alone here some one else[:@]
Old 04-05-2013, 05:07 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: astrohog
Please refer to the post where I simply asked you the question, ''IF they have the ability to fly from the pilot station, why AREN'T they?''
Let me take a crack at it. Because it's an option and they choose to do it differently. An obvious expert pilot such as yourself can surely admit that, despite your vast experience, even you might find it a bit easier to keep your airplane straight on take off if you were standing behind it. Simple physics says that the sooner you recognize that the airplane is diverging from the intended course the sooner you can correct for said divergence with the end result being a more accurate take off. You're simply not being honest if you argue that it's easier to see and correct when standing to the side of your aircraft then it is when standing behind it. Either that or you have special talents that other mere mortals do not possess. Just because somebody chooses to do one thing does not mean they are not capable of something else. They simply may have a preference and choose to exercise choice when the conditions allow. My .02 cents.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:10 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ha Ha i have gassrs and if some other gasser is flying i dont. Most noobs wont fly either when a big gasser is hovering over the field ,at least the smart ones won't joe
Old 04-05-2013, 05:19 PM
Mr.lucky

This practice must make for intresting landings. Makes me wonder how AMA might respont to this clubs approach to safety. Where is this club I would like to see this for myself. stupid!
Old 04-05-2013, 05:22 PM
jefflangton
My Feedback: (23)

I once stood in front of a mustang on approach and caught it out of the air because the retracts failed. Oh I'm sorry, someone here wouldn't approve of that!!!! Turn on your spell ckeck, move out of your moms basement and learn to breathe through your nose!!!! This isnt in response to mr lucky either
Old 04-05-2013, 05:54 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

IF YOU NEED TO GO ONTO THE RUNWAY IT WOULD BE ADVISABLE TO HAVE A SECOND PERSON WITH YOU FOR GUIDANCE WHILE RETURNING TO THE FLIGHT BOX AREA.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:46 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

SO IF ALL THE FLYERS SAY GO FOR IT STAND BEHIND FOR THE FIRST FLIGHT WHATS THE BIG DEALILL BET THAT NOT ONE PERSON HAS DONE IT RIGHT AT THE FIELD AT ONE TIME OR THE OTHER
Old 04-05-2013, 07:04 PM
astrohog

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys crack me up!!!

Because it's an option and they choose to do it differently.
So your answer is that they choose to?

An obvious expert pilot such as yourself
Please don't put words in my mouth. Nowhere did I call myself an expert pilot.

even you might find it a bit easier to keep your airplane straight on take off if you were standing behind it. Simple physics says that the sooner you recognize that the airplane is diverging from the intended course the sooner you can correct for said divergence with the end result being a more accurate take off. Either that or you have special talents that other mere mortals do not possess.
If you had read or could comprehend what I have been saying, you would realize that you just reiterated what I have been saying! It is EASIER to take off from behind the plane, therefore requiring less skill. That is precisely why these folks are doing it this way!

HAHA! While I have NEVER had to stand behind my plane in order to take off, I certainly don't consider taking off from the pilots station a feat that requires, "special talents that other mere mortals do not possess."

You're simply not being honest if you argue that it's easier to see and correct when standing to the side of your aircraft then it is when standing behind it.
Please don't continue to mis-quote me. I never said it was EASIER to see and correct from the side. Once again, you just reiterated MY point. It is a bit harder and requires a bit more skill and practice to fly difficult to handle airplanes from the pilot station, but it certainly doesn't take super-human skills to do so! When did EASIER become "better"?

When did having a discussion or debate become arguing?

Regards,

Astro

Old 04-05-2013, 07:20 PM
kerrydel

My question is, what do you do if this brand new plane flames out shortly after take off? Run off the runway? Land it and hope you don't get hit? Just seems like a dumb idea to me.

Maybe I'm the ONLY one who's ever had a new plane have engine problems during the first few flights?

Kerry
Old 04-05-2013, 07:23 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok guys, time to put the anger and egos in neutral and STOP right now. If you can't discuss this issue without attacking those that you don't agree with then you should avoid getting into the discussion. Because if these attacks don't stop, and stop right now, I'm going to start putting some people in a Time Out. This kind of behavior needs to stop RIGHT NOW.

Ken
Old 04-05-2013, 07:46 PM
Chad Veich

Because it's an option and they choose to do it differently.
So your answer is that they choose to?
Yes, that's my answer.

An obvious expert pilot such as yourself
Please don't put words in my mouth. Nowhere did I call myself an expert pilot.
Not putting words in your mouth, just an observation from my perspective. I apologize if it is incorrect.

even you might find it a bit easier to keep your airplane straight on take off if you were standing behind it. Simple physics says that the sooner you recognize that the airplane is diverging from the intended course the sooner you can correct for said divergence with the end result being a more accurate take off. Either that or you have special talents that other mere mortals do not possess.
If you had read or could comprehend what I have been saying, you would realize that you just reiterated what I have been saying! It is EASIER to take off from behind the plane, therefore requiring less skill. That is precisely why these folks are doing it this way!
I read and comprehend just fine. I was simply explaining why some modeler's may choose to do it this way. Your question was essentially "if they can then why don't they?" I was answering your question. If you already knew the answer then why did you ask the question?

I certainly don't consider taking off from the pilots station a feat that requires, ''special talents that other mere mortals do not possess.''
Nor do I. If you could comprehend what I was saying then you would have understood that what I consider "special talent" would be a pilot finding it easier to take off when standing to the side of his airplane then it is when standing behind it. Most flyers CAN take off while standing to the side, and they do, but I've yet to meet one who would argue that it is EASIER to do so. Again, I was just expounding on why some pilots may choose to take off from behind the airplane when it is an option.

You're simply not being honest if you argue that it's easier to see and correct when standing to the side of your aircraft then it is when standing behind it.
Please don't continue to mis-quote me. I never said it was EASIER to see and correct from the side.
Nowhere in this discussion have I quoted you. I said IF you were to try and argue said point then you were not being honest, or you had special talents. It's now a moot point since you have conceded that it is easier to take off while standing behind the airplane.

Once again, you just reiterated MY point. It is a bit harder and requires a bit more skill and practice to fly difficult to handle airplanes from the pilot station, but it certainly doesn't take super-human skills to do so! When did EASIER become ''better''?
The discussion was never about what was better and I would argue that you have actually reiterated my point, and answered your own question.

When did having a discussion or debate become arguing?
"Arguing" a point when debating is pretty common practice.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:49 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Conrod

Are pilots allowed to stand on the runway behind their plane for take off in your club.
Our club allows this, I myself think the practice is dangerous what do others think?
At least it clearly warns everyone else at the field that someone is about to fly above their ability.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:54 PM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: JohnVH

ORIGINAL: Conrod

Are pilots allowed to stand on the runway behind their plane for take off in your club.
Our club allows this, I myself think the practice is dangerous what do others think?
At least it clearly warns everyone else at the field that someone is about to fly above their ability.
I don't think the clubs I fly at have a rule specifically about this issue, although they do have rules about standing on the runway which pretty much make it a no-no. That said, I really don't think that anyone would object if the pilot were to make his request known to the other flyers on the field and proper precautions were taken.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:56 PM
astrohog

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ad hominem, ad hominem, ad hominem
Old 04-05-2013, 08:24 PM
Dreddi
My Feedback: (3)

When first getting started in RC I was flying my .46 size trainer with some friends. I had the wonderful experience of standing behind and off the side of the runway during a takeoff. While walking back behind the flight line I slipped in a bare spot in the grass and fell. My transmitter hit the ground despite my efforts and knocked the battery out of it. My airplane had just lifted off and went into some tall grass off the far end of the runway, miraculously no damage was suffered. I suppose Walking and flying can be compared to texting and driving!
Old 04-05-2013, 09:07 PM
Scrubmonkey

well at our club you have to stand in the pilots box (about 20mx20m) when taking off or landing. only exception is if hand launcing you may stand just outside in order to launch without hitting anybody. we also have lines marked on the runway which you are not allowed to take off before to stop planes veering into the piolts box on take off.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:30 AM
outdoorhunting

Hey guys. What is it now? 4 pages of same old- same old discussion. I'm getting very bored ! I think I'll go flying. The rest of you guys, hang out here & rehash all this time after time, after time.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:23 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Batteries charging , and glue drying here ! Rumor is the first turbine ever on our smallish field may test fly today...
Old 04-06-2013, 05:27 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like over 3 decades ago, we were flaying out of an abandoned runway in Argentina. you left the car off-the runway, and set up "on" the runway. this was a arid area, so, no grass, and a lot off gravel off-the runway.

To take off, you made sure nobody was coming in to land, and you were standing "behind" the model to take off. It worked well. You normally walked towards the side of the runway carefully.

Like after a year, the club decided to change the operations, and we were (with the cars, models, etc) on a taxiway (less dust), and flew off the runway (similar to what most of us do here in the US).

Both systems work. I think standing behind the model might seem to be easier. After all, if you fly a glider, and use a hi-start, that is what you are doing. If you hand-launch your small electric, that is what you are doing (standing behind the model on takeoff).

I do not see this practical in a club w/a lot of members, or many models in the air at the same time...

Gerry
PS: After all, we all have pilots on the filed all the time. Picking up a crashed model, retrieving a dead stick landing, a model that had a prop strike, or that is otherwise unable to taxi back (like some foamies and gliders...). No big deal as long as people state their intentions...
Old 04-06-2013, 06:01 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in several clubs and on some large Airplane maidens depending on the pilot skill level we allow him to stand be hind it on TO but the other club members have the courtisy to stay on the ground for the maiden.

I would much rather see a less competent pilot take off on a 45 or 90 degree angle to the flight station (Fence) then attempt a take off that might endanger others.

In one club I used to be a member of they had a policy that NO matter who U were Student or Chip Hyde type U passed a 10 maneuver test witnessed by two club instructors in order to fly solo. I proposed this at another club I'm in and make it retroactive. Well That caused such an uproar that that they were looking for a rope and a large Oak Tree.

. Some people should not be in this hobby and every club has one or two and we all know who they are.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:08 AM
joebahl

ORIGINAL: HoundDog

I'm in several clubs and on some large Airplane maidens depending on the pilot skill level we allow him to stand be hind it on TO but the other club members have the courtisy to stay on the ground for the maiden.

I would much rather see a less competent pilot take off on a 45 or 90 degree angle to the flight station (Fence) then attempt a take off that might endanger others.

In one club I used to be a member of they had a policy that NO matter who U were Student or Chip Hyde type U passed a 10 maneuver test witnessed by two club instructors in order to fly solo. I proposed this at another club I'm in and make it retroactive. Well That caused such an uproar that that they were looking for a rope and a large Oak Tree.

. Some people should not be in this hobby and every club has one or two and we all know who they are.

Yep we know who they are .they are the ones who have flown forever but because of old age their eyes and reflexes are going but they still bring out big planes to crash and scare the rest of the club. These are the same old flyers that hit the gas pedel in their car and meant to hit the brake and run into a store . I can say this because iam pushing 60 but when its time for me to stop flying /driving or riding my motorcycle and just build models i will know it and do so . joe
Old 04-06-2013, 07:25 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

We always have a huge blowup when guys try to fly from outside the pilot boxes... I remember an argument one day that really got hot about this...(I was not a participant)... Nobody wants to hit another person, just for that reason, it is easier on everyone's nerves to fly from the designated flight boxes so we know where everyone is when things go bad. So.... what ever the local flight rules are... follow them. If you cannot adapt... go somewhere else to fly. Don't make everyone adapt to you.

You can always fly the simulator to adjust to a different pilot viewpoint. I like to stand in a certain box each time, and I will wait until it is available... anytime you are in the flight path... there is danger involved just because you accept that risk does not mean that everyone else does.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:32 AM
akcub

ORIGINAL: flyinwalenda

I and the competent veteran pilots will continue to takeoff planes standing behind them when we feel it's necessary. You can continue sitting in the chair arguing minutiae all day long with the other "like minded" folks at your field.!
+1 and again +1
Old 04-06-2013, 07:43 AM
joebahl

ORIGINAL: akcub

ORIGINAL: flyinwalenda

I and the competent veteran pilots will continue to takeoff planes standing behind them when we feel it's necessary. You can continue sitting in the chair arguing minutiae all day long with the other ''like minded'' folks at your field.! [img][/img]
+1 and again +1
+1 here too . joe
Old 04-06-2013, 08:34 AM
sweatybetty

after reading all 4 pages of this thread, it makes me thankful that i belong to a club where everyone is  laid back, relaxed and just wanting to fly and have a good time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.