Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

RCU is really starting to suck

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

RCU is really starting to suck

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 04:04 PM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCU is really starting to suck

I cant say if it is "beginning to suck" or not, but I can say that I am looking at all of this and thinking to myself "all water under the bridge at this point in the game". I don't see as much being done as quickly and effectively as it either could or should be done considering the amount of time investment members make to the site. If it isn't "beginning to suck", it won't be long before it does because the site will only ever be a direct reflection of the time it's members are willing to make for it, and no one will be willing to make time investment when problem history has been what it has under whatever management has had them. Explaining problems now hasn't favorably changed my own outlook on this at all. It may for others, but for me it probably brings to light how drastically my own esteem for the site has changed over the years. Just sayin.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:07 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I for one have to say that after the past week of pretty much not being able to use RCU I have partaked more of the other forums. And it suck's, not the sites they work fine, there just is not enough traffic to entertain a good conversation. I really learn a lot from the question, comments, and even the rhetoric. Kindea helps me see thing's I would ordinarily not see until much later or to late. I have accumulated many web friends that I have conversed with and intermingle with that would more than likely not go elsewhere, and I would truly miss them if I left. So I really, really, really, hope they get RCU fixed. When working right it is truly a marvelous universe to mingle with like minded, share our joy, and build long distance friendships.
I will also say I do believe Internet Brands is giving it an honest effort. In all the years, with all the problems, they have never shut the site down temporarily like they did today. So I will give them the benefit of a doubt and hang around. I would truly miss you guys.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:44 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gee Ace, that's really touching.  You're starting to make me cry.... 

Really though, I have to agree.  I've learned a lot here and made friends as well.  I'll stick it out, what have I got to loose?
Old 04-10-2013, 05:34 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I have about 3 weeks left on my current thread, we shall see if it is working by the end of the thread.

I will lose my mind if this site goes off the deep end during another build thread. Too much time and effort goes into supporting a thread with updates and pics to have it become useless. You know the old saying" A picture is worth a 1,000 words" I can't type enough to make up for the lack of pics
Old 04-10-2013, 09:10 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RCKen
However, there is light at the end of the tunnel
Not trying to bash BUT I'll believe it when I see it. I've been through several software conversions and they were all a pain in the arse. The tech experts alwase have a ton of crap to work out that they didn't see comming or didnt think of. Hold on to your seats it's going to be a rough ride.

Rrragman
Old 04-11-2013, 01:19 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Starting? Starting to suck? You just noticed!?
Old 04-11-2013, 01:43 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

ORIGINAL: acerc

Well I for one have to say that after the past week of pretty much not being able to use RCU I have partaked more of the other forums. And it suck's, not the sites they work fine, there just is not enough traffic to entertain a good conversation. I really learn a lot from the question, comments, and even the rhetoric. Kindea helps me see thing's I would ordinarily not see until much later or to late. I have accumulated many web friends that I have conversed with and intermingle with that would more than likely not go elsewhere, and I would truly miss them if I left. So I really, really, really, hope they get RCU fixed. When working right it is truly a marvelous universe to mingle with like minded, share our joy, and build long distance friendships.
I will also say I do believe Internet Brands is giving it an honest effort. In all the years, with all the problems, they have never shut the site down temporarily like they did today. So I will give them the benefit of a doubt and hang around. I would truly miss you guys.
What? You will miss us? What a load of garbage! First of all, you never wished me a happy birthday, never bought me a drink, never invited me to your house for any of your parties, BBQ's, or dinners. Never sent me a Christmas card, never offered to help me, and never said you're sorry for anything!

Geeze! I even have to sneak around with your wife every time she and I get together! Because of you, I have to take her to dinner in nearby towns instead of the local restaurants! Do you honestly think this is simple for us to do ALL THE TIME? You come home at different hours of the day, so I never know if I will end up leaving your house through the back door or bedroom window. And the time I had to hide in the closet for three hours before you FINALLY walked out of the bedroom so I could gather my clothes from under the bed before jumping out the bedroom window! That's why your wife finally removed the rose bush from the outside of that window! OUCH !!! All the trouble you caused me! What an ingrate!

And now you spend endless hours in front of your computer at home making it nearly impossible for your wife and I to have any time together in your house. That isn't always easy for us to have our quickies. Now she has to come up with different "friends" she has to visit, or those long absences at the "shopping mall" when she comes home and has to keep telling you she couldn't find anything to buy that week, or those "long walks" she takes. She is running out of excuses. She is worried that you may get suspicious in another year or two.

And god-forbid you really ever find out that I've been sleeping with your wife for the past six years! I just bet you'd somehow blame me or your wife for that too!

So don't be giving me any lies about how you would miss me.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:00 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

I can see both sides of this coin. I think one of the problems is that most of us like RCU based on the market place and the folks that post to the forums and the wealth of knowledge shared. There is truly a common care for the environment.

I work in IT and have for many, many years. If our web sites operated like this one has for the last two years, my whole crew would be out of here never to return! There are many variables that we are not privy to and that is understandable. One thing I don't get is why there cannot be some sort of status given to RCU customers concerning the site.

I like RCU and also do agree it has been a struggle now for two years and as some say "same old song and dance". My RC Internet time has now been shared among several other forums due to poor web service with RCU. RCU used to be my main "haunt" but for two years it has had to share with other RC sites. RCU was a "glove" fit for me since I got into RC.

I am still hopeful though and trying to really be patient, yet very discouraged. RCU has so much to offer and the Market Place simply rocks when it works well! I appreciate all the work that was put into the Market Place and think that at least a status message would be helpful for those of us they have no clue what is going on.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:09 AM
TFF

I have to agree it is better here when it works. Nice people on all the sites, but I find more like minded people here. I really could get by without looking at any of them, and that is what I would more than likely do. Visit occasionally. Get it fixed or the exodus will make it half of members it has now, and I bet most will just pass than change.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:48 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Sometimes with software its better to start over than try to fix the old stuff
Old 04-11-2013, 06:03 AM
redbiscuits
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400
What? You will miss us? What a load of garbage! First of all, you never wished me a happy birthday, never bought me a drink, never invited me to your house for any of your parties, BBQ's, or dinners. Never sent me a Christmas card, never offered to help me, and never said you're sorry for anything!

Geeze! I even have to sneak around with your wife every time she and I get together! Because of you, I have to take her to dinner in nearby towns instead of the local restaurants! Do you honestly think this is simple for us to do ALL THE TIME? You come home at different hours of the day, so I never know if I will end up leaving your house through the back door or bedroom window. And the time I had to hide in the closet for three hours before you FINALLY walked out of the bedroom so I could gather my clothes from under the bed before jumping out the bedroom window! That's why your wife finally removed the rose bush from the outside of that window! OUCH !!! All the trouble you caused me! What an ingrate!

And now you spend endless hours in front of your computer at home making it nearly impossible for your wife and I to have any time together in your house. That isn't always easy for us to have our quickies. Now she has to come up with different ''friends'' she has to visit, or those long absences at the ''shopping mall'' when she comes home and has to keep telling you she couldn't find anything to buy that week, or those ''long walks'' she takes. She is running out of excuses. She is worried that you may get suspicious in another year or two.

And god-forbid you really ever find out that I've been sleeping with your wife for the past six years! I just bet you'd somehow blame me or your wife for that too!

So don't be giving me any lies about how you would miss me.

That's just wrong on so many levels.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:29 AM
acerc

Whom ever did it "Thank You"!
Old 04-11-2013, 06:32 AM
Live Wire

Whom ever did it ''Thank You''!
Please explain[]
Old 04-11-2013, 06:37 AM
redbiscuits
My Feedback: (6)

Whom ever did it ''Thank You''!
Good to see the mods are on top of it in here.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:52 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Well guys, I'm not going to say anything you all have said is wrong. I totally understand where you are coming from and where your frustrations are. But I can tell you that I am seeing things in a whole new light. I just got home from The Toledo Show and I got to spend the weekend with the Marketing Director that IB has given RCU to. She showed me the plans and timeline for the upgrades. I've also had a the chance to be in on a few conference calls over the last few days that have left me with renewed hope that things are going to get fixed finally here.
When IB purchased RCU they thought it would be a fairly easy transition to VBulletin. In fact, Internet Brands owns VBulletin so nobody knows better how to transition to it. And with over 500 online communities under their belt they have faced tranisitioning custom software before. However, they have never met a beast as big as RCU is. Even IB admits it was a bigger job than they thought it would be. They spent the better part of 2012 trying to transition us to VBulletin. But around 3rd quarter they realized what they were working for wasn't going to happen so they stopped, stepped back, and regrouped. They started 2013 with a new budget and a new plan to upgrade RCU to the new software platform, and their goal is to make this happen as quickly as humanly possible. I can't tell you exactly when this upgrade will be public, but I can tell you that I have seen with my own eyes the very first beta of the new VBulletin version of RCU. They have given myself and a select team of Moderators access to the new site so that we can start finding all the issues that need to be taken care of before we launch. While this is only the first step in the entire process (and granted it might only be a baby step), but it indeed the first step in the getting us there. I for one am totally re-energized about the future of RCU.
To address a few concerns that some may have. Yesterday. All I can say is "Holy Cow"!!!!! IB had planned to migrate us to a faster server cluster, both to improve our performance and to prep for the migration. From what I have learned so far is that a storage component died during the migration that just totally crated everything. This was more like a case of Murphy's Law kicking in than anything else. But I do know that the plan moving forward isn't to do one big migration, but rather they now plan on migrating a few servers at a time to the new cluster.
As far as old threads and pictures go. In my talks yesterday I stressed to the IB people that this needs to be a priority. I told them that nothing is going to piss of members more than to see the work that they put in on a build thread, or any other long thread, simply disappear. I stressed that we need to make every effort to ensure that all of those past archived threads are going to be available to the members. The people I was talking to understood and said they would do anything they could to make that happen.
After talking to all the people from IB I can assure you that they are fully committed to getting RCU fixed and that they do want to see us get back on top. Now I know it may be rough for some of you to have faith given the past history of tech problems, and I totally understand where you are coming from. But I will ask that you all bear with us just a little bit longer. Things are going to be fixed and we will be better than we have ever been.
Ken
Old 04-11-2013, 08:42 AM
acerc

I for one believe there is a change coming because of the site going offline the other day. That has never happened before and signals serious effort. So I will wait because like I said above, this past few weeks of it being horrible causing me to go to other site's has shown me there is no other site anywhere near the scope of RCU.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:13 PM
silverman1

I for one enjoy rcu, now I don't know about downloading pictures etc but the site has always been good to me. I am a rc car/truck/buggy/ truggy/etc type of guy. Compared to some other sites I use this one is really good.

My biggest complaint is the lack of interest in the sub groups in general, they are very stale. Lots of sub groups used to really kick it but have since become very dead, like truggies or monster trucks etc. Also searches for specific vehicles has been tough. A lot of guys get annoyed when you ask about a vehicle, they will say, use the search button! I do but find nothing. Otherwise I think they do a good job here!
Old 04-11-2013, 01:56 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

I find it interesting looking at the join dates of most of the people pointing these issues out. It's not the new members or even 5 year members. It's more of the early guys who made it through the original transition in 02.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:03 PM
acerc

What does our join date have to do with the site working or not working. It does not matter if Ijoined yesterday or fifteen years ago, if I can't get a photo to load I can't get a photo to load. I readlly don't understand your reasoning on the join date.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:13 PM
Live Wire

ORIGINAL: vicman

I find it interesting looking at the join dates of most of the people pointing these issues out. It's not the new members or even 5 year members. It's more of the early guys who made it through the original transition in 02.
You bet They say if you like some thing and want to keep it you stick with it. Well I have been here a few years have taken a lot from people and have given some back but this is some thing that IB was not planning on, They were looking at the profit with out the expense. It just don't work that way. If you want something done you have to stay on the problem till it is taken care of.
Larry K

I forgot we are just SPOILED
RC OutLaw
Old 04-11-2013, 02:33 PM
betarad

Man, you guys are serious! I commend you all for passionately wanting RCU to improve. Now for a little perspective....

I recently began building a kit I've had on the shelf for 15 years (Midwest AT-6), after a 10 year hiatus from the sport. One of the reasons I began building it was to spend more time at home while my dog was battling cancer. Going through it's courageous battle, and ultimately having to put her down.....now THAT sucked! Really.

That said, I'm now thoroughly enjoying my build, and I too look forward to an improved RCU.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:51 PM
rccrasher65
My Feedback: (35)

Gotta agree with you Robert, thats the only reason I'm hanging around.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:21 PM
G.Barber
My Feedback: (1)

I, too, was in Toledo this weekend with Ken. I can also attest to the fact that there is a change /update coming. Like Ken said, there is no specific date, and it's not nearly as easy as 'flipping a switch'.

Now, I never met the old owner of RCU, but I have heard enough information to understand that RCU, as it was purchased, may be compared to a '69 Ferrari - but a '69 Ferrari that was held together completely by Duct tape and baling wire. Imagine trying to turn this Ferrari into a brand new 2013 Ferrari. That, in itself, would be complicated. Imagine for a minute that you have no service manual to explain where and why the Duct tape and baling was added. Do any of you think that it would be an easy task to put it right, let alone make it shiny and new?

I, for one, am incredibly happy to see that Internet Brands is TRYING to make things better, and I hope all of you will be around on the day that IB turns the old into the new and WE ALL can be happy again!
Old 04-11-2013, 04:24 PM
pmerritt
My Feedback: (118)

There are some people that would ***** if they got hung with a new rope.  This is a free site people.  It costs you NOTHING to post, nothing to buy or sell, nothing to belong to for the hours of pleasure you receive.  If a week or so of moderate software issues destroys your life so bad you have to sit here and berate this site, you really have some problems in your existence. 
Give them time to make the upgrades and changes.  In the meanwhile, try getting out of that oversized chair and run around the block.  Hopefully that doesn't give you a stroke from exercising too much.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:32 PM
Yucholian
My Feedback: (7)

The site feels faster today than it has been in long time.
I hope I am not imagining things.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.