Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

RCU is really starting to suck

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

RCU is really starting to suck

Old 04-11-2013, 04:47 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCU is really starting to suck

pmerritt, it hasn't been a week or so of moderate sortware issues, it's been two years. And it doesn't matter whether we have to pay or not. When someone promises you a service of some kind, you expect them to deliver whether you have to pay or not. And we really do pay in a round about way. We buy products from the advertisers who do pay to advertise on this site. If we quit buying, and they quit paying IB with OUR MONEY, this site would shut down very quickly.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:24 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Robert,
It was simply and observation on the demograph. Sorry it went over your head.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:28 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whatever!
Old 04-11-2013, 07:15 PM
Neddy191
My Feedback: (2)

I've been around RCU for a long time. I may not post much but I've found this site invaluable. I'm going to try to stick it out - the other forums I visit just don't compare. It pisses me off as much as the next guy when I cant upload a pic or cant see a pic in old threads but I think it'll be worth the wait.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:36 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

test upload
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19683.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	1870696  
Old 04-11-2013, 08:18 PM
frets24
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ken mentioned a point that I think many of the folks here missed the magnitude of: one of the top priorities is to save the archived threads and especially save the archived photos.

Someone said that that it all would have been faster if they just started from scratch..."Too Right!!" It would have, and we would be on a really fast and shiney new RCU...unfortunately there would be no archives because just setting up a new site doesn't do squat for preserving over a decade's worth of posts and pictures. Thankfully IB is trying to be faithfull to the "history" within RCU and has not decided to just "start over", but rather do their best to preserve everything to the best of their ability.

How long do you think it takes to transfer over the content of over 15 million posts and a 1/2 of a million photos in the threads alone? Add to that several 10's of thousands of pics in the member galleries, hangars, garages, etc. Not to mention all of the membership data, profiles, market ratings, models, blogs, etc.

Then there are those who don't actually upload their pics to RCU but link them from Photobucket etc, so when you view the thread RCU is having to retrieve those photos on a regular basis and if the account has been wiped, corrupted or otherwise not instantly available then RCU's server is devoting increased resources to try to re-ping the request which takes resources away from active users; and the new servers and the new code has to allow for that feature as well.....the litany goes on.

Just a few items to ponder:
RC Monster Trucks forum; over 826K posts
RC Jets Forum; 789K+ posts
ARF's and RTF's forum; 376K+ posts
Club Saito thread: 972 pages, 25K+ posts, 1.38 MILLION views!

I have a few friends in IT with the banks here in Charlotte and have learned that within the "techie" community the issues here at RCU are known and discussed. The overwhelming consensus is "thank goodness we aren't having to figure out a transfer of that magnitude!!"

The insane thing is; We, as the casual member of this communiy, pay NOTHING for all of this to happen. The entertainment and social/technical tool we have available to us is incredible and we pay NOTHING!
My hat is off to IB for buying this site in the first place, thereby saving it from it's demise years ago; and then trying to save/retain the entirety of the info during a major upgrade in hopes of a decent (not humongous,) return on investment. This entire excercise is no mean feat. And folks want to punish IB, take their ball and go home, for it not being accomplished and perfected "really fast".

And because we aren't given instant gratification, all we can do is cry and moan over OUR inconveinience...WOW!! Don't think for a minute that I haven't been been right there with you, griping about the whole thing too! Then I mentioned RCU to one of my clients who then "splained the whole thing to me"...He was slack jawed with amazement that IB was even attempting the wholesale transfer at all AND providing an operating mirror site which is still open, active and growing at the same time!

Cheers

Old 04-12-2013, 02:48 AM
Hill202
My Feedback: (24)

I guess it's growing pains for RCU. The part of RCU that accepts payments for ads is sure working fine.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:52 AM
Altered1

This site is funded by the advertisers, and us, as members are a "captive, target audience" for those advertisers.

If IB was not making a profit, they would probably be looking to drop this site like a hot potato.

Happy members = happy advertisers = profits for the site owners.

Every page on here has several advertisements..... which you cannot miss! These adds generate profit for the site owner.

Good to see IB have realised that the history here, along with the membership is what makes this site valuable. Make no mistake - you as a member are a target for the advertisers.... how nice of RCU to gather all of you together!

Simply put: IB, Tell us what's going on. If you don't hit a target date, we do acknowledge the migration to a new system is no mean feat! - just tell us the issues and issue a new target "go-live" date. Keep us entertained with any new innovations or teasers about what the new site will do......

Having been involved in 5 major system migrations and upgrades for a large multinational..... I understand the enormity of the task, and I also know that things rarely go to plan. What I Hate, is being kept in the dark.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:34 AM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

I agree that this is a way bigger problem then we the average hobbyist can understand. The problem with whats going on is there is little to no information given to the users of this site to what is going on and what will be done, just hearsay and rumors. It would go a long way if IB would make a statement and tell us exactly what is going on and what is being done and a tentative time line. It would give the loyal users that fuel this site some reassurance that there efforts to fuel this site are not in vain. If there were no build threads, no discussions (with pictures) and no participation there would be no site no mater how fancy it is. So I think really all the membership here wants is to be told by IB what is going on, not from someone that heard from someone that heard from someone what is planned in the future.

TB
Old 04-12-2013, 03:48 AM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: vicman

I find it interesting looking at the join dates of most of the people pointing these issues out. It's not the new members or even 5 year members. It's more of the early guys who made it through the original transition in 02.

Being one of "the early guys", I must admit, I looked at the exact same thing Vic. Not to say that "the later guys" have put in less time or energy or have any less right to the justification of their feelings either.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:44 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Been here since the beginning after coming from the 'ol RCOnline, glad to hear that IB is going to take RCU's problems seriously....

Hope the transition to vBulletin is sooner than later, that's a very good piece of forum software! Many of the other forums I've been on use and/or migrated to it. 
Old 04-12-2013, 05:49 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Guys, I totally understand your frustration about not knowing what is going on. And I have to admit that until last weekend I was pretty much in the dark as well. But after meeting people from IB last weekend, and participating in conference calls with them that has completely changed. I will now make all of you this promise, just as soon as I know something I will pass it on to you as a community. In the past there was several "blocks" in the flow of information from IB to RCU, and vice versa. But those blocks are now gone and you'll be seeing info flowing from IB quickly now.
As I have said, IB is fast tracking the transfer of RCU to VBulletin. As was mentioned above in this thread, the sheer size of RCU makes this an undertaking that is simply huge. If I had a date to give you for the transfer I would give it. But right now IB is making their second attempt at moving us. When they purchased RCU they didn't realize the full size of this site and thought it would be an easy transfer. But because of the size of the site, and the highly modified custom platform RCU was/is running on, the initial attempts to move us went wonky. At the end of 2012 IB stepped back to scratch, came up with a new game plan, allocated the money to do this right, and is now going at it again with a different approach. As soon as they can get a target date for the transfer they will pass it to me and I'll pass it down to RCU.
I know that it doesn't seem to be getting better, but it is slowly. IB is currently migrating us to a faster server cluster in order to make things run faster now, and make the transfer to VBulletin go smoothly. There are other backend changes going on as well that are going to make life in the short term better.
My goal for today is to get on the phone to IB and find out when we can expect to get our images back. I know that is huge and I'll do what I can toexpeditethe process
Hope this helps
Ken
Old 04-12-2013, 06:01 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

The reason it's the earlier dates on the "Joiners" is most are Retired now and don't really have a life outside of our (flying addition) Hobby? I didn't retire to

"WORK" <- 4 letter Word

Old 04-12-2013, 06:10 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: RCKen

But those blocks are not gone and you'll be seeing info flowing from IB quickly now.
Should read
"But those blocks are NOW gone and you'll be seeing info flowing from IB quickly now"
:-) call me picky.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:25 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Thanks for catching that typo Jim!!!!  

I've fixed it now

Ken
Old 04-12-2013, 06:43 AM
33willys

Have not been here too long but it's free. I'm also on several other sites for other "special interest" groups and they are also free. Lots of infor on these sites and find them invaluable during my learning curve. I get questions answered quickly and spend time in the "search" mode. All that for free! By the way, I read the ads too.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:50 AM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: RCKen

As far as old threads and pictures go. In my talks yesterday I stressed to the IB people that this needs to be a priority. I told them that nothing is going to piss of members more than to see the work that they put in on a build thread, or any other long thread, simply disappear. I stressed that we need to make every effort to ensure that all of those past archived threads are going to be available to the members. The people I was talking to understood and said they would do anything they could to make that happen.
Ken,

thanks for your informative post (only partially quoted).

Now that management and infrastructure is changing, I also look forward to a better and improved RCU in the days to come.

However, as you mention above, the existing content and the effort and time put into the creation of a build thread that spans years is unquestionable. One can have a site with all the bells and whistles and latest software (which is nice I admit) and hardware upgrades but if the "history" of a site cannot be preserved in any and all of those transitions, you (not you personally) will wind up with a group of disenchanted members.

In short, the preservation of threads (especially the "craft build threads", although all of them are important) is not only a priority, it is of cardinal importance. If the broken threads which are now a vestige of their original selves are not restored to 99% (I'll offer a 1% margin for human error), there will be a massive migratory flock from this site to other more fertile pastures (birds and mammals alike will be moving earth and sky). The initiator and founder of the forum I frequent the most (classic pattern) has already publicly stated he's left and that was a sad reality check.

I'd venture that if the broken threads (that have now been so for years) are not restored, no measure of IB effort will bring back the members; at least not for quite a while and particularly in light of the existence of other sites that have been offering a solid exchange platform.

I'm sure the above is all plain to you. It will be a matter of whether big business acknowledges this too and undertakes the required action.

Regards, David

P.S. This thread is moving faster than I can type so thanks for the ongoing updates.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:01 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

ORIGINAL: doxilia

However, as you mention above, the existing content and the effort and time put into the creation of a build thread that spans years is unquestionable. One can have a site with all the bells and whistles and latest software (which is nice I admit) and hardware upgrades but if the "history" of a site cannot be preserved in any and all of those transitions, you (not you personally) will wind up with a group of disenchanted members.

In short, the preservation of threads (especially the "craft build threads", although all of them are important) is not only a priority, it is of cardinal importance. If the broken threads which are now a vestige of their original selves are not restored to 99% (I'll offer a 1% margin for human error), there will be a massive migratory flock from this site to other more fertile pastures (birds and mammals alike will be moving earth and sky). The initiator and founder of the forum I frequent the most (classic pattern) has already publicly stated he's left and that was a sad reality check.
Trust me, as the author of several very long build threads nobody knows this better than I do. So I'd be just as upset with my threads disappearing as any of you would be!!

Ken
Old 04-12-2013, 09:47 AM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Excellent!

David
Old 04-12-2013, 09:56 AM
miklos
My Feedback: (38)

So why is it that the ad banners have no problem positing pictures.....
Old 04-12-2013, 10:36 AM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: miklos

they pay $$$$ we don't !

Old 04-12-2013, 10:43 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: miklos

Actually over the last couple of days I've seen several banner ads with broken images.
I think Ken has brought us as much concrete info as is available.... I'm as frustrated as anyone.
IMHO the best news is that the light at the end of the tunnel IS becoming more clear, and is NOT an oncoming train
I'm hanging in there!
Old 04-12-2013, 11:11 AM
jbarnes

As a IT project manager for a large corporation I can tell you that migrations are difficult and always involve a end user impact along the way. To achieve a successful outcome you must have end user buy in. To get that you must educate the end user on the plan and identify key milestones. As milestones are met users see progress to the end plan and make the necessary sacrifices to achieve the end goal. I hear mention of activities to prep for the transition to new RCU. I see no reason that a professional IT group supporting this site would not make the migration activities known to the end users. The negative comments are a result of no documented evidence that anything has been done in the past or is currently going on to make the site better. Poor communication further erodes the end user experience. Jerry
Old 04-12-2013, 11:48 AM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

what i've noticed is that you cant load any pictures when your posting an airplane to sell on RCU market.. I noticed that the over all the quality has noticibly delicned or some one in the IT department is definatly on vacation...and I just hope that it is some one is on vacation!
Old 04-12-2013, 12:03 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

I can't remember if it was in this thread, or one of the many other on RCU about the image upload problem, where I promised that I would forward any information that I received in order to keep all of our members better informed. Anyway, whether I did or not I'm still going to give you guys the info that I have received.

I know that the image upload issue has been going of for a few days now, but I've got some info about what's going on. Earlier this week IB tried to migrate us to a faster server cluster in order to get better performance out of RCU. During that migration a storage device went bad and caused the entire migration to totally crater, which resulted in the "Pardon our dust" banner showing for a good part of Wednesday. The tech department restored to the pre-migration backup and decided to take care of the migration a couple of servers at a time, instead of all of them at once. They think that the image upload issue is tied in with the storage device that went bad and it should come back up and work properly once the server migration is completed. Unfortunately I don't have the target for that completion, but I know that they are working as fast as they can to take care of it. 

So hopefully we'll get our images back working soon. I promise that if I receive any other news about this I will pass it on to you guys. 

This week I have new communications with IB that I have never had before, so I promise that I will pass on every scrap of news that I can get for everybody. I know most of you don't like being a mushroom and I'm going to do whatever I can to make sure that you aren't treated like that from now on.

Ken

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.