Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Is it just me, or have posts really dropped off lately?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Is it just me, or have posts really dropped off lately?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 01:46 AM
IronZ
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it just me, or have posts really dropped off lately?

Am I imagining things, or has the posting really slacked off? There seem to be a lot less new posts lately. It can't be the new site because it's just not that difficult to use. Oh well, maybe it's just me.....
Old 09-19-2003, 04:34 AM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Is it just me, or have posts really dropped off lately?

i've noticed it too, i'm getting just as many e-mail alerts, but i can wipe 4/5's of them as copys.
Old 09-19-2003, 05:46 AM
Jim C.

hey philly.. do you ever fly man?? lol 3335 posts. oh wait.. i just now see where your from...hehehehe i should say does it ever stop raining there TO fly!!!!??!??? [8D]
Old 09-19-2003, 05:54 AM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

two months worth of good weather mate, been a great summer, just no job = lots of RCU time
Old 09-19-2003, 08:20 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I noticed a lack of posts right after the change, but now that things are running a bit more smoothly, posts seem to be up again. I am also seeing LOTS of new "faces"
Old 09-19-2003, 10:23 AM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

I remember a time where I could load the clubhouse page and have stuff to read.
Now after a 4 our break I'm lucky to see one new thread.

Most of the amusing threads (LOL) are now gone
But like an addict I come back for more.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:30 AM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

An interesting observation...since the switch, the number of Guests has always out numbered the number of Registered Users.

I can log in from 2 computers at work. On this computer, it shows 380 Registered Users and 680 Guests.

But on the other computer, it shows 159 Registered Users and 179 Guests.

So something don't jibe....
Old 09-19-2003, 10:33 AM
S1Pitts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been surfing & researching info on this site for some time now. Finally bit & joined as as I felt I may have something to contribute. I find myself with a lot of a** time ( See this for my a** time reason http://www.sunshinecable.com/~randr/legxrays.html ) & I spend it here posting instead of in my shop building! This is far too addictive.
BTW--I donot recommend others following the "forced 6 month building plan".
KR
Old 09-19-2003, 10:41 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know if it has slowed, or if I have just not been as interested. I find I am not posting as much. Might be that I am just more busy at work right now and don't have as much time as usual.

Hopefully its that I am just more busy. I enjoy cruisin the board and helping people.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:15 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I hang out at four sites, and have noticed a decrease at all four of them. Must be the weather.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:42 AM
Crashem

I too noticed the reduction in posts recently... hopefully its just the weather and not the beginnings of a sitewide decline.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:36 PM
RickVB
My Feedback: (24)

I have to say that my participation, while not gigantic in the past, is much lower now, and this is purely due to the new site format. I concede it's possible that it will come back as I get used to the new site, but I still contend that it requires 100% more clicking and searching to get to what I'm interested in than the old site, even with the hacked-in old features. Thus, I lose motivation to find threads I could contribute to much earlier than in the past. Sorry guys, but that's how I feel about it.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:47 PM
UK Flier

Not in the same league as you guys for posting, but love the way I can ask a question before I go to bed and wake up to the answer next morning.

It's a great forum , perhaps quality is more important than quantity, and there is certainly plenty of quality.

Always looking for threads where I can help others the same way I've been helped.

An addict
Old 09-19-2003, 03:03 PM
mvigod
Banned

4 factors contributing to decline here. I have seen about 25% falloff

Factors:

A) Guys cannot get logged into to post. If they cannot login due to lost password or changed email (can't send new pass to email that does not exist anymore) then they aren't logging in. We are going through email requests manually to get these guys all back online.

B) Posting javascript errors with the popup post window. This forum was requiring you to post in a window that popped up. A large portion of our membership could not post because of this. We have just today added back the quick reply box to stop half this problem but the inlinse new thread and full reply code is still in progress and due out shortly. Once complete this will have an impact.

C) Can't teach an old dog new tricks syndrom - as expected we would see an initial dropoff from those who refuse to take 20 minutes to learn where a few new buttons are and get accustomed to the new header and extra tools or features.

D) Also some felt that it was immoral for RCU to charge a fee to post an ad. Some said it was fine for ebay or amazon to charge but not RCU. Well, I applied for charitable status from the IRS but it was a no go as I'm sure you could imagine. As such the 4 full time employees that bring you this site and all the stuff that goes with it must be compensated for their 12-16 hour days. I routinely talk to all members of the RCU cast from 9AM all the way up until 2AM several times a week as we all work tirelessly to bring you this site. We have families and cannot work for free. Those who believe that charging is evil have left to greener pastures.

Worth noting is that no other rc site can you put your used stuff online for sale with more buyers than RC Universe. So you have to ask yourself if you list on another site with less viewers what will it really cost you? If your item is $200 and you get $185 had you sold it on RCU since we have more buyers versus say $160 on another site. In the end the $1.25 you didn't pay to list on RCU cost you $23.75 out of your own pocket net.

Right now is the best time to relist your item on this site. We purged all ads from the old site. Instead of being 1 in 6000 ads you can be 1 in 1000 giving more exposure. Also it is currently free to list your ad. It costs zero, zilch, nada. The reason I bring this up is because those who left and subscribe to point "D" just don't seem to understand this fact just yet.
Old 09-19-2003, 03:03 PM
mvigod
Banned

Oops...there is also an "E".

E) if you setup MyForums when you click "new posts" you will now only see posts from your chosen forums rather than all the forums on RCU hence the number WILL always be lower.
Old 09-19-2003, 03:07 PM
Henderson

I joined in late August after ghosting for a while. I can't really comment on "the big change" because it happened shortly after i joined, therefore i wasn't that accustomed to the old site. However, the posts have definitely dropped off sharply over the last couple weeks or so. I'm sure one reason is that school/college is back in session. Figure a few more lost at least temporarily because of the new site. Beyond that, i dunno.
Old 09-19-2003, 03:19 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

My experience is that when there's a major change in a large forum community, several derivitive sites pop up fairly quickly. The overall traffic within a community goes up, but it's spread across lots of sites. Eventually the derivatives die out slowly because they fail to achieve a critical mass or don't have the right atmosphere and focus.

I've been involved with a Van Halen site for four years. It's the largest, best run VH forum. We've seen splinter groups form their own sites because of personal agendas or disagreements. This has happened dozens of times. The band itself created a forum, and that went the way of the rest as well. Each time our posting numbers dropped to a degree, and then returned after a short period.

The one really cool thing about these kinds of changes is that it allows people who might not have felt comfortable posting in the past to become more involved. It's always brought out great new contributers on that VH site, and I can already see that it's bringing out some new faces here, too.
Old 09-19-2003, 04:17 PM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, I never pictured you a head-banger Mike. Rock on!
Old 09-19-2003, 06:34 PM
S1Pitts

R/Cadmin I think you missed an important point in Post #14.
The wealth of info & expertise of the forum & it's members is invaluable. The fact that several product manufacturers as well as most suppliers have some form of representation here speaks volumes. It has saved me hundreds of dollars in "Bad" buying decisions. Info obtained recently guided me to my 1st purchase of a 3-D Fun type of aircraft of which I am completely satisfied with. I KNEW WHAT I WAS GETTING BEFORE I BOUGHT IT.
If somebody is torqued at paying a relatively small listing fee let them go to E-Bay & jump through their hoops. Even classifieds in a local paper cost a few bucks --- so what!
I belong to many forums in other non related fields. Many of them have gone to a format of selling a level of service --- eg. Sign in as a guest & you can view posts. Pay a small yearly fee & you can post. Pay a larger fee & now you can PM the forum
administrators, members + the representatives of the companies participating in the form, etc.
If you see the true value in this forum then there is really no problem.
KR
Long live Rock & Roll
Attached Images  
Old 09-19-2003, 07:59 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Admittedly, I have not been posting as much. The way the new posts show up make it harder to "skim" through. I'm hoping they find a way to 1) be able to sort the posts by forum and 2) have just the post titles show up and not all of the "re:..." posts.

I'm thinking given a couple more weeks, Marc and Michael will have fine tuned this even better than it is.
Old 09-19-2003, 08:56 PM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

I agree Mike-- It just seems to suddenly be "work" to post. I got to turn off my pop up blocker-- punch the reply-wait for the box to appear--no I don't have hi speed broadband --click the add signature, notify me by email, to attach a picture you wait for the other box to open, etc.....[]

Guess I am just lazy
Old 09-19-2003, 09:02 PM
PJAMESRC
My Feedback: (19)

S1Pitts
I THINK YOU HIT IT ON THE HEAD! THE TIME SAVED AND THE INTELLIGENT , THOUGHTFULL ANSWERS ARE TERRIFIC.
I FEEL THAT THE COST IS MINIMAL FOR WHAT WE RECEIVE. I HAVE SOME GREAT LAUGHS AT SOME OF THE BANTER THAT TAKES PLACE I LOVE IT. PJAMESRC
Old 09-19-2003, 09:49 PM
mvigod
Banned

All the fine tuning should be complete in 1-2 weeks at best if we stay on track.

Mike - all the stuff you mention is already code in progress. It is possible that some of this or all could even get done late next week if no hangups.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:53 PM
mvigod
Banned

ORIGINAL: MHawker-RCU

Admittedly, I have not been posting as much. The way the new posts show up make it harder to "skim" through. I'm hoping they find a way to 1) be able to sort the posts by forum and 2) have just the post titles show up and not all of the "re:..." posts.

I'm thinking given a couple more weeks, Marc and Michael will have fine tuned this even better than it is.

Ok...the new posts now shows threads with new posts in them instead of all the RE stuff.

I just have to get the coding done which will take you to the last unread post in that thread and that is done. This should be done and tested next week. If you think this is better than the other way we just had it let me know and I can keep it this way. If all the individual RE: posts was easier than this since you don't go to first unread I can change it back to the way it just was until the code is complete. Figured this might get us halfway there until the rest of the stuff is tested and put online.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:17 PM
WORNBOOTS
My Feedback: (33)

The posts have fallen off, but in the Suggestions and Problems & Questions Forums that's a Good thing.

The new site has many features that make it much better than the old, change is often a good thing.

There are other sites, and many here now were also part of the others. Some like Me have been signed up with other sites for a long tim, but dont make it their primary rc site.

I choose RCU as my main site because of the quality standards and level of moderation, it really helps when a site is kept clean.

Others will leave but you know most will come back, its just something about the way YOU have bent over backwards to give us this site.

Thank's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.