Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Camera and GPS Devices

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 05:06 PM
bywing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camera and GPS Devices

Are there any clubs out there that ban Cameras and gps devices on airplanes? Our club is considering this. It appears there is a lot of people with cameras on the planes. The main concern is we are close to a power plant, (but it is behind the flight line), and if the planes happens to crash on the power plant property, we could lose the field. Because the power plant actually owns the field. We lease it from them.

The first thing that everyone thinks of is somebody might use these devices in a bad way.

Any thoughts on this?
Old 05-22-2013, 05:52 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: Camera and GPS Devices

ORIGINAL: bywing

Are there any clubs out there that ban Cameras and gps devices on airplanes? Our club is considering this. It appears there is a lot of people with cameras on the planes. The main concern is we are close to a power plant, (but it is behind the flight line), and if the planes happens to crash on the power plant property, we could lose the field. Because the power plant actually owns the field. We lease it from them.

The first thing that everyone thinks of is somebody might use these devices in a bad way.

Any thoughts on this?
There will come a time , Likely sooner than later , when the act of strapping a camera or autonomous guidance system to an RC will remove it from the classification of RC hobby activity and place it legally into FAA regulated drone territory . I hate sounding like a broken record , BUT ! , if any of you gents really truly just HAVE to play with flyin cameras or your life won't be complete , ya best be joinin the military or maybe some other law enforcement entity as they will have the only legally flying cameras in the not too distant future . I personally don't like the idea of any restrictions that amount to "feel good legislation" but I am a realist and see that the powers that be are squarely aligned against civilians having unrestricted flights with flying cameras . Most hobbyists like ourselves see the good side of it only , the great looking pictures/videos from the bird's eye view of the plane . Most everyone else has been conditioned to see the potential evil in just about any unusual technology . Care to guess who's views will win out here ?

(edited for typos)
Old 05-22-2013, 07:01 PM
bywing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But has any club banned them yet that you of? your club?
Old 05-23-2013, 03:21 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: bywing

But has any club banned them yet that you of? your club?

I wouldn't worry about what other clubs do. I suggest that you contact your landlord and get their recommendation, and follow through with it.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:56 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I see it a little differently. Our hobby has been self-regulated since it began for one simple reason: we are safety conscious and don't do dumb and dangerous things with our planes. The AMA has put together a solid safety code for FPV flight, so we need to abide by it. If the pilots in your club will follow the AMA safety code, they won't do anything that would alarm anyone. If you wind up with a couple of goobers who just have to go get a closer look at the power plant or peek into someone's back yard, expel them from the club. That way if there ever is a complain or accusation your club safety officer can outline the club's policies on camera planes and show a record of staying beyond reproach. That builds trust with the community and shows lawmakers that you are a disciplined group that doesn't need anyone else looking over your shoulder to make sure you aren't being dangerous.