Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Anybody Else Sick of Memorial Day Corruption??

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Anybody Else Sick of Memorial Day Corruption??

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 07:19 PM
abelard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anybody Else Sick of Memorial Day Corruption??

How would you go about screening those people out?
Old 05-26-2013, 07:27 PM
abelard

Agreed all the way, but here's an improvement. How about if we ask bank clerks, teachers and mail carriers to go to work on Veterans Day and give veterans the day off so they can do whatever they want?
Old 05-27-2013, 01:07 AM
Rotten40851
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Memorial Day is really May 30th!!! Only thepolititions and greedy people who wanted a three dayweekendchanged it to the last monday in May. Pleaseremember tothank a Veteranoratthe very least say a prayer for our fallen Brothersand Sisters who have givin thier lives forthe United States of America, and to pray for all of our service men and women fighting in foriegn lands. God Bless America!!
Old 05-27-2013, 02:13 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From Wiki-pedia...

Memorial Day is a United States federal holiday which occurs every year on the final Monday of May.[1] Memorial Day is a day of remembering the men and women who died while serving in the United States Armed Forces.[2] Formerly known as Decoration Day, it originated after the American Civil War to commemorate the Union and Confederate soldiers who died in the Civil War. By the 20th century, Memorial Day had been extended to honor all Americans who have died while in the military service.[3] It typically marks the start of the summer vacation season, while Labor Day marks its end.

Many people visit cemeteries and memorials, particularly to honor those who have died in military service. Many volunteers place an American flag on each grave in national cemeteries.

Annual Decoration Days for particular cemeteries are held on a Sunday in late spring or early summer in some rural areas of the American South, notably in the mountains. In cases involving a family graveyard where remote ancestors as well as those who were deceased more recently are buried, this may take on the character of an extended family reunion to which some people travel hundreds of miles. People gather on the designated day and put flowers on graves and renew contacts with kinfolk and others. There often is a religious service and a "dinner on the ground," the traditional term for a potluck meal in which people used to spread the dishes out on sheets or tablecloths on the grass. It is believed that this practice began before the American Civil War and thus may reflect the real origin of the "memorial day" idea.[4]

Memorial Day is not to be confused with Veterans Day; Memorial Day is a day of remembering the men and women who died while serving, while Veterans Day celebrates the service of all U.S. military veterans.[5]

- - - - -
Oh, dear... I thought memorial day went beyond that (if possible) and was a memorial for all our friends and relatives resting eternally. It is not another sales opportunity. It is a solemn weekend of remembrance. Please let's always remember that.
- - - - -
Old 05-27-2013, 03:40 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Christmas is the one that I hate, due to it starting in October. Every holiday is has become to commercialized. Other then for my neice and nephew, (6 & 8), we no longer exchange gifts, but celebrate the holidays as a gaithering of family....well, those of us that are speaking....lol.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:59 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

I have to agree with you on that one. IMO, it should be federal law that every non-essential store is closed on memorial day so that it can be the day of observance that it is supposed to be.
Is your LHS essential? It is if you ran out of fuel yesterday.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:59 AM
abelard

IMO, it should be federal law that every non-essential store is closed on memorial day so that it can be the day of observance that it is supposed to be.
Oh, splendid. Let's celebrate those who fight for freedom by clamping down on other people's behavior.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:38 AM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: abelard

IMO, it should be federal law that every non-essential store is closed on memorial day so that it can be the day of observance that it is supposed to be.
Oh, splendid. Let's celebrate those who fight for freedom by clamping down on other people's behavior.
You mean the reason that service members fight and die isn't so that our government can impose onerous rules and regulations?
Old 05-27-2013, 08:06 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: abelard

How would you go about screening those people out?
abelard, that is an excellent question. I certainly wish that I had some excellent or even less than good working answer for you. However I don't! []

My complaint is that there are thousands of people being paid and/or cared for using my tax $$$, yet they don't believe in Christmas, yet they take the Holiday Pay, the days off work with Pay, and they don't fuss about that part of the American Life Style. Yet our lovely politicians never make any stand to say "HECK NO" to them that don't believe in the reason, yet grab all the benefits, regardless of the holiday. That all really burns my back side!
Still when those groups come out spilling their objections to what CHRIST - mas is about, I get rather POed that they P & M but take the benefits with out-stretched arms.
I worked many a holiday of all designations. In my businesses there were no extra benefits for holiday work.
I don't think any benefits should be so designated by Federal Government, nor should Federal Government provide any holiday job benefits to Federal employees. Leave any benefits to the business-world to set as they please.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:03 AM
akcub

if not remembering the birth of our Lord and savior , then why call it CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-27-2013, 11:43 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

^^ Don't worry . The progressives are working on that too ! They have already brainwashed some of the sheeple with the "Holiday Tree" so if no one stands up to them they may as well rename Christmas and all the other religious ,political,and military holidays.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:05 PM
brockettman

Remember those who have fallen for our freedom....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60176.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	1886155  
Old 05-27-2013, 01:44 PM
abelard

if not remembering the birth of our Lord and savior , then why call it CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Because for much of the last two thousand years in Western civilization, if you called it anything else you were at risk of being burned at the stake. Powerful way to shape habits.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:49 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

I'd completely support this day by placing American flags; sadly, i'm fully sunburnt. And it hurts. Bad. Really bad.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:48 PM
DISCUS54
My Feedback: (211)

Go to Arlington National Cemetery some time and you will understand why Memorial Day was created. Reason for pause when you see someone bash our Constitution. God Bless all of those who have given their lives so that our Nation may survive. We wouldn't have a bunch of commercialized sales if our self indulgent population cared that the holiday was anything more than another paid day off.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:39 PM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: DISCUS54

Go to Arlington National Cemetery some time and you will understand why Memorial Day was created. Reason for pause when you see someone bash our Constitution. God Bless all of those who have given their lives so that our Nation may survive. We wouldn't have a bunch of commercialized sales if our self indulgent population cared that the holiday was anything more than another paid day off.

It's a big country, and I guess it is celebrated differently in different places. In PA, we have parades in many towns. They are for less than 1/2 the population. The other 1/2 went to the Jersey shore. Memorial Day weekend marks the beginning of summer for many. I do not care what you do, I will not be in favor of forcing a thing on you. Live and let live. Some grieve because on this date the loss was recent. Some remember, some get together at a parade or at BBQ, and some do not give a rat's proverbial arse.

I think it is moronic to say that XXX ruined Christmas or other things along those lines. Nothing can ruin my Christmas. It is time to celebrate in family, following your own family traditions, time to celebrate in church. Nothing will change that. Nothing can change that. I do not care what you do. Not everybody belongs to my religion, I am Catholic. Live and let live.

The bottom line, people fought and died for our freedom and independence. People are still fighting enemies abroad, and enemies within (and yes, there are many here at home). But this fight is for independence, to be allowed to live your life as you wish. So, it is time to take some responsibility and if you think that "external sources killed (or corrupted) Christmas" maybe the problems are not "external", and you should look into your own soul, and have a chat with you pastor, priest, whatever to re-focus. Because if there is a problem, you can see the problem in the bathroom mirror...

My 2 cents.

Gerry

Old 05-29-2013, 07:20 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I am more sick of Christmas corruption. There is NO GOOD REASON for stores to be playing Christmas music now at the end of November other than to get you in the "Christmas Spirit" of spending money on junk that people don't really want or need.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:12 AM
abelard

they may as well rename Christmas
Well, Christians already did that once. Before they took over the winter solstice festival and named it Christmas, it was called Saturnalia by the Romans, and various other names extending back into prehistory.

Remember, we have no idea what Jesus's actual birthdate was; in fact, we can't even pin down the year any closer than "between 3 and 7 BC".