Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Transport Large model on top of Car ??

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Transport Large model on top of Car ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 03:16 AM
tonyos
My Feedback: (48)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transport Large model on top of Car ??

Thanks for all the replys , will give this IDEA UP Now
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62740.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	1892203  
Old 06-16-2013, 03:23 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Transport Large model on top of Car ??

Is that over the max width for your state? Ohio is 8.5 feet max. 8 feet on county roads.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:43 AM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

102" is max allowed in Virginia...
A toy airplane on roof at 110",, probably not going to say anything...

When the plane is in the air how fast does it go.... (?)

And does anything happen to it when flying 50/60 mph in the air.... (?)
Old 06-17-2013, 08:41 AM
tonyos
My Feedback: (48)

Thanks for the reply's it flys slow but could be around 50 MPH not sure , I have had a tiger moth on the roof once and it seemed Ok , have to make some thing to place over the elevator so it stays put but that was it
Old 06-18-2013, 12:18 AM
beepee

Better get your incidence right when you tie it down or you'll rip dem wings right off, long before you get to 50mph!

Good luck.

Bedford
Old 06-18-2013, 12:21 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: beepee

Better get your incidence right when you tie it down or you'll rip dem wings right off, long before you get to 50mph!

Good luck.

Bedford

I was thinking much the same.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:28 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Not only the incidence, but you'll also have an issue with the direction of airflow. It's going up coming off your windshield and turbulent at the back of your roof. That's some pretty big stress on your airframe that isn't there in flight.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:47 AM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

Not only the incidence, but you'll also have an issue with the direction of airflow. It's going up coming off your windshield and turbulent at the back of your roof. That's some pretty big stress on your airframe that isn't there in flight.
+1 that's what I was thinking, sounds like a bad idea to me. You also could very easily damage the plane with debris coming from the road and other vehicles. I still wouldn't risk it but if you have to tie it on the roof, you should at least take the wings off IMO.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:43 AM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What kind of SUV do you have ?? Could the plane be put inside : wings in and fuse tail tilted up from side to side , nose down. It would probably take 2 people but I have done that with a couple of my larger planes . You would also probably have to secure it to something in that position and the wings would probably hang out the back so the tail gate would have to be secured in the up position . Then you will have to be careful of gas fumes in the car.

If you are going to have large planes maybe you should think about getting a trailer . ENJOY !!! RED
Old 06-18-2013, 04:59 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There was a short period around 1996 or seven that I was between my airport lorries and was stuck with the small family car a Buick Skylark. I think it was about a month. I had just started retirement about then and went to the field just about every day, still am with some slowing to watch the grass grow

This occurred during a period that I was flying the britches off my Pica Waco. So what I did was obtain a pair of simple two piece roof racks for a small sedan. had in the past used the rack to carry a canoe. The airplane was positioned fully assembled in the line travel facing forward with the main wheels which if I remember were 4 1/5 inch dubro smoothies, rested directly on the roof just in front of the forward rack crosspiece. Next I placed a cheap foam cooler without the lid upside down directly under the tailwheel. This propped the airplane up directly into the relative wind. The rear rack cross piece was positioned behind and in contact with the rear of the inverted cooler which tended to keep it from blowing out to the rear and some mason line threaded through hole punched in the cooler secured the cooler to the rear rack next numerous quarter in bungees secured the main gear to the front rack and various other strategic places.

This worked quite well for that month although the load and unload time took some extra time. Some of the looks traveling fifty miles per hour down old route 66 were priceless though[8D] That airplane was none worse for the wear and in more recent years I have donated it to our local full scale museum. Unfortunately I haven no photos as that was before I got into these wonderful digital cameras.

John