Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

layaway program ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 01:57 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default layaway program ?

I recently found an ad here where someone sells somem high end equipment as in jets and large scale planes.
He offers a 'financing program' where he sends a PayPal request for $1000 every month. He will then ship the
item after it's paid in full.

Sounds ok so far, the problem is - if you miss a payment, he'll keep the funds and the item.

I understand - if you don't like the terms, do not deal with him. But after all, I think a buyer should get something back in case he can't pay
or his bank messed up, things can happen.

Should this become common practice in a place like this?

Waht are your thoughts?

Old 06-10-2013, 02:12 PM
Warjet
My Feedback: (327)

Default RE: layaway program ?

Something like "a fool and his money are soon parted"?
Old 06-10-2013, 02:34 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the "no job. no credit, no problem" used car dealers !
Really though, if you want a $6K plane and can afford $1K per month but can't put the 1K in the bank each month until you have saved enough to buy it for fear of spending it on something else, you probably shouldn't be in that level of the hobby or go and take a class on managing your money !

Old 06-10-2013, 03:48 PM
OliverJacob

You would think RCU would try to keep this place 'clean' but I got some interesting comment:

Thank you for reporting this for our review.
The seller can state any terms he/she prefers. If the buyer does not agree to those terms, then perhaps they should look elsewhere at other items. It should also be noted that no-refund clauses are very common in retail establishments in lay-away programs.
Thank you,
John
RCUniverse.com

Again - most of us have the common sense to stay away from these offers.
I am thinking of some 18 year old kid desperately wanting that shiny jet and ends up loosing a lot of money.

A certain amount or percentage would be ok, I'd be fine with paying 10% of the item price in case I couldn't come up with the funds in certain cases.

I bought some great items here on RCU, had some very good experiences. It's because the sellers didn't act like 'retail establishments' - more like a friend.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:48 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

This isn't a transaction between friends. This is simple business. I saw that ad too and figured it was one of those contingencies to handle the guys who message him asking to hold an item for a month while they scrape the money together. Of course those broke goobers never come back and buy anything, so he's just going ahead and setting the terms by which he'll deal with them. I'd have to agree with flyinwalenda above. If you are in the market for a several thousand dollar airplane and you don't have the money on hand, then you have no business even messaging someone in the classifieds. The good deals go to the guy who have money and can pay fast. If you want to mess around for half a year then go to the LHS and pay full retail or get some plastic (which would show that you priorities are way off, but it's an option).
Old 06-10-2013, 05:31 PM
OliverJacob

See, that is what I mentioned before.
If you want the seller to hold on to it, make a down payment. When the time is up and you can't come up with the payment, it's gone.
Nothing wrong with a reasonable amount.

And it's a hobby, if you can't pay for it, do not buy it.

There will always be guys who sign their life away and in the end they have to get bailed out by the taxpayer / honest customers...