Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

O.S. Engines

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 01:27 AM
Rotten40851
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default O.S. Engines

I have been using O.S. Engines ever since getting into the hobby in the late seventies. starting with a Max S control line stunt engine( over 50 + engines ). Never, Never have I hada problem withan O.S. Engine like the problems I am having with the latest one I purchased.it's constantly deadsticking at almost every point in the flight, right after take off, right on the approach, halfway through a loop. I am very proficient at tuning and running in engines and have never had an issue with an engine like i have had with this one. And now I think I know why. While movine the box it came in i noticed it says "MADEINCHINA" I have been a loyal O.S. Customer for many many years and have reccomended O.S. engines to everyone i have ever instructed or asked for my opinion, I will never buy or reccomend anO.S. engine again, and I will cherish the ones I already own. This China made AX 65 really sucks, just a warning for you guys. Try to find the older model O.S.Engines that are made in Japan. Man, I remember when something said "Made in Japan" It was of poorer quality, now we are are saying "OH good, it's made in Japan" Sorry for the rant, I just cant believe it, Rotten out!!
Old 06-11-2013, 06:16 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: O.S. Engines

How does the engine run when you put it on a test stand with a good setup for the fuel system? You want the center of the fuel tank level with the center of the carburetor or no less than about 3/8" lower. You want the fuel and vent lines to be free-flowing. Mount a good propeller on it and see how it runs on the test stand. When properly broken-in and adjusted, it should run "all day" at full throttle and throughout various throttle levels. If it will do that when on the test stand, but will not run correctly in the model, the problem is not in the engine, but the engine/fuel system/airframe combination.

Vibration is just about the most common source of engine operating difficulties. Vibration can agitate air into the fuel and cause lean running. The O.S. Max .65 AX has been out for a few years and has an unparalleled record. If you wish, please send it to us so that we can examine the engine and see how we may help you.

As far as the manufacture is concerned, O.S. is like many other companies, and will source parts/manufacturing where they can to help keep costs down. "Made in China" does not mean "low quality". The quality is determined by O.S., not the location of manufacture.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:31 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you'll find that this issue goes far deeper than whether or not an engine runs well, there is a perceived expectation of a "Japan-level" of quality that the Made in China reality does not satisfy.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:47 AM
Rotten40851
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will not experiment further with this engine, I wrecked a brand new Matt chapman Eagle 580 due to the 6 th deadstick. I know about glow engines and the level of feul delivery systems, etc. This particular engine just does not performlike every other O.S. engine I have. The Plane is toasted and the engine willnot be used again. I will give it to a friend of mine who likes to tinker. O.S. support says to send it to them to check out, but Ichoose to not do so and pay any more money for aChinese made engine, If thats what I wanted i would have purchased a Magnum for1/2 the price. O.S. shoud specify the engine was in fact "Made In China"
Old 06-11-2013, 10:19 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Lots of these engines are running without any trouble at all on various airplanes. If your fuel system is solid (sounds like it probably is), then you got a factory defect engine. That happens with the best brands as well as the worst, so there's nothing wrong with sending it back to the factory to be fixed.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:19 AM
topspin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After seeing what has happened to the price of glow fuel I doubt that O S will be making glow motors for much longer anyway. I see they are now selling a line of electric motors and Gasoline engines.

It is too bad though that they felt they had to move their manufacturing to China. Maybe the Tsunami has something to do with it, I don't know. I do know that Chinese engines are usually not of the highest quality.