Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Electric Planes at our field.

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Electric Planes at our field.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 01:06 PM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Electric Planes at our field.

ORIGINAL: bogbeagle

Here's the thing, drac.

I live with this system. Have done for 15 years or more ... and I'm telling you that it works.

You have never used this system ... but you are telling me that it doesn't work.
You haven't got a clue what system i have or haven't used.

Read my post again. I never said that your system doesn't work. What i am saying is that without rules in place to help protect people from getting hurt, there is a higher possibility that someone will get hurt.
If your flying site operates without any problems the way it is setup, then i hope that you will continue to have accident free flying. But if a serious accident does occur, then i don't like your chances of having someone voluntarily take full responsibility for their actions. Especially if it ends up in court.

Does your club have liability and property damage insurance?
Old 07-11-2013, 01:12 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with TexasAirBoss.

Our society is awash with rules from well meaning idiots that think that more rules will create a perfectly safe utopia for all. This is the type of person that wants to outlaw 16oz soft drinks.

How about we take responsibility for ourselves? If you cut off your finger, too bad. Hopefully you will learn from the experience. Maybe you should have flown smaller electric planes for a bit longer to learn electric safety procedures before investing in that giant electric.

Pay attention to those around you. If others are acting in an unsafe manner, it is YOUR responsibility to protect yourself. Either stop what you are doing till the problem resolves itself, go home or find somewhere else to fly.

Funny how all the "smart" rule makers think that someone careless enough to cut themselves up with an electric plane will be careful enough to follow all those rules.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:26 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Daniel-EL

When I was flying in Saudi Arabia we had no rules. People just assumed that everyone present would use common sense. It worked out pretty well.
If this were the case there would be no need for rules alas it is not in most cases so the need for RULES.
There are 2 types of rules 1. Rules to keep people SAFE from them selves and 2. To keep ME safe from people who do not like RULES.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:28 PM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What is funny is all the, "i don't like rules" people, thinking that someone that causes an accident will take responsibility for their actions. Open your eyes. Very few people will take responsibility for their actions.
Someone trips over in the supermarket 'cause they weren't watching where they are going and the first thing they say is it wasn't my fault. Then sue the supermarket owners for not providing a safe environment.
Aeromodelling is no different.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:32 PM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gentlemen, let's please keep this discussion civil
regardless of the rules at the flying field, RCU DOES have rules about what's allowable and what's not.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:00 PM
thepamster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Newer technologies simply require new rules. Who would have ever thought about a rule about texting and driving 10 years ago. Noone.
I think that an arming device should be the main rule and must not be armed at certain places at the facility.
Removing of the battery is too extreme in my opinion and likely not practicle in many airframes.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:25 PM
CGRetired

I moved this to the Clubhouse forum for two reasons.

1. This is where it belonged.
2. Threads like this and radio threads tend to bring out the worse in people with all sorts of nastiness. It does not belong in the Beginners Forum.

CGr.
Moderator, Beginners and Pattern Forums.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:29 PM
ssautter

I fly helis and use throttle-hold.

Problem solved....
Old 07-11-2013, 04:04 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think if thats the clubs rules it's the rules but for you big bad mouthy ones that dont like the rules its easy ,build your own field, drink alot of beer have no rules and fly there and let us know how that works for ya .lol I use( Arming plugs) on my electrict stuff so it does not take my arm off while having my hands inside of my birds. http://www.atsrcplanes.com/arming_switches.htm Its not hard to install a arming plug in your plane and easy to push it in and pull out. lmao joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83974.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	1899555  
Old 07-11-2013, 04:08 PM

Our club came up with several rules to make it safe for everyone.
First, we solved the electric arming problem by banning electric planes altogether.
That also solved the dangerous Li-po problem.

Then, we decided to ban fuel powered planes, because they also can bite fingers,
and besides, the glow fuel and gasoline are flammable, and can also kill the pretty grass.

Then, we decided to ban radios, because we figured if folks had them, they might be
sorely tempted to bring some kind of dangerous model plane with them.
This also effectively banned gliders also, except free flight. But we banned them
too, because they can fly into the sun and then come down and hit you in the chest
and hurt you.

I brought up the idea of just banning all types of model aircraft as being easier to
remember and write down,
but everyone got upset that there wouldn't be enough rules then to argue over.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:12 PM
joebahl

ORIGINAL: 804

Our club came up with several rules to make it safe for everyone.
First, we solved the electric arming problem by banning electric planes altogether.
That also solved the dangerous Li-po problem.

Then, we decided to ban fuel powered planes, because they also can bite fingers,
and besides, the glow fuel and gasoline are flammable, and can also kill the pretty grass.

Then, we decided to ban radios, because we figured if folks had them, they might be
sorely tempted to bring some kind of dangerous model plane with them.
This also effectively banned gliders also, except free flight. But we banned them
too, because they can fly into the sun and then come down and hit you in the chest
and hurt you.

I brought up the idea of just banning all types of model aircraft as being easier to
remember and write down,
but everyone got upset that there wouldn't be enough rules then to argue over.
LMAO
Old 07-11-2013, 04:32 PM
oliveDrab

edited by author to remove pointless drivel.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:23 PM
kiwibob72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to prevent stupid incidents from happening, be it professionally or in a club environment, the best thing you will EVER do is change the culture in that given environment.
Down here, there is an old colloquial term/way of life that has cost many a life, in that "she'll be right". Having been 'given' (dumped) the HE&E portfolio at a large steel merchant that I previously worked for many a year back, that mindset was the hardest thing to change. Once done, it was the best thing I did as people started thinking that it won't just be alright, and they needed to become more aware of themselves and what was going on around them.
Rules are just band aids and guide lines, if you want to protect people from harm, change the way they and the others around them THINK (ie, change the culture).
Old 07-11-2013, 05:31 PM
blvdbuzzard

Joebahl, I did pretty much that. I have my own runway about 300 feet from my garage. I do not drink beer so that part is not an issue. We get together about once a month to tear up the sky.

The main problem I see is that that people who cause the injury, would not follow the rules in the first place. Seeing that they broke the main rule of paying attention to what you are doing.

I bought a new chain saw. I was laughing at some of the warnings in the manual. The one I just about fell out of the chair over, " Do not use while taking a shower" It was in the manual because some one did, sued, won money because it did not say they could not do it.

Rule only work for the people who follow them. No amount of rules well make us all safe and happy.

I stopped flying at the fields in the mornings because there were just to many people doing way to many stupid things. Club Safety officer fires off his new Saito 180 in the pits, Full throttle and scares the peanut butter out of every one, Club treasurer lands his plane in the pits. Yes we had rules against these things, yet, if rules are not followed, what good are they?

Buzz.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:16 PM
DISCUS54
My Feedback: (211)

It only takes once to change your mind about arming switches. Rules aren't necessarily a bad thing...In the pits I try to set up away from the "high risk" flyers. When someone bumps their throttle and the propeller revs up I don't want to be standing next to it...I would pass on all the rules if we could have 100% common sense, but that is not possible.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:47 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

ORIGINAL: blvdbuzzard
Rule only work for the people who follow them. No amount of rules well make us all safe and happy.

Buzz.
U are right but the rules are there to cover the clubs collective Butt. If push comes to shove it is possible to remove the offender/s. The real problem comes when the (More Important People) in the club don't care or don't want to make waves and say things like "We're all here tohave fun and we don't need discontent over some ones bad
(Put any problems from unsafe to just bad flying here)

Old 07-11-2013, 07:00 PM
dabigboy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

804's amusing comment reminds me of gun control laws. Equally silly, and equally ineffective....except with gun control laws, they are actually written law! Anyways......rules take on very different meanings and implications depending on the situation. For instance, we all know that things like the aforementioned no-chainsaws-in-the-shower thing are purely to prevent the chainsaw company from getting sued. People stupid enough to do such a thing are NOT the type of people who would read safety precautions anyway. Heck, even *I* don't read instructions for common home appliances. In a social situation such as an RC field, I feel the rules are useful from two particular perspectives. First, the nice folks who just want to fly safe and get along with everyone will probably take note of the rules and actually heed them.....but since these people would probably try to fly safe anyway, the rules simply serve as a reminder and guideline to safety.

Second perspective: the other category of people would be those who are careless, not mindful of the safety of others (or, indeed, their own), and not respectful of rules. These are the ones who cause the most trouble. In a situation like an RC field, the rules give the rest of the members something to hold up to the reckless member and oblige them to heed. Otherwise, if a member sees someone doing something they are not comfortable with, all they have is their own judgment to hold up. It's much easier to say "you should not do this because it's against the rules" than it is to say "you should not do this because I don't feel that it's safe". Most folks will at least try to accommodate such rules (if grudgingly), once it is urged upon them. If they simply will not listen....that's when you pack up your stuff and go home for the day.

As to the OP's new rule......as a full-scale pilot, I rarely second-guess the personal limits someone has chosen for safety reasons, as long as there is no harm caused by them. In the club's case, I do not blame them for being careful, but I personally feel that these two rules are too restrictive. Particularly, requiring battery removal is quite an egregious one. For many planes, the wing must be pulled. This REALLY sucks if you have 8 rubber bands holding the thing on. Other aircraft have 2 to 4 bolts holding the wing on, plus one or more servo leads that must be disconnected. For a rule to be followed (especially in a "friendly" environment like an RC field), it must be workable, and practical. Things that are a pain to follow, tend to...well, not get followed. The arming switch is a great idea, and simple to implement in most cases. It would also take care of the pit problem, because the motor would not have power, even while the BEC/radio/servos are powered up. Could someone accidentally flick the arming switch and run the motor? Sure....you could also slip and shove your finger through the prop of a glow plane while adjusting mixture, too. Our society is FAR too fearful these days...most cool and fun activities carry some risk. If you are not comfortable with those risks, then, to respect your personal safety decisions, you should not participate in that activity.

There are some more tangible drawbacks to the new rules. As pilots, I'm sure we are all familiar with the concept of breaking the chain of events that leads up to an accident. Constantly removing/reinstalling the wing for EVERY SINGLE TRIP TO THE PITS, for instance, introduces a whole lot more opportunity for a servo lead to not get reconnected (or to be damaged from constant connecting/disconnecting), more time on the flightline (while fiddling with wings and batteries) increases the chance of getting hit by an errant plane on approach, it also increases distractions for other pilots currently flying, frequent wing handling increases the chance of letting a servo or battery lead get caught in a servo control horn, etc. And taking the prop off to do minor pit work? I hate to think what could happen if someone forgets to tighten the prop (or doesn't tighten it all the way) and sends it flying across the flight line and into the pit at takeoff. Remember, mundane tasks become more error-prone the more often they are repeated. It seems like the potential risks are greater than the single risk of forgetting to turn off the arming switch and accidentally bumping the throttle.

Btw, a couple of my ESCs have a built-in arming function...the throttle must be put to idle, run up to full throttle, then returned to idle before the motor will spin. Is this not a much better idea than all the other stuff we've been talking about?

Matt
Old 07-11-2013, 07:22 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I use arming plugs on the bigger stuff, (not the park flyers) and I recommend arming plugs. But I am against mandating arming plugs. This isn't a wreckless camp vs. a safety camp issue as some have portayed. This is a conservative value system vs. a liberal value sytem issue. I do not believe every good idea must be made into a rule or a regulation or a law. I resist the idea of new rules. I also reject the idea that this is new technology that needs new rules. I have flown electrics since the mid-1980's and successfully without the benifit of the safety police looking over my shoulder. There are two seperate issues here that have become intertwined. One is that arming plugs are a good idea in some situations, (not all). The other issue is clubs adding new rules, often arbitrarily. Noone is suggesting that arming plugs should never be used. Noone is advocating unsafe behavior, (such as "drinking alot of beer"). I realize that some people reading this will never understand my point of view. But at least understand which issue we differ on.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:31 PM
joebahl

ORIGINAL: blvdbuzzard

Joebahl, I did pretty much that. I have my own runway about 300 feet from my garage. I do not drink beer so that part is not an issue. We get together about once a month to tear up the sky.

The main problem I see is that that people who cause the injury, would not follow the rules in the first place. Seeing that they broke the main rule of paying attention to what you are doing.

I bought a new chain saw. I was laughing at some of the warnings in the manual. The one I just about fell out of the chair over, '' Do not use while taking a shower'' It was in the manual because some one did, sued, won money because it did not say they could not do it.

I stopped flying at the fields in the mornings because there were just to many people doing way to many stupid things. Club Safety officer fires off his new Saito 180 in the pits, Full throttle and scares the peanut butter out of every one, Club treasurer lands his plane in the pits. Yes we had rules against these things, yet, if rules are not followed, what good are they?

Buzz.
Your a wise man Buzz to get your own field and you are right about most not following the rules .I blame the leadership in the club for these things .Iam a old hat with 35 years as a ama member and the same in two different clubs .I also was an instructer in both clubs and taught them saftey for there own fingers plus all the other saftey rules our club had so no one else got hurt. Its up to the higher up to help watch for saftey but it should be taught to all who learn first while they are learning to fly. I belong to no club now because i only flew at mine 2 times a year but i'am invited to many other club flyins and attend 20 water funflys a year in IL and IN . I fly by each clubs rules and fly safely ,i pick up my trash and help all who ask for it and for these things i have enjoyed my hobby for all these years and made many friends . I see the young ones here still thumping their chest and complaining about having to take their wing off to disarm it or what ever but they have to get the lipo out to charge it safely anyways and dont have a leg to stand on. Is it that hard to unplug a battery in your plane ? if it is you are building them wrong .lmao I got glue drying on my 84 inch twin otter scratch build now and probly won't post anymore here ,so good luck all .BTW when i fly on land i fly on devolopment site with streets that no one uses and at a school parking lot . There are 10 or 12 other's flying at these sites so if ii get one of these youngsters that i know is bad at flying i go to the other site or go home. I would most times rather be building a nice plane anyways. lol BY ALL joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11999.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	1899593  
Old 07-11-2013, 09:31 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

We don't have that rule in either of my two clubs, yet everyone I fly with does that. I think a friendly suggestion would go a lot farther than a rule.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:53 PM
chuckk2

The current crop of arming switches that can handle main Lipo current and voltage are limited to around 65 A or so.
Switches that disconnect power from the RX, or the signal line from the ESC may not be completely effective.
Only one vendors's ESC  (Eflite)  (to my knowledge) supposedly has a switch that inhibits power to the receiver built in\the ESC harness.
 On one model, in replacing the hatch after connecting the battery leads, etc, a corner of my coat managed to nudge the throttle.
I had heavy enough clothes on that although the prop tip contacted my arm, only strong scratches resulted.

The real lesson is to restrain the model when it's ready to fly if you aren't going to fly it immediately , point it in a safe direction anyway,
and stay clear of the prop under all powered up conditions.

As to gas powered engines with electronic ignition - - It's remotely possible for them to fire when power is applied to the ignition module. 
Old 07-11-2013, 10:20 PM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

drac,

If it "ends up in court", then there's nothing voluntary about it.

We have no "club' liability insurance" ... because what I call "our club" does not exist, except in our heads. There is no formal structure of any kind. Absolutely nothing is written down.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:29 PM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If the only things which prevent you from being a fool ... are "the rules" ... then, you aren't much of a pilot.

I associate good piloting with decision-making.

But, that's just my opinion.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:02 PM
owen914

Hi,you guys!
I'm new be here.
Is here anyone deleting comments or to change the topic?
This could really be fantastic.Isn't it?
**********.com is a professional online dealer selling Radio Control Products including
RC Helicopter, RC Cars, RC Airplanes, RC Boats, RC Tanks and RC Accessories. We have
Radio Control Products of world top brands. Walkera, Nine eagles, Dynam, Esky, Art-Tech.
We have the best Mini Remote Control Helicopters and Model Airplanes, as well as Nitro
RC Cars at low price.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:55 AM
karlik

If I'm an electric flyer and see those rules, I asume the club is not crazy about electric flyers.

Our local club has a heli rule - all heli pilots must get an ok from all plank fliers before flying. I'm not paying $100 a year to sit and watch the plank guys fly.

Rules are needed, but it's better to just kick out the idiots who repeatedly cause mishaps than punish everyone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.